(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Ep 50: TPF, MGC, & Travis Is Old Now?

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,826 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 hours ago by Kkoss24
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8472 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8471 (resized).jpeg
    triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2227 All RSS feeds for TPN Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Post #2238 How to add RSS feeds Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2255 2 years ago

Please never do this again

1 month later
    #2391 2 years ago

#wheresthepuppetpalz

3 weeks later
    #2434 2 years ago

I hope folks have already written to Mr. Meny to explain how ash is not going back to the cabin for a second time in evil dead 2 and why a standalone evil dead pin would be the worst option of the three movies, with the best option being a pin that covers all three (with ED1 getting the least content) so I don't have to

#2441 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I must have missed it, please do explain.

Basically, the first several minutes of Evil Dead 2 are a recap / redo of Evil Dead and then the rest is brand new stuff. Same thing happens with Army of Darkness, except this time recapping/redoing the first two movies. So in ED2, Ash is going to the cabin for the first time and only time even though we've seen him do it in a prior movie (with different details and execution). And in AoD, Ash is still going to the cabin for the first and only time, even though we've seen him do it in two previous movies.

Edit: Quick google has lots of articles about this. Here's a short one: https://screenrant.com/evil-dead-2-movie-remake-sequel/

#2443 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Much appreciate the explanation and link. On the other hand, it makes me realize even more the greatness of ED1. It’s like a rewrite but with a worse outcome. They didn’t need a whole film to have the guy cut his arm off and act wacky. Maybe I’ll never understand (shrug). AOD is next on the list

Different strokes for different folks!

When I was a kid I'd rent what looked like terrible horror movies from the store to laugh at how bad they were. Saw army of darkness box and rented it with that in mind, then watched it three times in a row that night because I thought it was the coolest fing thing.

Eventually found out it was a sequel and rented evil dead. And was like what the hell is this? Straight up low budget scary horror movie with no jokes. Not for me and decades later have only seen it a handful of times

ED2 is a hybrid of the two but much more up my alley since Ash actually has a personality, says cool shit, and isn't really scary.

So with that in mind, you'll probably dislike Army of Darkness the most. That said, one hopes you can put aside personal preference to recognize how it has so much more to work with for pinball than the first in the series. But will you? I'll look forward to listening next week to find out!

#2446 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

ED2 is by far the best and not close; every single scene is a masterpiece.
    Never gets old, only gets better, over a hundred views.
    AoD is good for the frat bros

My school didn't even have frats and I used to be able to recite the entire movie!

1 week later
    #2467 2 years ago

Cool news. No idea what comes of it but that will be part of the fun. Whatever Steve ends up doing at jjp it will almost certainly be something new and different for them.

#2468 2 years ago

Perhaps lawlor adopts the Gomez role and Ritchie takes his spot in the regular rotation?

#2470 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I’ll be eagerly awaiting news on what he’s doing for sure but likely won’t be for quite some time

Unless some super awesome show does a deep dive interview with the new team

#2472 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah true true, but I’m not sure he would announce his next title on a podcast

absolutely - I'm thinking more about the story of how he ended up there, what his role will be with the team (and how, potentially, others' roles may shift), what this means for the next phase of jjp, etc. Would be a good listen. Hell, you're an accomplished interviewer now. Reach out to your old pal Ken and book this shit before Franchi does! Ritchie + Lawlor + Jack sounds like a good group

#2476 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No but it gives Steve an excuse so....

He has done interviews via video chat so that he can read lips. Could also then type out questions in chat so he can read and respond

1 week later
    #2491 2 years ago

First TPS without screaming goats?

#2493 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

First time for everything I suppose

Yes. But please see that it never happens again

1 week later
    #2533 2 years ago

No TPS today?

1 month later
    #2674 2 years ago

No TPS today?

Quoted from PoMC:

Can't watch the NFL games due to your limited streaming package/no cable TV service? All the games are here, including the Red Zone channel.
    https://vipleague.me/american-football-schedule-streaming-links

looks like somebody needs a robin-assisted password reset

#2691 2 years ago

Boo hiss. Every Monday without aural Meny Merriment decreases the chances I'll ever go bi, bi, bi!

1 week later
    #2713 2 years ago
    Quoted from Insanity_Falls:

I would listen to Jeff Teolis read Mein Kampf.

Good news then. Have you checked Audible?

1 week later
    #2736 2 years ago

My kingdom for a new TPS!

#2738 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

None this week.

Drat.

If ever it's that Zach is hard up for a guest co-host, my dms are open!

1 month later
    #2874 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Nominating blueberryjohnson and benheck for a biweekly or monthly update and vent session regarding deeproot's legal proceedings. Blueberryjohnson obviously contributing any substantive update material with Ben providing color commentary and adult language.
    Guests: CrazyLevi, Scandell, Mr68, wcbrandes, TreyBo69, etc.
    Some title options in priority order:
    Retro Atomic Ponzi Adventureland
    True Crime Pinball Podcast
    Making a Muellerer
    Deeproot Debauchery

I'd be up for some form of this, and have also been known to employ colorful language (some call it blue).

#2878 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Silverball Chronicles with Ron and David
    Episode 20: Pinball Is Dying - Part 2: Bally/Williams
    Visit Our Silverball Swag Store
    https://silverballswag.com/collections/silverball-chronicles
    Episode Summary
    The 90s saw the biggest leap in pinball mechanics and technology that the hobby had ever seen. The Dot Matrix Display and how Bally/Williams leveraged it, made the pins from the previous decade look like a horse and buggy. The purchase of Bally by Williams created a competitive shark tank, forcing designers and engineers to continuously one-up each other.
    But as the 90’s marched on, the industry contracted. Designers exited or moved on to other areas, junior designers took their place and built some of the best machines Bally/Williams had produce, but sadly the sales numbers didn’t reflect that.
    Ron and Dave chat all about the final years of Bally/Williams including Adam Rhine’s Dot Animation, Congo’s amazing shot layout, J-Pop, Attack From Mars, Dave saying 'spider' correctly after listening while editing, George Gomez giving a poetic definition of ‘Flow’, Chicago Gaming Company Remakes, and can the magic of Bally/Williams be replicated?
    Sources can be found on the episode description at thepinball.network
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-tfjaa-116f6f6
    [quoted image]

Knock back even a thimble of kombucha for every "of course" and your liver will still fail thirty minutes in.

#2881 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

And that was after I cut like a dozen "of Courses"... You should have heard every "exactly" which didn't make it! Woah, the stories of the cutting room floor.

Please please please do a single episode supercut!

1 week later
    #2927 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I quickly learned after the show aired that “poofing” may have different meanings around the world…

Quoted from JStoltz:

Does this decrease the likelihood of a business rebranding to Poof'N'Out Pinball?
    R U POOF N OUT?

Decrease... or increase?

2 months later
    #3173 2 years ago

Hey, is this the place where I say I was underwhelmed by the most recent Head2Head Pinball Christmas special?

#3180 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 96: Return Of The Zach
    Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny
    - Return Of The Zach: Bigger, Bolder, Shillier
    - Reflecting On The Time Away & Goals For The Future
    - Catching Up: Louisville Show, TPF, & The TWIPYs
    - Media Fluff
    - New Rumored Jaws Pinball Title
    - Stern Production Schedule Updates
    - Stern Pinball's Next Cornerstone Game
    - Keith Elwin's Recent Interview Comments
    - Hoisting A Reporter Cap Into The Studio Rafters
    - Making It Rain Golden Nugs
    - Weird Al Pinball First Impressions
    - I Feel Like I'm Taking Crazy Pills!
    - American Pinball Updates
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Updates
    - Chicago Gaming Company Updates
    - Upcoming Midwest Gaming Classic
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Tennessee State Law
    email: [email protected]
    facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-ddujr-11f7b48[quoted image]

Good Golly Miss Molly. Jackpot.

#3198 2 years ago

Important note for @dennisk: I hike that mountain in Hawaii every couple months. Was on top of it in February when someone fell off (thankfully that person survived).

#3200 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Oh, I did not know if it was a popular one for folks. I have never been. Just saw some Reddit posts saying it can be rough especially when wet and depending how far you go.

Oh yeah. They're now writing stories inventorying deaths over the past ten years and calling on someone to put up a sign at the trailhead indicating how dangerous it can be (note: almost everyone who goes doesn't die or require spinal surgery. Unfortunately, a handful do).

So why would anyone anyone keep doing this hike? Because it's as breathtakingly beautiful as a siren's song. Here's a nice little photo journal of it https://www.journeyera.com/olomana-trail-three-peaks-oahu/

#3206 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Just looking at these photos made me tired...

First time's the hardest, but it's not so bad. Hit me up when you want to go.

#3247 2 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

Like OMG. That like seriously got on my like nerves.

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. Easy area of improvement to target for next time!

Here's a message I sent to someone who emailed me the same thing:

Totally agree. That was my takeaway after listening. First time hearing myself recorded for any extended amount of time, and it was being done while both of us were just looking at a mountain of new content. I was pleased listening to the next episode which wasn't like that and recorded the next day. Almost none of it. Which makes sense, because it was just relaxed reacting to stuff rather than trying to process so much new information.

Anyway, next time I do something similar my intention will be to keep an eye on that.

#3250 2 years ago
    Quoted from Newtothis:

Don’t beat yourself up too much about it. Most of the Deeproot episode was really good and I thought you did good on the Pinball Show.

Thanks. I won't. Wasn't something of which I was aware until after it was over and I heard the ep. There were some other extenuating circumstances that made it more of a challenge, too. But not big deal regardless. And now that I'm aware, not something that will happen again.

#3263 2 years ago

Thanks folks for the kind words. I really appreciate them. I also appreciate ZMeny for the invitation + opportunity to get a bunch of content out to a bigger audience than my typical stomping grounds.

Speaking of the deeproot thread, I held off posting leaks and employee accounts over the past month or so to bundle stuff for the TPN show. I'm still mostly doing that while seeing what's next with Knapp and any future podcast stuff. However, I did upload this fantastic whiteboard photo yesterday that was referenced on the show.

someoneneedstoorderpinballs (resized).jpegsomeoneneedstoorderpinballs (resized).jpeg

I'm also going to go drop a few interesting financial things on the thread now. If you're fellow or budding deeproot enthusiast, feel free to swing by: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/616

#3279 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 97: Spirit Animals
    Host: Zach Meny
    Special Guest Cohost: Blueberry Johnson
    - NEW CONTEST! WIN STUFF!
    - TPN Babies
    - Hawaii & The Continental United States
    - What's On The Line This Week At Stern Pinball
    - American Pinball's Next Game Release
    - Rumor Roundup With Dennis Tarantino
    - Steve Ritchie's Spirit Animal
    - Multimorphic Going Two Inches Deeper
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Spider-Man: Go Home
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cz4rz-1203781
    [quoted image]

Brief aside from the new drama: 1,000 internet points to the person who found the animal commercial I mentioned on this episode! I'm fairly super impressed to have nailed the line 36 years later.

^ Important platypi info, ZMeny (and video confirmation of the animal's existence)

#3286 1 year ago

Hey TPN folks, just caught your After Hours stream (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1462349898).

I'm pretty sure I can answer your #1 question without inside info (though I can get confirmation if desired): Who would have been giving the Gladiator "rising action" whiteboard presentation?

Answer: Quinn Johnson.

Quinn was hired as a storyteller to develop stories for deeproot games based on his work in comics and other media. "Rising action" is a standard plot component of storytelling (whatever the medium).

In some old interview(s), Robert explained that the stories in other manufacturers' games suck, and deeproot is going to blow everyone's mind with Pixar quality pinball storytelling (which is why they also needed an animation studio, of course).

Putting 2 and 2 together, this how you find a whiteboard outlining the narrative composition and arc for maybe game number 7 (?) at the auction inspection day for a failed pinball startup that blew tens of millions dollars.

4 weeks later
    #3347 1 year ago

Next level stuff with lots of additional potential (provided burnout can be avoided).

#3363 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Awwwww Blueberry, you’re sayin I’ve got potential?! Sniff, sniff, thank you.

Man on the street interviews, Uncle DenDen's Show and Tell, appearances from the Puppet Palz... the mind reels

2 weeks later
    #3397 1 year ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

blueberryjohnson mushroom stamped your showroom floor!?

wah?

1 month later
    #3470 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I still dont get it, please PM me what word your referring to.

Picturing this guy's inbox in a couple hours!

1 month later
    #3587 1 year ago

Anyone else suffering from Pinball Show withdrawal?

#3593 1 year ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

I’m sorry to hear that. I talked a bunch this episode so I don’t blame him for giving me a hard time. I know we enjoyed ourselves during the recording but I’m sorry that didn’t transfer over to your enjoyment. Maybe next episode will be better when we actually have some news to discuss. I appreciate the feedback.

This is also my reaction. It seems a growing trend where his go-to schtick is to act like everything you say is idiotic. I don't find it endearing, witty, or fun. That said, it's of course your show. And if you guys dig it, more power to you.

3 months later
    #3882 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show: Scooby Doo Pinball w/Bug & Spooky Luke
    Host: Zach Meny
    Special Guests: Corwin "Bug" Emery and Spooky Luke, Spooky Pinball Game Designers/Company Management
    The Spooky Pinball gang was kind enough to join TPS to thoroughly discuss everything that went into development of their newest game offering: Scooby Doo, Where Are You? Pinball.
    Special thanks again to Spooky Pinball for your time, energy, transparency, and passion for pinball. We appreciate the time and care you take for enthusiasts and consumers.
    Purchase your very own Scooby Doo pinball machine direct from Spooky Pinball at spookypinball.com or from an authorized Spooky Pinball distributor.
    Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Network (TPN), the industry leader in pinball broadcasting.
    email: [email protected]
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-66nt7-1333917
    [quoted image]

Great interview, Zach. The Spooky boys sound like they have good heads on their shoulders. Rooting for them and the company.

Some enterprising enthusiast could overlay the talk through of the playfield and features with the hi-res photos and vid clips Spooky has released. Surprised this one wasn't a TPN vidcast! (Remember those?)

1 month later
    #4026 1 year ago

Puppet Palz (and Macho Pinball) secret identity revealed. Talented guy.

#4032 1 year ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

His name is Lucas P. (Not sure of spelling of his surname. Sounded like Pepke.)

https://www.instagram.com/lucaspepke

Didn't consider that Macho would be the same guy as the Puppet Palz guy. But I always assumed Puppet Palz guy had to be a voice actor because of the quality (and he apparently is).

2 months later
    #4206 12 months ago

TPS is my favorite podcast. I look forward to a new episode every week. Well, fortnight of late (aside: is this a permanent scheduling change?).

I get more than $10 worth of enjoyment from it per month. And I have for a couple of years. So I joined patreon to show my appreciation and support. And I would have done so even if no perks were offered.

#4217 12 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

With all due respect, I'm not talking about Chris. (I refuse to call him by his "alter EGO")
    You and Dennis provide alot of entertainment in your podcast. So do the other podcasts I subscribe to who provide 2 hour shows every week that charge $5 a month.
    To be honest, I would have no issue if you put the entire show behind a paywall and charged $5 a month. I'd sign up on day one.
    Not trying to be critical. Like I mentioned earlier, I subscribe to several Patreon podcasts, most of which don't involve pinball. Some provide video feeds and bonus shows and do very well. The standard rate is $5 a month. One of many examples; https://www.patreon.com/whoarethesepodcasts

I bet there's a way you could paypal Zach $5 a month if that's the level of support you'd like to offer (which I'm sure would be appreciated).

1 week later
    #4260 11 months ago
    Quoted from kbenson13:

It is definitely irking me to miss some content. But at $10 it's personally motivating me to stop listening at all rather than cough up $120/year.

If it's your favorite show why would you stop listening to the 90 or whatever percent you can hear for free?

1 month later
    #4441 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Aussie Pinball Podcast Episode 16: Mike From Homepin
    Host: Dr. John Cosson
    Special Guest: Mike From Homepin
    Mike Kalinowski is an Aussie, now based in Taiwan, building pinball machines and replacement boards for older games. He grew up in Queensland, has training in electrical engineering, and spent his life fixing up old and new games. After a career in Cairns, he sold up and ended up building a manufacturing facility in China, releasing his first machine – the now infamous Thunderbirds Are Go! Homepin is now busily building their second game, This Is Spinal Tap Pinball, and have plans for their next secret title. Mike tells us things are well underway for its unveiling at Chicago Expo in 2024. Listen to find out Mike’s history, his opinions on pinball manufacturing, and future plans for Homepin!

Music
    Am I Ever Going to See Your Face Again – The Angels
    America – Spinal Tap
    I Like Chinese – Monty Python
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-8j2sc-1432cdb
    [quoted image]

Bonkers interview

#4459 10 months ago

Enjoyed the recap of the Homepin Mike interview. That podcast was one for the ages.

Listening to Mike, it's hard to understand his motivations. My current best guess is that he was cursed by a gypsy to have to make pinball machines, and so he rebels by intentionally making bad ones that aren't fun to play.

4 weeks later
    #4505 9 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 132: Venom Revisited & Presidential Toppers
    Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny
    - A Giant Loss To The Industry
    - Space Scrambler
    - Stern Pinball Production Updates
    - James Bond Topper SOLD OUT
    - Stern Pinball Teases Venom
    - mmm Betty
    - Flip N Out With Dwight Sullivan
    - Keith Elwin Talks Pinball Moments
    - The Definitive Top 10 Greatest Pinball Machines Of All Time
    - Centaur Revisited 
    - Centaur Debated
    - Exclusive Tease Of An Exclusive
    - Pinball Market Trends™
    - Deal Of The Week™
    - Presidential Toppers
    EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND TPS MEMBERSHIP CAN BE FOUND AT Patreon.com/thepinballshow
    Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Show (TPS), the industry's most popular podcast!
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballshow
    instagram: @thepinballshowpodcast
    tik tok: @thepinballshow
    store: flipnoutpinball.com
    membership: patreon.com/thepinballshow
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-tfkuj-145a293
    [quoted image]

Zach, you no fooling have a respectable breadth of acceptable-level funny voice impressions!

5 months later
    #4696 3 months ago

Appreciated the DennisK shout-out. Thanks, Den Den!

2 weeks later
    #4726 3 months ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Since you mentioned it in the latest episode (and FWIW) - bidets are fabulous! Besides being way more sensible and effective from a hygiene standpoint, they feel downright luxurious. Dennis has no idea what he's missing out on!
    I installed a combo TOTO toilet and "washlet" (bidet) as part of a bath remodel and am never going back to old fashioned toilet paper alone!
    Ok, back to pinball ...

Lots of in-depth bidet discussion currently going on in the TPS discord. If you're not already a member, you may want to consider signing up on patreon to get in on the action

#4739 89 days ago

I also prefer when high level tournament end up having some moderns in the streams

1 month later
    #4777 57 days ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

What new gems of info does this podcast unearth?

If only there were some way to find out

#4780 56 days ago
    Quoted from Whistles:

Have you give us the cliff notes after you listen? Doing such good work digging up stuff in the legal threads I put my faith in BBJ.

I haven't listened. But you could run the mp3 through an AI thing to transcribe and summarize it

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-?tu=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.