Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,809 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    final round 78 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 11.20.10 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 6.22.39 PM (resized).png
    triple_drain_new_logo_sz5v26 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 7.45.45 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2227 All RSS feeds for TPN Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Post #2238 How to add RSS feeds Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisK.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#368 4 years ago

I've been informed the replacement version is live now. Delete and redownloading from podcatchers should fix it. Everyone else will just get the fixed version. Thanks for reporting the issue!

#515 4 years ago

A few thoughts/responses given the wave of posts lately. Hopefully not all over the place but it is what it is:

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I still love you but I don't get this beating around the bush regarding Greg for someone that does not listen to each and every Podcast.

Obviously, Greg has chosen to post here now but the avoidance of the topic was not wanting to over-step (it was felt Greg and Jason would be the best ones to explain, if they wanted to explain, why they decided to step away from content creation). I did think we should have formally made clear they were no longer involved (and that was done on the second episode of The Pinball Show) and that it wasn't due to internal strife between the participants or anything exciting like that.

Quoted from JodyG:

Kinda sad to look back to 2019 and see relative harmony among podcasters, and then look at today...Greg, Jason, TWIP awards, etc.

I think most podcasters get along, behind the scenes at least. TPN or no TPN, there are a number of people I privately correspond with in this hobby, including podcasters. Talking about ideas I like they did, thoughts on their show, etc. Based off those conversations I get the sense that most podcasters have similar conversations with others, so it seems to be a pretty friendly bunch. Not 100% of course, but what is?

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I think the most "honest" (differenciated) person is Dennis.

I wouldn't describe it quite that way (it is my goal to be honest, but I wouldn't say I'm more honest), but different, sure, because I just see things differently.

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

So with Zach beeing a constantly positive Person, and Dennis constantly questioning everything, that -again in my opinion- is the most objective and most entertaining way of presenting whatever is going on.

I assume this was why Zach asked for me to be involved with TPN. It was the aspect Jeff with TWIP and Zach both said they liked about having me over with the TWIP Podcast. Zach and I just see certain parts of the hobby in different ways and are comfortable with expressing it to each other directly.

Sometimes I get the impression that people think Zach and I fight a lot (behind the scenes). We don't. It's quite professional and respectful.

Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I thought the last episode of the Pinball Show was amazing! It had the back and forth of Dennis and Zach with Ken as the moderator and moving things along. Great formula! I also thought Zach seemed a little more candid with his opinions, maybe that’s because he’s no longer under the TWIP name? Who knows.

I hadn't noticed but I can be dense sometimes. It felt, to me, similar in tone to the TWIP Podcast thought obviously the pacing is quite different because of Ken's presence. Maybe the candidness is driven by Ken asking more pointed questions than happened in a two-host set-up? I don't know, I'd need to think about this. Glad you enjoyed it regardless.

Quoted from PoMC:

I listened to most of the Pinball Show episode and I enjoyed the thoughts and opinions of that guy Dennis. Well done.

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode. I probably have a more jaded perspective than the other hosts (not for any pinball related reason, my personality is probably just less positive overall).

#526 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I would never! - Well with the (awesome) "The Hobbit" discussion I assumed Zach may have been a bit annoyed a bit.

Well, maybe a bit. He does really enjoy The Hobbit. But does he really enjoy Popeye? Unknown.

Quoted from pipes:

dennisk - I have to say, The Pinball Show really needs you on there full time. I enjoyed the last episode much more because of the much needed balance you provide. You have quickly become one of my favorite podcasters.

I'm afraid it would be very difficult for me to accommodate that schedule. The TPS record time is similar to my EGP record time, and I'm busy with a lot of other things as well. Biting off more than I can chew is the expression that comes to mind.

3 months later
    #1125 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

Can we just have Craig for now on as cohost and no more Dennis please. His personality really kills the vibe of the show, hard to listen to someone be contradicting all the time just for the sake of being contradicting. Downvote me for my opinion, I don’t care.

Totally fair to have that opinion; not everyone will enjoy everyone else's style. Though I will note my opinions are genuine (I don't disagree with Zach solely to contradict, though I may exaggerate the level of annoyance depending on how loud he's being). My dislike of Market Trends stems from my belief in it being essentially fake, not that the concept itself is poor (to cite an example).

#1171 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Dennis sounds like a dude I know and shoot the shit with...is he real, or is he also just playing a counterpoint role to open our eyes and teach us something?

Who knows anymore?

Quoted from DakotaMike:

Dennis often disagrees with Zach and/or provides a devil's advocate perspective on issues like the JP Topper. In this particular case, Dennis was very vocal about the issue, and even did a bunch of topper research.

That's not actually my goal, though I know it ends up working out that way. I just give my thoughts or opinions on whatever the topics of the day are. I don't podcast with an inherent goal that opposite views need to be shown on topics. I'm fine with it, but I won't change my argument in order to achieve that outcome (unless it was a one-off done for the sport of it).

In this case I knew Zach wanted to spend a lot of time talking about the topper so I went ahead and researched the online discussions and wanted to examine the pricing to see if it *was* a notable increase (it is) or if it was more a perception thing. He didn't know I'd done it until we started recording. But I'd rather know than guess on things that are demonstrable.

Quoted from mr9865:

I think in Zach's world $600 is not that much money. He has talked about moving to a new house, building a inground pool (temporarily settled on a above ground) and having 12+ machines at home. Your perspective changes based on your income. I think Dennis sees the value of the dollar differently. Its all opportunity cost. The opportunity cost becomes less as your income increases.

I tend to operate in a relatively frugal way. Probably a combination of my own income level and how I was brought up. To me every dollar spent is weighed against everything else I could do with the dollar. I mean I don't even subscribe to Netflix because I have Amazon Prime and figure one video streaming service should be enough. I buy generic waffles and the store-brand potato chips. I buy whatever pop is on sale and can't even remember the last video game I bought for full price. That's just my nature.

This means I'm not the best voice to represent NiB pinball collectors. My outlook is just too different. But I think there are all sorts of people in the hobby of pinball and maybe a few of them see things similar to me.

#1244 3 years ago

I had to look this up; I've never seen that word before.

Quoted from Whysnow:

When you have those games in previously owned, but Popeye in your current collection... case closed. lol

To be fair, I still suspect Popeye is only there because I said it was a bad game and for whatever reason it became the game to spite me. I don't know this for a fact, but the theory is sound.

#1263 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

That’s a great topic and I’d love to discuss this if Dennis is up for it

Sure, I'd have no objection. Though I'm amazed you'd ask if I were up for it, that strangely never comes up with Deal of the Week.

Quoted from RandomTask:

BUT today is the last day to vote on the Silverball Chronicles Facebook Page for our next episode... Please don't make me do System 1 Gottlieb...

It'd be best to continue the S. Ritchie story at this point. That said, Gottlieb's launch of System 1 is a really interesting topic too. I'd probably title the episode something like: "Even Gods Can Bleed: System 1 and the Fall of Gottlieb".

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think their weighted system is smart.

The old SDTM model was flawed. Who evaluates every category of a game (art, layout, rules, sound, etc.) in completely equal portions? I've never met a single person to do that.

I do think Greg and Zach should have their own rating break-downs. They weight but it's unified but I don't think Greg and Zach actually weight identically and I assume what they are using is some sort of compromise.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

At one time this thread was about hot, new, The Pinball Show. TPS has 2 hosts - Zach and Dennis the shiller killer. To my knowledge TPS has never done reviews.

Correct, TPS is review-free, and none of the TPN podcasts currently are doing reviews (unless I missed something). Now I feel bad mentioning SDTM earlier in this post, but I'm too lazy to edit it out.

1 week later
    #1431 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Happy to discuss in the sdtm thread. I’m waiting for Dennis to boot me out of this thread hahaha. Love ya Den Den.

I thought there were 50 posts about puppets, not SDTM stuff (which isn't a part of TPN anyway). Imagine my disappointment when I finally come in here and read everything.

#1451 3 years ago
    Quoted from pickleric:

I guess you know what they say, this isn't Kansas anymore.

Loving the show tunes. Puppet Palz is the mop of pinball. Maybe TPN can sign Puppet Palz to a million dollar / ten-year contract, after they hire Alvin Jones of course. It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Zach says I can't do any voices except the one I lucked into. I wish I had the talent of a mop but I do not.

I swept my kitchen floor yesterday after listening to Puppet Palz. I imagined creating a character called "Broomy". He'd have a bristly personality and love all the oddball themes, like Godfather 3.

But then I realized I was just copying the more talented Moppy and I went back to sweeping.

1 week later
    #1587 3 years ago

Hello everyone, I wanted to announce that we have established separate RSS feeds for the TPN podcasts. The unified TPN RSS feed still remains, and will be the fastest way to see new episodes (as I have to manually handle these separate RSS feeds as our podcast hosting site doesn't provide this service, so the speed they update depends on when I can actually populate the changes). Note you will likely need to type the RSS feed directly into your podcatcher of choice, we are not pushing all the feeds out to the podcasting services (e.g., iTunes, Spotify, etc.) as the TPN feed already is in those locations. But, for those of you who only want to follow a few shows, I hope you find these helpful.

If there are any playback issues contact me. I'm maintaining the feeds and system supporting them and mistakes may happen from time to time. Just let me know and I'll take care of it.

TPN RSS Feeds
    The Pinball Network (main feed; all shows): https://feed.podbean.com/thepinballnetwork/feed.xml
    Final Round Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FinalThePinballNetwork
    Just Another Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/JustanotherThePinballNetwork
    Off The Record: http://feeds.feedburner.com/OffrecordThePinballNetwork
    Silverball Chronicles: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ChroniclesThePinballNetwork
    Silverball Stories: http://feeds.feedburner.com/StoriesThePinballNetwork
    The Pinball Show: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TpsThePinballNetwork
    The Pinball Show - Midweek Edition: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MidweekThePinballNetwork
    The Plumb: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PlumbThePinballNetwork
    The Puppet Palz: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PuppetThePinballNetwork
    Top 3 With Orby: http://feeds.feedburner.com/OrbyThePinballNetwork

Added over 4 years ago:

Jesse Jay's Pinball Adventures: http://feeds.feedburner.com/JesseThePinballNetwork

#1590 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Er, nevermind, Stitcher doesn't support manual RSS feeds, boo! Maybe I need a better podcatcher.
    Thanks regardless.

I'd recommend Podcast Addict. It's fully featured for free (has banner ads which can be disabled by paying) and it offers the ability to manually add RSS feeds. Other podcatchers that also allow this for consideration:
    1) Apple Podcasts
    2) Pocket Casts
    3) Breaker
    4) Overcast
    5) Castbox
    6) Downcast

I don't think Spotify or iHeartRadio allow it, though.

#1597 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

No TPS this week?

Correct, Zach is on vacation.

1 month later
    #1691 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

No show this week?

No TPS this week, correct.

1 week later
    #1720 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCapn:

"I can confidently say that I bet I can whoop the ass out of a wolf"
    -Zach Meny

Zach clearly has never seen a wolf. Not up close. It isn't a German Shepard.

3 weeks later
    #1771 3 years ago

I am glad to see AIQ now acknowledged to not be a fan layout. Don't know the purpose to this pivot about sheep and growth. During the podcast discussion the entire focus was just trying to cram the round AIQ peg into the square fan layout hole. It was very surreal.

4 weeks later
    #1845 3 years ago

I didn't think the discussion was very controversial. I disclosed the limitations on my experience, my concerns as a potential buyer from the video, and shared some feedback I'd heard from others. I love the immersion but don't think the gameplay is something I'd personally be into buying, but I'd want to play it to formalize the opinion (that said, I've played so many games at this point I generally assess if I'll enjoy how a pin shoots by watching significant video of a leveled pin with a decent player on it; it's just geometry after all and not magic, what you see is what you get).

I think the pin will appeal to a lot of people. I think it will be well rated, especially by collectors who are after theme integration (even if they aren't huge GnR fans) and I think this is a smash hit for JJP. Good on them for making a pin that has broad appeal. I don't think it'll cater to everyone, but what pin does? The subjective differences we all have in terms of rules and geometry is one of the interesting things about pinball (to me at least), and why I didn't poop all over Zach's opinion just because it differed from my own first impressions.

Zach putting in the silly sound effects around my words is just a Zach thing, it doesn't bother me.

1 week later
    #1871 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Thanks for the banner Zach. I took Dennis’s advice and wrapped myself up in it- now my kids are fighting over whose room it goes in.
    [quoted image]

"One must commit acts of the highest treason only when dressed in the most resplendent finery." --Grant Morrison

1 week later
    #1903 3 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

(and Dennis’s...Dennis'...Dennises's?)

Depends on the style guide (though I think the last version is never right!).

Chicago Manual of Style says add the 's to any proper name ending in -s (so Dennis's).

Associated Press Style Book says just add the ' to any proper name ending in -s (so Dennis').

I typically do Chicago style nowadays but I can't even claim to be consistent. Historically I did AP style since that was what I was most familiar with.

1 week later
    #1925 3 years ago

The specs stuff is a bit complicated. They are practically identical for all intents and purposes, but the Xbox does have, mathematically, 18% more power than the PS5 (https://www.polygon.com/reviews/21562630/ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-which-should-you-buy-comparison-better-worse-game-pass).

Load time tests are suggesting Xbox is outperforming PS5 (https://www.denofgeek.com/games/xbox-series-x-load-times-faster-ps5-launch-games/) which is somewhat notable given early on there was some theorycrafting that Sony's SSD system would help make up the difference versus Xbox having slightly more power, but it doesn't seem to bear out (note these load times are all REALLY close together).

I would agree the PS5 controller is more technologically advanced (innovative) than what Xbox is selling. For me, the issue I have is more fundamental... the symmetrical analog sticks. I feel they are just inferior to the asymmetrical layout Microsoft pioneered and many others now take advantage of. But that's a YMMV thing. I doubt we'll ever see a significant redesign from Sony on that.

Quoted from Fytr:

Okay, finally got to the end of this one.
    You can learn a lot about Zach by listening to his braggadocious take on the video game industry. Having no relevant recent knowledge or experience to pull from doesn't stop him from making "strong take" statements like Nintendo should sell their games on competitors systems, and the Xbox Series S is pointless, etc.
    I realize that making bold inaccurate statements is in style in 2020, and frankly I wish Dennis has taken the bait and shut him down hard, but I guess his strength was dwindling by that point. And yes, Tony knows about 1000x more about video games than you do Zach. It's true.

Zach and I have discussed this several times. What he describes as "weaving gold" and I describe as... something else. He thinks people like it, I think people don't, and the reality is it will depend on the person.

My lack of push-back was a combination of fatigue and that we're on something called The Pinball Show and so I wasn't inclined to drag out a video game dicussion (I co-host a much less popular podcast that tackles both pinball and video games for those that like that sort of thing).

#1928 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I was using the segment as a standout example of Zach just talking smack on a subject right out the bottom of his ass (as he often does), and doing so with misplaced confidence. I can only assume it was meant to be entertaining, probably trying to get you to react, etc.

Oh probably.

1 month later
    #1975 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

Zach's wife already contacted me about my statements regarding identical/matching clothes...

#1977 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

Care to share.......?!!

Nope!

1 month later
    #2049 3 years ago

Forgot to mention, thanks fo to Dennis Kriesel for his gift of prophecy and whispering of a honey potion into JKR’s morning Bloody Mary. That sealed the deal, I am sure. #wordsmatter

You have theory crafted an interesting conspiracy theory.

I actually get a few people who, from time-to-time, ask me about Harry Potter and if I really can't imagine it happening. So let me weave you a version of my own theory craft that, while I still find it improbable, I could see as a potential path forward.

Kaminkow and Roger Sharpe, together, tag-team and get the license. Cost runs between $1.5-$2 million, for a single game. Three-year term that triggers the moment the paper is signed. Stern gets the game for three reasons:
    1) Kaminkow only works with Stern when it comes to pinball
    2) Roger gives his son the coup-of-the-decade when it comes to licensing
    3) They are the only company that can really eat this cost assured to meet the license timetable

The money alone is not required for this to happen. Kaminkow has to give JK a ride in his 1966 Batmobile. Also, to satisfy her concern that pinball lures children into seedy venues of ill repute, a condition of the license is no functional coindoor can be included and the software must have coin-drop options removed (free play only). JK, fresh off her Batman experience and reasonably assured only homeowners will get this game, consents (oh, and the cash of course).

Kaminkow and R. Sharpe co-design the game. I imagine it looks like a cross between Laser War and Barracora. B. Eddy isn't even allowed to look at it during design (he's banished to Godzilla).

License assets are limited. It's the world of Harry Potter but none of the major characters. Stern has the pull to get Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) to do call-outs but that's really as close as it comes (full music though!). Game has you play as a generic "wizard" in the world, and you tangentially play modes related to major scenes from the various movies. Most movies are rolled into the single pin (except the second-to-last, Harry Potter and the Boring Tent Experience, or whatever it was called, there's nothing worth redeeming there).

Three models, but not cornerstone, more like Beatles. All three flavors are limited. Unlike Beatles, all three versions have mechanical differences. Estimate total game production on the 2-3k level. Prices inflated to address license issues. My speculation is Gold is basically toy-free, Platinum has a cool serpent toy, and Diamond has a whole mode dedicated to quidditch. Lots of video assets with shots of the school and the world and such, no close-ups of characters. Lowest model probably starts around $8k and the highest around $20k.

If you want hope I give you hope. Tempered, realistic, and brutal.

#2051 3 years ago

If Kaminkow / Stern has the license ( what have you heard?) I’d totally expect your reality theory to play out as described.

I don't know anything. I'm like a mushroom, totally in the dark. Trust me. Would I lie?

2 weeks later
    #2074 3 years ago

Wasn’t it Kriessel who once said, when a podcaster takes a break, this often results in the show being discontinued? The reason stated was once unshackled from demands from a regular podcasting schedule, more often than not, the podcaster decides it isn’t worth their time to continue. They decide they don’t like hosting anymore and life without it is too much fun.

Correct. Always watch for the warning signs. Always.

1 month later
    #2156 2 years ago

Zach's face appears to be on a Tudor and mine on a Hamilton. Is this suggesting something?

2 weeks later
    #2197 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Dude... How can you have been around for so long and not know about Leeroy Jenkins?????

It was shocking. Shocking!

2 weeks later
    #2224 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

Anywho, he made a few assumptions to support his narrative so, and since I'm sure other share these thoughts, I figured I'd publicly add some to the facts that ZMeny mentioned...

I'm not sure people are particularly interested but easy enough to skip my post. You've raised a few items that involved me so I'll provide a few elements for clarity.

When creating Silverball Chronicles I only ever negotiated with Dennis and had zero dealings with Zach on bringing Chronicles to TPN.

Back during launch the goal was just to quickly assemble a small group, with the idea that the concept would explain itself and interested parties would come forward after seeing TPN in action. The Founders (the loose label used for the five individuals handling the administration at formation) each, as I recall, had one podcast arranged (mine was Chronicles), though I think Zach had two.

Zach promotes Flip N Out Pinball on his podcast, I promote my business...

I'm not aware of any FNO promotion on anything that doesn't have a sponsorship arrangement other than The Pinball Show. Which we discussed back when it launched with Zach, Ken, and me hosting. Agreement was it made total sense for any host to promote what they'd like on the show they work on. So Zach mentions FNO, generally the plug is at the end of the show. I don't really have much to promote but Eclectic Gamers Podcast gets mentioned at the end of the shows I am on and that's the same concept.

I promote TWIP every month on my TPN Podcast and will continue to do so. I have had ZERO conversations around this with Zach. My assumption is, he doesn't care...

Everyone in TPN makes their own promotion determinations, sponsors, swag systems, etc. The goal was to create a self-support system of content creators but folks make their own decisions (TPN would step in if, say, someone went on a racist rant or something, but as Zach noted in the episode we don't actually take folks' content and edit it/censor it).

My understanding has been that TPN was never, 'Zach's Network'. It was Zach, Dennis, Jason, Greg and Ken's. Now it's Zach and Dennis' with a committee who make all the decisions. Myself, George, Dennis, Zach, Joshua, Kevin and Lindsay are 'the committee.'

I don't know whose "idea" TPN was... it's irrelevant, but I've been quite public with my thoughts about ideas being a dime a dozen and not understanding obsession with who came up with what (action is everything).

TPN had a starting core group of five people called Founders for shorthand convenience. We were not all onboarded at the same time (when I was approached everyone but Jason was involved) so I can't speak about discussions that predate me. The Committee handles the administrative work now; Zach and I tried doing it as a two-person operation and, just speaking for myself, I got really burned out. So we asked some TPN members to help out. All major decisions run through the committee system.

The committee has shot down a few dumb ideas Zach has had. Zach has also had some great ideas. He's firm but fair when we debate but he doesn't steam roll us. The committee has also shot down idea's I've had of which I'm still bitter...

Committee votes on major decisions (e.g., adding new creators). Yes, Zach has lost votes. I might have even lost one (as illogical as that may seem).

Zach has never once mentioned podcast numbers for TPS in our TPN Chat or to me privately. I've had to ask how many views Chronicles gets... my assumption is he doesn't want competition amongst us TPN Podcasters for numbers.

Yes, this approach was set back in the Founder days. Part of the idea of TPN was for the members to nurture each others' content creation. Constructive feedback, tips, and the like. Listener counts were seen as a possible competitive factor. That said, any show can ask for their listeners and if they want to share the count they of course are welcome to do with the information as they wish. Several have contacted me for their listener counts.

Zach isn't the only person to think of a second award show. I thought a 'critics choice' award show would fit in well with pinball and give a different perspective, in addition to the TWIPYs.

I advocated for a critic's choice system for YEARS. That's all publicly available on past Eclectic Gamers Podcast episodes. I spent a lot of time reaching out to content creators for the PIAs telling them about the ballot process and seeing if they would participate. I assumed that level of ownership of that process because of my high interest in critic's choice systems and I wanted to ensure we had a good assortment of voices.

Also, since it came up in the episode, the reason why Zach couldn't put his thumb on the scale/change the PIA results is he didn't have sole access to the system. We used SurveyMonkey for the voting. The "raw" summary data from SurveyMonkey was sent to the PIA Committee so they all had the vote results (note this committee is different than the TPN Committee). In addition, Zach, Dave, and I all had direct access into SurveyMonkey and monitored the voting process throughout the open period. Also, because of the critic's choice approach, we were able to send direct survey invites to all but one voter (they got a custom vote link instead), which means we had each ballot tied to a specific voter who was already identified and approved as meeting the established critic criteria. Zach also wasn't who pulled the formal results for the committee (I did; and I encouraged Dave and Zach to review at will to ensure it matched what was in the system).

Long story short (too late), it would have been in my view almost impossible for someone to alter the submitted PIA results without getting multiple people in on the scam. I do not commit voter fraud, I was not approached to manipulate the votes by anyone and had someone asked it of me I would have exposed the attempt.

I'm not saying the PIAs were my 'idea' but I approached Zach before he even approached me. I joined the PIAs in Nov 2020 when Dennis mentioned the project was going forward and they needed to figure out if it was actually going to work since we had 2 months to pull it off.

PIA model was based off several existing award formats (e.g., The Game Awards and the Oscars were probably the most cited between Zach and me), further format revisions were made once the PIA Committee was established.

#2227 2 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

I agree, pinball content should be fun and entertaining, where do I find that podcast?

You can actually subscribe to the shows individually rather than the entire network. Joel's show is Just Another Pinball Podcast. Here are all the RSS feeds:

The Pinball Network (main feed; all shows): https://feed.podbean.com/thepinballnetwork/feed.xml
    Jesse Jay's Pinball Adventures: http://feeds.feedburner.com/JesseThePinballNetwork
    Just Another Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/JustanotherThePinballNetwork
    The Pinball Show - Midweek Edition: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MidweekThePinballNetwork
    The Pinball Show Interviews: http://feeds.feedburner.com/InterviewsThePinballNetwork
    The Plumb: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PlumbThePinballNetwork
    The Puppet Palz: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PuppetThePinballNetwork

Added over 3 years ago:

Free Play Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FreeplayThePinballNetwork
    Triple Drain Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/tripledrainthepinballnetwork

Added 22 months ago:

The Pinball Tapes: http://feeds.feedburner.com/tapesthepinballnetwork

Added 22 months ago:

The Aussie Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/aussiethepinballnetwork

Added 18 months ago:

Pinball Party: http://feeds.feedburner.com/pinballpartythepinballnetwork

Added 12 months ago:

Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast: https://feeds.feedburner.com/innovatorsthepinballnetwork

Added 168 days ago:

Free Play Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FreeplayThePinballNetwork
    Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast: https://feeds.feedburner.com/innovatorsthepinballnetwork
    The Aussie Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/aussiethepinballnetwork
    The Pinball Tapes: http://feeds.feedburner.com/tapesthepinballnetwork
    Triple Drain Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/tripledrainthepinballnetwork

#2238 2 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

I listen to podcasts on Spotify or occasionally Apple Podcasts. Every other podcast I listen to I can subscribe to just that podcast with these apps. I'm not going to change to "myYahoo", "podnova", "get Juice", "fire ant" or these other obscure apps.

All podcatchers I'm familiar with allow you enter an RSS into their system to get the feed so I wouldn't think you need anything special. I don't use Apple Podcasts or Spotify but doing a check here's what I see for Apple Podcasts:
    1) Open the Podcasts app.
    2) Tap Library.
    3) Tap Edit in the upper right corner, and then tap “Add a Show by URL...”
    4) Enter your RSS feed URL.
    5) Tap Follow.

So assuming that's right you should be able just to copy any URL link I provided and paste it in during Step 4, and done, it'll update and all that just like all the other content you consume.

1 month later
    #2360 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

"Acapolka"???????
    Bummer to hear about Stern delay issues. Really looking forward to my Mando.

Haha, yes, let me correct. I meant to say "a cappella" and I think I was saying Alcapulco instead. Or mixing them both into an abomination. I felt like I was getting something wrong but obviously not enough to stop and check!

Alcapulco is a city and I have no idea if T-Pain performed there before. A cappella is to perform without instruments, which I thought I've heard him do before. I know YouTube has some studio session stuff if you'd like to hear him without autotune (but there's usually at least some instrumental accompanying him).

1 week later
    #2373 2 years ago

Hockey romance, the last truly untapped genre...

1 month later
    #2439 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah intentional to showcase my mind not grasping the drawn out details of the story as only Dennis can do. It was my first attempt at the effect, but I’ll keep working on it as it was confusing to some.

Or... hear me out... never do the effect again and problem solved!

Quoted from PismoArcade:

Damn...Now I want one of those Mario smart watches.

Sadly they sold out super (hehe) fast. But if willing to pay a premium I hear some are flipping them on eBay.

mario (resized).jpgmario (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #2726 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

Spike III isn't to have a larger screen, it's to run a separate screen on the lock down bar.

A sort of Pin... Bar?

#2731 2 years ago
    Quoted from Adipocere:

Is the RSS feed for TPS not working?

Mistake on my part for the latest episode. Should be fixed now.

#2737 2 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

My kingdom for a new TPS!

None this week.

#2750 2 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

And somebody PLEASE get DennisK an intro song! I would love to hear one.

I think intro songs are more of a Triple Drain podcast thing versus a TPS thing.

3 weeks later
    #2807 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The feedburner link here seems dead. You can get to the page, but when you try to download, it dies with "can't download, network error" for me, every time.

I just tested it in my podcatcher and it worked fine (downloading and playing the episode) and when I went to the Feedburner link (http://feeds.feedburner.com/FinalThePinballNetwork) it played for me both via the Play Now button at the top of the episode and in the player at the bottom of the episode.

Could have been a temporary issue or possibly tied to the network (namely wifi) you are on if it blocks certain ports. Only things that come to mind since I am unable to duplicate, but that was something I had to deal with for another podcast (one wifi I am often on never let me download always needed to use another).

So I'd suggest trying again and if the error happens again if possible you could try accessing via another network connection. Since I can't duplicate the error that's all I can really suggest at this point, sorry.

1 month later
    #2961 2 years ago

Finished the episode today. Sorry that I was not present to stop the INDISC madness but it was my off-week. Got to consider the player and the viewer perspective. If the sponsors were unhappy they'd complain. And I doubt structural changes to the competition would be sufficient to net enough increased sponsorship to offer appreciable benefit to all the players now stuck playing Rush for 20 rounds.

2 weeks later
    #3056 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Dennis, your always throwing Oktoberfest under a bus. This time its a D rated game because the theme is alcohol. True this may steer people away who have kids or don't drink for whatever reason. However there are just as many like me who like to party and laugh and bought it for that reason!

I thought I noted others would enjoy the theme... I would have to play back my words I do not remember. But I agree I do throw the Oktoberfest theme under the bus. On theme alone there are other holidays that would have sold better, in my opinion. YMMV

#3058 2 years ago

I may need to get me to an Oktoberfest!

Nice use of Wish List numbers, I never researched where the game stood here versus other AP titles.

I still think Saint Patrick's Day would have sold better though!

2 weeks later
    #3097 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Ep 94: Pinball Wishes and Arcade Dreams

Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Jason Knapp

- Introducing Jason Knapp of Knapp Arcade
    - We Hear From Three Correspondents
    - Stern Pinball Backlog and ScoopGate
    - American Pinball Award Nomination
    - Jersey Jack Pinball and Anime
    - Alien LV Shipping
    - Funhouse 2.0 Gameplay
    - The Deeproot Pinball Auction
    - Unmarketable Dream Themes
    - Pinball Market Trends

Knapp Arcade: https://www.knapparcade.org/
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast: https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/eclectic-gamers-podcast/

email: [email protected]
    facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-tiqha-11ceded

2 weeks later
    #3146 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Ep 95: Texas Two-Step

Episode link: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-67kmu-11e3cb3

Host: Dennis Kriesel

- Back from Texas
    - We Hear From a Correspondent
    - Weird Al at TPF
    - Micro Madness and the Tale of Tales
    - Pedretti’s Plans to Expand 2.0 Offerings
    - Cactus Canyon Remake Code Expansion is a Kit
    - American Pinball Updates
    - The 2021 TWIPYs
    - Pinball Market Trends

Eclectic Gamers Podcast: https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/eclectic-gamers-podcast/

facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/

1 week later
    #3165 1 year ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

Different strokes - I don’t prefer and likely won’t listen to another solo den den show.

But I even did Market Trends! /singleteardrop

#3197 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Anyone having problems with TPN disappearing from your podcatcher?

If you want to send me a private message regarding what podcatcher you use I can see about trying to sort the situation out. I subscribe to ensure the episodes are arriving at the main TPN feed and am not having a problem but each application is different. We might just need to direct input the RSS into your app to get around the issue it is having, tough to say.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

Also, I keep hearing that Dennis is the nicest guy in pinball, but IDK.

Who knows how all these pinball rumors get started?

Quoted from gstellenberg:

The flipper buttons on the P3 push into leaf switches (not instant on/off microswitches), and you can absolutely control the strength of your flips with quick flips, do tap passes, do various forms of passes, etc.

Thank you for noting this detail. I know I said at the end of the segment that I read here (on Pinside) that leaf switches were being used but the post was five years ago and with the ability to change the buttons I wasn't sure if that was continued onward or not (though the phrasing made me suspect it was).

Quoted from djsolzs:

Appreciate the clarification on Mirco Dennis - good show guys!

Of course, if my word choice was confusing I thought it best to provide clarification. My stance on Mirco is somewhat convoluted given I'm weighing who the consumer's "contract" is with against what we all know in such a small hobby, so I'm not too surprised I didn't present that very well the first time.

#3199 1 year ago

Important note for DennisK: I hike that mountain in Hawaii every couple months. Was on top of it in February when someone fell off (thankfully that person survived).

Oh, I did not know if it was a popular one for folks. I have never been. Just saw some Reddit posts saying it can be rough especially when wet and depending how far you go.

#3203 1 year ago

So why would anyone anyone keep doing this hike? Because it's as breathtakingly beautiful as a siren's song. Here's a nice little photo journal of it https://www.journeyera.com/olomana-trail-three-peaks-oahu/

Just looking at these photos made me tired...

#3214 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

And here I am, thinking that all these new posts were in joy of another episode of Silverball Chronicles. So wrong. I feel so stupid!

You might like to try the Off the Record episode of Pinball Tapes that recently dropped. It isn't the same as Silverball Chronicles of course, but it does deal in pinball history so might be up your alley (just via a super game-specific format).

I'm not sure when the next SC will be (I've not asked Dave but he reads this thread he might give you an estimate... or he might not... one never knows with Dave).

#3217 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I did, and you upvoted me for posting about it this morning.

Oh, I have the memory of a goldfish. Have another upvote.

1 week later
    #3255 1 year ago

It's hard not to do verbal tics and "filler" sounds. I still struggle with my "umms" and "likes", especially if I'm trying to think/remember while speaking, and I've been doing podcasts for years.

3 weeks later
    #3330 1 year ago

I have updated the key post on this thread with the RSS feeds to provide a direct link to The Pinball Tapes for those who wish to just subscribe to that one.

1 month later
    #3419 1 year ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Lol! Thanks Joel. So did Zach and Dennis both misspeak and said Travis when they meant Karl?

I only recall saying Travis blew the game up, not that it was on video. I am not aware of a video, just a discussion with him about his first day owning it.

3 weeks later
    #3453 1 year ago

Note, we've made a change in the intro as someone pointed out a joke we had was based on a real event. No offense was meant and thus we have removed that statement from future downloads, and we extend our apologies to anyone offended who heard the original version.

#3454 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Tripple Drain is fine in the beginning but the language gets courser and foul near the end passed the mid mark.
    I turned on a episode of Final Round and hit with the C word bombs that made the movie "Fury" blush.

Most of the TPN shows are explicit (in whole or in part). I'd give a list of those that are not but I probably won't be perfect on it. I'd say Silverball Chronicles, The Aussie Pinball Podcast, and Pinball Tapes all jump out as shows that I don't recall hearing profanity on. There's a key post in this thread with direct RSS feeds to those if you'd like to subscribe to just the clean ones.

#3459 1 year ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

afterall we are all adults here... (well maybe most of us, nope scratch that, maybe some of us?)

Sure, but I do know some people who like to listen to podcasts in the car with their kids present and that makes them uncomfortable. While I will swear on TPS (I try to limit myself to no more than two bad words per episode, not counting what Zach might sneak into his outtakes of course), over on the other podcast I do with Tony we bleep out all the swearing (and Tony and I swear A LOT in real life), and we've had a number of people write in over the years saying they like not having to worry about playing the show around kids.

1 week later
    #3503 1 year ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

Having to crawl under a game to level it is already a pain. Having someone else photograph you doing it and then blasting it on social media... Zach really does find the best pictures of me. It's like his superpower.

I thought his superpower was joining a two-hour long stream and one whole game getting played on the featured pin.

1 month later
    #3555 1 year ago
    Quoted from RoadQueen:

Dennis I love you man! Been having the exact same issue you had in your Godzilla with randomly not detecting some of the locked balls through the building and going into ball search. To me it specially happens on slow rolling balls through the building. After listening to the show I checked and I have a sizable gap between the subway and VUK, so I put a business card like Keith suggested and voila!

Glad it worked for you. I checked the discussions and saw some similar reports of the issue but everyone always seemed to assume it was a bad opto. I set another high score today and continue to have 100% success rate in no ball searches needed.

Here is my photo with my fish paper.
    PXL_20220825_173225932.jpgPXL_20220825_173225932.jpg

I taped it down inside and outside like a little subway extender.

1 week later
    #3606 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Joel of course is the gushy, sweet jelly, loved by family and friends, and available in many flavors and formats.

Quoted from ZMeny:

Trav is obviously the peanut butter.

Quoted from ZMeny:

Tom is a nice honey wheat bread that doesn’t stick to your teeth like that bullshit white bread.

What?

I won't say this is the strangest comparison I've ever read, but I'd rank it pretty far up there. I see Triple Drain in more of a Lord of the Rings view.

Joel is Galadriel. The fair and respected leader. But if he were to but reach out his hand and take true pinball power, it would corrupt him into something both beautiful and terrible. All would love him and despair. But so far he has resisted the temptation.

Travis is Gimli. His skill at the pinball craft is legendary, and he is fiercely loyal, but you have to accept his gruff exterior.

Tom is the Eagles. All of them. Why don't people just use the Eagles to solve all conflicts? Well, because that's too easy, and so like the Eagles Tom waits and watches, and only intervenes at the utmost end of need, when the forces of good need him the most.

#3616 1 year ago

My next rumor could leave the pinball world shaking soon.

1 week later
    #3637 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

No shit! I had noise-cancelling headphones on when he started the toots.

If only you'd had some sort of editing tool that would have allowed you to reduce the volume in post. Perhaps some day such technology will exist. We can only hope.

#3639 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I checked during edit and it wasn’t peaking

No, but did you check if it was haunting? It seems haunting. Full of memory.

#3673 1 year ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

Yeah it makes me wonder if we are the idiots putting out content for free. I know we enjoy making Triple Drain because it's a fun conversation with friends but are we apparently leaving a few thousand dollars on the table every month? I'm glad I can offer free pinball content because I know how much free pinball content I enjoy myself but maybe we are all crazy for doing the work with no compensation.

Not idiots, but sadly (in my view) the podcasting model isn't really designed for fair monetization. It's why so many open up merch options (and you know how unimpressive those do when you finally see your cut on the shirts). I think this is a main reason we see far more people content create via Twitch (as we know streaming is way harder than podcasting). Twitch has a pretty low bar for Affiliate status. From there, you have the Subs as a potential revenue option that can be recurring (and thus predictable). But also Bits, which means even the one-off viewer might show you appreciation for your efforts. Nothing like that exists for podcasts. You either need a third-party service like Patreon or some sort of advertising arrangement (which also is often third party in nature and many entities would never entertain ads for the volume of listeners pinball commands).

I mean, that's why I do my other hobby content creation on YouTube. The Partner requirements were a lot rougher than Twitch but I get passive ad revenue on all my videos (plus they support versions of Subs and Bits and other things like merch integration and so forth... but it's the ads that matter). My first monetized month my videos generated more revenue than EGP has in its entire existence (and I've been doing that show over six years now).

I've continued to do the shows due to a combination of habit and enjoying the conversations. But it has gotten harder to want to. Probably just standard burnout. There's a reason most pinball podcasts flame out within two years.

#3706 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

What is a Discord server exactly? I imagine it being like an AOL chatroom?

A pretty good analogy. Discord is a program that is free to use (it has paid options as well). People can make a Discord server and it is sort of akin to a chatroom. People get invited to the server (it can be public, invite-only, etc.).

Within the server you create channels, usually organized around topic. Within each of those it is like one big chat (sort of like a specific message thread on a forum).

#3724 1 year ago
    Quoted from Smack:

And now today 2 TPN podcasts have put up Patreon's should people want to support them.

I may partially be to blame. I activated Patreon on Eclectic Gamers Podcast earlier this week (before these two shows) and talked about it with the TPN folks (I won't link it here as it isn't a TPN podcast). Though all this discussion about paid content versus unpaid definitely brought it all back up with my EGP co-host and me.

We've discussed Patreon for a while. But similar to what David said I've always been a bit leery about it, never really liked asking for funds for a hobby. But then, a couple episodes ago, our RSS quit working with iTunes. It turned out to be a host problem but I spent hours looking into it, changing settings, emailing Apple and SoundCloud. And I was like, "why am I doing all this work for a hobby?" And then, this week, I looked at the mp3 content count for EGP... over 10 DAYS of recorded audio. Each one of those shows researched with background notes.

If I weren't over six years in on podcasting I might feel different. But one grows weary of fixing issues, hearing complaints from people who don't like your style and love to tell you about it, and waking up early and scheduling around all the programming, and so forth. And, if you're me, you start to wonder if people really even care that you do all this. So, I figured maybe we should try it, Tony was cool with it (I swear he brought Patreon up to me first but it was so long ago I no longer remember clearly), and I got it set. Figured we'd do it voluntary and see if people care or not, obligation free. If there's no interest, might be a good sign to just hang up the mic and do something else with the hours a week of free time I'll obtain. So, a real life experiment!

3 months later
    #3925 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

So, ZMeny DennisK, where is the ballot?

Public ballot request form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GZ976JB
    Judges ballot request form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8M63VZV

Ballots will go out next week after all the review (confirming judges meet the criteria and all that). Cut-off on the request forms is on January 7th (well, subject to your time zone).

3 weeks later
    #3999 1 year ago

I've let Zach know, the post just references the wrong URL. The website is: http://thepinball.network/

EDIT: Actually, I think we had that URL functioning as a mirror to the Podbean URL at one point before having the TPN website made. If you are wanting the feed URL that I believe it pointed to, you can access that here: https://thepinballnetwork.podbean.com/

1 month later
    #4126 12 months ago

Silverball Chronicles with David and Ron
    Episode 29: Everything is Lit! Keith P Johnson and Jersey Jack Pinball

Want to Support the Show? Visit Our Patreon at www.patreon.com/silverballchronicles  or pick up a t-shirt at: https://silverballswag.com/collections/silverball-chronicles

Topic Starts at 10:50

Episode Summary

What can you say about Keith P Johnson? He has 4 of the top pinball machines in the Pinball Awards’ Hall of Fame. He coded some of the most revered and most panned pinball codes in our hobby. In addition, Keith was one of the most important pieces in designing the Jersey Jack operating system and building their philosophy around pinball code.

Join us this month as we discuss how Keith got into the pinball industry, his transition into full time rules designer, his Simpsons Pinball Party and Lord of the Rings masterpieces, leaving pinball only to be pulled back in, building the Jersey Jack operating system and JJPs philosophy on code… Everything is Lit his month!

Sources can be found at: https://thepinballnetwork.podbean.com

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-vrd4p-13cf93d
    Pinside_forum_7351634_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7351634_0 (resized).jpg

#4129 12 months ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 34 - TPF 2023 Recap with Colin MacAlpine

Hosts: Joel Engelberth, Tom Graf, Travis Murie & Colin MacAlpine

TPF has come and gone and what a great show it was! On this episode we asked Colin to join us so that we could dive deep into the TPF tournament and what it was like directing it. Travis and Tom share how they played overall as well as some interesting rules that the TD had to enact. After that we shared our initial impressions of all 6 newly released games being Pulp Fiction, Galactic Tank Force, Foo Fighters, Godfather, Final Resistance and Scooby Doo. Buckle up because this is a long one!

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-rqqkh-13cf9a2

unnamed (resized).pngunnamed (resized).png

1 month later
    #4294 10 months ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Just for accuracy: THE THING (2011) was not a remake of THE THING (1982), but rather it was a prequel that set up the events of the 1982 film. It takes place immediately before those events, and is disappointing overall, but clever in how it sets up the better, earlier film.

Thank you, I only saw it once and clearly don't remember it very well. I don't remember if I even saw all of it or not. I never saw the '51 version.

#4300 10 months ago
    Quoted from Alaskanzen:

I think Dennis missed a key part of the argument in the CGC vs Original argument: Bally/Williams golden age pins have a superior flipper design to modern pins and shoot significantly different as a result. That alone is a strong argument for original vs. modern.

That's a gameplay aspect. I was solely trying to evaluate it from the perspective of a collector. I've never known a hobby where collectors prefer less rare, non-original versions when it comes solely to the aspect of collecting. I know plenty of hobbies where people who want to actually use something want the newest iteration. I generally fall into the latter camp. And you can definitely collect whatever, but it's a pretty rare day when, from a pure collecting standpoint, revisions, remakes, and reprints rise above an original for *collector* desirability (that's not always reflected in price either, especially if those sorts of collectors are a subset of an overall hobby).

So anyway, flipper design isn't really a collector aspect, that is a gameplay debate which could lead someone to prefer, in this case, an OG game for non-collecting reasons. But it was outside my scope of discussion.

#4302 10 months ago

Dennis said purists would prefer original MM. Then, he told Zach he was not a purist, supposedly because he didn’t follow the definition in his head of a purist - as one who always only prefers the original. Those 2 statements Dennis made are loaded.
    First, the term purist was thrown out of context and then a judgment was implied that a purist is something worthy to strive for or is someone with elevated status from following the rules. A purist would never harbor a “compromised brand new remake pinball in their abode”.

