(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Obed_Marsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#325 2 years ago

Holy shit..

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/120213

34k for a single machine... the machine might buckle under that much "cash on glass"

2 weeks later
    #339 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I don't understand the hate on this site for flippers of new games. MM Royal at 14-15k no problems, Godzilla LE at 15k bring on the hate. What game is newer and the latest and maybe greatest?

Ya, there seems to be some secret logic of what is appropriate to sell at insane markup prices and what isn't. I'm not sure if its based on individual games or not.

Some of it is just playful trolling and roasting for certain ads, but it always struck me more often or not more of the venom gets reserved for new members that have no post history and just jumped on to list an absurdly priced game, which I can understand.

The big time collectors with dozens of games seem to tend to get a pass on their own massive pricing and get lots of comments like "Beautiful game, GLWTS, so and so has very high quality games, wish I was closer" and the like whether their price is reasonable or gouged just as badly as flipping a Godzilla LE for instance.

Just anecdotal observation from being on the site mostly lurking for a few years. Part of it might be the new games have a clearly established msrp. Where the classic games can have very variable and subjective value.

#343 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Would trading a NIB Godzilla for a MM Royal be considered bad flipping?

Funny I was just thinking about that same type of scenario. I think the LE market is made up of a combo of scalpers, ultra rich people who need every LE and top tier of everything, diehard fans of a theme, and then like you mentioned those looking to use it for barter material to secure a pin that would typically be out of their price range. Or those that try to grab an LE to subsidize a premium they will keep or whatever.

I guess for me personally the true hobbyists looking to fund their passion bother me less than the pure profiteers, but same end result. Scalpers are annoying in general, but don't bug me all that much. I think it strikes me as worse for pinball with the small machine counts and getting on secret distributor lists. The worst is when distributors get in on the scalping themselves. I would never think of most LEs, but I would have gone in for a Godzilla, especially since already paying so much for a premium. Some dealers like OC Pinballs were selling for scalper prices on their own site on day 1, that really rubs me the wrong way. I've never seen that happen openly at least in another industry.

#345 2 years ago

Dunno, I get the impression they do to an extent with people talking about having an LE secured for a certain title before it is even officially announced.

#348 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So do some people who don't own any pins just simply buy new LE's and flip them? I find that odd but am relatively new around here so I would not shocked but very surprised.

I'd expect not for people with no pins. I'd guess it would be people already involved with the hobby to an extent and following the market. Seems a bit too much risk and effort for me for the payoff, like if you ebay a scalped LE and it gets damaged in transit, Ebay always favors the buyer for instance.

I'm sure some might try moves like they want a desirable out of production title, so they get an LE of the latest hot title as an enticement for a trade. To me that doesn't seem as bad as just buying an LE to scalp outright, but it's subjective

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Obed_Marsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=Obed_Marsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.