(Topic ID: 40158)

The Pinside category shakeup! Input wanted!

By robin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fix_this.jpg

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 years ago

I know that this doesn't exactly help but I do worry about messing too much with something that works so great. My thoughts were driven here by the new Yahoo homepage. If that is where they are really going, I will read my news and email elsewhere.

Robin hasn't disappointed yet though so I guess I won't fret too much!

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Another suggestion to help is a "new topics with no replies" button. That way tech help guys can easily find any unanswered questions.

That's already there, just kinda hard to see. Far right side above the top thread.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I personally don't like where the "sticky" threads are any more.
    From a design/visual standpoint they look nice, but from a functional/user standpoint they are no good.
    I forget they are there and rarely look at them now

Me neither. Plus there is no option to jump to where you left off like any other thread, unless I'm missing it.

Edit: I see it now, just can't do it from the main forum page, no big deal.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

That's already there, just kinda hard to see. Far right side above the top thread.

Damn, completely missed it! Thanks!

#105 6 years ago

Robin, if a skit-b forum is a sure thing, can we fast track that? It's hard to keep up with just the 1 monster thread which goes in every direction. Maybe you can add it, then worry about any of the other forum changes after more consideration.

#106 6 years ago

Yes, I am planning to start with the manufacturers category as everyone seemed to agree with that idea. It will include sub-forums for all *new* manufacturers. Coming soon.

This will basically be a test (pilot) and it will determine whether I will implement any other sub forums.

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Me neither. Plus there is no option to jump to where you left off like any other thread, unless I'm missing it.
    Edit: I see it now, just can't do it from the main forum page, no big deal.

Yes you can. Click on the post count from any forum screen to open threads and it will take you to the first new post.

#108 6 years ago

How about a toic: pinball in the wild, or location pinball.
    Allen

#109 6 years ago

Not sure if I'd break down technical help so far....(software problems, display problems, sound problems, etc)...seems like there will be some overlap, and some problems are misleading. (For example, I had a Twilight Zone with a "Sound Board Interface Error" that had nothing to do with the sound board).

If you have to break down the tech help sections, I would suggest to do it by era (DMD, Alphanumeric, early 80's solid state, etc etc).

Maybe create a spot for people to throw all of their "Game X Owners Club" posts, too.

Manufacturers: At some point, you just need a generic "Other Manufacturers" section that can be used for anyone new that pops up.

Otherwise, I'm kind of with The_Gorilla. Don't mess with stuff too much...it's already pretty awesome.

Pete

#110 6 years ago

I imagine it looking something like....

Pinball Manufactures:

Atari
    Bally
    Gottlieb
    Jersey Jack Pinball (JJP)
    Stern
    Williams (WPC)
    Virtual Pinball
    Arcade/Other

#111 6 years ago

I know a lot of people will prefer one over the other....don't make it so you are forced into a sub, leave it as a drill down option. That way, if someone prefers to browse, they can just stay at the main catagory.

Personally, I would like it if the thread titles didn't overlap. It's annoying as. Can't read what they are until you click, and then it might not say what you thought it did :/

#112 6 years ago

By manufacturer is going to have to break up williams, bally, and after the merge...williams-bally. I think other sites with that type of breakdown go by date.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I don't use the sub forums...I like it the way it is. I agree with if it ain't broke leave it alone!! The only thing I would like to see is an easier search to find older posts that you would like to revisit.
    Phoebe

^^^^my thought as well^^^^

I saw the very long list of categories and walk away from this thread when it first came out. Maybe I am ADHD, but give us too much and it will not get used for sure. (there is already enough that I don't use them). Just my opinion

#114 6 years ago

I prefer the way that it is. Subforums clutter things up. Biggest problem is that threads tend to sway all over the map when you read. This indicates people do not speak in small and discreet buckets, rather they think in general topics.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Maybe create a spot for people to throw all of their "Game X Owners Club" posts, too.

We need this so bad. I'd love to filter those from my list.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Atari
    Bally
    Gottlieb
    Jersey Jack Pinball (JJP)
    Stern
    Williams (WPC)
    Virtual Pinball
    Arcade/Other

Not sure those manufacturer categories are well balanced... Atari and JJP made less pins than Zaccaria, Data East or Playmatic... so why single those out and leave larger manufacturers lumped with 'arcade/other'?

If you're going to do a manufactirer split I'd suggest:

Bally
    Williams
    Bally/williams (WPC)
    Gottlieb EM
    Gottlieb SS
    Data East
    Sega
    Stern
    Stern 80's
    Other USA EM (Chicago Coin, Keeny etc)
    Other USA SS (Atari, Game Plan etc)
    Spanish
    Italian
    Other worldwide (French, Dutch, German, Japanese!)

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

so why single those out and leave larger manufacturers lumped with 'arcade/other'?

I just put what popped up in my head at the moment...I'm sure what ever Robin does will be thought more about instead of just off the top of his head. Just trying to get the ball rolling.

#118 6 years ago

a 'price check' sub -cat.

#119 6 years ago

'Want it now' catagory, but by a different name. Ebay uses that...

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

a 'price check' sub -cat.

Well, I think there should be a category for pricing discussions and complaints...

....and it should be a direct link to RGP.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside