Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,192 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
    Taxman-bad_hair_day_(resized).jpg
    Randy_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    00e178b3bfc6e63946bd2d13e625c55f_(resized).jpg
    Boob_(resized).jpg
    DSC02411_(resized).JPG
    DSC02407_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    There are 1,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 24.
    #851 7 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Other then that, the pool closing at 9 had my kids down but that's not the show rules.

There were still people in the pool at midnight.

To add to the comments I made in #249-- there is something else... the bathrooms were not serviced after late afternoon. By the end of the night, the bathroom outside the free play room was pretty bad.

#852 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

... the bathrooms were not serviced after late afternoon. By the end of the night, the bathroom outside the free play room was pretty bad.

Other than basic hygiene issues/challenges among a few pinheads , the bathrooms were my primary complaint. They were just NASTY, no dry hand towels - so people were not washing hands and going right back out to play - EWWW. There was some terrible aim in those stalls. Really terrible.

#no hand sanitizer

#853 7 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Off the rop of my head, the only drawback to me was losing the ability to play the games in the vendor hall at 8 each night. That seemed to be the place to find and try the new titles. I realize the vendors want time to enjoy the show as well and it's good to close up early so they can. Don't know what the solution would be to that? Other then that, the pool closing at 9 had my kids down but that's not the show rules.

The pool was supposed to be open till midnight Friday night and Saturday night. After a complaint I made the reopen it at 10 pm on Friday. Sorry about that.

#854 7 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Other than basic hygiene issues/challenges among a few pinheads , the bathrooms were my primary complaint. They were just NASTY, no dry hand towels. There was some terrrible aim in those stalls. Really terrible.

I think I may ask for an attendent at least in the men's room for peak hours of the show. I had a concern about this as well.

#855 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a terrible idea and would be a huge detriment to the event. The host hotel was sold out LONG before I booked my room, so what is the need for this policy? To make the show less fun for the large group of people who can't get rooms at this paradise?
    I also don't see how trying to shut out people from the free play area is going to help people sell games that they brought - it wasn't exactly a seller's market at the show this year and I saw several get sold at the last minute as they were being broken down late.
    How are you gonna enforce it anyway? You really going to have somebody working the door at 1 am telling drunks they can't play pinball in a mostly empty room just because they don't have a room there?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The show was great this year and I'm recommending it to all my NYC friends - and all these people are busy and can't decide to go the show until late anyway when the host shithole is booked solid anyway. You are gonna make me look bad.
    A more productive approach would be to ask the hotel if they might consider cleaning the mold out of their rooms and updating some of the dumpy carpet and ceiling tiles. I know, silly idea but in the long run this might benefit the show (and the hotel) more than trying to shut enthusiastic pinheads out of the late night festivities because they don't want to sleep in a moldy/musty dump or booked late.

How do you really feel?

#856 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vector:

Oh, and Lexi Lightspeed. I got to see the inside of MultiMorphic's P3 system. I've been working on games for 30 years, and haven't seen anything like it. It's a brilliant design. I'm on the pre-order list and am very much looking forward to getting mine!

Thanks Allan. We sincerely appreciate that feedback. It's obviously been a ton of effort by a team of folks, and the resulting design delivers on our vision. Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth, Cannon Lagoon, and ROCs exemplify the versatility of the platform by delivering completely different experiences, and we're signing up new game developers every month. Couple the ever-growing game library with our serviceability improvements, and we think we've created something that all pinball consumers can enjoy. We're looking forward to shipping machines to customers (expected later this year).

Huge thanks to Gabe and the rest of the Pintastic team for putting on an amazing event. Everybody was incredibly nice, helpful, and well-organized, and we enjoyed seeing old friends and making new ones.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

2016-07-08_11.14.06_(resized).jpg2016-07-08_11.14.06_(resized).jpg

#857 7 years ago

Show is great. Hotel rooms were definitely the downside of the weekend. I thought the bed was ok but the room smell bothered me. Really just slept there and showered. But unless there are renovations made I'll stay elsewhere when I come to the show.
    There has to be some buying power in a group like ours. I stayed Thursday Friday and Saturday. My hotel bill was almost $350. I don't mind spending on quality, but honestly, that was a $50 - $75 a night hotel at best.

#858 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

The hotel has another 100 rooms available on Friday night. I just did not block them off because I don't know how to keep people from booking els were. Hotel selling out is not the issue.

right. we had a problem with the air and bedding arrangement in our first room and moved us immediately. space was not an issue

#859 7 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Show is great. Hotel rooms were definitely the downside of the weekend. I thought the bed was ok but the room smell bothered me. Really just slept there and showered. But unless there are renovations made I'll stay elsewhere when I come to the show.
    There has to be some buying power in a group like ours. I stayed Thursday Friday and Saturday. My hotel bill was almost $350. I don't mind spending on quality, but honestly, that was a $50 - $75 a night hotel at best.

they should fill that pool in. that would likley reduce or eliminate the mold/must problem. it would also be an awesome place to set up a bunch of pins

#860 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I think I may ask for an attendent at least in the men's room for peak hours of the show. I had a concern about this as well.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the bathroom in the hall between the free play area and vendor area was kind of a disaster area. There was so much water (at least, I hope it was just water) on the sinks and floor, you could almost go swimming. Putting a spare roll of brown paper towels on the sink where they got soaked wasn't ideal, nor was putting them on top of the dispenser where everybody else's wet hands were all over the roll. At one point, I noticed that someone shoved paper towels down one of the toilets for some reason too

With that many people flowing through the building for the event, the bathrooms really needed attention more than just once a day.

#861 7 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

they should fill that pool in. that would likley reduce or eliminate the mold/must problem.

You still have the lake across the street. Eliminate the pool might not help.

LTG : )

#862 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

My only concern of the show as well. 2pm on Saturday, the Men's room in the hallway between Free Play and Auction/Bar looked like it had a river flowing through it. Neither men's room had functioning hand towel dispensers. Twice I took my son out of there with wet hands. Once I let him dry with my shirt, and once I brought him to the car.

Other than that, we thought the show was great. Our first show in general, and after reading the Allentown threads, I was frightened of dealing with "show staff" (especially as I was bringing a game). Instead, the staff at Pintastic was absolutely awesome to deal with!

Side note: Those damn manual hand towel dispensers with the thumb/index spinning wheel need to be made illegal. They always jam! We have one at work which rarely works as well. Push bar, hand sensor, auto dryer, or GTFO!

#863 7 years ago

The show was great. Hotel itself my friends, kids and I all felt was decent and if not better than others I've stayed at recently. Don't change that Gabe. You will raise too many new questions and problems. Just keep tweaking your show as you have been and it will consistently get better every year.

My suggestions.
    • Improve foot traffic to the vendor area, by mixing free play machines with vendor areas throughout the show.
    • Bigger signage, and maybe electric signage describing what is located where.
    • Move the tournament to the vendor hall, this will allow more people to see the tournament, and also increase vendor foot traffic.
    • Raffles you need to be there when your name is called. If not there at that moment, you lose..
    • Somehow, create a parts table that a staffer runs, this will then provide replacement parts that are likely to fail in the free play area. The show can inflate the price a bit, but not to the point where you feel like you're being taken advantage of.

What I think worked great?
    • Free play games still going late Saturday. This has always been the greatest complaint at all shows. Genius idea raffling off the pin for games still left. Please continue this tradition if possible.
    • Love the family atmosphere. My 9 year old attended his first show here, and had a blast. No reason to expand the kids / family stuff but definitely don't scale it back.
    • Stern Staff, having the ability to casually converse with the stern staff really was great, and was something I haven't experienced in a pinball show before. Lyman, and Ritchie both gave me great insight into the inner workings of Stern and both were impressive.
    • Hotel Staff, and staff at the concession were very friendly, and the food was quick to come out. Nice to be able to buy a beer and walk around the show with it.
    • Auction, was fun and had some good deals, hopefully this returns as well.
    • Hotel grounds, were well kept, free mini golf and pool was a great break for the family.
    • Web Site this year was a HUGE improvement over last year. Electronic payments, and checkins seemed to be greatly improved as well. Great job here.
    • Pinball Sales truck with the project pins was just what the flea market needed. Hopefully they return next year.

