(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_pump_house.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

watch the rocket from the launchpad holding their d*cks with wide eyes.

I've got this pin. Rare, NIB, HUO, shopped, restored, NOS.

$20k it's yours

1 year later
    #471 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don't find the comparison to be a little fucking lazy, and in almost all cases, a total fallacy?
    EVERYBODY compares EVERYTHING to cars. Why do they do this?
    What does a pinball machine have in common with a car, besides the fact that you can buy or sell one and that there is some metal and plastic in both?

Because they are subject to the same supply and demand market forces?

Because they sometimes are limited production, collectible and highly sought after?

But, most importantly, because sometimes you can use a car to pick up a pinball machine.

#477 1 year ago

> I would disagree with your points. Cars are NOT subject to the same supply and demand market.[/quote]

As recent events have revealed, cars are MOST DEFINITELY subject to the same supply and demand market. Hell, Chrysler pretty much invented new car rebates as an avenue to increase sales in the face of apathetic demand.

> For most people, cars are a necessity. They literally need one to live any kind of complete life.

A car may be a necessity but that necessity can usually be filled with a $16,000 Chevy spark. Many, if not most, people by a model of car because that's what they want, not because that is what they need. Does anyone really need a 755 hp crate LT5 corvette?

>For the "collectible car" market, I'd also posit there are very few similarities, beyond the nebulous idea that both are "collectible." Without exception, I'd say even the most expensive pinball machine isn't going to go near what the average car goes for. In addition, cars are much larger, requiring more space to store and to ship. I'd say the demographics of classic car collecting, besides being overwhelmingly white, are much different. Much older.

I suspect that the demographics collecting pinball machines are overwhelmingly white and much older.

#487 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Tissues - subject to supply and demand, you can buy shitty ones or expensive

Let the tissuememts commence!

I just thank the gods that you can’t mine cryptocurrency with WPC MPU’s

1 month later
    #516 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

So my question is, will the value of 90's era DMD machines start to go down as more and more of the newer machines replace them in the top 100 spots?

The improvement from EM to SS was like going from VHS to BluRay. The improvements in the newest machines are marginal/incremental and often newer machines aren’t better at all.

4 weeks later
    #541 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

There was a grocery store close to my prior residence. The store would put up “We’ve Lowered Prices!” signs showing when they lowered prices on certain items. But I never saw any “We’ve Raised Prices!” signs go up when they raised them. And I imagine prices were raised far more often than they were lowered. When there’s steady demand (such as for both groceries and pinball machines), prices continue to rise, especially if no one new enters the market (i.e., competition) to “skim the cream.”
    Somehow, folks don’t seem to stop buying pinball machines anymore than the general populace stops buying food. (This is the foodgument.)

Grocery store margins are crazy thin.

1 week later
    #551 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

A sign of prices dropping or of a pin’s (lack of) popularity, or both? Pinsider lists little-used Ultraman CE for $6,000 on 9/29/22 and it’s still apparently unsold as of the next day:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-ultraman-collectors-edition-34#post-7164113

Well, when the seller states that he does not like the game and he wants it to go away as a selling point...

3 months later
    #746 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

There isn't a justification for lots of products. People buy action figures. My friend growing up bought the Master Chief Halo helmet to sit on his desk for $100. People just buy stuff and they like it. Even static things. I got a painting by Michael Cheval that sadly cost me too much money. It sits on my wall. Someone finds value in all kinds of items.
    I don't believe Stern has the opinion their customers are idiots. Even with the Bond game. You know they tried something new and boosted the price. But if in order for me to sell products to make a living is to look down on my customers as idiots, I'd take myself out of the game. Not saying that against Stern but the opinion of someone on here. At least I think everyone agrees it's a ridiculous price. Some might say it's so ridiculous that someone that spends it must be stupid. "Too bad you don't run Stern, pinball machines would be way cheaper." Would would you do if you owned Stern? Call everyone on Pinside that owns a topper, which I'm sure is a TON of people. Idiots. That you publicly look down on them?

You remind me of people who used to come to the bar and say "Man, if you had $1 bottles you would be PACKED!!"

#773 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

For sure, but I'm saying if you were an established best pinball brand, has a pcb shop, someone that does design on a daily basis. Your topper quality is what I should expect $800 to get from the best pinball company in the world.

You are extremely committed to guestimating costs without knowledge and dictating what everyone else should charge for their work.

#775 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If he and kid rock band together to form a pinball company, life will be nothing but rainbows and unicorns.

IM A COOOOWWWBOOOYYY BAAAABBBBYYYY

#781 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

I mean I spent 4 years R&D'ing the price of 5/16" steel rod at volumes of 100 feet and 1000 ft. The cost time to cut them, debur them, have them galvanized. I've spoken with copper wire suppliers at volumes of various quantities. Cable making companies. Chip suppliers. Acrylic. Paint. All this stuff. Aside from that I've worked with concept artists from ILM (star wars), various videogame companies. I know what a piece of artwork costs and the time and what a pcb design costs because I build them and get quotes through various shops from USA to China. Might be something you can learn from me. If you think I offer no insights about pinball, business, design etc, then by all means. I'm a dummy and horrible business man.

Well I did a deal with Nuclear Blast if you are familiar with them. They liked working with me. Testament, Gojira, all these bands like doing business with me. Dave Mustaine might work with me. If you think everyone is motivated by money and wants to call fellow pinball fans "stupid" and fellow metal heads (even tighter community) stupid, then I'm certain they won't do business with you. You are on a pinball website and you called anyone that buys pinball toppers stupid. What?

Quoted from dpadam450:

I mean I spent 4 years R&D'ing the price of 5/16" steel rod at volumes of 100 feet and 1000 ft. The cost time to cut them, debur them, have them galvanized. I've spoken with copper wire suppliers at volumes of various quantities. Cable making companies. Chip suppliers. Acrylic. Paint. All this stuff. Aside from that I've worked with concept artists from ILM (star wars), various videogame companies. I know what a piece of artwork costs and the time and what a pcb design costs because I build them and get quotes through various shops from USA to China. Might be something you can learn from me. If you think I offer no insights about pinball, business, design etc, then by all means. I'm a dummy and horrible business man.

Well I did a deal with Nuclear Blast if you are familiar with them. They liked working with me. Testament, Gojira, all these bands like doing business with me. Dave Mustaine might work with me. If you think everyone is motivated by money and wants to call fellow pinball fans "stupid" and fellow metal heads (even tighter community) stupid, then I'm certain they won't do business with you. You are on a pinball website and you called anyone that buys pinball toppers stupid. What?

No one told me there was going to be wiener measuring!!!

#789 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

Can't really engage in meaningful conversation with that idea. I mean you said I couldn't guess the cost to R&D an acrylic pinball topper with attached PCB(?)

That is not what I said at all.

#801 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

Claims I'm stupid. and then insults people who buy pinball accessories on a pinball website for hardcore pinball fans.

It's almost like people type something and then you infer the negativity in their statement you want to hear.

#806 1 year ago

Terminator 3 in 2020 for $600 during the pandemic. It was in a teachers lounge. It was in great condition but the DMD was gassed so it wasn’t used for years.

3 months later
    #896 11 months ago

I used to be into RC EDF jets.

Let me just say that a lithium fire will really get your attention. I had an unbalanced pack start to swell on the charger. It took it off the charger and put it out in open grass where it caught fire.

#898 11 months ago

Just a FYI. Leaking lithium batteries smell like bubblegum.

If you smell bubblegum get the battery out of the house ASAP. When a lithium battery enters a thermal runaway condition it's a puff of smoke and then a very large fireball.

A small single cell coin lithium is all I would consider putting in a pin. I would not consider putting 3 Lithium AA's in series in a battery holder due to the potential for the cells to become unbalanced.

This video is a good example of what happend when my swollen RC lipo pack went off. The battery in the video is a 3S 1100mah so about the same capacity as 3 AA lithiums. The battery I was charging was a very high end Tanic with balancing circuitry built in the pack and I was using a very high end monitoring charger and I still had a pack go off.

The guy in the video is not very smart. Let's have the family watch and inhale some toxic fumes...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_pump_house.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=the_pump_house and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.