(Topic ID: 290984)

Let’s Talk Pinball Pricing!

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taurus (resized).jpg
    GUEST_84a4b12b-1ada-4943-a148-5117a2f15c41 (resized).jpeg
    price (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20230921_142723 (resized).jpg
    darts-bulls-eye.gif
    tumblr_a3fac71f429711dbe2e997f112292e70_810c3e78_640.gif
    96679e31-8c06-4b58-9bcb-c4d399790185_text (resized).png
    Matrix2222222.png
    5x5-Risk-Matrix-Sample-1024x585 (resized).png
    68EFAD3A-ACB0-406A-ABB2-A237658AA4B8 (resized).jpeg
    F120BF18-8A54-4A54-B573-169D4E75788A (resized).jpeg
    32C0A536-64F2-4D99-8862-6872C3134BF4 (resized).jpeg
    C7DDC11C-743F-4AE0-A4AC-BBAA50F16AF4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#476 1 year ago

I've been a "car guy" for about as long as I can remember (maybe longer than I've been an official "pinball guy", but that just wasn't a thing when I started playing in the 80's because pinball was so ubiquitous then, so everybody was too), starting as a 7 year old trying to learn everything I could about them, reading about them, talking to car guys about them, lusting after my favorites.

I started out with heaps that I could afford, and worked on them and fixed them up, and sold them for a meager profit to move up. And I learned along the way, especially about what I liked. I've had more cars over the years than I can even remember (I'm under 40), and finally got my first "keeper" (A 1994 1LE Z-28) when I was 19 or 20. I built a motor for it (practically in my college dorm room, haha), and upgraded the brakes and suspension as time went by. I bought and sold other cars, a mix of hot rods and daily drivers, and everything in between, but held onto that Camaro, even as I moved around the country, and no matter how much it cost to store/insure/register in various states. When I eventually settled down back in my hometown and had a good job and a house with storage, I bought another vehicle that I had lusted after for years (not a Grand National, haha, but I'll have one again). For pinball people, replace the car part with pinball machine, and it's a pretty similar story for most people.

I think the "cargument" thing, at least with "collector" or special cars (not your run-of-the-mill appliance Toyota Camry), which I'm sure has been said here many times before, is that they are both mechanical objects, with moving parts, that you have to be a little savvy to understand and work on yourself. Both have nostalgia appeal, and are purely luxury items that make their owners feel good, and have little, actual, utilitarian purpose. Sure, you can take your collector car to work every day, but very few people do that. I'm very fortunate that I have the luxury of going out to the garage, and just being able to stare at two machines that I have sitting there, that I have lusted after for years, and they are mine. And I drive them too. Fellow car folks know exactly what I'm talking about. No different than guitar guys, gun guys, airplane guys, watch guys, etc., etc.

So for us "car guys" and "pinball guys", there's a lot of overlap, especially in the type of people that enjoy the aspects of both.

Now I have a sudden urge to go for a country rip in one of the steeds, haha.

#480 1 year ago

Patek Philippe = Bugatti Veyron = Stern Supreme = Gulstream G550 = House on the French Riviera?

Rolex Pepsi GM2 = Porsche 911 Carrera = JJPOTC = Beech Bonanza = House in the Hamptons?

Casio = Chevy Spark = Sharky's Shootout = Cessna 150 = House in Detroit?

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread?tu=Grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.