image (resized).jpg
A8A15D38-FBA7-456C-8A01-B9B0F4544F69 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3739 (resized).jpg
IMG_3738 (resized).jpg
20221016_102313 (resized).jpg
20221012_203451 (resized).jpg
20221016_102401 (resized).jpg
20221016_102129 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 5 years ago

Thought I would archive my Getaway touch-up for those who may come after me. For my repairs, I needed to match black, bright blue, neon orange, and yellow for the areas I wanted to repair.

Here is what I discovered given my playfield condition (which I would consider to be good with minimal, if any, fading) and the Createx airbrush paints | https://createxcolors.com/airbrush-colors/fluorescent-opaque-colors/5201.html (I used a regular brush to apply and cured with a heat gun between coats)
- Black: Used the black straight out of the bottle
- Bright/Light Blue (inner line around Free Ride & other inserts): Mixed 4 drops Opaque Blue with 2 drops Opaque White and it was a dead on match for me
- Fluorescent Orange (outer line around Free Ride & other inserts): Mixed 15 drops Fluorescent Orange with 1 drop Opaque White and it too was a dead on match
- Yellow (stoplights): No matter what I tried, I could not hit this color. I experimented like crazy but could never achieve the ever slight goldish yellow color. I finally gave up and made a decal then covered it with Mylar.

After curing all paint, I double top-coated with Createx gloss clear, rewaxed with Carnauba, and voila - a much improved look for my pin.

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Thanks for the entry. I have Createx airbrush paints, but have never used them with a brush. Does it brush on easily (I think it's thinner than craft paints)? Your results look good.

Yes, I used a very fine artists brush. Also, I did this before I bought one of those headbands with the magnifying glasses on them. I did it all freehand, but if I had it to do again I know I could do a much better job and would probably tape off for straighter lines. There were actually several inserts I touched up, and they are all still looking great with no sign of wear today.

You do have to be patient and use several coats (I think I did 3 on the lines then 6 or so on the deep areas to build up the paint). Also, I loved that you have to use heat to cure it. Made it easy to wipe off mess-ups and try again until I was satisfied.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

On the limited backglass airbrush work I've done, I used a hair dryer for heat after each coat, and even then I was afraid of cracking the glass. Is a heat gun okay to use without damaging playfield inserts?

A couple of things. I used on low setting, focused on just the paint area, and I kept it moving for just a few seconds. It doesn't take that much heat/time, so the inserts never really got hot. If a hair dryer did the trick for you then that sounds like a viable alternative also.

3 years later
#141 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I got a couple areas on my Freddy pin that have some cracks and some wear, not terrible but wouldn't mind touching up and protecting the area some. Would you say just the touch up alone helps protect any damage from potentially spreading ? Do you apply a clear coat right over the touch up area at all?

Use Createx or some other airbrush paint. It is water soluble for easy cleanup and even though it is air brush paint you can apply with a regular artist paint brush. Apply in thin layers and set each layer with a heat gun/hair dryer. When color is done you can apply a layer of their clear and set that with heat too. It end up being quite durable and I have used it in several high traffic areas.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Electronics
Cobra Amusements
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-touch-up-paint-color-thread?tu=Mr_Tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.