Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by roffels
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

steveyoung.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 12 years ago

Any of you folks in the MSP area ever do any business with Al at The Pinball Warehouse...He has a good selections of pins for sale..

#2 12 years ago

When I called he seemed a little on the high price and was kind of grumpy. If you get over the grumpy part maybe he could work some deals?

#3 12 years ago

Al is a good guy if you just get to know him. I bought a cherry tz & lah from him

#4 12 years ago

Al is a lot like Steve Young, in the sense that he can be very grumpy on the phone. In person he's a nice enough guy though. I bought a very nice TZ from him for a good price but the planets must have been aligned that day as I haven't been able to haggle with him on the phone since. It might be a different story if you in the store with cash in hand.

#5 12 years ago

He is a lot nicer in person - I got a bad impression from calling him the first time (seemed pissed off to be on the phone). But there is a reason he has so many pins for sale, and as much as I want to do business with him, every time I walk in there and talk prices and whatnot he just isn't very flexible on pricing at all...and that's before you add in the cost of taxes for the pins. ~$3100 for a semi-routed RFM out the door for example, comparing that to the practically new (almost) HUO I found for A LOT less from a private seller.

However, he is running a business, which is obviously successful, so you can't knock him for that. Just wish I could work out some deals with him. But if you're in the market, definitely worth a shot - maybe you'll get better deals than I've seen in the past.

#6 12 years ago

Al is a lot like Steve Young

So this is Al...

steveyoung.jpgsteveyoung.jpg

#7 12 years ago

Are his machines worn out, or pretty decent?...Thinking about making the 5 hour trip from over here near Green Bay one of these days...Looking for a Taxi, and a High Speed, but I like most of the mid to late 1980's Williams's...

#8 12 years ago

al is cool when i was there it was a nice summer day and he was out waxing his 55 chevy getting ready to take it out, he has a few vettes so we connected good.

the machines on the sales floor were all pretty nice shape from what i saw

#9 12 years ago

Their shop jobs are not very thorough. I have watched them "shop" some titles out before. Some of the machines he gets are from containers from overseas. He is a decent enough guy but can be grumpy. I bought from him back in the day but haven't since.

#10 12 years ago

also all depends how desperate you are for a certain title and if he has it LOL

#11 12 years ago

As long as I'm asking, how about SS Billards???

#12 12 years ago

SS Billiards is owned and operated by the venerable LTG (lloyd the Great, lloyd the Goose depending on who you believe). LTG has been around RGP before there were computers...I swear he was probably typing on a teletype . Seriously, if you are near enough, you MUST stop at SS Billiards. One of the best collection of pins to play in the country. He does sell, but doesn't actively advertise. He's on pinside as well as 'LTG'.

#13 12 years ago

I can tell you that you won't get a "deal" on an A or B list game. Also, prices tend to fluctuate from day to day.

I played about 25-30 games there and they seemed to be fully functional without me being 100% familiar with the games.

I saw their tech shopping a machine and he definitely had the topside torn down 100%. It was a TAF, maybe they don't do as thorough a job on their lower priced games?? I'm not saying they don't do a thorough shop job as i don't know.

#14 12 years ago

Well the last time I was there was like 2004. So maybe things have changed.

#15 12 years ago

AL is grumpy on phone fine in store when you cash in his face and grumpy again after cash is in his pocket lol. He is a good guy. Can be hard to deal with though. Its been years since i was up there. Aaron used to be his tech. He is limited by AL on how much time to spend on each machine. I have bought a t2 and south park from AL before. T2 was 800 bucks SP was 1300. Years ago though.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

Al is a lot like Steve Young, in the sense that he can be very grumpy on the phone

I have two things to say about this, one, I don't thing Steve Young is grumpy he is just matter of fact and straight to the point and some people get their feelings hurt to easily. Yes, I admit, the first time I talked to Steve on the phone I was a little taken back but he is a hell of a guy and has probably forgotten more about Pins than I will ever know.
    The second thing is...how the heck can you be grumpy when being around and working on Pinballs is your life!? I don't get to work on these things for a livin but I sure the heck wouldn't be pissed off about it.

#17 12 years ago

I visited the warehouse about a month ago to buy 2 silverballs(just silverballs, not tables). I had fun looking around the place, and all his pins for sale are in great shape. If you have $2500, you have quite a few pins to choose from. He wasn't grumpy to me, but mind you my purchase was quite small.