Great job Gabe, and all his staff. Can't wait till next year.

#864 7 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I'm not sure that is a fair assessment. Their are a few hotels close by for $80 a night. But I would say they are in much worse shape than the host hotel. Remember you must stay at the host hotel for entry into the after party and possible 24hr game room.

#865 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

The show was great. Hotel itself my friends, kids and I all felt was decent and if not better than others I've stayed at recently. Don't change that Gabe. You will raise too many new questions and problems. Just keep tweaking your show as you have been and it will consistently get better every year.
    My suggestions.
    • Improve foot traffic to the vendor area, by mixing free play machines with vendor areas throughout the show.
    • Bigger signage, and maybe electric signage describing what is located where.
    • Move the tournament to the vendor hall, this will allow more people to see the tournament, and also increase vendor foot traffic.
    • Raffles you need to be there when your name is called. If not there at that moment, you lose..
    • Somehow, create a parts table that a staffer runs, this will then provide replacement parts that are likely to fail in the free play area. The show can inflate the price a bit, but not to the point where you feel like you're being taken advantage of.
    What I think worked great?
    • Free play games still going late Saturday. This has always been the greatest complaint at all shows. Genius idea raffling off the pin for games still left. Please continue this tradition if possible.
    • Love the family atmosphere. My 9 year old attended his first show here, and had a blast. No reason to expand the kids / family stuff but definitely don't scale it back.
    • Stern Staff, having the ability to casually converse with the stern staff really was great, and was something I haven't experienced in a pinball show before. Lyman, and Ritchie both gave me great insight into the inner workings of Stern and both were impressive.
    • Hotel Staff, and staff at the concession were very friendly, and the food was quick to come out. Nice to be able to buy a beer and walk around the show with it.
    • Hotel grounds, were well kept, free mini golf and pool was a great break for the family.
    • Web Site this year was a HUGE improvement over last year. Electronic payments, and checkins seemed to be greatly improved as well. Great job here.
    • Pinball Sales truck with the project pins was just what the flea market needed. Hopefully they return next year.
    Great job Gabe, and all his staff. Can't wait till next year.

You know what else was great? Almost all the games working all the time, mostly thanks to you, Eric.

#866 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

Pinball Sales truck with the project pins was just what the flea market needed. Hopefully they return next year.

Indeed. I probably spent more money on the stuff coming out of that truck than anywhere else.

#867 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You know what else was great? Almost all the games working all the time, mostly thanks to you, Eric.

I can't take the credit for that. I helped but Tony D was the MAN!

#868 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You still have the lake across the street. Eliminate the pool might not help.
    LTG : )

I thought that was the leach field for the septic system. Or at least that's what it smelled like.

#869 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

Raffles you need to be there when your name is called. If not there at that moment, you lose..

That reminds me--it was nearly impossible to hear any announcements in the free play room. From the middle of the room, I could sort of hear that there was something being broadcast over the speakers, but by the time I made my way over to the speakers to hear what it was, the announcement was over.

So--a few suggestions: better sound coverage, louder volume on the speakers, and/or repeat the announcement a second time for folks like me who tried to get to a speaker to hear what was being said.

#870 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That reminds me--it was nearly impossible to hear any announcements in the free play room. From the middle of the room, I could sort of hear that there was something being broadcast over the speakers, but by the time I made my way over to the speakers to hear what it was, the announcement was over.
    So--a few suggestions: better sound coverage, louder volume on the speakers, and/or repeat the announcement a second time for folks like me who tried to get to a speaker to hear what was being said.

