(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunnrat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

That is a pricing advantage the veterans (we who tend to complain about today’s prices compared to “the good old days”) still have over newbies.

There are certainly still some good deals out there that can be found by practically anyone that can use a computer or phone. I think there are plenty of us who understand where prices are at and the "good ol days" mean a different thing to different people. Today, someone somewhere is picking up a sweet deal and it sure as hell is a good day.

I still come across great games at decent prices. Win some, lose some. This is my hobby, not my career, so I have nothing to complain about, other than maybe not liking how a game plays or something.

Also, finding deal can take time, effort, patience, and eventually a certain amount of money. While the average consumer wants the latest and greatest and they want it NOW, or really really soon...with a tracking number.

It's up to the new folks how far they want to get into this hobby. Sure it isnt always pretty. I just dont see it as an "advantage" when it is something that everyone is free to work at if they want to explore this hobby outside of distributed games with warranties.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Thanks for starting this thread, I wonder if there is a time of year when the prices of pins falls a bit, thinking summer may be the best buying time and winter may be the best selling time. Thought and experience you have had?

Edit: I misread this. It really boils down to what you want and how much you want to pay for it.

I've noticed games get listed when the newest title is announced but there are always deals somewhere year round.

2 months later
    #124 2 years ago
    Quoted from ShooterMike:

Gotta love the increase in Investment Value. Even just to buy&hold.

Oh yay, money.

You love increasing investment value, I love increasing bonus multipliers. Something in this hobby for everyone, I guess.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yep. I'm glad I bought in a little early. I buy, hold, enjoy, and sell for a profit. I keep my games for a long time, so I'll enjoy a great collection for a decade or so and walk away with 20%. What's not to like?

I guess I'm one of the few who isnt motivated by money in this hobby.

If I ever get rid of a machine, it's only so I can get one that I like a little more instead. I've never had to rely on my hobby for income.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Logic 101?
    Motivated by money and being smart with money are two different things. Condemning those who consistently make smart decisions with their money is just plain ignorant. I've made over 50k on my MTG collection over the years, and I'd say I've had equal if not more fun than my friends who didn't bother investing in rare, expensive cards.
    Your silly and insulting insinuation that I rely on pinball for income says more about you than me.

Wow. Relax. I'm not condemning you or anyone. It's just me making a statement that i've always kept the two seperate. Jeez pinside lately. I'm happy for your success and i'll even give you a thumbs up if that makes up for my insulting and offensive posts.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

"I've never had to rely on my hobby for income."
    This is your reply to me taking about making money off my machines when I eventually sell them after a decade of ownership. Don't play the victim.

Unreal.

I'm glad you enjoy them and i'm glad you made money. I dont relate because what I get I keep until death or trade. People are different. Give it a rest.

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Sure, had you said that, I would have given you a thumbs up. We all approach things differently, and I respect your approach.

I'm not against making money or being smart with it, etc. Of course that would be silly. I think I'm just at a point where I have what I like and sure I can make money on it but I rather always have pinball instead of extra cash. That's just me. For others it's different and that's totally fine. Apologies if the tone was snarky or demeaning.

#149 2 years ago

Video pinball can have everything that ever existed and i'd still take an EM over that.

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

Nobody said I got rid of all my other machines ....I still have EM,s and Solid State machines and I will still buy, Fix , play and sell older titles when I get tired of them but I am not ever going to spend over 3 gran for one and that's the point .....I like the hobby but I plan to keep it in perspective

Nobody said you did?

I've played virtual pinball, it was fine for about 2 minutes. As real as it looks, I don't FEEL it. Not the same as pinball for me.

To each their own, but I would never own one and have it in a space where an actual one could be.

#155 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

But when you cant get any action at all

Is that what this is about?

I dont think I have a problem with that here at home.

Why would I replace something like this with virtual anything? These games have all the action I need.
    20210702_135422 (resized).jpg20210702_135422 (resized).jpg

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

"Whatcha been doin' down there Johnny?"
    "Oh just working on the machines as always honey"
    "Can ask you a question?"
    "Sure honey, fire away"
    "why is it that you always come to bed with one clean hand?"

Yeah, the analogy is so gross I'm not even sure why I bother responding.

1 year later
    #654 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

The point is there is a market for cheaper pins with less toys and junk.

There's currently a Star Wars Home Edition available at 5k and it has ramps, drops, and a spinner.

Anything less and you can expect the box to say "some assembly required".

1 month later
    #800 1 year ago
    tenor.giftenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunnrat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=sunnrat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.