image (resized).jpg
A8A15D38-FBA7-456C-8A01-B9B0F4544F69 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3739 (resized).jpg
IMG_3738 (resized).jpg
20221016_102313 (resized).jpg
20221012_203451 (resized).jpg
20221016_102401 (resized).jpg
20221016_102129 (resized).jpg
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

How did you do all the flipper section by hand?
Is that a huge decal and you painted the solid colour by hand correct?
If not you are not human lol

Quoted from Garrett:

My thoughts as well. I'm ok with a paintbrush but that work is amazing to be done by hand. It's extremely difficult to get an exact color match let alone the detail done to perfection. I thought it was done with decals as well.

The lower central part is , of course, a decal , as part of the upper section. Except of the lower central section , every other area including decals that acted as a guide , were painted over by hand. Every section had to be painted more than 10 times in order for the paintbrush strokes to disappear. The whole thing is here ... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robowar-restoration-attempt-

2 months later
#152 1 year ago

Looking for references for a color match of the blue used on a Gottlieb Pin Up play field. It has an odd purple tint to it, or I may have bad eyesight. LOL

IMG_3738 (resized).jpgIMG_3738 (resized).jpgIMG_3739 (resized).jpgIMG_3739 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#153 1 year ago

Stern Electronics Rawhide

-Playfield green: Americana Laguna matte (straight from the bottle)

A8A15D38-FBA7-456C-8A01-B9B0F4544F69 (resized).jpegA8A15D38-FBA7-456C-8A01-B9B0F4544F69 (resized).jpeg
#154 1 year ago

Does anyone have suggestions for what cabinet paint to use for a Gottlieb Big Indian/Big Brave?

1 month later
#155 10 months ago

Williams Space Mission

-Playfield cream: Americana Buttermilk matte (straight from the bottle)
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

-Playfield yellow: 1 part Americana Bright Yellow matte, 1 part Michaels Yellow satin (this mix was a bit lighter and greenish than I would have liked)

-Playfield light teal: Micheals Spearmint matte (straight from the bottle)

-Playfield dark teal: Michaels Green Teal satin (straight from the bottle)

-Playfield red: Michaels Red premium satin (straight from the bottle)

-Playfield blue: Michaels Peacock Blue matte (straight from the bottle) (this was a bit light)

Before and after:
IMG_7207 (resized).jpegIMG_7207 (resized).jpegIMG_7360 (resized).jpegIMG_7360 (resized).jpeg

#156 10 months ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Williams Space Mission
-Playfield cream: Americana Buttermilk matte (straight from the bottle)
[quoted image]
-Playfield yellow: 1 part Americana Bright Yellow matte, 1 part Michaels Yellow satin (this mix was a bit lighter and greenish than I would have liked)
[quoted image]
-Playfield light teal: Micheals Spearmint matte (straight from the bottle)
[quoted image]
-Playfield dark teal: Michaels Green Teal satin (straight from the bottle)
[quoted image]
-Playfield red: Michaels Red premium satin (straight from the bottle)
[quoted image]
-Playfield blue: Michaels Peacock Blue matte (straight from the bottle) (this was a bit light)
[quoted image]
Before and after:
[quoted image][quoted image]

This one post validates the off white for space mission. Definitely worth a read:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/handshake-in-space-space-mission-#post-6867770

#157 10 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

This one post validates the off white for space mission. Definitely worth a read:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/handshake-in-space-space-mission-#post-6867770

Thanks for sharing. I’ve looked at parts of your thread earlier, and appreciate the work you’ve done on that pin. Your playfield was definitely rougher than mine to start with.

I’ve found that you can only do so much within reason to match and to be precise with touchups. Sometimes you labor and go to painstaking lengths so that you think something looks glaringly bad, but once it’s all done you realize it looks fine and doesn’t stick out at all.

#158 10 months ago

Thanks for sharing. I’ve looked at parts of your thread earlier, and appreciate the work you’ve done on that pin. Your playfield was definitely rougher than mine to start with.
I’ve found that you can only do so much within reason to match and to be precise with touchups. Sometimes you labor and go to painstaking lengths so that you think something looks glaringly bad, but once it’s all done you realize it looks fine and doesn’t stick out at all.

Thanks!
Yeah that post was meant to be read with an element of humor. I spent all this time mixing these dumb paints trying to get it perfect to only find I could just use the color right out of the bottle anyway.

4 months later
#159 6 months ago

Hello All,

I made a unique post advising what colors I used for a repaint of a Bally Star Trek. sparky672 advised that this thread is where that information belongs. It appears that most info here is relative to playfield repairs which is invaluable. What I have is the colors to repaint, not touch up, a Bally ST cabinet.

Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow

Rustoleum/American Accents Poppy Red

Rustoleum/American Accents Ink Blue

G

#160 6 months ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hello All,
I made a unique post advising what colors I used for a repaint of a Bally Star Trek. sparky672 advised that this thread is where that information belongs. It appears that most info here is relative to playfield repairs which is invaluable. What I have is the colors to repaint, not touch up, a Bally ST cabinet.
Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow
Rustoleum/American Accents Poppy Red
Rustoleum/American Accents Ink Blue
G

Playfield, backglass, and cabinet paint colors have all been posted and are welcome here! Thanks for sharing your info!

And thanks to sparky672 for pointing you to this thread. The more the info in here to be searched, the better of a searchable resource this thread becomes.

#161 6 months ago

Playfield, backglass, and cabinet paint colors have all been posted and are welcome here! Thanks for sharing your info!

Thank you Sir. Thought it may be incorrect placement. Thank you for the heads up!

2 weeks later
#162 5 months ago

Data East Star Wars cabinet blue
After a few attempts to computer color match at Home Depot I ended up using S-G-560 Jazz blue from some swatches they had. It’s pretty close if anyone needs help on this

IMG_9532 (resized).jpegIMG_9532 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#163 3 months ago

Hello, anyone have experience paint matching a Gottlieb Gladiators cabinet and playfield? This is my first Pinball machine and it's in pretty decent shape, but I would definitely like to touch up a few areas. Thanks in advance.
wolverinetuner

#164 3 months ago

Welcome to the hobby, LushkasRF8 !!

Unfortunately, my prior post in this thread pretty much sums it up as far as people asking for a color match here:

Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone who has asked for a particular color on this thread has gotten a response. I’m hoping more pinsiders will post their touch-up colors here. It might take some effort (this I know), but it could help others out. If you do, please include the name of both the pin manufacturer and the pin itself, so this thread can become a searchable mini-database. What is here so far is a start...

2 months later
#165 27 days ago

I'm looking to do some touch-ups on a Williams Grand Prix. Playfield isn't too bad, but I need to do it before I go any further with Novus, wax, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations as to paint colors and mixes? Also, kind of a noob question, but here goes: Would Williams have used the same paint colors for different games of the same era? In other words, could the shades of blue, red yellow be the same on Aztec, Space Mission or Grand Prix?

#166 27 days ago
Quoted from DetroitLiger:

I'm looking to do some touch-ups on a Williams Grand Prix. Playfield isn't too bad, but I need to do it before I go any further with Novus, wax, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations as to paint colors and mixes? Also, kind of a noob question, but here goes: Would Williams have used the same paint colors for different games of the same era? In other words, could the shades of blue, red yellow be the same on Aztec, Space Mission or Grand Prix?

If it were only that staright forward.

Take three of the same pins that were in three different enviornments and the orginal playfield paint colors likely wouldn't exactly match one another. Sunlight fade, games played how well the playfield was cared for all come into play.

Before you do any touch ups at a minimum you want to clean the playfeild with Novus2. If the playfeild is planked and paint is starting to chip there's little you can do to save it. It's best to chip the loose paint off to where it is properly adhered as it will eventually work loose anyway.

#167 26 days ago

Thanks @garrett, The playfield paint was in pretty good shape, but had really bad ballswirls. There was also some mylar in front of the slings, outhole and top kickout hole. It was installed over the ballswirls and looked crazy. I removed it, but did lose a bit of paint :/ Trust me it looks much better than it did, lol. For the rest of the playfield I used the Magic Eraser with alcohol method, and it came out nice, but of course is very dull. I've been working on painting the trim circles around the inserts today, and hope to mix colors for the rest soon. I'm kicking around the idea of installing a playfield protector, as all the inserts are sunken pretty badly. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks, Rob

#168 25 days ago
Quoted from DetroitLiger:

I'm kicking around the idea of installing a playfield protector, as all the inserts are sunken pretty badly. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks, Rob

Other options include replacing the inserts or, what I prefer, clearcoating the entire playfield after touch-up and using extra clearcoat over the inserts and sanding it down to level. This takes a lot of work, but it allows the original inserts, with the black circles on their outer edges, to remain, without the risks (gaps, wood loss) involved in removing and replacing inserts.

Also, once you’ve come up with your paint mixes, it would be great if you’d post them here!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-touch-up-paint-color-thread/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.