#18 12 years ago

Does the whole place still smell of cigar smoke?

#19 12 years ago

Al smokes like a chimney lol.

#20 12 years ago

Aaron is still the tech. I've never met Al.

The prices of their stuff are above where most of the "price police" on here would "call you out" and cry "too much". For instance, he has a MM with alot of playfield wear for $8500. He had a MB in alleged QC shape for $10K.

If you want to pay $2500 for a HS2 or $1500 for a BadCats or $4500 for a routed TAF, this is the place to go.

I'm not complaining, btw. I realize he's a dealer and machines are hard to find. Believe it or not, there are people in that town (NBA, NFL, NHL & Major Corporate Execs.) that do visit there and buy high dollar stuff.

#21 12 years ago

I used to help him out on the weekends and I come home smelling like a 70's Pool Hall.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

The prices of their stuff are above where most of the "price police" on here would "call you out" and cry "too much". For instance, he has a MM with alot of playfield wear for $8500. He had a MB in alleged QC shape for $10K.

If you want to pay $2500 for a HS2 or $1500 for a BadCats or $4500 for a routed TAF, this is the place to go.

I'm not complaining, btw. I realize he's a dealer and machines are hard to find. Believe it or not, there are people in that town (NBA, NFL, NHL & Major Corporate Execs.) that do visit there and buy high dollar stuff.

Bring cash & you will get a deal you just have to ask

#23 12 years ago

I live just down the road from there and havent been to this place before. Ive heard good things about Al. What does he want to get for the Addams and TZ?

#24 12 years ago

since I can be grumpy, I have no time for a grumpy ass that is priced above average for a average game....pass

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from ChevelleSSguy:

I live just down the road from there and havent been to this place before. Ive heard good things about Al. What does he want to get for the Addams and TZ?

Pretty sure it was something like $4595 before tax on each...

#26 12 years ago

If thats the case Ill go to Len Curtis up in northern MN then. Ive heard good things about Len and he currently has one of each for 3950. TZ may have sold though but he seems to be flexible and honest as well. Just a bit more affordible on prices. I noticed his MM as well for 8500. Major wear around the flippers. No thanks.

1 month later
    #27 12 years ago
    Quoted from ChevelleSSguy:

If thats the case Ill go to Len Curtis up in northern MN then

Hello,

I'm looking to make a bulk purchase of between 3 and 6 pinball tables to start off my Gameroom. I've talked to Pinball Warehouse, but would like to know how to get ahold of Len Curtis. Can you help?

Thanks!

#28 12 years ago

I'll pm you his email.

don't lowball him is my advice. he is reasonable as it is.

#29 12 years ago

I bought my DE Star Trek there; he's reasonably friendly and will answer any questions if you just get him talking. As for prices, I'm certainly not an expert, but based on what I've seen advertised elsewhere (particularly from other businesses, but also what people ask for on pinside or craigslist), he's not out of line on the popular titles (although I wouldn't say he's giving a steal either).

#30 12 years ago

Thanks, I'm still working with a couple other "dealers". The prices I'm getting are all over the map.

1 year later
    #31 10 years ago

1 year bump, I remember going here when I was 8 or so and getting yelled at for not finishing my games I started. I should go back and buy something!

#32 10 years ago

I was just there about a month ago looking for a HS. He didn't have one nor could he remember the last time he had seen one. I bought my first table from Al a Fireball Classic about 6 months ago. He is expensive but hey, he has a business to run and he ain't gettin any younger.

#33 10 years ago

I'd almost want to go and buy here, even if overpriced, just so I wouldn't get screwed over by someone on craigslist or have to rush to the deal and lose out due to not having a truck

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I'd almost want to go and buy here, even if overpriced, just so I wouldn't get screwed over by someone on craigslist or have to rush to the deal and lose out due to not having a truck

Looking for your first pin?

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looking for your first pin?

I'm keeping an eye out. I've been going to the Oleander saloon everyday to play LOTR, but not sure how i'm liking this place now.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

it's your money dude

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

it's your money dude

I guess I'd need to see how overpriced it is first before I proclaim something like this.

#38 10 years ago

Well it all depends on what your budget is. I looked and waited and looked some more before I found the HS I got and I got it in the condition I could work with at a better price then I thought I could ever get it for. The only down side is that it was in Miami Beach so shipping was a drag. But I would have to pay shipping no matter where I bought it from because no one within driving distance had it.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I guess I'd need to see how overpriced it is first before I proclaim something like this.

