Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

banger J.png
    Fonty McFontface.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.46.18 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.44.00 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.43.58 AM (resized).png
    brick (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    smoothing.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 9.21.54 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.22.29 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.22.33 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.23.08 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 2 years ago

Really not enjoying this new font. Thought maybe I was the only picky person, but then I found this thread, and of course we're picky, we're pinball guys.

Hard to explain what makes it so unpleasant & unreadable to me. I think it's the kerning? Letters seem further apart in the middle of words, but not consistently. Sometimes certain letters are randomly closer than others, giving it that serial killer cut & paste appearance.

Also the font smoothing seems jacked up, like the edges of letters have a pixelated blur instead of a clean edge. I've tried in multiple browsers on two different PCs with two different monitors, so it's not my setup causing the issue.

Guess I'll just get used to it.

#38 2 years ago

10x enlarged screen capture of "smoothing" from my previous post compared to gmail. Letters are the same height/scale, but the Pinside font (top) has much wider kerning. More jarring is the multicolor font smoothing which provides something like an old-school CRT pixel blur effect. Makes me feel like I need to rub my eyes after reading. Much prefer gmail's monochromatic font smoothing (bottom). Reads more like ink on paper.

smoothing.jpgsmoothing.jpg

#41 2 years ago

Interesting! Thanks for the comparison.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I believe the issue is mostly on Windows (27% of our visitors).

I'm surprised it's only 27%. Guess everyone's on a phone these days. Anyway, here's a screencap from my Windows box:
    Fonty McFontface.pngFonty McFontface.png
    Sub-forum font on the left looks great. Topic font looks... goofy? for lack of a better word. Part of what makes it jarring to me is that uppercase letters are shorter than many lowercase letters. Just doesn't read smoothly. Is there any way to use the font on the left for everything?

FWIW, the topics look great on my iPhone. Doesn't even look like the same font.

#53 2 years ago

banger J.pngbanger J.png
    Both of those J's are uppercase.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-font-change-thread?tu=yancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.