(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#463 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Is a “cargument” ever a valid analogy when discussing pinball pricing?

There's always going to be similarities and differences with any two markets. Focusing on the differences doesn't negate the similarities. Supply and demand, and buyer psychology would be two examples of things that effect those two markets similarly.

If supply is low (like it has been), prices will be higher. If people are afraid that if they don't buy now they may miss out (like it has been), prices will be higher.

When supply catches up to demand, it'd be silly to say "prices never go down". We're already seeing it with lower used and NIB pins. And we're seeing it with lower used car prices. There's lots of info to be gleaned from looking outside the narrow world of the pin market!

#468 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Does anyone else think pinball manufacturers would do better if each new pin had its own pricing ? I know what they’re doing ,put out a loaded fan favorite and move the pricing to 7/9/11 then follow with something stripped down from the former at the same prices or raise the prices of back orders after the hike .It’s no big secret .I just think maybe by pricing a particular pin to the cost of manufacturing as a whole would be ideal .I would think this way they could reach more customers .Basically a Mando or LZ should not be in the same price range NIB as a GZ or JP being produced at the same time basically .If this doesn’t make sense please downvote as I’m at 98% thumbs up and nothing in life is that perfect

I've read your post three times. Perhaps it's only because I've had 1/2 a cup of coffee, but I don't understand what you're saying. Are you suggesting selling each pin at a price directly tied to what each pin costs to make? Or sell them at lower prices as time goes on? My intrigue is surpassed only by my confusion.

Please advise

#488 1 year ago

It's amazing how much more sense a thread like this makes when you turn ignore on for just a user or two. I can finally read most posts and think "Yeah, that's logical" and "Hey, where did all the constant venom go?"

Delightful!

3 weeks later
    #496 1 year ago
    Quoted from prl867:

The “Banning Effect” as I call it is still alive and well in the pin marketplace.
    It really opened the eyes of so many non-pinheads and the Banning auction exposed a lingering silent majority of John Q. Publics that have no idea that Pinside exists and had no idea that it was even possible to own a pinball machine.
    The other day while volunteering at the Pinball Hall of Fame here in Vegas, a very nice gentleman asked me if there was any way we coujd sell him our South Park. He had just lost a bid for $8700 as it ended up selling for $9300.
    I was flabbergasted at these prices he was throwing out and I thought for a min and asked, are you bidding on South Park online via eBay? He admitted this was indeed the case.
    He was willing to offer the same $8700 for our South Park, which admittedly, is beat to hell.
    He’s an average consumer. He has never heard of Pinside or the Pinside marketplace.
    Of course we did not sell him our beater, but I did guide him over to Pinside to get educated and acclimated to the real world of pinball.

I think this is a sign of the economic times. People are spending gobs of money in very decadent ways without much apparent thought. This kind of widespread behavior never lasts, and never without a reversal. No one is going to look at a South Park during the next "financial hard times" and think it's worth $9k. I'll be eager to see what the "prices never go down" people will be saying at that point.

#499 1 year ago

I'd like to ask: What do you see happening in the next few months/years that could effect pin pricing? For me...

-If the economy continues to get worse, we'll see less money for fun stuff like pins. Prices go down. I think we've partially seen this play out with most prices stabilizing.
    -Manufacturers catch up with demand and clear backlogs. Less FOMO, prices go down.
    -Manufacturers still can't get parts needed and tensions between the US and China get worse. Prices go up.
    -A continued rush of interest into pinball. Demand and prices go up. BUT...
    -...eventually, if that demand continues, prices will drop if manufacturers can move from niche manufacturing to mass/mainstream.
    -The stock market plummets, and people feel less rich. Prices go down. (for the record, if the stock market dropped by half tomorrow I'd be listing all of my machines, selling most and investing that money)
    -The economy gets worse and some pin manufacturers go bankrupt. I have a hunch this is pretty likely. The closing of manufacturers, by itself, would put upward pressure on pins.

What do YOU think? I'd love to hear your ideas (first) and have some conversation about the above.

