Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,823 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    final round 78 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 11.20.10 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 6.22.39 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2227 All RSS feeds for TPN Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Post #2238 How to add RSS feeds Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#147 4 years ago

I have to say with the few very vocal cranks/haters/*ssholes in the group if I was a podcaster or streamer I'd be tempted to just say "F it!", take my pinball, and go home!

However, I'm sure they realize that the large majority of the population is appreciative of their hard work to provide these entertainments, as judged from their download numbers, etc.

As a fan of many of these pinball personalities I'm looking forward to their new podcasts and relieved that we aren't losing them altogether.

Question, will the individual regular podcasts be subscribable in itunes seperately, so you see updates to just those immediately without having to filter through every single podcast put out by The Network?

1 week later
    #202 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

We aren’t in a rush and since we are not establishing an employee-based corporation with stock options it will get done when it gets done. Again, we are simply trying to create free media for those interested and support those providers wanting to make their own content. We are trying to help and add to the hobby, not trying to piss people off.

Everyone has a giant chip on their shoulders these days. The sense of entitlement is through the roof. I blame the "president" for setting a terrible example...

Keep up the good work Zach, and just ignore the haters. Vocal minority with nothing constructive to add.

#217 4 years ago

thepinballnetwork.org would be perfect.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

You guys might as well just send all the available ones to Kaneda he is probably scooping them up as fast as he can.

Nah. Only an insecure tool would do something like that.

#278 4 years ago

So which podcast is going to have Greg and Dennis on it?

#288 4 years ago
    Quoted from J-Freeze:

Greg was never a regular on any podcast so I do my nt see why you would think it's an issue now.

Yeah I thought they mentioned him in the original promo that caused all the hub bub.? Anyway maybe it was all in my mind. Firmly on team Greg here.

1 week later
    #446 4 years ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

I love Zach, but he is beginning to sound like a used car salesman. I’m fine if it’s balanced out, but that first episode felt pretty heavy.
    The UV lights being sold for 279 are ridiculous and should’ve been included. This is a bad trend for pinball. These things are already expensive as hell, we don’t need to be Nickel and dimed anymore.
    Zach, come on brother. You’re normally the first to call BS on this.
    [quoted image]

I call BS on this. Zach has always been in on over-priced lighting mods, aka PinStadiums. These black lights are basically another variant of that.

I thought the 3 of them had a great exchange, at least at the first 1/2 of the podcast, with differing strong takes. It was interesting and entertaining. I wish Dennis would speak up more but I get that he tires easily...

#530 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

dennisk - I have to say, The Pinball Show really needs you on there full time. I enjoyed the last episode much more because of the much needed balance you provide. You have quickly become one of my favorite podcasters.

I agree it's a more interesting dynamic with Dennis in the mix.

It might make more sense to make the The Pinball Show an alternating week thing, always includes Dennis, is long form (60-90 minutes) that goes in-depth on recent news, has certain fun segments, etc. There's not that much to talk about for a long-run weekly IMHO and you end up with questionable time fillers like the "Dennis/x on the couch" segments and 20 mins of Zach talking like a baby about a minature Dennis, etc. that has nothing to do with pinball and many find off-putting.

...And then have the mid-week show just be a quick catchup on current events, 30mins max, focussed and to the point.

#566 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

The counter to this is that pinball gained a pretty darned good distributor. I have a great one in Wisconsin(KinPin) so I have no personal experience with Zach, but everyone that deals with him seems to have great things to say about him. Pinball is so subjective anyway, that reviews by other people have never really influenced me that much -- frankly, neutral description of code/flow/difficulty level give me a better chance of deciding the likelihood of me liking a pin than the reviewer's overall impression. It's not like SDTM was ever known for its super critical evaluations of pinball machines -- they always leaned towards the positive side (Bone's famous B+).
    Anyway, get what you are saying -- it just hasn't mattered to me much and I still appreciate all the work Zach does to help facilitate pinball content.

Honestly their reviews have always been hogwash. They are too theme oriented vs. gameplay. e.g. IJ being the top reviewed game on their list. The minute they de-rated IMDN they lost me. IMDN is a friggin' classic and hits on ALL cylinders. You just have to have grown up listing to musicians that know how to pull their friggin' pants all the way up.

