Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by DanQverymuch
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

popcorn (resized).jpg

#1 39 days ago

This has been discussed, so let’s just do this. To avoid separate threads about prices in this hobby and the fireworks that often ensue in each one, this is a dedicated Pinside thread for pricing. I hope this will be active enough to allow people who have just begun thinking about market trends in this hobby to see that it has really been a long-standing subject of discussion. Hopefully, it will also provide a sort of one-stop timeline to look back on how the pricing discussion has changed over time starting at this point. Also, I hope it will provide a way to maintain one “Crazy” pinsider’s sanity. I ask that we keep this civil and realize that there are different opinions on the subject.

Let the pricing discussion commence (actually continue)!

#2 39 days ago

There are 2 ways of looking at this. NIB from the manufacturers and after-market second-hand sales. There's a lot of consternation about NIB pricing but Pinsider to Pinsider sales are through the roof as well. Re: JPPOTC second hand pricing and Stern toppers. Not really fair to rip the manufacturers on this and yet gouge the second-hand buyers. That said, things are definitely frothy all-around.

#3 39 days ago

One thing can't be denied - we all love talking about pinball pricing.

Wouldn't it be nice if, like the NFL Raiders, this forever wandering topic could find a forever home?

Let this be it!

#4 39 days ago

March 30 2021. At this time (imo) prices on used SS machines are ridiculous, to the point of scaring off long-time Buyers and inhibiting new Collectors from purchases.
    Have heard several people say "I'm out until sanity returns".
    There will always be the well-heeled who buy NIB no questions asked.
    Quality concerns are cutting in to the not so rich Collector purchases, along with rapidly rising prices.
    There is a Younger Buyer showing up who will pay inflated prices on used machines, many attribute this to "Lack of education in the Pinball Market"

#5 39 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

March 30 2021. At this time (imo) prices on used SS machines are ridiculous, to the point of scaring off long-time Buyers and inhibiting new Collectors from purchases.
    Quality concerns are cutting in to the not so rich Collector purchases, along with rapidly rising prices.
    There is a Younger Buyer showing up who will pay inflated prices on used machines, many attribute this to "Lack of education in the Pinball Market"

There's till decent-priced old projects to be had.

All the new people flooding the hobby don't want broken pinball machines.

If ever a thread deserved a sticky it's this one.

#6 39 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

But how many of us have wondered if we overpaid for a used pin, only to sell it for more years later? Today’s inflated price seems to eventually become a bargain.

#7 39 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There's till decent-priced old projects to be had.
    All the new people flooding the hobby don't want broken pinball machines.

That is a pricing advantage the veterans (we who tend to complain about today’s prices compared to “the good old days”) still have over newbies.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If ever a thread deserved a sticky it's this one.

I don’t know who makes that determination, the mods or Robin, but I’m all for it.

#8 39 days ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

That is a pricing advantage the veterans (we who tend to complain about today’s prices compared to “the good old days”) still have over newbies.

There are certainly still some good deals out there that can be found by practically anyone that can use a computer or phone. I think there are plenty of us who understand where prices are at and the "good ol days" mean a different thing to different people. Today, someone somewhere is picking up a sweet deal and it sure as hell is a good day.

I still come across great games at decent prices. Win some, lose some. This is my hobby, not my career, so I have nothing to complain about, other than maybe not liking how a game plays or something.

Also, finding deal can take time, effort, patience, and eventually a certain amount of money. While the average consumer wants the latest and greatest and they want it NOW, or really really soon...with a tracking number.

It's up to the new folks how far they want to get into this hobby. Sure it isnt always pretty. I just dont see it as an "advantage" when it is something that everyone is free to work at if they want to explore this hobby outside of distributed games with warranties.

#9 39 days ago

Thanks for starting this thread, I wonder if there is a time of year when the prices of pins falls a bit, thinking summer may be the best buying time and winter may be the best selling time. Thought and experience you have had?

#10 39 days ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Thanks for starting this thread, I wonder if there is a time of year when the prices of pins falls a bit, thinking summer may be the best buying time and winter may be the best selling time. Thought and experience you have had?

Edit: I misread this. It really boils down to what you want and how much you want to pay for it.

I've noticed games get listed when the newest title is announced but there are always deals somewhere year round.

#11 39 days ago

Since there are different categories (for lack of a better word) of collectors there are always different paradigms on this subject. This subject is also directly related to the value of a machine and a collection. My situation is I have a few machines that have been with me for a long time. I paid a fraction of what those are worth today. While I am glad that I could get three times what I paid for them if I were to sell, I know that If I dont keep the money I get for them in pinball, I would not be able to afford to replace them. Are Pinball machine an investment? Absolutely. Have I made money on pinball sales? Yep, Everytime. This is a good thing. Am I concerned about being priced out of the pinball hobby in future? Truthfully, yes, but not so much if I hold onto my collection.

#12 39 days ago

Too high
    Bubble burst
    Free pins???

#13 39 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:March 30 2021. At this time (imo) prices on used SS machines are ridiculous, to the point of scaring off long-time Buyers and inhibiting new Collectors from purchases.

I hear you on this phil-lee.

Although I can understand selling into the strength of a hot market, I see plenty of overpriced, poorly rated, worn out pins being shoved onto the market lately along with the ever increasing 'pins wanted' ads. Bargains seem ever more rarely sandwiched between these two.

[I am also in agreement about what seems to be the only undervalued sector out there...gold.]

#14 39 days ago

What I think is crazy is most of the new people joining this hobby are looking for "shinny new" as opposed to "players" machines and seem ready to pay for the privilege, wether the machine is a brand new title or a title from the past haydays of the big three. There is a lot of history these people do not know about, and all they know is if you pay enough, you can get what you want, which is no different than any other hobby. That they have the finacial resources to back those desires up is what is really skyrocketing prices, wether NIB or restored Route Queens. I never thought I would ever own a MB due to rarity, but here I am $8300 bucks later, and I have a brand new LE remake in my collection. I would have never bought an original MB for that price, but NIB, that was harder to pass up. But let me tell you, that was the limit of my spending on a new machine, these prices of LE's and CE's and top of the line machines going into the collectors market topping $12k plus is not a market I am interested in, even Premium Sterns are going into stupidity ranges and so I think unless there is some turning of prices due to <name an impending disaster here>, I am not buying any more NIB machines. Even used decent machines are overpriced due to the halo affect. Seems everyone with a machine in good shape is out to score some of this price-escalated, buy-a-thon cash orgy that these newbies are throwing in pinball's direction. Just my $0.02 on prices right now.

#15 39 days ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

But let me tell you, that was the limit of my spending on a new machine

I’ve prided myself in not spending more than a certain amount on EMs, but now I generally stay within that limit by buying projects. With the projects lining up, I’ve realized that my price limit is outdated for many nice working EMs if I want to add a pin immediately to the lineup.

#16 34 days ago

When will the JJP POTC super price increase acceleration end (or at least slow down)?

1 week later
    #17 23 days ago

Bump

#18 22 days ago

popcorn (resized).jpg

#19 22 days ago

For the guys not happy with the current pinflation what percent would you like to see prices fall?

#20 22 days ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

For the guys not happy with the current pinflation what percent would you like to see prices fall?

I don’t think I have any percentage decrease in mind, I’m just not sure how to price a pin to sell or how high a price is reasonable to pay right now. It seems that some sellers are trying to find out what the new limit is.

#21 21 days ago

I’m just not sure how to price a pin to sell or how high a price is reasonable to pay right now.

Along that line, I really like having the Mr. Pinball guide as a price reference, but the most recent, 2018, is about two and a half years old now. Is that publication done, and, if so, is there anything close to as good a reference?

#22 20 days ago

I’m just not sure how to price a pin to sell or how high a price is reasonable to pay right now. It seems that some sellers are trying to find out what the new limit is.

When I saw this Joker Poker EM originally listed for $7,500 firm, I thought maybe pricing in today’s market has gone up even higher, but then I looked at the responses in the thread for the ad, I see that even today there is still a limit:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-joker-poker-em-5

#23 19 days ago

I’ve been in this hobby for five years, I don’t have decades of experience on this, so I’ll ask what others think. Has there ever been a time of such volatile prices for pins due to what seems to be an almost instant pricing increase across-the-board?

The first post in a currently hot for sale thread includes the following familiar thought:

“The price is OBO since I really do not know where to price this game at.”

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-funhouse-94

#24 19 days ago

Has there ever been a time of such volatile prices for pins due to what seems to be an almost instant pricing increase across-the-board?

The closest thing I can think of was an incredibly high demand for parts in the late 90's early 2000's due to closure of BLY. Game specific parts were going for top dollar and it was sometimes more cost effective to part games out.

But not for games themselves, not like this.

2 weeks later
    #25 1 day ago

No posts in 17 days?

Good thing all the pricing talk got consolidated here!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside