(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanStl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 2 years ago

popcorn (resized).jpgpopcorn (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #43 2 years ago

Wait, this is the all in one price thread someone always chimes in about? Not working.

1 month later
    #107 2 years ago

Glad to see this thread got some legs. I'm with another poster that is a one pin owner. I feel like I got in before the lock last summer buying my pin after not having one for a long time. I used to enjoy searching the ads to see what's for sale. Now, I don't bother. No way I'm getting a second pin any time soon at these prices.

3 weeks later
    #178 2 years ago

The problem with using the R word is it brings high expectations. To me, saying restored means everyting has been gone through, in pristine shape and back to original. Should have been advertised as a very clean WW (maybe make sure it is clean) and you can list what you replaced. Let other people judge if that equals a restoration or not.

#181 2 years ago

Funny, I meant to post this "restored comment" in the WH2O FS thread. Still works here, I guess.

1 month later
    #286 2 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

Exactly. The pinside average is trailing and doesn’t account for off market sales. AFM LE is pinside priced at 8k average; and it’s trading at almost 11k all day long.
    The algorithm isn’t properly weighted; and is weighted too heavily towards old sales data. A shrewd buyer can leverage this disparity.

People complain about the Top 100 algorithm, but the Pinside price guide is the one that is really broken and it matters. I believe an objective volunteer or committee of experts be used to come up with the price range. I'm sure people would volunteer for this. If on the committe and you own the game you obstain.

#323 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

People can laugh, but I didn't write the laws... violate them at your own risk and peril. I honor my prices both offered and accepted.

You know what they say; possesion is 9 tenths of the law.

10 months later
    #469 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don't find the comparison to be a little fucking lazy, and in almost all cases, a total fallacy?
    EVERYBODY compares EVERYTHING to cars. Why do they do this?
    What does a pinball machine have in common with a car, besides the fact that you can buy or sell one and that there is some metal and plastic in both?

Probably because boh are big ticket items, collectible, and can be operated. The second hand buying process is similar and both have dealers for new.

A lot of the comparisons are valid. It just appears you have a disdain for cars, and that makes sense because you are a New Yorker that doesn't own one. Most of the rest of the country can relate.

#475 1 year ago

If it wasn't so comparable people would be doing it all the time. To most the comparisons make sense. Sorry you disagree, but many do not.

#478 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

I'll weigh in on my use of the car vs. pinball machine comparison, tho no economics are involved. I've used these analogies several times when talking pinball machines with my car friends (I've restored both).
    Classic Restorations
    Both car enthusiasts and pinball enthusiasts can fall into camps ranging from "purists" to "anything goes" and everything in-between. You've got classic restorers for both cars and pins that will repair something broken before considering to replace any part, use only original parts before resorting to after-market, keep the patina of the car or pin vs repainting or repairing any surface areas that aren't critical to the infrastructure, and the like.
    RestoMods
    Just like putting a modern drivetrain into a '67 Chevelle to make it as reliable as new cars coming off the assembly line, you can do the same with many solid state pins by installing modern PCBs. Playfield blown? Put in a CPR. And just like replacing that worn out, beyond repair body on that Chevelle you can get newly manufactured pin cabs for classic Ballys and Sterns or use well-preserved donors to replace your termite infested originals.
    Rat Rods
    This seems to be popular in my area....guys taking abused SS pins with lots of cosmetic damage, patina, missing/damaged plastics, and "history" and make them run like a top with new PCBs, rubbers, flipper rebuilds, and the like. Pins plays like new, but looks like it's at death's door.
    Over The Top Customizations
    Just like the car guy that takes a classic 1956 Corvette and slaps on oversized tires for a lifted rake, paints the body in art deco colors and think's it's beautiful you've got the pin guy who puts clown puke LEDs in his STTNG and thinks the same. There's room for everyone in both hobbies.
    One of the better analogies I like to use is discovering that bargain project you bought home has more serious issues than you thought as you start to peel back the layers. Then you've got to make that decision - do I pour more money in it to fix it (if it can be fixed), or do I cut my losses there and junk it or part it out.
    The only economic analogy I'll put in is this: The guy who restored his car and the guy who restored his pin will each want too much money when it comes to sell as they "recoup" their "investment". I've been there too many times in both cars and pins - you restore for the love of the hobby and shouldn't expect to make all of your money back.

Stop making sense

8 months later
    #833 11 months ago

Says someone trying to get way more than a pin is worth. Nice try.

1 month later
    #902 10 months ago

Suddenly I'm in the EV thread with battery fire stories.

3 months later
    #956 6 months ago
    Quoted from TylerTheTired:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...
    I'm new here. Seems like pins are expensive. Any advice on getting started? How do I stop being so poor?

One word Powerball.

#957 6 months ago

Oh, don't have kids. My five are huge money sinks. Love them, but daaaamn expensive. Hoping one will pay be back later in life.

#958 6 months ago

This is how you can afford anything:

tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.giftumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif

1 week later
    #984 6 months ago

Steaks are a lot cheaper when you buy 1/4, half, or whole cow!

1 month later
    #1022 5 months ago

Would be so tempting if they had the title I want discounted, but don't want to deal with all the NIB broken shit. Would rather get a sorted out game.

1 week later
    #1050 4 months ago

Front wheel drive drag cars are funny.

#1058 4 months ago

Only auction pinball auction I watched, and live. It was nuts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanStl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=RyanStl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.