Not that it matters, opinions are like *ssholes, every forum has some.

#617 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Zmeny - let's make this fun for everyone. I wouldn't be opposed to stepping in during a "no Dennis" week and help keep your shilling to a minimum which will benefit everyone. No one's going to doubt my integrity that's for sure and I've never been shy or at a loss for words!
    That's my counter offer - PM me if interested. We can talk about stern pricing, UV lights, their above and beyond investment in pinball quality amongst other things. Midwest meets NY. I'm sure it will garner some attention for TPN and it will of course be clean and civil. Cheers.

I think as a condition of entry you should have to have something positive to share about pinball. It can't just be the guy that shits on everything because "he's no shill". lol.

3 months later
    #1453 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Zach says I can't do any voices except the one I lucked into. I wish I had the talent of a mop but I do not.
    I swept my kitchen floor yesterday after listening to Puppet Palz. I imagined creating a character called "Broomy". He'd have a bristly personality and love all the oddball themes, like Godfather 3.
    But then I realized I was just copying the more talented Moppy and I went back to sweeping.

To your credit Dennis I find your ads for the Roanoke Pinball Museum at the beginning of each Eclectic Gamers Podcast episode to be highly entertaining, strange voices and all. Well done, sir!

1 week later
    #1607 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Sure...a "vacation"...that's what he's doing. I personally think Zach has fallen into a state of mourning/depression now that his arch-rival and frenemy Kaneda is off the air. It's like that episode of BTAS, when the Joker thinks he's finally killed Batman, and then falls into a depressed stupor. Because the Joker realizes that without Batman, there's no one to challenge his schemes and no one to try and outsmart or outwit. Without a rival like Batman, Joker found life to be less rewarding. He needed a Batman, a worthy opponent, to truly get excitement out of life.
    Anyway, that's what I'm imaging is happening in the Meny household.

It appears that K-man has taken up a large piece of the inside of your head. Nobody cares, he's water under the bridge.

3 weeks later
    #1649 3 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

and you guys should know by now, the more you complain about something that Mr. Meny does, the MORE he will make sure he does it.

Exactly. I really hate it when he gives away a free NIB pinball machine at the end of every show to a lucky listener!

2 months later
    #1806 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

WARNING: Adult Language - Viewer Discretion Advised
    TPN’s Zach spoke with deeproot Correspondent & VIP Media, Chris Chandler, about his experiences touring the deeproot facilities.
    HUGE credit given to Chandler on this broadcast. Zach didn’t take it easy on him and asked the questions that needed to be asked. Chandler was not fazed and proved why he’s one of the best that TPN has to offer.
    Thanks for representing The Pinball Network at the deeproot media event last week.

Is this available in podcast form?

#1808 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

All of their stuff is. Just look for Pinball Network on podcasts.

I'm subscribed. Never came up. It doesn't seem to be part of any specific podcast channel either.?

3 weeks later
    #1859 3 years ago
    Quoted from JoshuahJacobs:

Silverball Stories HorrorFest: Summer Camp
    Host: Joshuah Jacobs
    Silverball Stories is all hallows eve the entire month of October. Different original horror stories will be featured every week this month. Follow along in this week's episode if you dare....and prepare for a scare! (insert scary ghost sounds)
    https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-745pe-efa81b[quoted image]

Really impressed with the amount of effort it must have taken to produce this.

Great voice acting too!

3 weeks later
    #1919 3 years ago

On the topic of toppers, Stern has apparently decided that toppers are like LEs, or even SLEs for a hit game. They introduce artificial scarcity by only producing a small number of each that doesn't come close to satisfying the potentially addressable market.

This affords them several advantages (from their perspective):

1. They can plan for a batch of 500 or whatever the number is going to be, order all the parts, get them made and be done with it. No making a batch, evaluating actual demand, making another batch, potentially sitting on or god forbid having to clear out excess inventory at a reduced margin, etc.
    2. They can skim the cream from the top of the topper market with pricing that is obviously ridiculous in terms of the BOM.

