Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

banger J.png
    Fonty McFontface.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.46.18 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.44.00 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.43.58 AM (resized).png
    brick (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    smoothing.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 9.21.54 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.22.29 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.22.33 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.23.08 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for noticing! Some background:

Pinside has been displaying all text in the typeface "Verdana" ever since we launched. But since that is a Microsoft copyrighted font, and not generally available on Linux/Android devices, I have decided to make the switch to the *very similar* open source typeface: "Open Sans". Edit: We are now using DejaVu Sans.

I put this operation off for a long time, due to the sheer amount of work involved, but I believe it's essential to ensure things look the same on all devices (and making my UI designing life much easier).

Feel free to send me screenshots of anything UI issues related to the font change. I.e. things that "look odd" or illegible or where you generally feel that the font needs work.

Thanks!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from rockwell:

I don't like how the "new" marketplace adds have an orange label now. It looks too much like the "sale pending" label, and is a bit confusing. I pulled up the marketplace and was like "Whoa! Everything is sold!"

Good point. There was some huge redesign work done to the Marketplace listings, to make them more responsive on mobile. I must have messed up that color, I believe it was blue before?

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Not related to font but I really like the for sale ads showing distance from me![quoted image]

Glad you like that!

#17 2 years ago

The initials are supposed to be a Dot Matrix font. So something is messed up there - let me look into that

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Sneaky sneaky there Robin! I see the tab headers, submenu forum thread navigation and add image tabs all look the same now.
    Great work, I like the new look now that I'd all uniform.

Quoted from EJS:

On the phone “forum” used to be lower left now it’s second to the left so I have to be careful not to click Biz in error.

That depends on your phone screen size and settings. On most phones it will be at the top right. But, for example, on a Galaxy S8 I think it will just about jump to the first position of the second line. And with the new font, the slight variation in size might have just triggered it to move over a bit more. Sorry about that!

#32 2 years ago

Another day, another update. I received quite some response after yesterday's type face change. This included a few PM's from folks who disliked (the) change and/or who were having issues (especially on Microsoft Edge, which was rendering the font a bit bolder than on other browsers I tested with).

So thanks for all the passionate people who took the time to write me about that

I want to make Pinside look and feel the same on all devices. For 20 years, Pinside has used Verdana as our main type face and there was no reason to change this, except that this typeface is not available on all platforms. For example, it's not on Android. And with the increasing amount of Android phones out there, the site just looked incredibly different there which was making it hard to do UI design and testing for this one-man dev team

So, why not include Verdana as a @font-face you (web developers) might ask? Well, turns out that licensing fonts is prohibitively expensive for web use. I looked into licensing Verdana and this turned out to cost around $500/mo *per variation* for our current pageview count (8M/mo).

Last night, I got some suggestions for a typeface that resembles the 'previous' Pinside look better than Open Sans: DejaVu Sans. This font was derived from Bitstream Vera and, unlike Verdana, it's free to use commercially.

I really like DejaVu. Some fine tuning will continue for the days/weeks to come, but hopefully this new type face look will satisfy most of you!

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

10x enlarged screen capture of "smoothing" from my previous post compared to gmail. Letters are the same height/scale, but the Pinside font (top) has much wider kerning. More jarring is the multicolor font smoothing which provides something like an old-school CRT pixel blur effect. Makes me feel like I need to rub my eyes after reading. Much prefer gmail's monochromatic font smoothing (bottom). Reads more like ink on paper.
    [quoted image]

Ugh, I can imagine that drives you nuts. I'm not seeing that multicolor antialiasing. For me it looks like this:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #48 2 years ago
    Quoted from rockwell:

Font smoothing is never 100% controllable. Variables include but are not limited to: the design of the font itself, the operating system of the end user, the browser of the end user, the system settings applied, even the way the CSS is written.
    As with anything designed for web or screen, users' interactions will vary.

You're very right. So do you have any ideas that could help improve the font display? I believe the issue is mostly on Windows (27% of our visitors).

Quoted from proco:

The never ending cycle of UI upadates:

Nail, meet hammer!

Quoted from JodyG:

It would be nice if the Pinside store update would happen...I use to send pinside a nice chunk of change in fees, but it became too much of a burden. Especially for international customers.

That's an entirely different topic. But please do PM me your suggestions, I'm always happy to accommodate!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-font-change-thread?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.