This is true for every show I ever go to. I don't think it's really easily fixed with so many games going. Itd be tough for sure imo

#871 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I thought that was the leach field for the septic system. Or at least that's what it smelled like.

Come on man it's a freash water lake. This is Sturbridge were in the country. Why do people always have to emphasis on the few negative things when so many other things were so great. Be happy we have a show that is growing in New England. It's takes 1000's of hours to put on a show like this.

#872 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Come on man it's a freash water lake. This is Sturbridge were in the country. Why do people always have to emphasis on the few negative things when so many other things were so great. Be happy we have a show that is growing in New England.

I kind of think some city folks are simply accustomed to heavily filtered and treated water, and not a living body of water.

#873 7 years ago

More like 7,000 hours ?

#874 7 years ago

First pin show experience for me - had a blast! Helping my good friend Dr. Dave out with the Best in Show judging was a ton of fun (guess it pays to be super OCD haha). Meeting so many people who share the passion was easily the best part. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to and playing games with a lot of you guys - really made me wish there was more time! Many thanks to Gabe, the 3 Daves, Gerard, Tony, Dan, and all other staff, volunteers, vendors, and collectors involved.

So excited for next year that I got in touch with Gabe and Gerard and, if all goes as planned, I'll be joining the team and putting my art and graphic design background to use for Pintastic 2017. I already have some ideas (including improved signage as mentioned above) and can't wait to contribute. Hoping to help make Pintastic hands down the best looking show out there.

-Joel

#875 7 years ago
    Quoted from mudflap:

More like 7,000 hours ?

ONE-MILLION-HOURS_(resized).jpgONE-MILLION-HOURS_(resized).jpg

#876 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Big thanks to Tony Dziedzic, Dave Metrando, and Lloyd Olson (straight from the airport) for filling in, and winging it. There were enough questions, and prodding from me as moderator, to fill out the hour. It was all ad hoc, no prepared material!
    .................David Marston

The pleasure was mine. It was an honor being asked and participating on the panel with Tony and Lloyd. Most of the questions were solid state related which is not my forte'. Kudos to those who attended as well for being engaged and for asking great questions. Perhaps an idea for next year is to have an EM panel discussion/question and answer session and a separate solid state panel. Food for thought for next year. ...you call David.

.................Dave Metrando

#877 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Come on man it's a freash water lake. This is Sturbridge were in the country. Why do people always have to emphasis on the few negative things when so many other things were so great. Be happy we have a show that is growing in New England. It's takes 1000's of hours to put on a show like this.

Dan-- I was just messing around. The lake was a little more... uhhh... odoriferous than most bodies of water, but I wasn't there to swim in the lake in the first place.

#878 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Have to agree. Look, the hotel is old and does need updating. My room however, was clean, there were no bed bugs and the bed was comfortable. How many awake hours do we spend in our rooms anyway? Overall, with some little tweaks, this venue will be fine for a pinball show going forward. So lets concentrate on the low hanging fruit/easy fixes for next year and look forward to another awesome weekend.

#879 7 years ago

In my case, I'm not even sure if passing out qualifies as sleeping.. Either way the room fit my needs perfectly.

#880 7 years ago

There were a few issues with my room but seeing how I was in there for about 7 hours total and six of those were spent sleeping, I'll give the place a pass.
    Drinking beer, playing pinball until 2am, and having a convenient place to crash, far outweighs anything wrong with the accommodations.

#881 7 years ago

The only negative of the entire show for me was:
    Mayfair prices.

I'm of the opinion, if you don't like something , change it. So next year I'll be renting a vendor booth in the freeplay room with ample parts, roms, maybe some common boards, rubbers and the like.

The most important part, at somewhere near marco prices

#882 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I'm not sure that is a fair assessment. Their are a few hotels close by for $80 a night. But I would say they are in much worse shape than the host hotel. Remember you must stay at the host hotel for entry into the after party and possible 24hr game room.

Maybe it's not a fair assessment compared with the hotels in the area. I'm not familiar with what the local pricing is. I'm used to staying in more touristy areas where the competition for your hotel dollar gets you a better bang for your buck.
    I don't want to be negative, and I posted a positive thank you for a good time/great job with the show earlier in the thread. But the conversation was about the hotels. Just like you are tweaking things to have a better show next year, so am I.
    One of the things that would make me have a better show would be a hotel room where I wasn't feeling like I was sucking it up for 3 nights while spending $350.
    If that means that I miss out some show perks then so be it. That would just go in my evaluation for returning the following year. If I feel like I really missed out, maybe I come on Friday, stay Friday night and leave early Saturday instead of the full 3 days.
    Again, you did a phenomenal job with the show and I know that you put in countless hours I'm making it the best show possible. Thank you for that. I am looking forward to coming again next year.
    Please don't take the hotel personally. It's not your hotel, it is what it is. Hopefully they do the renovations they're speaking of and all will be great.

#883 7 years ago

The show was great. My only complaint was that the adultish-oriented Temple of Wow vendor was right next to the kid-popular Lego Mini-figure vendor.

The hotel was fine - if I want 4-stars I'll go to Vegas.

#884 7 years ago

To Gabe and crew, you obviously put a lot of man hours and quality time putting this together. Just getting the vendor hall filled is a job in itself. The free play area was perfect, and I doubt it could be improved upon. With the exception of more machines coming in, but that isn't on you.

What you accomplished I feel was a perfect show. The things out of your control, (hotel related), may be addressed for next year as an improvement. Public rest room cleanliness should be at the top of the list.

Ken did a wonderful job checking in machines for the free play area. Maybe next year someone could be assigned a desk at the free play area to notify owners when there is an issue with a machine. The paper cards would sometimes disappear from a machine. Maybe another method is the answer. For machines that are for sale, why not issue a different colored card stating "For Sale"?

Absolutely no regrets with the show. Well done!

#885 7 years ago

I think for me, the big complaint (which is not big at all) was finding the ticket counter. I walked in and had no idea where I was going. Because the tickets were sold on the same side as the front doors, unless you did a 180, you missed it. I walked around to the left before coming back and seeing a place where it might be. I guess this goes towards the signs issue, but considering that was my only issue with the show, I'd say it was a job well done.

Actually now that I think of it.... the damn cards on the pins.... hard to read the phone numbers and names on some of them ... 4's and 9's looked the some. 6's and 0's were looking similar. Is the name Rob or Bob..... some of the cards were a bit tricky to see and you don't want to stare at them for a while when people are waiting to play

Location was pretty good ... easy to find, easy off highway access, easy to get food, not far from major cities, plenty of parking, plenty of room to walk in the halls between areas, not crazy crowded due to lack of space..... I think it went well

#886 7 years ago
    Quoted from VegasMike:

The show was great. My only complaint was that the adultish-oriented Temple of Wow vendor was right next to the kid-popular Lego Mini-figure vendor.
    The hotel was fine - if I want 4-stars I'll go to Vegas.

Yeah, I overheard a few complaints about that as well

In all fairness, there was some prominent strong language displayed, as well as topless women in some of the artwork.

#887 7 years ago

I found Mayfair's prices to be...well....fair. =)

Especially when I was pressed for time and needed a few system 1 displays, I eyed a few at a booth with a bunch of cellophane wrapped boards at a booth across from the raffle table. Should have went to Mayfair first as Mayfair had like new condition displays for $30 each. I got ripped off paying $45 and even bought 2 at that price! Saw Mayfair's display of displays a few minutes afterward and was a bit pissed that I got snookered. Bought another one from Mayfair to get the total display cost down per piece.

Quoted from the96stang:

The only con of the entire show:
    Mayfair.
    I'm of the opinion, if you don't like something , change it. So next year I'll be renting a vendor booth in the freeplay room with ample parts, roms, maybe some common boards, rubbers and the like.

#888 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

The hotel has another 100 rooms available on Friday night. I just did not block them off because I don't know how to keep people from booking elsewhere. Hotel selling out is not the issue.

We arrived Thursday around noon, and tried to get a room till Sunday at the Host. They were sold out of all rooms. So we walked across the parking lot to the Super 8 who had rooms. I guess lesson learned, book earlier. The Super 8 was in nicer shape, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time there anyhow. They did have giant Old Sturbridge Village art in every room, so I think we know who paid for the recent renovations. The host does need some updating, I mean tube TV's in 2016 seems a bit dated. Maybe the Host should put Jersey Jack art in every room and Jack can pay for the renovations.

If we were not able to come late night to the free play room, we would not have had anywhere near as much fun. Some friends visited and also stayed quite late because they lived locally.

Quoted from dannunz:

Anyone think we should do a small 24hour room with 20 pins?

Please, please, please, please!

#889 7 years ago

We were very fortunate to have had a great turnout of volunteers for the free play repair team - and nearly all of those who signed up, showed up, and put in serious hours. These folks deserve a big "THANK YOU!" for giving up time they could have spent enjoying the show to help keep games running:

Erin & Mark S.
    Gary D.
    Brian H.
    Mark J.
    Brian McC.
    John M.
    Kevin P.
    Paul P.
    Eric B.

The "above and beyond the call of duty award" has to go to Brian McCauley. Brian managed to hand-fabricate an outhole kicker link for one of the vendor-area "boutique" games from a Gottlieb bakelite flipper link, getting the single copy of that game operational for the entire show. McGuyver would have been proud!

And special thanks to my old friend Allan Davidson from Aardvark Pinball for being a source of all those odd parts I forgot to include in my spares kit...

#890 7 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

The only con of the entire show:
    Mayfair.

One booth come on man you can fill at least 2 booths lol

#891 7 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Maybe it's not a fair assessment compared with the hotels in the area. I'm not familiar with what the local pricing is. I'm used to staying in more touristy areas where the competition for your hotel dollar gets you a better bang for your buck.
    I don't want to be negative, and I posted a positive thank you for a good time/great job with the show earlier in the thread. But the conversation was about the hotels. Just like you are tweaking things to have a better show next year, so am I.
    One of the things that would make me have a better show would be a hotel room where I wasn't feeling like I was sucking it up for 3 nights while spending $350.
    If that means that I miss out some show perks then so be it. That would just go in my evaluation for returning the following year. If I feel like I really missed out, maybe I come on Friday, stay Friday night and leave early Saturday instead of the full 3 days.
    Again, you did a phenomenal job with the show and I know that you put in countless hours I'm making it the best show possible. Thank you for that. I am looking forward to coming again next year.
    Please don't take the hotel personally. It's not your hotel, it is what it is. Hopefully they do the renovations they're speaking of and all will be great.

The VIP super pass will not be changing much. The hours may get tweaked a little. But we may be adding an extra perk if you stay at the hotel. Hell with this perk you may not want to sleep at all lol

#892 7 years ago

I've been to just this show. Both years. I live 50 minutes away. I was only able to be there Friday. I had a great time. The flea market seemed sparse and I was a little disappointed but I think I checked it around 11am or so? Around 12 or so I started thinking where are the seminars and when? Why isn't there any signage saying what the lineup is? I was on my way to the ticket counter to ask and I bumped into a league friend who told me it was in the program. I didn't get one. Totally my fault. I think I was in a hurry to see everything. Have to agree with the announcements being hard to hear. But! The staff was great! Gabe you and your guys did a outstanding job!!!!!! Take a bow!!!!

#893 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

[Suggested changes:] Raffles you need to be there when your name is called. If not there at that moment, you lose..

I noticed that quite often, the person *was* there, but did not yell out anything or raise his/her hand, and just quietly walked out from way back in the crowd. We'd be more willing to cut that person some slack if they yelled "I got it" as soon as they realized they had a matching number. It's one of those irrational aspects of human nature. I have a couple ideas that will help.

#894 7 years ago
    Quoted from ejacques:

Now that I've finally slept....it's time to reflect on my first show bringing games. Thanks to BrIan (the96stang) taunting me for months, I brought 8 games this year to the show. After moving 8, I have no clue how he does it and physically doesn't fall apart. I was on the back wall directly across from him.
    Like Brian, I struggled with some games giving me fits....but thanks to Dave Madore and several others I was able to keep them running. (Thanks Dave for finding my phantom 4th ball on Getaway - aka a light bulb stuck in the trough!) My games were actually fairly reliable for the weekend, and the four that I sold spent most of the weekend on the Freeplay floor. (Big thanks to Rob from Australia for leaving Getaway until the end)
    Foolish me went to the flea market....and now I have a garage full of project games, project boards and other parts. Prices in the flea market were great and were definitely open to discussion.
    I personally found the hotel to be fine...I've stayed in way worse hotels that cost way more. My kids even had fun with the free mini golf, although I wanted to rebuild a few of their holes for them.
    Big shout out to Gabe and the rest of the organizers....I can't imagine how difficult it is to run a show like this. Apologies for being that new guy that had tons of questions, but in the end it all worked out great.
    And finally, as far as food goes.....one word....BT's.
    Thanks all!
    Ed

Ed--I agree that Brian is a work horse and always willing to help. A definite asset to the hobby...Just look at how many games he's brought to the area....Thanks Brian!

#895 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

I can't take the credit for that. I helped but Tony D was the MAN!

I did not know that, and my apologies and thanks to Tony!

#896 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I noticed that quite often, the person *was* there, but did not yell out anything or raise his/her hand, and just quietly walked out from way back in the crowd. We'd be more willing to cut that person some slack if they yelled "I got it" as soon as they realized they had a matching number. It's one of those irrational aspects of human nature. I have a couple ideas that will help.

What if I won and was stuck at freeplay room or something....

#897 7 years ago

I would suggest people claim their raffle by a certain time frame and then, if they don't claim it by then it gets redrawn at the next round of raffles. The game bringer tickets are a thank you, there shouldn't be too many conditions. Maybe you are working on a game, or playing in the tournament. Too much going on at once to force people to be anywhere at a specific time.

#898 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:Dan-- I was just messing around. The lake was a little more... uhhh... odoriferous than most bodies of water, but I wasn't there to swim in the lake in the first place.

Um, that was Gabe ... I'm Dan.

#899 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That C37 was really nice...I was wondering whose it was.
    Normally, I'm not much of an EM player, but I went back several times to that game--very challenging!
    Was the playfield a restored original, a clear coated NOS, or something else?

The playfield was touched up and auto clear coated with a matte finish. I like the gloss finish on newer games but think the matte looks more appropriate for an EM. At the time I couldn't find anyone local who was setup to to do an auto clear so I sent it out to HSA pinball for the touch ups and the clear. I thought he did a great job and would use him again.

Here's an example of what things looked like in the beginning. Playfield had a few areas where it looked like water damage and missing areas of paint. The cabinet and head were pretty rough as well. I ended up replacing the whole front of the back box with a new face since the original was delaminating so much. HSA keeps a gallery of all his playfield work here if you want to see more pics.

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa040215c37.html#grid

c37_before_(resized).jpgc37_before_(resized).jpg

20140907_114546_(resized).jpg20140907_114546_(resized).jpg

#900 7 years ago

I want to thank my team of volunteers who helped make it possible to judge all 8 different categories of games for best in show awards.

They all possessed an OCD like talent that was needed all weekend with so many games to consider.

Thanks goes out to:

Joel dG.
    Maureen O.
    Bruce W.
    Paul B.

-Dave (Doc)

There are 1,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pintastic-new-england-show-2016-thread/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.