(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

An economic recession will drop prices on pinball and other expensive hobbies tied to discretionary spending...Usually you get a recession every 7 years....

Hilarious; Been hoping this happens for over 14 years!

2 weeks later
    #123 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

As much as we complain about prices on pins we’d like to buy, there’s definitely the chance to get more for what we sell.

Except we only sell games to buy other games...so it really doesn't help.

1 year later
    #610 1 year ago

So, what do you think the price for the Scooby-Do pin will be upon release?

I think they will be the same as Halloween, maybe a touch more. So right at 10k for CE shipped/taxed

#612 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

IHaving said that, their used HWN prices have tanked....I wonder if that will effect their initial pricing...probably not.

The effect is not raising it over 10k
    Sad but true...hopefully? I mean I ain't going down that road again. The shit show ordering process was enough to scare me away and that's before the thing tanked 25%

#615 1 year ago

Well yeah bro but its Scooby Doo!!1!1

#628 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I think you can make a machine, using the tech today to create a 80s style game, with the kind of design and lack of toys you had back then, for a much lower price point.

Beatles = not cheap
    TNA = not cheap

For the 9,000th time; makers are having no problem selling games for 10k' why would they make games at 4k?

#631 1 year ago

Spooky just had no issue selling out Halloween & Ultraman in 1 day; he vast majority of those were the highest price option, and a chunk of those added 1k on for a clearcoated cabinet. Oh and they plummeted in value day q and have never gained it back....and everyone is lacking their chops for a new machine.

Don't know why this so hard to grasp that a lower pin price is not an issue

#633 1 year ago

Black knight was sort of it already, and didn't do too well

#645 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

No, but close. No licensed themes (save the money, it's not needed), keep the quality materials (metal lockdown bar, cabs as solid as in the 70s-80s). No DMD. A strong playfield design, good playing pin with great artwork, light show and sound....

So this is basically what TNA is. The newest run, which of course needed no design time as it was already done; was I think 9k. How much was the OG run years ago...5 or 6?
    How much of that you want to tack on for a TV screen, which are at an all time low, you can fiddle around with. odin just showed me a set of X-pin Alpha displays which were like $250 ish for the 5 you would need...even at cost I don't know if that's cheaper than a small Monitor. SO the net savings probably isn't that much...not a grand+ anyway.

1 month later
    #684 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

...If you charge too much for too little people are going to go elsewhere - I mean we DO have decades of pinballs that still play well out there as alternatives...

1. Most people are looking for NIB these days anyway; look at their collections

2. Those old games cost as much or more than a NIB Stern pro.

#687 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

...I thought it was very out of touch for Gomez at Stern to state that you have to have an established IP in the interview below, yet we are seeing so many remakes of themes that were strictly pinball themes and some of those originally sold 6,000 machines at release.

Oh lord.

#689 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

....but is Chicago gaming not selling that well? Seems like Cactus Canyon is doing alright. I see that game and Medieval Madness popup all the time. I just guess I don't understand the claim that Pinball only IP's don't sell....

Those are famous IPs, obviously. Pinball IPs.

BKSOR & DI are the original themes and both undersold and DI is worth thousands less then released.
    BKSOR has gone up a bit

#698 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

...They’re undeniably great games to play, but they sell well because people love their (licensed) themes, same as Star Wars or Jurassic Park.

SW is a perfect point becasue so many people were crying in their dream journals when that thing came out; yet it's huge now

#712 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

I didn't ask that of them. I merely said that an unlicensed game at a good price, could sell.

Maybe; but a licensed game, good or not for much more, has a much better chance of selling.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Beatles = not cheap
    TNA = not cheap
    For the 9,000th time; makers are having no problem selling games for 10k' why would they make games at 4k?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Spooky just had no issue selling out Halloween & Ultraman in 1 day; he vast majority of those were the highest price option, and a chunk of those added 1k on for a clearcoated cabinet. Oh and they plummeted in value day q and have never gained it back....and everyone is lacking their chops for a new machine.
    Don't know why this so hard to grasp that a lower pin price is not an issue

#718 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

... no IP to pay for, same rules and playfield, with Elwin the designer, sell more than 500 @ $20K (say $8500K so would have to sell at least 1,176)?
    And the reverse, same pin Bond theme and same art and it's Stern's new designer, Jack Danger. Does that sell 500 @ $20K?

Huh...tuffy. Elwin easy would sell lore than Danger.

#724 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You fell for the logic trap Law. Elwin outsells Danger. But Bond outsells Elwin.

Ah that makes sense. It was giving me headache reading and couldn't figure out what was going on.

#750 1 year ago

That's what Stern thought as well, then they raised topper prices to 2k and still sold out immediately.

I'm sure they look at their customers as....passionate, at least rhats what they say.

#798 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

My track record already is every employee at EA + Take Two Interactive that trusts my work on billion dollar products sold every year.

Its always the video game guys.

#803 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

I don't know man. Ain't no point in continuing the conversation.

Uh huh.

2 months later
    #822 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

My question is do people here on pinside really want prices to go down?

Yes

#835 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Kid rock pricing update.
    May the “he charged $25 for terrible tickets once 15 years ago as a gimmick so stern should sell games for $3500” argument die forever.
    [quoted image]

Wow...insane.

#838 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I wouldn’t pay that hack $3,000 to play my nephew’s bar Mitzvah.
    Ok I lied I actually would.

But 'Grits' & ' Polyfuse' albums only of course

#840 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Kid rock pricing update.
    May the “he charged $25 for terrible tickets once 15 years ago as a gimmick so stern should sell games for $3500” argument die forever.
    [quoted image]

And I thought $75 Sisters Of Mercy time were a little high

#842 1 year ago

Fuckinh circle jerks

20230414_002350.jpg20230414_002350.jpg
    #844 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These guys probably sell 9 records a year, touring’s their only source of income
    I mean, I’d guess they all have jobs also.

They haven't been a fucking band in 39 years....ahhhh....reunion prices. Smart.

#846 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They were great in repo Man

True that...everything was great in repo man...best movie of the 80s hands down.
    Those 'OFF!' Albums were really well too.

1 week later
    #853 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

... (assuming it's an HUO game in nice shape),.

It's most likely in free pinball HUO shape.
    THICK layer of grime, rotting rubbers, a rubber band or 2 hear and there.

#855 11 months ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

kinda weird that the guy needs money so bad? maybe it's going to charity? hope so

He doesn't need monies, he needs less pinball machines he's never going to use.

#858 11 months ago
    Quoted from koji:

Hard to say..

Not really, he does quite a lot of directing work these days.
    Seems to be hitting the market at the peak after the Final Picard season.

3 weeks later
    #889 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

you need a solder sucker, a soldering iron, solder, a new battery holder, and a remote battery holder to install. Oh and some clippers.

Just install a coin battery at that point.

#895 11 months ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

...I still don't see a downside to simply installing lithiums and walking away.

Not much of one, just cost.

#906 10 months ago

Yeah that thread is lame ass

6 months later
    #1061 4 months ago

Direct cabinet print upgrade: $1,499

$500 increase from last release

EDIT: sorry it's only 100 up from scooby.
    Halloween 1000, acooby 1400, TCM 1500

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=thelaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.