3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,192 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 373 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
    Taxman-bad_hair_day_(resized).jpg
    Randy_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    00e178b3bfc6e63946bd2d13e625c55f_(resized).jpg
    Boob_(resized).jpg
    DSC02411_(resized).JPG
    DSC02407_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

There are 1192 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 24.
    #701 3 years ago

Having left Pintastic around noon today, I've finally settled in and can report on my experience.

I knew it was going to be a rough weekend when I entered the show and quickly realized that douchebag Taxman had spammed the show with pictures of me on the walls with various unflattering remarks. This one says "not wanted," but there were other equally awful captions in different areas of the show:

13615138_10210062109696248_6277015646401631275_n_(resized).jpg

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, people started defacing the picture so that by the time I left today, it looked like this:

13599967_1148611508493063_7303845560859553821_n_(resized).jpg

To add insult to injury, my wife hung out with those douchebags Yzfguy and Shlockdoc and got fully loaded. When I found her, she looked like this:

20160708_214151_resized_(resized).jpg

Then she disappeared. When I texted Yzfguy to see if he knew where she was, this is the text I get back from him:

IMG_20160708_215804772_resized_(resized).jpg

You can really tell how loaded she is in that shot. But when I finally found the guys, she was nowhere to be found. "She left with three other guys," Yzfguy tells me.

Luckily, I found my wife alone and passed out in our hotel room. She still feels like shit, even now.

And now, the highlights of the show:

Meeting Dendoc and his wonderful family and wearing the pin his daughter gave me that said "Aussie Bad Girl"...I enjoyed being one for the day. Thanks, buddy...hope you had a safe (long) trip home!

Hanging with Rcbrown, Rferullo, Gabe, ForceFlow, Taxman, the Mezels, and all the wonderful Pinsiders I met for the first time (sorry I missed Balboarules!). The best part of these shows is meeting all the great people associated with it, which brings me to...

John Youssi was a great guy and put on a great seminar. The hour flew by--as did Lloyd's seminar (and man, am I glad he was there!)--and I wish it had gone on longer.

Most shocking moment: John Trudeau saying hello to me by my real name. I couldn't believe the guy knew who I was. Must be the socks pulled up to my ass.

Second most shocking moment: I LOVED Ghostbusters. Played it at 8 this morning with Dave Marston looking on and got the GC score of 340 million (I think). I don't care about the flipper gap, and I never felt cheated. Great game. Ugly as sin, but still a great game.

Many thanks to Gabe for another wonderful show, and I can't wait to do it again next year. He wins the award for the greatest swag at any show, ever. I bought one of everything.

If you missed it this year, don't make the same mistake again next year.

#702 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Having left Pintastic around noon today, I've finally settled in and can report on my experience.
    I knew it was going to be a rough weekend when I entered the show and quickly realized that douchebag Taxman had spammed the show with pictures of me on the walls with various unflattering remarks. This one says "not wanted," but there were other equally awful captions in different areas of the show:

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, people started defacing the picture so that by the time I left today, it looked like this:

To add insult to injury, my wife hung out with those douchebags Yzfguy and Shlockdoc and got fully loaded. When I found her, she looked like this:

Then she disappeared. When I texted Yzfguy to see if he knew where she was, this is the text I get back from him:

You can really tell how loaded she is in that shot. But when I finally found the guys, she was nowhere to be found. "She left with three other guys," Yzfguy tells me.
    Luckily, I found my wife alone and passed out in our hotel room. She still feels like shit, even now.
    And now, the highlights of the show:
    Meeting Dendoc and his wonderful family and wearing the pin his daughter gave me that said "Aussie Bad Girl"...I enjoyed being one for the day. Thanks, buddy...hope you had a safe (long) trip home!
    Hanging with Rcbrown, Rferullo, Gabe, ForceFlow, Taxman, the Mezels, and all the wonderful Pinsiders I met for the first time (sorry I missed Balboarules!). The best part of these shows is meeting all the great people associated with it, which brings me to...
    John Youssi was a great guy and put on a great seminar. The hour flew by--as did Lloyd's seminar (and man, am I glad he was there!)--and I wish it had gone on longer.
    Most shocking moment: John Trudeau saying hello to me by my real name. I couldn't believe the guy knew who I was. Must be the socks pulled up to my ass.
    Second most shocking moment: I LOVED Ghostbusters. Played it at 8 this morning with Dave Marston looking on and got the GC score of 340 million (I think). I don't care about the flipper gap, and I never felt cheated. Great game. Ugly as sin, but still a great game.
    Many thanks to Gabe for another wonderful show, and I can't wait to do it again next year. He wins the award for the greatest swag at any show, ever. I bought one of everything.
    If you missed it this year, don't make the same mistake again next year.

LMAO, I had so much fun. At least Mrs. Beelzeboob can hang! Too funny, man. Sucks it's over.

#703 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

LMAO, I had so much fun. At least Mrs. Beelzeboob can hang! Too funny, man. Sucks it's over.

At least YOU can spell my name right.

#704 3 years ago

Does anyone know what the Haunted House pin in the auction sold for? Thanks

#705 3 years ago

Have we got the final results for the tournament? Stuck at LAX for another 3 hours drinking my membership fee away. Miss all you guys and gals already! Will have to organize an Australian show and you can all promise to come over an attend.

#706 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Does anyone know what the Haunted House pin in the auction sold for? Thanks

1050+10%buyer prem+6.25%sales tax

#707 3 years ago

Also, I think the spectrum went for $425, and atari airborne avenger for $175 (non-working)

None of the jukeboxes sold.

#708 3 years ago

I had fun meeting new faces and catching up with folks.

The show seemed to go very well from what I saw, and games were getting played constantly. There were even quite a number of pins still on the floor even after the 8pm closing time, and very few empty spots until around 11pm.

The seminars that I sat in on were interesting and entertaining, and it was a treat to see big industry names in person.

Thanks Gabe, Mudflap, and Dave for running an awesome show

#709 3 years ago

What sort of play counts did everyone get?

Play counts for my game (dynomite) :

Thur: 35
    Fri: 144
    Sat: 220

Total: 399 plays for the show, without a single problem.

#710 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

None of the jukeboxes sold.

Those were killing me. I really wanted one of the CD jukeboxes, but I didn't have room for an extra doughnut in the truck coming home.

#711 3 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

Have we got the final results for the tournament? Stuck at LAX for another 3 hours drinking my membership fee away. Miss all you guys and gals already! Will have to organize an Australian show and you can all promise to come over an attend.

1- Lyman
    2 - jerry
    3 - Bruce nightengale
    4 - me
    5 - Tim sexton

#712 3 years ago

Wife and I had a great time. Bought a nice Cyclone and had a pretty good game on Ghostbusters.

image_(resized).jpeg

#713 3 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and seminars. As a first timer, I got to meet many great people that gave great advice. Hats off to the event coordinators as well as Allen Davidson from Ardvark Pinball, David Marston, Dave Metrando, Lloyd Olson, and so many more.
    The free play area was set up with a wide selection of EM and SS games that appealed to all who attended.

Very well done guys!

#714 3 years ago

In reading all the way through the threads for the Allentown show and the Pintastic show, I notice a completely different feel between the two. I've never been to either one:

1. Allentown show seems to be a bit bigger, with lots more machines being sold.

2. Allentown show had quite a large flea market, a smaller scale at Pintastic.

3. Lots and lots of negative comments about machines leaving the free play area early at Allentown, and not one single negative comment about that at Pintastic.

4. Several negative comments about 'enthusiastic' staffer's at Allentown, not one negative comment along the same regards at Pintastic.

5. Lots of comments about game pricing at Allentown, haven't noticed it for Pintastic.

I'm guessing there are several Pinside members that attend both shows, and that both shows have their strong points and weak points. If a person could only attend one of the events, and both were equal travel time, how do you choose which one to go to?

#715 3 years ago

Wow what a show! Had too much fun on Friday night with Francesco, Ed, Brian, Jay and Bob that I couldn't move when I woke up Saturday morning. I drove home disgusted with myself for missing the seminars on Sat. Thanks Gabe and Dave for all of the hard work and endless hours that you and the crew put in! This show was well planned and executed. Thanks to everyone who brought their games to share in the free play area. I was having such a good time playing that I missed the pinside meetup on Thur and Fri . I had planned on running into rcbrown, E3N, Pmaino. I did meet Beezleboob briefly while breaking the bad news to Gabe about the Congo leaving early.

Ejacques and Kidwilco introduced me to BT's Smokehouse down the road on Friday night where the line stays continuously out the door!

Big thanks to Tony who helped me with Congo. He texted me an alert during dinner that the switch was down and could he inspect inside the pin. He confirmed the switch was bad and when I finished eating he quickly installed a new switch which he had on hand. Big thanks to Shawn for helping me get Congo off the floor!

Its a pleasure being part of a community where everyone is so friendly and gracious with their time. I received a free 2015 Pintastic shirt from Chris (Irishbastard),thanks so much! It was great being able to approach John Trudeau to ask him to sign the translite for the couple who bought Congo. Even though I had already wrapped her up he was more than happy to help me unwrap and remove the translite to sign. Had a great time talking with John Youssi, jGraffix and Tony the lego guy in the freeplay area. Next year I will pay closer attention to the schedule and run into some more of you! Hope the rest of you enjoyed Saturday. Thanks again Gabe!

#716 3 years ago

Having been to both Allentown and Pintastic, I definitely would give the edge to Pintastic.

Allentown had the wow factor with a large number of machines in free play, however, the majority of them were in rough shape and either not tuned in or just outright unplayable. The really good games were either gone before the show started or had left before Saturday. Pickup the vibe of people trying to sling machines and make a quick buck so more of an overpriced tag sale feel. Lots of vendors and a pinball tournament.

Pintastic was fun to watch come together from Thursday night to Friday. When I walked in I was like "This is it?" to when I left on Friday saying "That was awesome". There were more than enough machines to play and almost all of the ones I played were up and running without any issues. That being said, it seemed like there were less for sale and more just brought for the sheer purpose of letting others play them. The separation of everything was a huge plus to me. Tournament was in one room, seminars/panels were in a separate room, free play had it's one room, auctions, vendors, etc. Definitely appreciated that aspect of the venue. Feel was a more family friendly environment. I brought my 4 kids on Friday and felt safe with them roaming together and they were easily found if separated. Door prizes, programs, courtesy of the staff, friendliness vibe of the crowd were great.

So if I could only go to one and was going solely to enjoy playing pinball and hanging out with fellow enthusiasts or bringing my family, Pintastic. If I'm going with the sole intent to buy or sell a machine for sheer volume of machines, Allentown. Who knows though, Pintastic is in its infancy so it seems like it can only become a larger version of itself. I know I'll be bringing at least one machine next year for others to enjoy.

pintastic_(resized).jpg

#717 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

In reading all the way through the threads for the Allentown show and the Pintastic show, I notice a completely different feel between the two. I've never been to either one:
    1. Allentown show seems to be a bit bigger, with lots more machines being sold.
    2. Allentown show had quite a large flea market, a smaller scale at Pintastic.
    3. Lots and lots of negative comments about machines leaving the free play area early at Allentown, and not one single negative comment about that at Pintastic.
    4. Several negative comments about 'enthusiastic' staffer's at Allentown, not one negative comment along the same regards at Pintastic.
    5. Lots of comments about game pricing at Allentown, haven't noticed it for Pintastic.
    I'm guessing there are several Pinside members that attend both shows, and that both shows have their strong points and weak points. If a person could only attend one of the events, and both were equal travel time, how do you choose which one to go to?

It's not really necessary to trash one show to praise another. They are both good. Allentown had a lot more games - even after the exodus began. But pintastic certainly had a "quality over quantity" thing going on, and it was a buyers show while Allentown was a sellers show. I really like how late the free play is open...Allentown closes early, and then you are in Allentown so good luck finding anything to do.

Allentown has the great farmers market. Pintastic has a lot of excellent eating options right next door including a seafood place, thai, fast food, and a couple of bars including one outside by the lake. Also a huge liqour store.

One big issue at the pintastic show that should be addressed is the vendor area - it's separate from the tournament and free play area and I'm guessing vendors weren't too happy about that. They need to do a better job of letting people know where the vendors are and what they have to get potential customers out there.

It was a great show and I shall return!

#718 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Big thanks to Tony who helped me with Congo. He texted me an alert during dinner that the switch was down and could he inspect inside the pin. He confirmed the switch was bad and when I finished eating he quickly installed a new switch which he had on hand. Big thanks to Shawn for helping me get Congo off the floor!

