Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 447 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by wolverinetuner
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mad22 (resized).png
    A_Look_Back_at_Tucker_The_Man_and_his_Dream_hero (resized).jpg
    6B40497C-D102-418E-B448-3BCB4CF599E5 (resized).png
    B962D972-E775-4BA7-9236-E3A64C5817B2 (resized).jpeg
    6183C710-0B1C-4BCA-9977-E316AEC5CAB0.gif
    77D7ACF9-EE74-495C-A2D0-5539AC25A04D (resized).jpeg
    231EB5AE-6485-43E2-9E24-866C042D6699 (resized).jpeg
    20210702_135422 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0335 (resized).jpg
    Dude atm.jpg
    5c8poc (resized).jpg
    popcorn (resized).jpg

There are 447 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 7 months ago

Trading strategy seems to be working well. Highly recommend if able!

#352 7 months ago

Anecdotal, but there are 100% more people entering the hobby. Out of the 35ish pins I've bought/sold/traded, I have now sold to a first time pinball buyer 6 times. I have purchased someone's last pin twice now. 1 time it was due to a divorce, and this weekend I'm picking up a pin from someone who is leaving the hobby. One thing informal surveys like this don't capture are the percentage of pins going to first time buyers.

Distributors stalking this thread. Any idea what percentage of your sales go to first time pin buyers?

1 week later
    #353 7 months ago

For posterity, as of October 2021, MSRP for Stern’s latest pin, Godzilla, is as follows:

Pro $6,899
    Premium $8,999
    Limited Edition (which is sold out) $10,499

#354 7 months ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

For posterity, as of October 2021, MSRP for Stern’s latest pin, Godzilla, is as follows:
    Pro $6,899
    Premium $8,999
    Limited Edition (which is sold out) $10,499

Also for the record, these price increases were deemed to be outrageous, and the bubble suddenly burst, with people refusing to pay them and taking a stand for all that is good and right!!!

(Psyche!!!! They still sold like hot cakes!!)

#355 7 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Also for the record, these price increases were deemed to be outrageous, and the bubble suddenly burst, with people refusing to pay them and taking a stand for all that is good and right!!!
    (Psyche!!!! They still sold like hot cakes!!)

a lot of people cannot justify these new prices so it does eliminate us poor folks
    i can afford one new game and no more. not bitching but thems the facts.

nib prices going up puts a second newish game definitely out of reach when before
    it still seemed maybe possible if i worked overtime and hustled some extra jobs or i sold some
    of my older games but dam i dont want to sell them because it doesnt seem like i would feel good about
    selling 3 classic ss for a new pin. not something i want to do personally.

just how it is.

#356 7 months ago

I have a hard time believing location pinball can survive with these price hikes. Pins can't make that much... can they?

I've thought we'd seen the height of the market multiple times over the last few years. Was flat-out wrong. Now, I think the ceiling on pricing is quite a ways off. I won't be shocked, at all, to see Stern Premiums hit above $10K by late 2022... and limited editions? It's very possible that limited run versions of games could hit $14-$15K msrp.

Costs are skyrocketing. Demand appears to be skyrocketing. I think we're nowhere near the top.

#357 7 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I have a hard time believing location pinball can survive with these price hikes.

Are they going to eventually have to make them with $5 bill acceptors?

#358 7 months ago

They won't come with bill acceptors because ops use different brands.

They've had a harness for them since about 1992 along with cutouts on the coin door for them.

LTG : )

#359 7 months ago
    Quoted from lowbeau67:

a lot of people cannot justify these new prices so it does eliminate us poor folks
    i can afford one new game and no more.

Make that game Jurassic Park by Stern then. You won't regret it!

#360 7 months ago

Why they haven't incorporated Apple Pay or something similar is beyond me. Seems like a no-brainer

#361 7 months ago

or a credit/debit card swipe for payment.DOH

#362 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

or a credit/debit card swipe for payment.DOH

From the factory ? Collectors may not want to pay for it. Ops not using it won't want to pay for it.

#363 7 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

From the factory ? Collectors may not want to pay for it. Ops not using it won't want to pay for it.

I wouldnt need it or use it either but if quarters get scarce i suppose you could just use more one dollar bills or get change from the operators desk.

1 month later
    #364 6 months ago

Has pinball pricing leveled off so we can say it’s no longer surging, albeit now at a “new normal?”

#365 6 months ago

Has pinball pricing leveled off

with the way things are going, the cost of feeding your family and keeping gas in your car will cost so much that buying a pinball machine will not even be on anyone's radar

#366 6 months ago

Has pinball pricing leveled off so we can say it’s no longer surging, albeit now at a “new normal?”