#501 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

So I expect inflation to begin falling as well. The economy is doing really well, in every metric but inflation, so I expect we won't have any big changes coming.

You know we're in a recession, right? Our economy has shrunk the last two quarters. Up until a few years ago, that was the longstanding definition of a recession. However you define it, the economy has shrunk. Not healthy. I know you're talking about housing demand and inflation and jobs creation, and those are all important, but when it comes to "the economy" growth is the end measurement.

Quoted from MtnFrost:

The stock market is not going to plummet, so nothing I can add there.

You have a lot of forward-looking comments! You're a braver soul than I. I don't think anyone knows when or how the stock market will move. A plummet could happen tomorrow, or a decade from now. Do you think you could have seen the last big drops (or recoveries) in 2020, 2008, or 2000? I had an inkling of an idea for each one, but ultimately I had no solid idea. I sure wouldn't have guessed we'd be at the levels we were during the first year of a global pandemic!

I think Stern or most of the manufacturers WOULD expand if they were confident they could. Maybe not the Spookys of the world, but the JJPs and Sterns I'm sure would love to grow. Do you think they wouldn't grab market share and make more pins if they could? I think the bigger players would. I'd bet Jersey Jack G. would love to be the only player in town To put it a different way, what do you think would happen if demand kept increasing? Do you think the current manufacturers would grow, or would it all be absorbed by new companies?

1 week later
    #515 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

So my question is, will the value of 90's era DMD machines start to go down as more and more of the newer machines replace them in the top 100 spots?

I don't think anyone values a pin based on those rankings. Instead I think they'll likely go down relative to new pins because it makes little sense (to me) for a 30 year old pin to cost 80% as much as a new one.

#522 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Try and buy a Stargazer. Or a TZ. Or an Addams Family. Or.....

If a hundred "hot new pins" were released and took over the top 100, I don't think the games you mentioned would change value because of it. Their relative ranking is not making them valuable, their individual popularity is.

#529 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Pins are like a good stock. They go up, up, down, up, up, down. Always crawling to new highs.

So, you're thinking when EMs were selling for less than new up until a few years ago, that was just a 40-80 year low period?

#536 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I am hoping that with the gas prices falling, shippers like NAVL, etc., reduce their shipping costs. What do you think? Would they, or are their shipping prices going to stay up regardless of any good news? Sure would be nice for distant sales.

Falling gas prices won't hurt, but there are many variables that effect their shipping costs. If all the shippers' costs go down (or up), then that would effect the rates. I can only imagine a shortage of labor, and the cost of that labor, is a big one right now.

3 weeks later
    #548 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Competition was supposed to lower pin prices back when JJP 1st entered the scene. Everyone was thinking Stern or the newcomer would have to lower prices, the opposite happened.

How do we know it didn't create lower prices than would otherwise be? I think if Stern was the only manufacturer, and total supply was substantially lower, prices would be even higher than we see today.

2 weeks later
    #552 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Just thinking about a couple acquisitions I would like to make, not that I have room, but details, details….

Just wondering when this avocation May start to see some pushback in pricing due to the economy, specifically the stock markets affect on folks wallets. Not to mention just the cost of living that has gone up substantially! Fuel, food you name it. At some point this will have to affect, in my humble opinion, our avocation. Regardless of the midterms, I just don’t see things getting righted anytime soon.

Didn’t use to care to much about this kind of stuff but as one gets older and has less time to recover, we’ll you know.

G

Despite what everyone tells you, pinball prices don't always go up. And with any item, if the prices suddenly shoot up in value and become generally unreasonable, they come back down eventually. The market will not allow "crazy pricing" forever. The part that a lot of enthusiasts struggle with is they keep thinking "Well, if demand drops and prices plummet, I'll pick up lots of pins cheap!". That isn't logical, because they ARE the demand. If it drops, that means THEY aren't buying as many pins anymore. It's hard for some people to wrap their head around that.

When the economy struggles, peoples buying habits change. I've been told that it historically has never effected pin pricing, but when there's a HUGE home market that's still growing with record high prices I can't help but think the outcome will be different. If you read through the last few pages on this thread you might see some more input. I enjoy talking economy/markets/pin pricing, so fire away

#554 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Past events shouldn't be used as future indicators, but I can only go with what I know. I don't think I'm disagreeing here to say, pins have never gotten cheap since I started in the hobby in the late 90s. Whitewater used to be 1200, and I remember thinking that was rich. I could rattle off a lot of titles, but you get the idea. Couple that with the availability of repro'd playfields, plastics and backglasses, and even the bargain worn to the wood pins are much much harder to find and buy for that bargain price. Then, add in internet, something that was in it's infancy when I started collecting. That's when I could get a Fathom shipped cross-country for 700 total.

What did that used $1200 Whitewater cost new? More than $1200, right? So it went -down- to the $1200. And at that lower $1200 price, you even said you thought it was rich. So you thought that pin should have only been, say, $800. Why? Likely because generally the pins you were seeing at that time had gone down in value from their NIB price. That's my point. Historically most NIB pins lost value as time went on. Some went up immediately, sure, but most went down immediately. These last few years seem to have people forgetting that. And even in your example, your memory starts at $1200, -after- the initial value drop. Which is understandable, as we all start considering things at a certain point in time and congrats on you going back at least that far to begin with.

#561 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Disagree completely. The economy is doing very well, and while I do expect there to be some sort of mild recession, we are in a much healthier place now than during the COVID pandemic. I think we are seeing the peak of inflation right now.

Growth is the #1 measurement of the economy. The economy has shrunk two quarters in a row. It's the definition of not doing well.

#567 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

No, it's not. It's one of several measurements.

You literally don't know what you're talking about when you say this. You're right in that it is indeed one of several measurements, but you're confusing other numbers with the economy. The economy IS the economy, and if the ECONOMY is shrinking then the ECONOMY is not doing well. You can mention unemployment (which measures...you know, unemployment) and inflation (which, again measures inflation) but those numbers don't MEASURE the economy. The economy does.

It's like you're saying your wages are doing GREAT because your boss is a nice guy and the business you work in is doing well...but your hourly wage is down. Your wages, in this situation, are NOT doing well.

#568 1 year ago

I shouldn't mean to sound so harsh. I assume you mean well. I just think you're conflating different things which are related, but not the same.

#579 1 year ago
    Quoted from Classics_Master:

I also feel it’s these new game prices that’s really hurting everything. Like when I bought my NIB Simpsons Party in 2003 for $3600, that was the standard top price for a game then. Plus they just made one game. No premium or LE, just a top quality game with so many features, and it was complete when released. Today, the normal Simpsons Party we knew then would be a premium, with all the flippers and drop targets and such. However, games just kinda stayed the same price year after year. At that time, a used Williams game would generally be much lower, unless you wanted a top earning title like say a monster bash, attack from mars or twilight zone, but you still wouldn’t expect those games to be more than $3600, as that was the standard price for a brand new game. I feel today the standard game pricing is just too high, it just drives up the price on everything. That’s why you’re seeing all these Williams games such as Fish Tales, The Shadow, White water and Dracula go for so high, where they were $1500 or less in 2003, just going by the price of a new game. I guess that’s where I can’t see paying for premium games today. It just makes it hard if you’ve been in this hobby for at least 20+ years and knowing what game prices were for so long.

Everything goes hand in hand, and nothing happens in a vacuum. The NIB prices are higher because the used market is higher. And the used market is higher because the NIB prices are higher. Ultimately it's not the manufacturers that are setting the prices people are paying, it's you and me. They can't charge $10k for a NIB if we're not willing to pay for it...but "we", the market, are. I don't think the buyers are "hurting" everything, but we are the ones making it happen. The sellers are just facilitating. Some dude asking $20k for a TMNT (that sits unsold) isn't going to effect the market, but a dude willing to pay it will.

1 month later
    #593 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I have to agree with what others have mentioned. There are a LOT of great games MUCH harder to find than SOF... Spirit, Defender, Dragonfist, Cyclopes, Time Fantasy, Pinball Magic, Mystery Castle, Spooky, Andromeda, Class of 1812, the list goes on and on here. You are kind of spewing with the all rare games suck comment. A lot of people can't stand Medieval Madness. But it's far from dogshit.

See "Cyclopes", thinks "that's spelled wrong". Clicks on link...

...WTF is THAT? And that side art. Haha...

2 weeks later
    #611 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think they will be the same as Halloween, maybe a touch more. So right at 10k for CE shipped/taxed

I think you'll be right, but it's amazing what little you're getting with a CE. No upgraded sound, no upgraded glass, no extra playfield mechs, etc. And yet, CEs were the vast majority of Halloween sales.

Having said that, their used HWN prices have tanked. I just sold a $10,500 (shipped) Halloween CE w/Butter Cabinet for less than $8k. I wonder if that will effect their initial pricing...probably not.

#621 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Who the heck can spend that type of coin on a toy?

Are you on the right site?

Kidding aside, the fact that you're interested in buying a NIB and not just playing it on location answers your question. Most everyone here -could- buy one if they wanted, it's just a matter of what to sell. If you sold all three of your "old used pins" you could buy a NIB. Granted, it may be less reliable than your three current pins, but...

1 week later
    #658 1 year ago

Do you know any of these "kidults?" They sound like a strange bunch.
    It's interesting to see this clearly isn't just happening in the pinball industry. People my age with money now want to spend it on "toys".

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/19/kidults-biggest-sales-driver-toy-industry.html

2 weeks later
    #672 1 year ago

I’d think that if you need to finance it, that’s a good sign you can’t afford it. Wow.

Needing to finance something is the -definition- of not being able to afford it! People often overlook that fact. Financing entertainment is the surefire path to working forever.

1 week later
    #680 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Is it because everything is getting cheaper? Reliable labor, parts, fuel, interest rates and the like? I think you are trolling.

There are forces like you mentioned that have pushed prices up. But he might be referring to a big force that could be pushing prices down this year - reduced demand. What you mentioned already happened and costs already went up. Maybe all those already inflated costs will continue to skyrocket. Maybe the already high demand will continue to skyrocket. But when we assume super high numbers will continue to climb, or super low numbers will continue to plummet, we're often wrong. And no one knows, so it'll be fun to watch how 2023 unfolds. Looking back is easy. Looking forward is surprisingly difficult.

#757 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

The Mandalorian topper for $2K and the James Bond 60th pin for $20K are anomalies.

I think you may be surprised. I could easily see more $20k+ Super Special Editions of something, and more $2k toppers. I hope they offer them - it gives people more choices, something I like (choices). I'm not buying them even if they're $10k and $200, but I'm glad if people want to they can.

And I don't think they're stupid as some have said - they are just choosing differently than me. I'm sure some people think I'm stupid for paying thousands for commercial grade amusement equipment for my house. I'm not stupid - I'm just choosing differently than them.

#797 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Christ will this gasbag please take a day off?

Finally, you get us! But only ironically.

2 months later
    #819 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Pinball prices crashing soon with all the recent releases.
    SD Collectors over 1,000 Sold
    Foo Fighters 1,000 LE's sold
    Pulp Fiction 1,000 LE's sold
    God Father 1,000 CE's almost sold
    Tank game is fun as heck ???????????????
    Seems like in 3 months this new soft market has absorbed 4,000 of the most expensive pins from these 4 manufactures.
    Where and how are this many games being sold and why if the market is softening?

If I'm trying to understand something, I exaggerate some of the numbers as a practice. Add a zero onto each of those sales figures. If they all sold 10,000 of each of those pins, and those pins were all in circulation, would that push prices up or down? If instead of 19 pins you had 190, would you be a net buyer or seller? Once you have the extremes answered, you can lower the huge numbers and try that in your head.

Godzilla is a great example: there was a fixed amount out there for a long time. Used prices were MSRP+10%. Once they catch up with demand and there's a ton out there, the price will likely go down substantially.

If everyone's collection doubled in size tomorrow, they wouldn't be buying as many pins. If they were cut in half tomorrow they likely would be buying more. With some mental acrobatics you can figure out what effects what. And everything...effects everything.

3 weeks later
    #874 11 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Do you know what my favorite and my longest term keeper is? My STTNG. My favorite designer with a dream theme, great toys, great theme integration.

It's funny how quickly you can tune into which designers you like and not like, and their overall feel. No one ever played a STTNG and thought "Say, did Lawlor make this one?"

3 weeks later
    #890 11 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Just install a coin battery at that point.

Or lithium AAs (if the battery holder was still healthy). I still don't see a downside to simply installing lithiums and walking away.

#894 11 months ago
    Quoted from PrinceOfPinside:

I might be moving soon and plan on putting my games into storage for a while.
    They all have lithium batteries installed.
    Should I remove them to be on the safe side, or will I be okay?

I think the reasonable answer is "Lithiums practically never leak. It's just not a thing. Leave them there forever."
    I think the paranoid answer is "Take them out. The mere idea of a battery sitting on a board for long periods of time makes me nervous."

And even as someone who's handled thousands of lithium batteries and have never seen one leak, there would still be that tiny voice inside me saying "pull them out". So, paranoia for the win! Also, they're expensive and are just going to sit there slowly draining.

#899 11 months ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

I personally had an Energizer lithium battery (admittedly, a coin type) less than 5 years old leak in my auto darkening welding mask that is stored indoors in a climate controlled room. I was able to save it, but wasn't happy. I thought lithiums were safe from leaking; learned that lesson.

I believe you, but this is literally the first confirmed report I've heard directly that doesn't involve moisture. Is there -any- chance there was moisture involved? I've seen a corroded lithium button cell in a previously waterlogged package, but that's it.

1 month later
    #909 9 months ago

The market seems to be getting more realistic. Pinheads or flippers seemed to easily buy NIB and sell for more even after playing it. Are we back to normal now, where you lose value as soon as you open it up and play it, like it was before recently?

It's clearly heading back in that direction. JP is a great example - finding one below NIB was a challenge. Now they're plentiful. It's funny how when there's less inventory, prices go up, and when there's more inventory, prices go down. It's like the pinball market actually follows the general rules of markets vs "prices never go down!"

1 week later
    #916 9 months ago
    Quoted from cvgarber:

Can we start to see the same downward trend with medieval madness? Really want that game but without any more runs, these used prices are just ridiculous.

I told someone two years ago that the "prices weren't sustainable", and explained that I meant not the absolute prices but the gaps between new releases and older pins. Is a mid-grade 20 year old pin like Monopoly worth 80% of a NIB? I'm saying no. But at the time I was expecting those midgrade pins to go down. Instead, the NIB pricing has gone up and dragged the Monopolies along, just not at quite the same rate. And the really sought after pins have gone even more through the roof. Will a Medieval Madness continue to be valued at double a NIB? Again, I'm saying no.

And speaking of MM, CGC has stated they plan to remake it. Granted, that was supposed to happen this year and that's pretty unlikely. But when that happens, expect those prices to come down. A lot of people will choose a $9k NIB remake vs a $14k original if given the choice.

#919 9 months ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

They already remade this years ago.

Sorry, I should have said "They plan to re-remake it", aka make another run of it.

1 week later
    #929 8 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

So what you are saying is that the secondary pinball market (used machines) has returned to much more like what it was before the pandemic and, exactly the same as it had been for about 15 years prior to 2019? I agree but wasn’t all this to be expected?

It seems half the pinball world disagreed, and have said over and over and over that pin prices never go down. They didn't seem to think the stock market, mortgage rates, home prices, etc., actually affected the pinball market despite them affecting every other market.

Quoted from snyper2099:

The thing that I don’t understand are those that try to debate and predict and speculate what will happen with pinball pricing in the future.

Replace "pinball pricing" with "markets in general", and there's lots of interest in that discussion. But when you combine that with pinball people, it becomes pinball market discussion. Unfortunately, more people want to belittle and argue then discuss, but I've come to accept that's the crap side of Pinside. I like talking about "what ifs", and pondering questions. Some people just want to talk at you. THAT is something I struggle to understand.

#934 8 months ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

Interesting, but if there isn't more significant savings than that I just don't see the point, other than a passion project.

I can't imagine doing this if it WASN'T a passion project.

1 month later
    #940 7 months ago
    Quoted from TylerTheTired:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...
    I'm new here. Seems like pins are expensive. Any advice on getting started? How do I stop being so poor?

Well, those are two pretty different questions. And the answers will probably clash with each other!

If you buy a newer nicer pin, it'll cost you a "lot" of money and you'll do some work to it.
    If you buy an older pin, it'll cost you less and you'll have to do more work to it.
    Don't plan on either option making you much money! But buying broken stuff, fixing it, and selling it for some profit is fun if you like the fixing part.

As for "how to stop being poor", I strongly strongly (strongly) recommend mrmoneymustache.com. It is a life changing site. And no, he's not trying to sell you anything, just give you levelheaded advice. While I had already been doing much of what he talks about, it still changed the trajectory of my financial life and helped me retire when I was 42.

#970 7 months ago

Speaking of Pinball Pricing, does any still think this is just a "summer slump"? I didn't think it in May. I don't think it now. There's a Godfather LE sitting unsold at $9500. Many moderns Sterns under $6k. This would have been unthinkable a year or two ago. Will the winter snow magically bring buyers scurrying to buy these up? I'm guessing not. Inventory has caught up, the mania has died down, and the slump has started.

Many pin people will swear pinball pricing doesn't follow standard economics, but every sustained shortage (and mania) is usually followed by a glut of product, which (while unthinkable in the shortage/mania stage) dampens demand. I think we're there.

#983 7 months ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

And a good steak is insanely priced!
    [quoted image]

Yikes! Thank God for Costco!

1 month later
    #1004 6 months ago

Dear Santa Fromage,
    I know you're full of lies about these pinball price drops because pinball prices never drop. I've read the internet. I know.
    Signed,
    Pretentious Pinhead

Seriously though, those are great prices. AND free shipping? It's about time. I've been getting sick of everyone...telling everyone...that this was an impossibility. $6k for a LZ Pro shipped is actually pretty tempting.

#1024 5 months ago

So is this going to become a trend, or is it more likely to be a short-lived exception?

I've been expecting this for awhile, and was laughed at when I suggested it could happen. I'll double down and say it's going to happen more, yes.

2 weeks later
    #1054 5 months ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Catch that falling knife.

Nobody would possibly believe this term could be used for buying pins these last few years. But now, it's 100% spot on.

4 weeks later
    #1062 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

$500 increase from last release

I struggle to understand how anyone can see the value in this. Yes, it feels and looks cool. But man oh man $1500 is a LOT of money for this. I had a used Halloween CE and a Toy Story CE with it and wouldn't have paid more than $100 for that feature.

3 weeks later
    #1063 3 months ago

Well, January 2024 is looking awfully different from January 2023. I look back and laugh when, in the spring, I mentioned how the market was soft and was snarkily asked "Is this your first spring in the pinball market?" (because everyone knows the spring is slow, you dummy!). And then I mentioned it was even softer in late fall, and was told "Oh, it's the holidays, the market is always soft around this time of year".

It's amazing when people can't recalibrate their thinking and accept that things DO change, that markets change, and what was happening yesterday won't necessarily be happening today or tomorrow. We're in a time that seemed almost unthinkable a couple year ago - there are a TON of games priced way below what we were clamoring to pay just a short while ago. And they're sitting there, unsold. Exciting...and changing...times indeed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.