The whole tech team was really great but Tony definitely went above and beyond! Mattmarr mentioned how NGG had an issue with one of the posts on Friday that was repaired in his absence. When we came back for the final pickup, the problem had resurfaced. Tony took the time to fully troubleshoot the entire assembly, fix another small problem that cropped up *and* walk me through some basic things that I can do to help keep it running smoothly. I can't thank him enough for helping us out!!

Besides that moment, the entire tech team was extremely organized and on top of things. I reported a couple of issues that I came across, and in every case, the machines were back up and running soon afterwards. For anyone considering bringing games to share in the Free Play area next year, know that the tech support at Pintastic is superb!

#719 3 years ago

Had a great time this weekend at the show, and came last year too. I brought my family, niece and nephews yesterday and they all had a great time. Will all be back next year. I had my friends come up last night and they got there late (~6:15) but there were still lots of games on the floor and a bunch of games from the vendor room moved over and were awesome. I had fun showing them the games to play as they are not "pinheads", but they thoroughly enjoyed every one. They almost walked out with one, or a Vertigo from VP Cabs. The Rapscallion was great (drank the IPA most of the weekend) and the over-all family feel (kids got balloon animals and their faces painted), availability of quality games and seminars were excellent. Already looking forward to next year.

Oh yeah, both family and friends played that NGG and all LOVED it. Almost picked it up, but lacking funds and space. Common problem!

#720 3 years ago

Great show Gabe, and everyone else who made this possible. The wife and I fulfilled our goal of bringing a game for freeplay and it ran all weekend with only minor issues that were easily addressable. We were glad we could contribute even if only one machine. Everybody at the show was respectful of others machines. Allowing others to get a turn when their game was over. Several people thanked me for sharing my game at the show which was not expected but nice. I got to play a lot of really great games. I bought too much stuff from the vendors. Got to meet the Dutch pinball guys and talk about playing. The Big Lebowski stole the show I think, it was my favorite. Rob Zombie is loads of fun and would love to own one of these. My wife loves WOZ and of course I really enjoyed that to. For gameplay only I have to say Game of Thrones PRO was the most fun. The only game that was a letdown IMO was Hobbit but that's just me. GB was a blast but it's a close second to GoT gameplay wise. I didn't sell BSD but then again I priced it high because I really wanted to come home with it (but would hand it over plus cash for a GoT PRO. We look forward to next year! Last thing the Vertigo arcade/pinball machines were a really cool twist on gaming.

#721 3 years ago

I had a wonderful time at the show.
    Many thanks to Gabe and all the volunteers, vendors, presenters, haulers, and owners for providing the Silverball Nirvana that Pintastic 2016 was.
    Hope to see you all again in 2017.

image_(resized).jpeg

#722 3 years ago

I'd like to thank everyone for coming! stay tuned for the official Pintastic 2017 announcements and post show photos on our website in the next few days.

#723 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

One big issue at the pintastic show that should be addressed is the vendor area - it's separate from the tournament and free play area and I'm guessing vendors weren't too happy about that. They need to do a better job of letting people know where the vendors are and what they have to get potential customers out there.
    It was a great show and I shall return!

Im surprised that was an issue because people had to go to the Vendor room to play Big Lebowski, Rob Zombie, AMH, The Hobbit, WOZ, SMVE, GB, etc. There were some decent lines for them. If you wanted to play them, you had to go there.

My only minor complaint was in the Free Play room. They grouped all the popular games together and it created a bottleneck right in the middle of the room. I assume the best games were Gabe's which is why they were all next to each other, but better spacing may have alleviated the congestion. In the back of the room, there was no one there.

Overall it was great.

#724 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

The whole tech team was really great but Tony definitely went above and beyond! Mattmarr mentioned how NGG had an issue with one of the posts on Friday that was repaired in his absence. When we came back for the final pickup, the problem had resurfaced. Tony took the time to fully troubleshoot the entire assembly, fix another small problem that cropped up *and* walk me through some basic things that I can do to help keep it running smoothly. I can't thank him enough for helping us out!!
    Besides that moment, the entire tech team was extremely organized and on top of things. I reported a couple of issues that I came across, and in every case, the machines were back up and running soon afterwards. For anyone considering bringing games to share in the Free Play area next year, know that the tech support at Pintastic is superb!