Stern and JJP just raised NIB prices. I would imagine this translates to further increases in used prices. If the ceiling keeps going up the average used price will always follow

#367 6 months ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

Stern and JJP just raised NIB prices. I would imagine this translates to further increases in used prices. If the ceiling keeps going up the average used price will always follow

People have been buying new pins (and new pin spots) and flipping them for more. Has that settled down?

#368 6 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

with the way things are going, the cost of feeding your family and keeping gas in your car will cost so much that buying a pinball machine will not even be on anyone's radar

That’s not true at all. Gas+food less than $1-2k month. It’s such a small fraction of what most people make it’s not even funny. A typical driver will spend $150-300 a month on gas at $4/ gallon. It’s so being blown out of proportion it’s not even funny.

#369 6 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

That’s not true at all. Gas+food less than $1-2k month. It’s such a small fraction of what most people make it’s not even funny. A typical driver will spend $150-300 a month on gas at $4/ gallon. It’s so being blown out of proportion it’s not even funny.

Yes, gas prices have not gone up at all have they?

#370 6 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

While I agree with your overall sentiment, you are way off on the reality of what 'most people make' and what percentage any of the prices are related to that income. Even within the pinball realm, the income disparity between individuals around here is pretty large. You are also showing that you are really only considering your own local bubble.

#371 5 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

While I agree with your overall sentiment, you are way off on the reality of what 'most people make' and what percentage any of the prices are related to that income. Even within the pinball realm, the income disparity between individuals around here is pretty large. You are also showing that you are really only considering your own local bubble.

The pinball community is a small bubble. Sure some guys on the lower end of the salary scale will drop out, but for every one of them, there are two wealthy newbs joining that want to buy the last six Sterns in their first month.

The depression is all you need for evidence. There were still tons of rich people living happily and buying shit they didn't need. There is so much wealth right now and the pinball community is ramping up. Is it inflated, cheap money? Hell ya. Will it burst? Some day. Still waiting on that one.

#372 5 months ago

Flavor of the current time (11/23/21), a thread discussing distributors selling NIB pins above MSRP:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/distributors-selling-all-pins-over-msrp

2 weeks later
    #373 5 months ago

1990s pins now have price tags that I never would have thought possible not long ago, and they’re selling. EMs have increased in price, but I don’t think by close to the percentage of other pins. Just a few years ago another pinhead told me in general, I assume for pins in decent shape, he expected to pay something like $500-$1,000 for an EM and $1,500-$3,000 for a SS. (At the time NIB pins were around $5,000 to $10,000, depending on which version.) All that is clearly out the window now. What does everyone realistically expect to pay now for pins?

#374 5 months ago

1990s pins now have price tags that I never would have thought possible not long ago, and they’re selling. EMs have increased in price, but I don’t think by close to the percentage of other pins. Just a few years ago another pinhead told me in general, I assume for pins in decent shape, he expected to pay something like $500-$1,000 for an EM and $1,500-$3,000 for a SS. (At the time NIB pins were around $5,000 to $10,000, depending on which version.) All that is clearly out the window now. What does everyone realistically expect to pay now for pins?

All prices are nice, working, “shopped”, average titles nothing super crazy sought after

Em - $800-2000
    SS - $1200-3000
    DMD - $3000-12000
    LCD - $5000-12000

Good luck boyos !

#375 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All prices are nice, working, “shopped”, average titles nothing super crazy sought after
    Em - $800-2000
    SS - $1200-3000
    DMD - $3000-12000
    LCD - $5000-12000
    Good luck boyos !

Is this pretty much what everyone is seeing at this point? And is this what you’re willing to pay?

#376 5 months ago

Most pinsiders seem to hate price/bubble threads, but I love them. It provides therapy for seeing this hobby go from entertainment to investment vehicle.

I know it's the fault of "markets", and people are paying these stupid prices, but all I want to know is where do they work to have that much disposable income? Is everybody a lawyer, doctor, dentist or CEO now?

I'm a lowly electrical engineer and dont have the stomach to drop that much cash for games anymore. I am lucky to have collected several pins (most acquired before the price lunacy). I used to add one every year on average when prices were under $5k. My taste unfortunately is Bally Williams A-list. The last one was MBrLE.

I'm done now, I can't justify it anymore. Yea I could sell a bunch and downsize to a couple uberpriced titles. But I wanted a couple dozen mostly 90s pins (and a handful of select Sterns). At these prices, that would exceed the purchase price of the house. That just should not be.

I doubt it would happen, but a burst of this bubble would make me very happy indeed.

#377 5 months ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

I doubt it would happen, but a burst of this bubble would make me very happy indeed.

I don’t see a “bubble burst” happening, but I have to think that prices should at least level off or even eventually decline from the huge prices recently. That is, of course, unless another Supreme pin is released.

A few years ago we were wondering how to get more people into the pinball hobby/market. I think that has happened and has helped the price surge. I wonder if that’s temporary, whether the new folks still be into it when the inevitable repair/maintenance is needed on their pins.

1 month later
    #378 4 months ago

Man, I bought a game since the last comment on this thread.

Anyone else feel like the big dollar games have started rising faster than the midrange games? Or is it just me?

When prices started going up I sold a few lower end games to aquire a couple LCD pins. Now I'm not sure I could have managed that based on how many modern Stern's are selling above MSRP.

#379 4 months ago
    Quoted from digdug2084:

Man, I bought a game since the last comment on this thread.
    Anyone else feel like the big dollar games have started rising faster than the midrange games? Or is it just me?
    When prices started going up I sold a few lower end games to aquire a couple LCD pins. Now I'm not sure I could have managed that based on how many modern Stern's are selling above MSRP.

With some DMD pins apparently selling for more than NIB pin prices, it seems totally understandable to me, even predictable, that modern Sterns are going for above MSRP. Anyone else noticing what digdug2084 is seeing?

1 week later
    #380 3 months ago

A lot of the pricing discussion lately has been about pins from the 1990s to the present, but has anyone also noticed the EM price jump? Five years ago, only select titles would go for more than $2,000 (e.g., Fireball, Nags, Canada Dry), but most would never go for that, no matter how nice the condition. Now $2,000 and up is appearing as the price for a lot more EMs, and I’m assuming folks are buying at those prices.

I guess the days of plentiful nicely-working EMs for around $500 are over, but have EMs reached a “new normal,” or will prices come down any or keep steadily increasing? I’m sure the more modern pin market has had an influence on EM pricing, but I used to think there was an EM bubble that was insulated from other price hikes. Maybe that “bubble” has “burst.”

#381 3 months ago

Nope.I hope it never pops .NIB prices will never go backwards .That being said ,we should all want used pins to keep inflating as if it did pop ,then most of us would not be buying the new ones .If this happens ,doors that we all need open will start to close .It’s a chain reaction nobody wants to see so keep throwing that cash on that glass

#382 3 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Nope.I hope it never pops .NIB prices will never go backwards .That being said ,we should all want used pins to keep inflating as if it did pop ,then most of us would not be buying the new ones .If this happens ,doors that we all need open will start to close .It’s a chain reaction nobody wants to see so keep throwing that cash on that glass

I, for one, don’t want to see prices keep going up at the present rate on EMs. When some pinheads have said the huge price increases have priced them out of the hobby, one response was that you could still buy EMs. But if EMs get too expensive for people, then people will actually be priced out of the ownership aspect of this hobby.

#383 3 months ago

I’ll agree prices are getting to high for people that collect or can’t bear to sell any .I’m in a position now where if I want a game I need to sell and it’s all been evening out nicely .I have no idea how some people take care of that many machines lmao .The only time I see myself actually collecting is after I retire from my day job

#384 3 months ago

I, for one, don’t want to see prices keep going up at the present rate on EMs. When some pinheads have said the huge price increases have priced them out of the hobby, one response was that you could still buy EMs. But if EMs get too expensive for people, then people will actually be priced out of the ownership aspect of this hobby.

You have 18 games. Sell one at the market price and buy a new one

#385 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

You have 18 games. Sell one at the market price and buy a new one

I’m not concerned about me, but about others who are thinking about entering the hobby as a collector or expanding their collections. Over the years I’ve sold as many as I have now, so I know how that works for the existing collector. My comment was in response to the statement that “we should all want used pins to keep inflating.” I think there’s a bigger-picture downside to continued large EM price increases.

#386 3 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I have no idea how some people take care of that many machines

It does take a bit of work. It probably wouldn’t be worthwhile if pins weren’t so much fun!

#387 3 months ago

EM prices are for sure going up. I think if everything moves proportionally most people won't notice an increase. 10% of 5k is more noticeable than 10% of 500. That said, I'm now surprised whenever I see a project EM come up under 300. Used to be 250 was my limit for a nice project.

I'm somewhat insulated by that because I'm a hoarder and I have years of projects in my shed.

One of my friends pointed out a few days ago that deal flow appears to be drying up right now. Might be seasonal. Lots of the local stuff has been sitting. A good chunk of the prices still look ridiculous, but there are a couple I'd actually think about buying. A bit of a surprise after how last year ended.

#388 3 months ago

Prices won't be going down, ever. Nobody is going to flood the market with cheap pinball machines to bring the price down. Nobody is going to stop buying existing machines and those numbers are fixed. There are more people in this hobby than machines, with new ones coming in everyday. Adjust your budget and enjoy

1 week later
    #389 3 months ago

Nice day at the office .

6B40497C-D102-418E-B448-3BCB4CF599E5 (resized).png
    #390 3 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Nice day at the office .
    [quoted image]

Well, you are getting 3 games at 24K per game. LOL
    Does that make things better?

#391 3 months ago

I was just offered a trade of weed for a game. Can't say that that has happened before.

#392 3 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Nice day at the office .
    [quoted image]

I didn’t pay a whole bunch more than that for my house eight years ago! (But I must admit, I didn’t get any numbers matching program privileges.)

#393 3 months ago

If had to choose one new Stern to own, what would you pick?

RUSH GZ DP JP AIQ?

#394 3 months ago

I'm going to chime in here and say... that while I'm disgusted by all the profiteering going on with people selling old games at new pricing levels... I'm not surprised.
    I've been tempted to call these people out in their for sale threads... but just don't want to bump their stupidly priced games to would be sellers.

I get it... some games should be north of 12k...
    but it's clear to me these "hobbyists" are just taking advantage of the price of current games to justify a game they spent 4k on 8months ago.

#395 3 months ago

A lot of the pricing discussion lately has been about pins from the 1990s to the present, but has anyone also noticed the EM price jump?

I bought my last EM for $300, that was 9 years ago. I am shocked at today's prices. Would love to add another one, but the one I want is $3000 and needs some work (!)

#397 3 months ago
    Quoted from Av8:

If had to choose one new Stern to own, what would you pick?
    RUSH GZ DP JP AIQ?

JP for me, but in the end I have decided to only keep DMD and older games in my home lineup, as the local arcades have the newer sterns and I go weekly. DP is very close second, but can see everything almost every time i play it.

#398 3 months ago

I can't fault people getting what they can when they sell part of their collection (but speculators* buying multiple pre-orders and listing them for 125%+ the moment the machines arrive? - they can lose their asses). And I can sympathize with people on the outside looking in wrt to starting their home collection who get frustrated seeing stern pros from the last couple years going for 150% of retail. I'd have to take out a home equity loan to buy myself the Total Nuclear Annihilation or Dialed In I'd like to have at home, but I'm not willing to take that plunge on faith that prices will keep skyrocketing. I'm a teacher and a single dad, it's not worth the risk for the sake of a sick game room lol!

The strategy I'm undertaking and hoping will work out, is project-hopping my way up to the machines I eventually want to have. I've started by picking up a Rack-A-Ball that needs a lot of love for $150. Hopefully in a few months, after a loving restoration, I can sell it for the amount I'd need to buy a project High Speed or something similar. Then sell that for the next project that's a step closer to the prices of the machines I want. If it works, I'll sweat equity my way to the game I want, plus whatever investment is needed for project parts. If it doesn't, I'll still have the pin/s I restored to enjoy with my kids, not to mention everything I'm learning along the way. We already put a few hours on the old EM together before I started working on it - just had to reset the 10's reel by hand to start each new game haha! My kids even invited a couple of their friends! I think I already got my $150 out of that machine

*whoops, misspelled scalpers

#399 3 months ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

Most pinsiders seem to hate price/bubble threads, but I love them. It provides therapy for seeing this hobby go from entertainment to investment vehicle.
    I know it's the fault of "markets", and people are paying these stupid prices, but all I want to know is where do they work to have that much disposable income? Is everybody a lawyer, doctor, dentist or CEO now?
    I'm a lowly electrical engineer and dont have the stomach to drop that much cash for games anymore. I am lucky to have collected several pins (most acquired before the price lunacy). I used to add one every year on average when prices were under $5k. My taste unfortunately is Bally Williams A-list. The last one was MBrLE.
    I'm done now, I can't justify it anymore. Yea I could sell a bunch and downsize to a couple uberpriced titles. But I wanted a couple dozen mostly 90s pins (and a handful of select Sterns). At these prices, that would exceed the purchase price of the house. That just should not be.

I’m just a lowly construction worker.

Where do you live where you can buy a house for the cost of 12 pins?

#400 3 months ago

It’s interesting to read how back then the price for TAF had “increased significantly” to an average of $4500-$5000.

There are 447 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!