Not exactly what I said, but I see where the impression came from. I imagine most heard the discussion, but as a reminder we were talking about remakes and specifically were talking about what the "classic" editions (Fathom, MMr, etc.) didn't sell very well. I said my theory (and I acknowledged it as simply a theory) was that "real" collector (and I thought I really, really emphasized "real" to make it clear I was deliberately poking here) of classic games would want the OG games, and if you're going for remakes then you're already compromising on that premise so you might as well get the cool display, better code, and all the rest.

I don't think I implied they wouldn't buy new. I implied between new and old a collector of, say, WMS games is going to want WMS games. I'm not going to prove it, I said it was just a theory already.

Incidentally, I lumped myself right in with the remake buyers; I'd rather have all remakes in my pinball collection. Does it make me a non-"real" collector per my outline? Absolutely, and I am quite happy to be there with the shiny remake.

#4322 10 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah, this has been disappointing to me too. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that Dennis is onboard with the $10 a month vs the more traditional $5. He's usually the voice of reason which is why he's my favorite part of TPS.

Because the market will handle it. Zach crafted a tier proposal with benefits associated to each tier. I was fine with it because it either works or it doesn't work. And if it didn't work then it could be changed. The tiers are all about the incentives as the podcast itself remains as it was (free). So, someone can look and either say "I think the extra audio content and Discord is worth $10 each month" or they can say "heck no, $10 is stupid but I'd pay $X" or they can say "I'd never pay anything for this dreck." All answers are right.

If the Patreon wasn't seeing participation we'd have had a conversation about the tiers. If the goal was to maximize revenue or something that might also be a discussion. It isn't set up that way. The TPS Patreon is for the add-ons. You either like them at the price or you don't. Vote with your wallet.

The EGP Patreon is what 90s kids might remember as the "shareware" model. We don't promise any add-ons (sure, we try and give a monthly Baby's First and polls and stuff but those aren't guaranteed and each tier is treated identically), it's solely a model for those that want to shareware-support the show. TPS doesn't have a tier for shareware support; the show is free, you decide on the add-ons (that said, Patreon will let you submit a custom amount to TPS, I think as low as $1/month, if someone really wanted to send money but not pay for a tier and didn't want any tier benefits).

1 week later
    #4352 10 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Dennis, true that video games release info about titles years in advance. But, games cost $39-$100 a pop. They’re accessible to nearly everyone, price-wise. Video game pricing is also throttled as a title ages…. And “manufacturing” titles, once designed, isn’t difficult.
    Way different scenario when a game costs $7k - $15k… and you, as a company, banks on selling a relatively limited amount of games to a much narrower audience. Production time frames are long, and to be efficient you need to purchase and stock parts in advance - not to mention labor certainly factors into the equation.
    The financial risk of customers holding onto cash in order to afford a specific title months down the road is greater, and would have serious impacts on profitability.

These are good points. I think the pricing is the biggest factor in terms of reasons why I might be wrong (and it better to keep titles "secret"), but I believe pinball games SHOULD throttle as they age. This propping up of the NiB sales prices (via distributor contract) is not how the industry always was, and is a form of false price control that causes more damage than I think manufacturers realize because if a company has a tendency to put out "bad" titles there is a disincentive to see their network order a lot up front (lest you get "Toy Story 4'd" and stuck with piles of games you can't sell because the used market's pricing is a lot better deal than the advantages of going new). If pinball continues to grow as a hobby I suspect pressure will mount to drop this (or they'll move away from distributors outright and can deal with the risks of pre-building and housing all those unwanted games).

The main thing, to me, though is I think people already hold their money out for certain titles. Distributors are known to keep what they call "interested" lists for all sorts of games. We know many of these companies leak, some pretty severely, and it is not unusual for us to know the games (in the form of rumor) years in advance. While Harry Potter for JJP was a surprise, we've known (really until Godfather, which also leaked out but much later) all the JJP games years in advance due to leaks. So, while I get why there is the perception that if the titles were announced everyone would just sit and hold their money, I think it just doesn't happen as widely as is feared. People are impatient, people want a new pin, and people start to buy after games get in the wild and they hear how good they are.

But of course, this is all very easy for me to say, it isn't my money on the line.

Thanks for giving a different perspective.

#4356 10 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Out of curiosity, do you think manufacturers purposely leak title information?

No, I think some who work at the manufacturers like to troll and drop hints and stuff, but that's all just for the sport of it. Not like as an actual marketing strategy. I've always felt the actual leaks are unplanned by management. Now, that being said, I'm not sure if they actually get all that upset by it either, but I just don't think it's the official strategy.

#4367 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheArrrrrcade:

ZMeny I do listen. Where else am I going to get the juicy industry gossip?

HP needs Metroid Easter Eggs. Maybe JP can stick Ridley in the background with the Dementors, or perhaps Samus's exoskeleton can be one of the giant chess pieces. So many possibilities!

#4369 10 months ago

The preferred condiment of space pirates!

1 month later
    #4506 8 months ago

Zach, you no fooling have a respectable breadth of acceptable-level funny voice impressions!

His impressions are stronger than mine which annoys me to no end but that's just the way things land sometimes.

4 weeks later
    #4571 7 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Dennis.
    Chicken nuggets? Come on brother, you’re way too smart to be putting that garbage in your body!!!

They weren't technically nuggets, they were breaded strips of chicken. Practically a salad!

#4573 7 months ago

Sadly, no White Castle in the Kansas City area anymore (nor anywhere in Kansas). When I was a teen there was. Closest now I think is in Columbia, Missouri (about 140 miles away).

4 months later
    #4694 82 days ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Good episode, but it's:
    ROY SCHEIDER not schneider.
    That is all.

Ah yes, apologies I should have double-checked the spelling.

2 months later
    #4802 3 days ago

The Pinball Show Episode 149.5: D&D

Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & David Dennis

Dennis and David recount their predictions from years ago on what would happen to pinball in the COVID-19 pandemic and review what they got right and wrong. Plus, Canadian Pinball Market Trends™!

- MEMBERS ONLY: 2024 Texas Pinball Festival: David Asks Dennis What Was Cool There

You can go back and hear the original pandemic predictions on TPS Midweek Episode 4 at: https://wordpress.com/post/thepinballnetwork555350716.wordpress.com/116

youtube: youtube.com/thepinballshow

instagram: @thepinballshowpodcast

tik tok: @thepinballshow

store: flipnoutpinball.com

membership: patreon.com/thepinballshow

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-dh98w-15becc3

TPS (resized).jpgTPS (resized).jpg

#4805 2 days ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Why the hell is this considered episode .5?

Zach wanted to be on episode 150 so I point-fived this one arbitrarily. That's all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisK.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-?tu=DennisK and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.