image (resized).jpg
A8A15D38-FBA7-456C-8A01-B9B0F4544F69 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3739 (resized).jpg
IMG_3738 (resized).jpg
20221016_102313 (resized).jpg
20221012_203451 (resized).jpg
20221016_102401 (resized).jpg
20221016_102129 (resized).jpg
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Different threads have been started in search of a paint touch-up color for a certain pin. Different colors are needed for playfield, cab, or backglass. I'm hoping this thread will provide a searchable reference containing paint types and formulas pinsiders have used so those who follow can find a starting point for their particular touch-ups.

What's worked for you?

PLEASE INCLUDE THE FULL NAME OF THE MANUFACTURER AND PIN AT LEAST ONCE IN YOUR POST so users can search this thread by machine even if they don't know its acronym.

Certainly, each pin can vary in color fade and aging based on a number of factors like past care, use, and environment, but I'm hoping those of us who've done it already can provide a starting point for others.

#3 5 years ago

Here's some background for my posts. I thought it might be helpful to those who are interested. Feel free to skip this long post or to get some popcorn!
I have just about every color of Michael's basic acrylic craft paint, as well as some premium satin colors.

When I first bought the paints, I dipped a popsicle stick in each color to provide a quick way to see the color of the dried paint to aid in matching and mixing.

To get all of the basic paint colors, I had to buy some in matte and others in satin. My color formulas will include whether I used matte or satin. (I wasn't trying to match glossiness, it's just what I used.)
I will use "parts" to give ratios. My "parts" were drops of paint into a mixing cup.

Different pinsiders have different methods. I'm sure there are better ones, but that's how I've been doing touch-up.
My goal in touch-up is to improve appearance and, for playfields, to protect, without spending a ton of money. My work isn't high-end, and I'm no artist. (The TNT Amusements touch-up guy is in no danger of being replaced by me!) I have all EMs, so all my pins are 40+ years old.

IMG_1748 (resized).PNGIMG_1748 (resized).PNGIMG_1749 (resized).PNGIMG_1749 (resized).PNGIMG_1750 (resized).PNGIMG_1750 (resized).PNGIMG_1757 (resized).PNGIMG_1757 (resized).PNG
#4 5 years ago

Bally Freedom

I used Michael's acrylic craft paint

-Playfield cream mix: 5 parts Ivory matte, 1 part Grey matte
-Playfield light aqua mix: 4 parts Ocean Breeze satin, 3 parts Holiday Green satin, 2 parts Dark Blue satin
-Playfield dark aqua mix: 5 parts Aqua satin, 3 parts Holiday Green satin, 3 parts Dark Blue satin
-Playfield yellow mix: 10 parts Yellow premium satin, 1 part Holiday Green satin
-Playfield red mix: 10 parts Red premium satin, 1 part Grey matte
-Spinner white mix: 10 parts White satin, 1 part Grey matte

Here are some before and after photos I took of this one:

IMG_1789 (resized).PNGIMG_1789 (resized).PNGIMG_1790 (resized).PNGIMG_1790 (resized).PNGIMG_1791 (resized).PNGIMG_1791 (resized).PNGIMG_1792 (resized).PNGIMG_1792 (resized).PNGIMG_1793 (resized).PNGIMG_1793 (resized).PNGIMG_1794 (resized).PNGIMG_1794 (resized).PNGIMG_1795 (resized).PNGIMG_1795 (resized).PNGIMG_1796 (resized).PNGIMG_1796 (resized).PNGIMG_1797 (resized).PNGIMG_1797 (resized).PNGIMG_1798 (resized).PNGIMG_1798 (resized).PNG
#5 5 years ago

wolverinetuner I like the idea of this thread! Do you have example post to get this started? Such as “I found Americana Fake Blue matches perfectly with the blue swirl in the lower playfield of 1968 Bally Fake Machine”
Something like that?

#6 5 years ago

Lol ok I was 18 seconds too slow with my question

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I start with keeping this paint set on hand.

I've never gotten paint tubes. You, sir, are more of an artist than I!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Lol ok I was 18 seconds too slow with my question

Sorry, it took a long time to finish my first actual paint color post with all the photos.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I've never gotten paint tubes. You, sir, are more of an artist than I!

No artist at all...just frugal....set can run like $25-30 on sale.

Love the thread!

#10 5 years ago

Gottlieb Roller Coaster

-Playfield blue: 5 parts Powder Blue satin, 5 parts Hunter Green satin, 2 parts Denim matte
-Playfield red: 5 parts Cherry premium satin, 3 parts Hot Pink

These are photos after touch-up. The ball drop marks in the in-lanes show the red match, it was down to undercoat or bare wood.

IMG_1732 (resized).PNGIMG_1732 (resized).PNGIMG_1737 (resized).PNGIMG_1737 (resized).PNGIMG_1741 (resized).PNGIMG_1741 (resized).PNG
#11 5 years ago

Williams Blue Chip

-Spinner white mix: 10 parts Vanilla satin, 1 part Grey matte
-Playfield yellow mix: 10 parts Yellow premium satin, 1 part Orange satin, 1 part Holiday Green satin
-Playfield green mix: 12 parts Apple Tart satin, 5 parts Bright Palm matte, 1 part Black satin
-Playfield light blue mix (good for small spots only on mine): 10 parts Island Blue matte, 2 parts Orange satin, 2 parts Royal Blue matte, 1 part Yellow satin
-Playfield red mix: 5 parts Red premium satin, 1 part Dark Yellow satin
-Playfield dark blue mix: 5 parts Mediterranean Blue matte, 1 part Black satin
-Playfield white mix: 10 parts Vanilla satin, 1 part Bright Yellow satin

#12 5 years ago

Gottlieb Sure Shot

I used Michaels acrylic craft paint

-Cabinet green: I didn't write it down, and I no longer own the machine, but I believe I used either Grass Green satin or Hunter Green satin, straight out of the bottle

#13 5 years ago

Love this thread idea! Following as I need colors for an EBD Playfield

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Love this thread idea! Following as I need colors for an EBD Playfield

Great! I'm hoping pinsiders can come to this thread, search the full name of the pin, and find what others have done.

#15 5 years ago

Gottlieb Snow Derby

For this backglass, which was in rough shape, I first scraped and airbrushed a bunch of letters, numbers, and the white around the score reel windows (I used Createx air brush paints for that, but unfortunately didn't record the colors or mixes). Then I sealed the back with Triple Thick and then touched up the artwork over the Triple Thick. I then brushed on grey paint as a back mask over all but a small portion of the artwork (I purposely did not touch up the nose of the snowmobile and the rider's torso and head so that at least some of the artwork would remain translucent, even though it had some dots of paint missing also). This allowed me to touch up artwork to greatly improve it, but rendered it opaque, which was a good trade-off in this case.

The following backglass colors include areas originally opaque and areas originally translucent, all of which ended up opaque. The only exception was the snowmobile rider's yellow hair, which I touched up without backmasking, because the brushstrokes looked like hair.

-Backglass Flesh tone: Deep Coral satin straight from the bottle
-Backglass Orangish brown: Burnt Orange satin straight from the bottle
-Backglass Pinkish red: Cherry premium satin straight from the bottle
-Backglass orange mix (this turned out lighter than I wanted, but it looks a little like snow flying out from under the snowmobile anyway where I used it): 5 parts Dark Orange matte, 1 part Bright Yellow satin
-Backglass yellow mix: 10 parts Yellow satin, 3 parts Holiday Green satin, 10 parts Yellow premium satin
-Backglass dark blue: Peacock Blue matte straight from the bottle
-Backglass light blue mix: 11 parts Neon Blue matte, 2 parts White satin
-Backglass white mix: 5 parts White satin, 1 part Grey matte

Here are a couple "after" photos (the "before" photo I have doesn't really show how bad this one was to start).

IMG_1801 (resized).PNGIMG_1801 (resized).PNGIMG_1802 (resized).PNGIMG_1802 (resized).PNG

#16 5 years ago

I haven’t delved into playfield color matching yet - but i have matched a cabinet color. Ok the computer did it but it would’t of if i didn’t ask it to lol. I wheeled the cab right into the paint store and matched the unfaded blue that was preserved under the side rail. Two interations and came out great

1980 Stern Flight 2000 cabinet base color:

A9B09DF0-8D57-4F88-BAEF-01FCD36773C7 (resized).jpegA9B09DF0-8D57-4F88-BAEF-01FCD36773C7 (resized).jpegB8598427-FE59-4531-A7A0-EAC4A76041B7 (resized).jpegB8598427-FE59-4531-A7A0-EAC4A76041B7 (resized).jpeg
#17 5 years ago

Williams Triple Action

-Playfield dark blue: Royal Blue matte straight from the bottle
-Playfield orange: Orange Sherbet satin straight from the bottle
-Playfield pink mix: 8 parts Neon Pink matte, 1 part Orange matte, 1 part Red satin
-Playfield light blue mix: 13 parts Robin's Egg Blue matte, 2 parts Denim matte, 4 parts Grass Green matte
-Playfield medium blue mix: 10 parts Teal Sea matte, 1 part Pool Blue matte

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I haven’t delved into playfield color matching yet - but i have matched a cabinet color. Ok the computer did it but it would’t of if i didn’t ask it to lol. I wheeled the cab right into the paint store and matched the unfaded blue that was preserved under the side rail. Two interations and came out great
1980 Stern Flight 2000 cabinet base color:

Excellent! Thanks for sharing this. And thanks for using the full pin name to make it easier to search.

#19 5 years ago

Gottlieb Team One

-Playfield blue: Teal Sea matte straight from the bottle

#20 5 years ago

Gottlieb Spirit of 76

-Playfield yellow mix: 16 parts Yellow premium satin, 4 parts Grey matte, 4 parts Dark Yellow satin, 1 part Burnt Orange satin
-Playfield red mix: 5 parts Red premium satin, 2 parts Burnt Orange satin
-Playfield blue mix: 5 parts Cobalt Blue premium satin, 2 parts Navy satin

#21 5 years ago

Gottlieb Big Indian

-Playfield aqua: 1 part Spearmint matte, 1 part Aqua satin

#22 5 years ago

Gottlieb Jungle Queen

Playfield pink mix: 5 parts Hot Pink matte, 2 parts Burgundy matte

#23 5 years ago

Gottlieb Jet Spin

-Playfield blue mix: 9 parts Turquoise matte, 5 parts Teal Sea matte, 1 part Red satin, 1 part Black satin
-Playfield orange mix: 5 parts Pure Pumpkin satin, 3 parts Burnt Orange satin

#24 5 years ago

Williams Strato-Flite

-Playfield purple mix: 5 parts Holiday Red satin, 2 parts Princess Purple premium satin, 2 parts Regal Purple satin
-Playfield green: Spearmint matte straight from the bottle

#25 5 years ago

Incredible work! Following!

#26 5 years ago

This is GREAT. Anyone have some Funhouse paints to add?

#27 5 years ago

Sherwin Williams has an App 'ColorSnap' where you can use a photo/scan to match a color. Might be easier than dragging a cabinet into the store.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

1980 Stern Flight 2000 cabinet base color:[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks, but I prefer my paint gluten-free... PolyWhey?!?

Seriously, I'd love to see this thread take off - great idea!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Seriously, I'd love to see this thread take off

I think this thread has a chance to be what I envisioned if pinsiders still have info from past touch-ups to share, like Completist , and will also remember this thread to document their future touch-ups.

I'm glad there's been such a positive response.

#30 5 years ago

Williams Space Shuttle

-Cabinet dark blue: post #1905 of the following pinside thread shows a Home Depot paint code

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/39

#31 5 years ago

Data East Back to the Future

-Cabinet dark blue: post #7 of the following pinside thread shows a Lowe's paint code

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-full-refub#post-4803964

#32 5 years ago

Williams Funhouse

-Cabinet dark blue: post #185 of the following pinside thread shows a Lowe's paint code

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-my-first-restoration-help-me-not-botch-this/page/4#post-4465276

#33 5 years ago

Stern Nine Ball

-Cabinet Orange - Rust-Oleum 'Real Orange' spray paint is pretty much a dead-on match EDIT: This is their basic orange spray paint color found easily at any store

#34 5 years ago

Bally Baby Pac-Man

-Cabinet yellow: OSHA Safety Yellow (a base color) in Home Depot Alkyd Satin Enamel

This according to post #378 of pinside thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-clubwaka-waka-waka/page/8#post-4189529

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Stern Nine Ball
-Cabinet Orange - Rust-Oleum 'Real Orange' spray paint is pretty much a dead-on match

Thanks for the contribution, TheLaw , just down I-94 from me!

#36 5 years ago

Has anybody used one of these: Color Muse tool for color matching paint and more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKEMIF0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4R6wCbQ2P1XC7

They're partnered with Sherwin Williams!

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Has anybody used one of these: Color Muse tool for color matching paint and more amazon.com link »
They're partnered with Sherwin Williams!

I was thinking about getting one of these. If you were to use this to color match playfield colors, does Sherwin Williams have acrylics they can mix? I would really only use this for that purpose but I don't think it would work. Thoughts?

Edit: I just called Sherwin Williams down the street from me, the guy said they have acrylics that they can mix to match the colors this device scans, smallest size would be a quart though...

#38 5 years ago

Thought I would archive my Getaway touch-up for those who may come after me. For my repairs, I needed to match black, bright blue, neon orange, and yellow for the areas I wanted to repair.

Here is what I discovered given my playfield condition (which I would consider to be good with minimal, if any, fading) and the Createx airbrush paints | https://createxcolors.com/airbrush-colors/fluorescent-opaque-colors/5201.html (I used a regular brush to apply and cured with a heat gun between coats)
- Black: Used the black straight out of the bottle
- Bright/Light Blue (inner line around Free Ride & other inserts): Mixed 4 drops Opaque Blue with 2 drops Opaque White and it was a dead on match for me
- Fluorescent Orange (outer line around Free Ride & other inserts): Mixed 15 drops Fluorescent Orange with 1 drop Opaque White and it too was a dead on match
- Yellow (stoplights): No matter what I tried, I could not hit this color. I experimented like crazy but could never achieve the ever slight goldish yellow color. I finally gave up and made a decal then covered it with Mylar.

After curing all paint, I double top-coated with Createx gloss clear, rewaxed with Carnauba, and voila - a much improved look for my pin.

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

#39 5 years ago

I am currently touching up cabinet paint on my Lethal Weapon 3. The front was in rough shape. The closest blue I can find is

Valspar
half pint size(7.2 fl oz.)
Base 4 94101(on front of can)
4008-10C Cosmic Blue Satin
102-24 113-8.5 105-0.125(these might be additional mixes, I'm not sure)

Thanks to SterlingRush on Klov for giving this info on Klov https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=172034

The paint is a great match depending on how much your cabinet has faded. I realized mine faded more then I thought. I am currently working or mixing yellow and black in very small amounts with the cosmic blue satin to better match the new faded blue rather then repaint the entire cabinet.

#40 5 years ago

Great thread. And you even got some people contributing. I tried to start a thread like this on cabinet painting years ago.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Great thread. And you even got some people contributing. I tried to start a thread like this on cabinet painting years ago.

Thanks. I just saw your similar thread yesterday. I guess my initial entries helped get this one going. I'm hoping it keeps building. I knew I wasn't the only one with this kind of info.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

(I used a regular brush to apply and cured with a heat gun between coats)

Thanks for the entry. I have Createx airbrush paints, but have never used them with a brush. Does it brush on easily (I think it's thinner than craft paints)? Your results look good.

#43 5 years ago

I have Createx airbrush paints, but have never used them with a brush. Does it brush on easily (I think it's thinner than craft paints)?

They go on fine

#44 5 years ago

Thanks for the entry. I have Createx airbrush paints, but have never used them with a brush. Does it brush on easily (I think it's thinner than craft paints)? Your results look good.

Yes, I used a very fine artists brush. Also, I did this before I bought one of those headbands with the magnifying glasses on them. I did it all freehand, but if I had it to do again I know I could do a much better job and would probably tape off for straighter lines. There were actually several inserts I touched up, and they are all still looking great with no sign of wear today.

You do have to be patient and use several coats (I think I did 3 on the lines then 6 or so on the deep areas to build up the paint). Also, I loved that you have to use heat to cure it. Made it easy to wipe off mess-ups and try again until I was satisfied.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, I loved that you have to use heat to cure it.

On the limited backglass airbrush work I've done, I used a hair dryer for heat after each coat, and even then I was afraid of cracking the glass. Is a heat gun okay to use without damaging playfield inserts?

#46 5 years ago

On the limited backglass airbrush work I've done, I used a hair dryer for heat after each coat, and even then I was afraid of cracking the glass. Is a heat gun okay to use without damaging playfield inserts?

A couple of things. I used on low setting, focused on just the paint area, and I kept it moving for just a few seconds. It doesn't take that much heat/time, so the inserts never really got hot. If a hair dryer did the trick for you then that sounds like a viable alternative also.

#47 5 years ago

Data East Hook

Acrylic craft paint used (brand not given)

-Cabinet light blue: 8 parts Caribbean Blue, 1 part White

This according to the following web page:

https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/playfield/106-playfield-touch-up-paint-hook

1 week later
#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thought I would archive my Getaway touch-up for those who may come after me. For my repairs, I needed to match black, bright blue, neon orange, and yellow for the areas I wanted to repair.
Here is what I discovered given my playfield condition (which I would consider to be good with minimal, if any, fading) and the Createx airbrush paints | https://createxcolors.com/airbrush-colors/fluorescent-opaque-colors/5201.html (I used a regular brush to apply and cured with a heat gun between coats)
- Black: Used the black straight out of the bottle
- Bright/Light Blue (inner line around Free Ride & other inserts): Mixed 4 drops Opaque Blue with 2 drops Opaque White and it was a dead on match for me
- Fluorescent Orange (outer line around Free Ride & other inserts): Mixed 15 drops Fluorescent Orange with 1 drop Opaque White and it too was a dead on match
- Yellow (stoplights): No matter what I tried, I could not hit this color. I experimented like crazy but could never achieve the ever slight goldish yellow color. I finally gave up and made a decal then covered it with Mylar.
After curing all paint, I double top-coated with Createx gloss clear, rewaxed with Carnauba, and voila - a much improved look for my pin.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

nice!

#49 5 years ago

For playfield touch ups, I use enamel paints.

The benefits are a longer lasting and harder surface. The yellow-red spectrum does not change colors as it cures and can be playtested within minutes of application.

Make sure to use gloss and not matte paints as the finish will not be the same as the rest of the pf paint.

Please note that I have not tried to clearcoat over enamel paints and am not sure what the chemistry would be like for bonding between the paint and the clear. If anyone has experience or has tested this, I'd like to know more.

Get a color wheel. Learn how to use complimentary colors to get correct matches. Secondary and tertiary color mixing may be necessary for teal greens and darker oranges.

Finally, the mechanical dust in games is actually a dark blue. This will mess with your playfield "whites" especially on non diamond plate/ early SS and EM games.

Make a mistake? Not to worry... Wipe it off with naphtha or cover it up with another layer of opaque enamel paint.

Enjoy!

c2s

3 months later
#50 4 years ago

Gottlieb Flying Chariots

-Playfield cream mix: 5 parts Ivory matte, 3 parts Suede matte
-Playfield blue mix: 8 parts Robins Egg Blue matte, 1 part Grass Green satin
-Playfield red mix: 5 parts Orange Red satin, 2 parts Red premium satin
-Playfield purple mix: 10 parts Pink Blossom matte, 1 part Red premium satin, 1 part Black satin
-Playfield green mix: 5 parts Bright Palm matte, 2 parts Holiday Green satin, 1 part Grass Green matte
-Playfield yellow mix: 7 parts Yellow premium satin, 1 part Navy satin
-Playfield peach mix: 5 parts Deep Coral satin, 2 parts Dark Orange matte, 2 parts White satin,
1 part Yellow premium satin, 1 part Grey matte

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-touch-up-paint-color-thread?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.