By making the toppers rare and expensive they maximize their profit/effort ratio. But by only addressing the high end of the market, you have to question whether what they are doing is actually good for their overall market and pinball in general. I can't imagine that intentionally disenfranchising the majority of their customers for a particular game with each "limited" topper release is buying them much goodwill in their customer base. And the raw greed of it is unsightly at best. So you end up with a majority of their customers that just tune out toppers that otherwise might bought some because of the hassle and pricing, or develop strong negative feelings towards them and those who promote them (*ahem* Zach).

You may argue that nobody needs to buy a topper, but the exact same thing can be said for anything in pinball, including the pinball machine.

My opinion is that Stern would be better off in the long term by making the toppers accessible to a majority of their customers (manufacture to meet demand, priced "reasonably", whatever that means in pinball). It's fine to occasionally offer something that is very exclusive so long as there are plenty of regular toppers that are not.

#1923 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 37: Did Stern Pinball Secretly Release Their Next Machine?!
    Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny
    - Segment: Next Gen Console Launch

Okay, finally got to the end of this one.

You can learn a lot about Zach by listening to his braggadocious take on the video game industry. Having no relevant recent knowledge or experience to pull from doesn't stop him from making "strong take" statements like Nintendo should sell their games on competitors systems, and the Xbox Series S is pointless, etc.

I realize that making bold inaccurate statements is in style in 2020, and frankly I wish Dennis has taken the bait and shut him down hard, but I guess his strength was dwindling by that point. And yes, Tony knows about 1000x more about video games than you do Zach. It's true.

Re: Nintendo

New York (CNN Business)Shiny new video game consoles from PlayStation and Xbox are flying off the shelves this week. But their competition, Nintendo, wants gamers to know it still has the best-selling video game console.
    In the United States, Nintendo sold more than 735,000 Switch and Switch Lite consoles in October, the company confirmed Thursday, citing numbers from NPD Group. That's up 136% compared to the same month last year, and the second highest October sales for any gaming console besides the Nintendo Wii, which sold 807,000 units in 2008.

Those numbers are just a slice of the success Nintendo has enjoyed, especially during an ongoing pandemic where many people are staying home in an abundance of caution. The Nintendo Switch has now sold more than 63 million systems worldwide and has been the best-selling game console -- beating the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One -- for 23 consecutive months.

The Switch has handily outsold the Microsoft Xbox One consoles, maybe Microsoft should stop selling hardware and just make Forza and Halo for the Switch and PS5? ...all the real gamerz will buy the PS5 anyway, it's the top spec kit.

Re: Xbox Series S

The fact is the low cost Series S + Xbox Game Pass package represents the best value per gaming $ available in new gen consoles and will appeal to the mass market that just want to play games and don't need to "flex". Think of it as the "above ground pool" of the new consoles.

Finally, the new PS 5 DualSense controllers are getting rave review for bringing truly innovative haptic feedback to console gaming.

I know all this and I'm not even a gamer - I have to spend all my free time doing playfield swaps on my NiB Sterns...

#1926 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

The specs stuff is a bit complicated. They are practically identical for all intents and purposes, but the Xbox does have, mathematically, 18% more power than the PS5 (https://www.polygon.com/reviews/21562630/ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-which-should-you-buy-comparison-better-worse-game-pass).
    Load time tests are suggesting Xbox is outperforming PS5 (https://www.denofgeek.com/games/xbox-series-x-load-times-faster-ps5-launch-games/) which is somewhat notable given early on there was some theorycrafting that Sony's SSD system would help make up the difference versus Xbox having slightly more power, but it doesn't seem to bear out (note these load times are all REALLY close together).
    I would agree the PS5 controller is more technologically advanced (innovative) than what Xbox is selling. For me, the issue I have is more fundamental... the symmetrical analog sticks. I feel they are just inferior to the asymmetrical layout Microsoft pioneered and many others now take advantage of. But that's a YMMV thing. I doubt we'll ever see a significant redesign from Sony on that.

Zach and I have discussed this several times. What he describes as "weaving gold" and I describe as... something else. He thinks people like it, I think people don't, and the reality is it will depend on the person.
    My lack of push-back was a combination of fatigue and that we're on something called The Pinball Show and so I wasn't inclined to drag out a video game dicussion (I co-host a much less popular podcast that tackles both pinball and video games for those that like that sort of thing).