Agreed, can't thank Tony enough. Such a nice guy who went above and beyond in my opinion. Tony was the only member of the tech team that I worked with, so no offense to the other part of the crew, I have no doubt you all are amazing too.

Did anyone get pictures of the best in show winners? So many gorgeous machines. I grabbed this one of the BK2000 when the lights were off last night, it was even more stellar in person.

Awesome show, great people, and the games really were top notch. People clearly were bringing quality stuff. Thanks to all involved!

20160709_215659_(resized).jpg

#725 3 years ago

Final tear-town. I'm all packed up and ready to hit the road. Can't wait till next year

20160710104722102_(resized).jpg

#726 3 years ago

Had a friend pick up a perfect Black Knight backglass for me on Friday. I am really excited about having this game restored and having it in my arcade.

#727 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Wow what a show! Had too much fun on Friday night with Francesco, Ed, Brian, Jay and Bob that I couldn't move when I woke up Saturday morning. I drove home disgusted with myself for missing the seminars on Sat. Thanks Gabe and Dave for all of the hard work and endless hours that you and the crew put in! This show was well planned and executed. Thanks to everyone who brought their games to share in the free play area. I was having such a good time playing that I missed the pinside meetup on Thur and Fri . I had planned on running into rcbrown, E3N, Pmaino. I did meet Beezleboob briefly while breaking the bad news to Gabe about the Congo leaving early.
    Ejacques and Kidwilco introduced me to BT's Smokehouse down the road on Friday night where the line stays continuously out the door!
    Its a pleasure being part of a community where everyone is so friendly and gracious with their time. I received a free 2015 Pintastic shirt from Chris (Irishbastard),thanks so much! It was great being able to approach John Trudeau to ask him to sign the translite for the couple who bought Congo. Even though I had already wrapped her up he was more than happy to help me unwrap and remove the translite to sign. Had a great time talking with John Youssi, jGraffix and Tony the lego guy in the freeplay area. Next year I will pay closer attention to the schedule and run into some more of you! Hope the rest of you enjoyed Saturday. Thanks again Gabe!

Nice meeting you Chris....Glad you saved the idiot walking around the parking lot asking people if they wanted a free t-shirt from further embarrassment lol....Boy I got a few weird looks....You'd think I was in a beat up van with a "free candy" and "Pet my puppy" sign...

#728 3 years ago

For the A-Town vs Pintastic...

Both shows are good, A-Town has that awesome farmer's market, but also has those assholes in the golf carts....My main reason, other than the drive, for no longer going to A-Town is those golf cart toolbags.. .The toothless one does not know how close he was to being gagged and tossed in my trunk.....So, to avoid the life bid, I will be attending Pintastic exclusively from now on

#729 3 years ago

Not going to say anything negative about Allentown because it's not a contest. Both were a lot of fun.

One feature I really enjoyed about Pintastic was how late the free play area was open. We played till we couldn't stay awake anymore then slept in the truck and made our way back this morning.

Also I decided I NEED a Revenge from Mars

#730 3 years ago

What a great show! Gabe, Dan, Dave and the entire crew killed it! Makes you proud to be a New England pinhead! Well I got the boys back to the airport safely, I have never driven that slow in my life. Steve and John must think I am a total pussy! Talk about two great guys! It was so cool meeting them and shooting the shit for a while......They represent all that is great about this hobby! My Ransom for the ride was simple.......A picture for me to always remember the time I met two legends!

image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

#731 3 years ago

Who are some of these people who don't respect proper pinball etiquette? How many times did you come upon an abandoned game with the ball waiting in the shooter lane, have to wait in line behind someone playing a 4-player game by themselves, or be waiting to play a high-demand machine only to have the person at the high-demand machine next to it immediately switch to the one for which you're waiting once it's abandoned (since apparently being at the machines puts one first in line)? No idea how to improve such things other than via magical powers of some sort. Didn't have any such problems at the Lebowski or Automated Services machines...do people just get sneaky in low lighting?

Also, greatest pinball show ever. More crowded than last year. Was cool to see Steve Ritchie come down amongst the free-players and visit those playing his machines.