To give you an idea, a Whirlwind is (was) $2400 over five months ago (probably higher now), with cabinet gouges (and horrible color matching over the minor scratches (I'll give them the benefit of doubt that the previous owner did this)), PF wear down to straight woodgrain, inserts raised in at least three spots (and not minor raising), cracked plastics/ramps, and was listed as having LED's (....but oh, just a few spotty ones that you put in the backbox, but the rest are incandescent...awesome.............).

That is no BS, there is a reason they have so many pins for sale; so if you want to get f#(ked on a deal, by all means have at it.

#40 10 years ago

Where is Lens place? Is it a store front?

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

To give you an idea, a Whirlwind is (was) $2400 over five months ago (probably higher now), with cabinet gouges (and horrible color matching over the minor scratches (I'll give them the benefit of doubt that the previous owner did this)), PF wear down to straight woodgrain, inserts raised in at least three spots (and not minor raising), cracked plastics/ramps, and was listed as having LED's (....but oh, just a few spotty ones that you put in the backbox, but the rest are incandescent...awesome.............).
    That is no BS, there is a reason they have so many pins for sale; so if you want to get f#(ked on a deal, by all means have at it.

Yup, that's why you have to do your homework in this hobby. I know I've learned a lot here on PS and it helped me make informed pin buying decisions. I knew the questions to ask the seller and what to look for in the pictures.

#42 10 years ago

I've visited before, they were all very nice letting me play the machines on the floor and putting my name on a game. But when it came down to it, I was not willing to pay what they were asking for the quality of the machine. If you want a machine and don't want to have to search and get a warranty on it, I would recommend them. If you're good at your own repair and can wait, I don't. It all depends upon your specific situation, I for one am glad there is still a business model for pinball no matter what!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I've visited before, they were all very nice letting me play the machines on the floor and putting my name on a game. But when it came down to it, I was not willing to pay what they were asking for the quality of the machine. If you want a machine and don't want to have to search and get a warranty on it, I would recommend them. If you're good at your own repair and can wait, I don't. It all depends upon your specific situation, I for one am glad there is still a business model for pinball no matter what!

True that.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I was just there about a month ago looking for a HS. He didn't have one nor could he remember the last time he had seen one. I bought my first table from Al a Fireball Classic about 6 months ago. He is expensive but hey, he has a business to run and he ain't gettin any younger.

No wonder he wanted my HS I had to sell last year Ended up Duncan Brown bought it from me at Expo

#45 10 years ago

He paid me top dollar and I mean TOP dollar for a minty DM not but 6 months ago

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

What a lame response, Al and Pinball Warehouse are a business with a long standing reputation in Minnesota. A bunch of us local pinheads go in and visit AL every so often and let me tell ya stock is down. It's getting harder and harder to find inventory and ALL pin prices are up ! Late model Solid State and DMD are what people want and they are getting picked over and kept in homes. They shop out games, replace wearable parts, flipper kits, bats, etc. They are a business that sell games with warranty. As others have said you walk in with cash and talk a deal you can get it cheaper on a good day

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

He paid me top dollar and I mean TOP dollar for a minty DM not but 6 months ago

WOW, me to a year ago !

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

WOW, me to a year ago !

Al and I have sure had words before but in the end it's all good. Aaron is a stand up guy too. I HAVE NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVEAAAAAAAAA paid what he asks and I leave with games all the time. I have known him for oh......8 years now I suppose. Hope is wife is doing better.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

What a lame response, Al and Pinball Warehouse are a business with a long standing reputation in Minnesota. A bunch of us local pinheads go in and visit AL every so often and let me tell ya stock is down. It's getting harder and harder to find inventory and ALL pin prices are up ! Late model Solid State and DMD are what people want and they are getting picked over and kept in homes. They shop out games, replace wearable parts, flipper kits, bats, etc. They are a business that sell games with warranty. As others have said you walk in with cash and talk a deal you can get it cheaper on a good day

That's true and with new people like me coming into the hobby and buying 2,3,4 pins, it's a matter of supply and demand of the more affordable games that I can buy.

#50 10 years ago

We had a surprise birthday party for Al last year at his place. About twenty of us were already there when he walked in the door. He didn't say a word or even smile. Just flipped us all the bird.

I love Al.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-warehouse-mn/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.