I appreciate the response. I do often listen to Eclectic Gamers. I was using the segment as a standout example of Zach just talking smack on a subject right out the bottom of his ass (as he often does), and doing so with misplaced confidence. I can only assume it was meant to be entertaining, probably trying to get you to react, etc.

In any case, it was annoying as fuck. If you know you don't know about something, then act like it Zach! A little humility goes a long way these days.

Anyway, keep up the work, maybe it will get better...

#1931 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Midweek Episode 17: Welcome Back - Now Keep Waiting!
    Host: Craig Bobbie
    Craig speaks to the ongoing excitement and worry regarding pinball production and releases.
    email: [email protected]
    facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-m9rm8-f213d4
    [quoted image]

Just like to thank you Craig for taking a realistic stand on these ongoing playfield issues. Your reaction as a relatively new NIB purchaser, as well as those of Mrs. Pin on the recent Slam Tilt! episode, I think accurately reflect those of actual new-to-pinball buyers. Even as a used pinball collector (well-used 80's and 90's games) for over 20 years, I remember how gutted I was when I made my first NIB Stern purchase in 2016 only to have the CC start chipping in < 100 games. I actually was so pissed I sold it and bought a friends minty HUO 2013 model which had far superior shiny thick clear-coat.

While old-hands in the business or hobby might be more tolerant of a few "purely cosmetic" faults, the reality is that the market growth in pinball are mostly new home buyers, and they perceive (rightfully) that if they spend $9500 on a luxury toy for their home, that it should arrive in perfect condition and remain so for possibly as long as they own it, given relatively light use in a home basement.

The large manufacturers, meanwhile, have been taking advantage of selling into this new premium market at premium prices while still relying on product QA and a customer support network from the mostly by-gone commercial era. Different standards apply, they need to accept that people expect PERFECT playfields. Make it happen.

1 month later
    #1980 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Jessy Jay's Pinball Adventures Episode 13: Kaite Martin Loves Led Zeppelin
    Host: Ryan C.
    Special Guest: Kaite Martin
    - Future of WIPT
    - Led Zeppelin First Impressions
    - Where is the DongBar(TM)?
    - Modern game assets
    - Generic hero voices
    - Kaite TMNT loves
    - "Just another JJP game"
    - Stargazer stories
    - Sagittarius traits
    - Linus has a massive....
    - Kaite has a broken leg
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/kaites-recovery-fund
    email: [email protected]
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-nyrts-f527df[quoted image]

Kaite is dead right about the TWD playfield layout, one of the worst in recent memory.

But they were both wrong about R&M, though it is difficult to get setup so the shots are fast and flowing, and it is less forgiving than a Steve Ritchie layout that way, but if you can make your shots it's all flow and speed.

4 months later
    #2297 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

So Dennis does love me?!?! Unfortunately, I’m not convinced quite yet, but I do think he possesses a couple love neurons with my name on them. Ahhhhhh Den Den!!!! Smoochees from Indiana

C'mon Zach, as a medical professional you should realize by now that Dennis is only capable of loving himself.

#2307 2 years ago

Well this is going well...

For f'sake people, it's a bloody pinball podcast, awards show, and forum. It's absolutely meaningless in the larger scheme of things.

Chill out already.

The very fact that Kaneda can win a Twipy 12 times in a row is proof that:

A) The Twipy awards aren't rigged, at least not by the organizers.
    B) The pinball community has no class.

Now let's all get over ourselves and go rebuild some flippers, put up a high score, or something else productive.

#2328 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I dunno...I think Delt may have a point.
    Just finished up my hike while listening to the latest episode of The Pinball Show. As soon as I got home, I immediately ordered a Mando from Flip N Out.
    I'm pretty weak minded and I think Zach sublimally forced me to order from his company. Forget the fact that he's a honest businessman and a really nice guy. There are dozens of distributors I could have ordered from. Yet I ordered from Flip N Out.... Coincidence? I think not!
    Damn you, Zach!!!!!

Exactly, and the worst part about Zach's "subliminal" over-promotion of new games ("BUY! BUY! BUY!") are all the innocent victims it produces... ... ...

...I suppose there are some Kaneda fans out there somewhere with no ability to discern grossly self-indulgent hype/spin from reality. Maybe Flippin' Out Pinball should sponsor his podcast and tap into the potentially lucrative market of "unawares".

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.