#732 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tubes:

Who are some of these people who don't respect proper pinball etiquette? How many times did you come upon an abandoned game with the ball waiting in the shooter lane, have to wait in line behind someone playing a 4-player game by themselves, or be waiting to play a high-demand machine only to have the person at the high-demand machine next to it immediately switch to the one for which you're waiting once it's abandoned (since apparently being at the machines puts one first in line)? No idea how to improve such things other than via magical powers of some sort. Didn't have any such problems at the Lebowski or Automated Services machines...do people just get sneaky in low lighting?
    Also, greatest pinball show ever. More crowded than last year. Was cool to see Steve Ritchie come down amongst the free-players and visit those playing his machines.

I thought it was much better this year. Once I found a game with a ball in the shooter lane in the free play area but none of the other issues. The RZ, TBL and GOT I arrived with a person playing that when they were done handed it over to me next. When I finished I would spin around and if someone was behind me I'd hand it over also.

#733 3 years ago

It's always tough to follow up a successful first year show in year 2, but it happened.
    I and my kid had a terrific time.

The FP area IMHO was superior in year 1...but there were still plenty of great games to play, and many different titles compared to last year.
    My highlights:

The Big Lebowski: Wow, all I can say there. Terrific, unique game that I cannot wait to visit, as a friend ordered one, and I will have access once he receives his copy.

Dynomite: Was a thrill for me to play the first ever solid state pinball machine. If I wasn't so afraid about being able to keep it working, it would be here as I write. Thanks FF for bringing to the show.

C37: When I sold that to Brian - it was a C+ copy.
    I have never seen so much of a before and after improvement of a pinball in my life. Came out gorgeous.

Thanks for the beer Scott.
    Thanks for breakfast Dave H.
    Thanks for the parking lot vape JR
    Special thanks to Paul H of Paul's Pinball Palace and his wonderful wife Donna for help supervising my daughter while I was working the show.

Thanks Gabe and crew for a terrific couple of days.
    We are all looking forward to next year.
    Allentown has true east coast competition now!

#734 3 years ago

We will have more signage next year to help with this issue. We do encourage children to play, some of them don't quite understand how to properly start a game. This can lead to adding players and abandoning games that don't seem to end.

It's also possible that some folks had a few beers and we're playing with their imaginary friends.

#735 3 years ago
    Quoted from mudflap:

We will have more signage next year to help with this issue. We do encourage children to play, some of them don't quite understand how to properly start a game. This can lead to adding players and abandoning games that don't seem to end.
    It's also possible that some folks had a few beers and we're playing with their imaginary friends.

You all did an amazing job - I can't imagine the time and effort to put on a show like this - thank you!

And as far as comparing shows, who cares? The more the merrier!

#736 3 years ago

Congrats to Anthony the ultimate door prize winner!!!

image_(resized).jpeg

#737 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I got mugged by Lloyd.

Yeah -- he does that -- kinda a thug!

???

#738 3 years ago
    Quoted from mudflap:

There were a couple of games on unusual settings, too. I played an F14 that was set to 5 balls; I could easily see how someone might walk away after ball 3.

I had a wonderful time at my first pinball show! Gabe and the folks running the show did a great job. Thanks to Dave at Aardvark for doing some work on a machine for me, all the folks who brought free play machines, and the Sanctum crew who brought a bunch of great games.

Can't wait for next year!

#739 3 years ago

My Best in Show judging team and I enjoyed evaluating and playtesting the games people brought this past weekend.
    Lots of great condition games from each era made choosing the best in each category challenging but very enjoyable. =)
    Here are the WINNERS of the coveted Blue Ribbons for Pintastic's Best in Show 2016:
    Antique: Bob Thurman for his 1932 Mills Official
    (Didn't have the chance to snap a picture of this one. Please post one if you snapped one)
    1960's: Dave Metrando for his 1963 Gottlieb Swing Time
    Dave_Metrando_Best_60s_Pintastic_2016_(resized).JPG
    1970's EM: Dave Metrando for his 1971 Gottlieb Bristol Hills
    Dave_Metrando_Best_70s_EM_Pintastic_2016_(resized).JPG
    Early SS: Allan Davidson for his 1983 Williams Defender
    Allan_Davidson_Best_early_SS_Pintastic_2016__(resized).JPG
    80's Alpha: Nick Maniatis for his 1989 Williams BK2K
    Nick_Maniatis_Best_80s_Alphanumeric_Pintastic_2016_(resized).JPG
    90's DMD: Tony Dziedzic for his 1993 Williams Twilight Zone
    Tony_Dziedzic_Best_90s_DMD_Pintastic_2016_(resized).JPG
    Modern: Dave Madore for his 2013 Stern Metallica
    Dave_Madore_Best_Modern_Pintastic_2016_(resized).jpg
    Special mention: Gabe D'Annunzio for bringing his tricked out collection for us all to enjoy including the now blue ribbon adorned tricked out 1996 Midway/Williams Scared Stiff. (A news organization recorded me attaching a Blue Ribbon to this one. Anyone have the link?)
    Gabe_Special_Best_Pintastic_2016_(resized).JPG
    -Dr. Dave
    Best in Show Coordinator

Added over 3 years ago: Correction on Swing Time. It is a Williams not a Gottlieb.

#740 3 years ago

Gabe and his crew did another amazing job ! Thank you for another great Pintastic experience !

LTG : )

#741 3 years ago

Had a great time at the show. When I got there I ended up playing Hobbit my first game - first time I ever played it and put up 2,700,000. I'm so sorry to all the people who waited behind me for the 40 mins it took to do that. I didn't know any of the rules to the game, but I apparently beat the dragon and cleaned its clock. Is The Hobbit as easy as it seemed or was that just a stroke of luck?

...I agree though that it isn't nearly as "fun" as WoZ.

Everyone was very courteous, letting the next person in line go. The only people who I noticed ignoring this were people who clearly were here for the first time and kids.

My one suggestion to Gabe and crew might be to have a number players can text to notify staff of issues with a game. There really was no posted procedure for this and sometimes the issue doesn't make the game unplayable, but could be just as important. One game, I forget which, had a ball coated in some sort of white powder stuff. Upon closer inspection, the whole bottom of the pf was covered in it and it must have come from something - I would have loved to let the owner of the machine know but no clue how to do that. Perhaps tape a card to each free play game that says "Problems with this game? Text xxx-xxx-xxxx with "Game # xxx" and the problem". Some games like Bansai got progressively worse and it would have been cool to let the owner know it was on the way out before it died.

Gabe's games were all awesome as usual - strong flippers, excellent condition, and great titles. I was so impressed with the quality of the EM games. Just amazing NIB quality on so many of them.

My other suggestion (not that this was a big issue) would be to increase the early exit fee for free play games to $100. I had a buddy who sold his and said the fee was definitely not a deterrent and should have been higher and he might have kept it there. FWIW.

Thanks again for an awesome show, Gabe and crew. Can't wait until next year.

#742 3 years ago

Gabe and his crew did a fantastic job this year. Freeplay selection was very diverse (although the abundance of Batman Forevers there was kind of funny), freeplay in the vendor area was fabulous, and the ability to FINALLY play some "never will be able to buy" pins like Lebowski, Lexy Lightspeed and The Hobbit was great. While it is true that there were some machines left mid-game, and some people were playing 4-player games by themselves, for the most part, I didn't witness that much hogging. If you stood behind someone waiting for a game, he usually would give it up after he had finished.

Best games in the freeplay area were Gabes' tricked up pins. In particular, his Tales from the Crypt was brilliant. I never thought much of the game until I played it there--now it's on my "would love to buy" list.

My only complaint--and it's a really minorl quibble, really--is that a number of games in the vendor area seemed to be pitched a bit steep so that it was really difficult for shots to make it all the way up the ramps. This was particularly true with Lebowski, The Hobbit, WOZ and Games of Thrones Premium. Since so many of the cool things in these games happen on higher levels, it was a bit disappointing that the flippers couldn't make the shots all the way up there. But that's a totally minor thing. Great job, and looking forward to next year's event!

#743 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

My other suggestion (not that this was a big issue) would be to increase the early exit fee for free play games to $100. I had a buddy who sold his and said the fee was definitely not a deterrent and should have been higher and he might have kept it there. FWIW.

Personally, I don't think anything with the early removal policy/fee would need to be changed (speaking from the perspective of an attendee). There were plenty of incentives to stay for owners, and several games that sold on Thursday were there until late Saturday night. I was impressed with the number of games that remained on the floor the whole weekend, which was a stark difference from other shows. I didn't see early removals as an issue.

