(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Honch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Not all of us... I wouldn't try to squeeze profit out of an innocent old widow. I'd offer to represent her and sell it for what it's worth and split the difference with her or offer her $3000 outright. Thats still under market value, and she gets an extra $1000, and I get a WW for $3K. Thats how you keep karma off your back.

You do realize that what you said you would do instead, is still actually "squeezing" a profit out of that poor old widow?
    At the end of the day you're not giving her market value for her pin.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

She gets $1000 more of my money than from the next guy that you know is going to buy it at $2000... I ask you how many other people would do that? Not many.

Not many, and I wouldn't fault you for doing that. But, you are profiting, which you claimed you wouldn't want to do. I don't see anything wrong with scoring some profit for yourself.

Quoted from Mattyk:

Sorry but if you selling something or trading something it’s your job to know what it’s worth. Plain and simple.
    Also, If someone wants to pay a stupidly high price for something, that does not mean they are getting ripped off. It means that they value the game more than what the normal market calls for.
    If someone really loves Fish Tales and one never shows up in their area for them to purchase, they may decide to spend an extra couple grand over “market” to entice sometime to sell it to them. They did not get ripped off. They simply bought a game at a value that made sense to them.

Agreed. Besides, It's not my job to keep other people from getting fleeced. This market is so crazy that eventually even some of those overpriced pins will look like a bargain.

#224 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, if I'm ripping off a little old lady, I'm just go whole hog and do it the right way.
    What's the point in leaving some of my profits on the table just to make myself feel a little better?
    Besides, it's super easy to rationalize this shit. When I was taking a HUO Spider Man out of a lady's house for $2,500 because her kids were gone and she wanted the room in her basement back I didn't hesitate. She was more than happy to get the cash, and I was doing her a favor by not doing the ole nitpick routine and trying to talk her down on site, and by providing a quick, easy, and professional game extraction that was fast and clean, didn't damage her house etc.
    The last thing I was thinking was to talk her into accepting another $500 so I could sleep 8 percent better at night. What's the point?
    As long as all parties are happy with the deal I really don't see a problem.

No doubt about. If I can score a sweet deal/steal for myself and the other party is good with it, then I'm going for it. Fuck it! I already don't sleep very well at night.

Btw "you do you" makes my ears bleed, but it doesn't get any worse than people saying they're "woke" or that they don't feel like adulting today.

7 months later
    #406 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

It’s interesting to read how back then the price for TAF had “increased significantly” to an average of $4500-$5000.

I remember back when TAF hit 2K on average and I was thinking that prices were getting ridiculous.

5 months later
    #517 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

So my question is, will the value of 90's era DMD machines start to go down as more and more of the newer machines replace them in the top 100 spots?

Stern/JJP have made some good/great games over the last 20 years, but I believe the B/W pins of the 90's are the gold standard of pinball. Those games are the total package. Well designed, Great themes, with terrific art/dots and excellent audio/call out packages. Plus (IMHO) they had enough depth in their rules to make a lot of those pins hold up well as an only pin in the game room. They probably will always be the most beloved pins by the demographic that buys pins the most, which I'd say would primarily be anyone from ages 45 to 60. Even Data East cranked out a few excellent titles during that golden era of the 90's, such as TFTC and GnR. I still regret selling my TFTC.
    The last 20 odd years have been great for pinball, but the run of great pins made in the 90's will never be duplicated.

#521 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I have to disagree here. The best pins were those before we got DMDs, licensed themes, toys and clutter. I focus on 80-82. Fathom, Flash Gordon, Medusa, Frontier, Centaur, EBD, Xenon - from Stern: Seawitch, Nineball, Stargazer, Iron Maiden, from Williams: Black Knight, Solar Fire, Pharaoh, Jungle Lord, Firepower, etc., from Gottlieb: Black Hole, Haunted House, Spirit. Original Unlicensed themes and great play.
    I know there's plenty in the range you mentioned too, but I just think we shouldn't discount the greats.

No doubt about it. I grew up playing a lot of those games you listed. As a young child I was introduced to pinball in 1979, when Gorgar first came out. From there I discovered pins like Haunted house, Black hole and Devil's Dare. After that I was hooked on Pinball for life and video games were always second best to me. I love those classics and still do. Some of my favorite titles are from the pre DMD era, but I still think nothing beats the B/W era of the 90's (IMHO).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Honch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=Honch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.