Quoted from mrgregb123:

My one suggestion to Gabe and crew might be to have a number players can text to notify staff of issues with a game. There really was no posted procedure for this and sometimes the issue doesn't make the game unplayable, but could be just as important.

I agree--I don't recall seeing any signage for game attendants. Maybe a few signs around with number or QR code (for the number) could be helpful. Or, maybe even a sticker with a QR code placed on each game card (ie, "scan this if there is a problem with this game")--but some cards might be place too far away on the game to be scanned well. Or, maybe a mildly tacky sticker with that QR code could be placed on the glass near the player somewhere.

Either way, from what I noticed, very few games were down, and when a game had issues or stuck balls, it didn't stay that way for long.

#744 3 years ago

At 2 am on Saturday night when the lights went up, there were still 20-30 playable games in the free play area, easy. And before 8pm many more than that.

Early removal was not an issue at this show, at all.

I mean what else do you want from a show? At 1:45 am and you can still get in a game of time fantasy, game of thrones, or Hollywood heat, you gotta be a happy camper.

#745 3 years ago

This was our fourth show. We really only had two complaints and they were not even about the show. Our room was very musty smelling and the bar was missing a bartender 2 of the 3 times we tried to get a drink. That's it. Some things I noticed that really made it awesome:

1. incredibly well organized with tons of different stuff to do/buy. Gabes attention to every detail was outstanding
    2. having it at the hotel was fantastic for many reasons
    3. having free play open til 2am? insane!!!!
    4. the percentage of games that were set up fast with strong flippers and operational was huge compared to what we have seen. we got to play WAY more games even though there weren't nearly as many as other shows. Overall the quality of the games was superior
    5. the omelette I had was the best ever
    6. beelzeboob introduced me to a bunch more people. Thanks Randy!
    7. met trudeau and ritchie. awesome!
    8. courteous staff at the hotel
    9. teddy g's was really good
    10. it did not feel congested with regards to getting to playing all the different games
    11. the location was super easy to get to even though we are 5.5 hours away
    12. after party food was fantastic

the only regret i had was that we came home empty handed. i somewhat attribute that to the stringent policy on taking free play games out early but I totally respect the need to have that. next year I will try to stay the extra day as we had to leave sat am.

#746 3 years ago

One of my favorite moments.

image_(resized).jpg

#747 3 years ago

We stayed at the palatial and beautiful Super 8 next door, which was really nice and newly renovated.

I heard many complaints about musty rooms with the distinct whiff of mold, and generally it seems like the host hotel is a bit of a dump that hasn't been overhauled since the carter administration based upon the carpets and ceiling. Seems like they could up their game a little hopefully sometime soon.

I'll be back at the super 8 next year.

On the plus side the host hotel was on it's game for concessions and beers and it's undeniable that it's nice having the show at an actual hotel. But it might be time to upgrade that shag.

#748 3 years ago

Yup, I agree on the hotel. The hallways smell of mold and the carpeting throughout is pretty nasty. The building is in great need of lots of rehab. We have stayed there in years past going to Brimfield. As the years go by, you can see the decline in upkeep.

#749 3 years ago

After spending 20hrs a day for the past three days on my feet I am just now logging onto Pinside to catch-up on the postings. I plan to post a more heartfelt thanx to the volunteers that worked both Security and Technical Support but for now I want to say a simple "thank you!". As much as providing a game in the Free Play area this show would not exist without the efforts of the volunteers. From people signing up on the Pintastic website, to people walking up to me and asking "how can I help". From first timers that could only attend for half the day and "still" volunteer their time to people that work other shows from neighbouring states wanting to see Pintastic succeed (thanx Tim!!!). And a special thanx to ForceFlow for posting all these wonderful pictures (I think you may be getting a call from the Pintastic team in the near future regarding Pintastic 2017) - Dan

#750 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

One of my favorite moments.

We all knew you were short Gabe, but not Hobbit sized! You look like Bilbo standing next to Gandalf!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 64.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 19.95
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 29.04
    Playfield - Plastics
    F14 Tomcat Slingshots Out of stock
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    There are 1192 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside