(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: The Pinball Show Ep 151: How Many People Are Buying New Pinball Machi

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,832 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by jonnyqtrek
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hamish_Campbell (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    UpperFlipperCutouts (resized).jpg
    IMG_8472 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8471 (resized).jpeg
    triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2227 All RSS feeds for TPN Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Post #2238 How to add RSS feeds Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 4 years ago

Glad to see things are coming together. In spite of a rocky start, I think this will be a good thing! It's certainly an interesting experiment to say the least.

As far as this thread goes, I love how people that don't listen to podcasts feel the need to let everyone know that they won't be listening to TPN. If you don't listen to podcasts or watch pinball media, then clearly TPN isn't for you. Why not move along and comment on something that is in your wheelhouse? Instead of clogging up a perfectly good thread with negativity. While we're on the subject, for a lot of us podcasts have replaced traditional radio. I love pinball, so why not listen to some people talk about pinball while we're working or driving? I take it o-din and his ilk (no offense) prefer music or talk-radio, or perhaps cold, cold silence.

Also, a lot of people really can't get over the fact that Zach and Nicole own a distro now. Good for him for pursuing his dreams! How awesome is it that he can be so connected to something that he loves. Sounds like a lot of people are jealous. Now that you mention it, I do wonder if K-man is a little jealous himself. I mean Zach has made himself into a major presence in pinball, and he makes a living off of it. And he's done it in far less time, with far less trolling. These days the Meny probably gets as much attention (and sometimes hate) as K-man himself.

Lastly, where's Greg Bone on the list? Did I miss his name? I didn't see him listed under any shows.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Is this accurate?
    Won't your podcasts be released on the TPN feed? Isn't that pretty much what an umbrella-type arrangement is?

Under the umbrella of the network, but not under the umbrella of any one person. They're all in the same feed so that listeners can subscribe to one feed, and get all the content, rather than many multiple feeds, and so it will be easier to coordinate release dates, ect. This kinda thing has been done many times before by different groups of podcasts; usually when they share related or connected content/interests. Its nothing new for podcasting in general, but it is new for pinball podcasting.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I'm aware of lots of podcast networks. It's very unusual for different shows in the network to be put out under the same feed. I hope people can understand the benefit of doing things the traditional way without me needing to spell it out.

I don't think it's as unusual as you seem to think. I have personally listened to several podcast networks that have multiple different shows on the same feed. I'm not saying its the most common way to do it or anything, but its definitely been done before, and been done successfully. For instance, I used to listen to a lot of miniature wargaming podcasts. And there was a network of shows under the What Would Patton Do (WWPD) umbrella. WWPD had 5 or 6 different shows that were all under the same feed. Some of the shows shared hosts with other shows, while some of the shows only had their own unique hosts. Across the shows several different game systems were covered. I personally would listen to the shows that focused on the 15mm scale game "Flames of War," and would skip shows that I knew focused on other games like the 28mm scaled "Bolt Action." I've also seen this type of thing on youtube, where a single channel will have many content providers, with many different types of shows. Often with hosts/creators from completely different parts of the world.

So again, the way Zach and co. are doing this is not a new idea by any stretch. The initial scale of this endeavor might be somewhat unique, but everyone involved has some experience doing this kind of thing. So it will be interesting to see how things pan out!

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

As for all the content in one place, we are all adults and most of us are smart enough to find and go get the content we want to see and hear.
    It actually kind of sucks. Those of us that supported the individual podcasts when they were on their own and bought their SWAG only for it to now be named “the pinball network”. WTF! But I have missed the content in the last few weeks. Thank goodness for kaneda and poormans. Not beating TPN up , I will certainly give it a chance.

I think you misunderstand things a little bit. No podcast ended because of TPN. Anyone who had a separate podcast before joining TPN will still have it. Only new shows will be put on TPN, no show is being brought over. For instance, Dennis will be part of the upcoming Pinball Show, but he is separately keeping his Eclectic Gamers Podcast. The same with Slapsave, and so on and so forth. Dennis has explained this in writing, and on the latest episode of his show. Any podcast that ended before the TPN announcement, was ended or planned to end all ready. Even though from the outside, it looked coordinated. In fact, in a lot of cases, the people who joined TPN shows only did so because they wouldn't have to bear the brunt of editing and planning duties, like they had to on their own previous shows.

#112 4 years ago

Also, still waiting to find out if Greg bone is gonna be part of any of the TPN shows. Or is he gonna do more with SDTM instead? Does anyone know? Cuz I speak for a lot of us when I say, "We need more Greg Bone and his sweet, sweet..."

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

What do you get when you mix a broken record, a crying baby, and a couple Kaneda tears?....... Delt
    Hope you stub your toe today buddy

I liked it. Made me chuckle. I think it was said with a smile and a wink, no need for anyone to take it seriously. Besides, stubbing your toe...pretty low on the list of bad things you could wish on someone! Have a sense of humor people!

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Do people really listen to podcasts about pinball? Why? Can't we just google to find out about the most recent mod or game coming out or game review? Do we need to have pinball shovelled into our brains 24/7 via a podcast? Are we that bored of a species that we can't sit here without constant hobby stimulation? We gotta have podcasts now?
    I for one, have never listened to any podcast and never will. It seems ridiculous to me.
    Rant off.

It's the equivalent of listening to the radio, or an album. Have you ever listened to either of those? A podcast is just another version of that type of thing. Not really that bizarre of a concept, no disrespect.

People pick the radio station that plays the content that they enjoy, or that has hosts that they like. People do the same with their podcasts. Imagine if there was a pinball radio station, that would be TPN.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I don't understand.
    Is the Pinball Network spread out over dozens of different Twitch channels and media outlets? What is different about that, than me just going to the individual Twitch channel on my own?
    Wouldn't it be better to have all of the content consolidated in ONE place? Maybe that is the case already and I am missing something?

Podcasts will be in one place. Streaming will remain with channel/stream owners. Keeps the money straight, and it means people can stream when they want without having to wait for their time slot. For Streamers being part of TPN will give them more visibility and a bigger support network.

#325 4 years ago

Hey all, I've been wondering...will Mr. Bone be a part of TPN in the future? I understand he's taking a bit of a break, but will he eventually be participating in some shows down the line? I was excited when I found out he was a founding member of TPN, but its been all quiet on his involvement since. Team Zach might start to overpower Team Greg, if this keeps up!

#343 4 years ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

So is Greg Bone hollywoodbone going to be part of the future Pinball Show episodes?

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

By now (the crew completely ignoring he is mentioned all the time) I‘m wondering if he‘s even still alive.

I wonder if this is part of another super-secret marketing strategy? Like they're going to make us think Greg Bone has disappeared, and then all of the sudden he'll pop up on like 5 shows and have a dozen Youtube uploads or something! With Greg missing from the TWIPY's as well, I'm starting to wonder if maybe something bad really did happen to Greg. At this point I'm gonna need "Proof of Life" on Mr. Bone!

Proof of life! Proof of life! Mr. Bone, if you are under duress, blink 3 times.

#345 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

As he started a new business with his wife and family my Guess is he probably decided his priorities were better spent focusing on that vs the unpaid, under appreciated, time consuming hobby of pinball entertainment? He contributed to helping his friend build a foundation and maybe wants to move on or limit his and his family’s time to the Life of pinball. I could be wrong. Or, he was abducted by Hoosier aliens!

Under appreciated by whom? Not this fella! Much appreciation from me, and a lot of other pinball fans.

#349 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not saying you nor me just an observation to the criticism many of these pinball content providers get. For all the time, cost, work, research, etc they do with virtually No compensation it always amazes me how many criticize the content or effort? There is no Way I would dedicate that much of my or my family time to this rather unappreciated effort personally. I appreciate and applaud Anyone that makes this effort as it is not as easy as it looks. The talent and skills they all share for Free seems hard to judge or critique. Not surprised many walk away from the effort in short order.

Agree with everything you said, except that its an unappreciated effort. I think a few bad apples can certainly make it seem that way, but the vast majority of us out there DO appreciate the work that Zach, Dennis, Ken, and all the other content creators do. The jerks out there tend to be the ones that get remembered. I always try to to leave a "like" on creator videos and Facebook posts, but that doesn't always hit as hard as someone saying something negative.

Also, one thing to remember is that by creating pinball media, these guys have gotten the opportunity to meet a lot of amazing people and have some cool experiences. Be they touring a manufacturers' facilities, talking with designers and fans, and even making new friends. That's something these creators wouldn't necessarily have gotten to do otherwise, and they've gotten to be an important part of a lot of pinball fans' lives. Which is pretty neat. Not to be too mushy!

And appreciation is one of the main reasons we have the TWIPYs. It's an opportunity to say "thank you!" and "good job!" to people doing great things in the hobby and pinball industry.

#377 4 years ago

Really enjoyed "Silverball Chronicles" with David and Ron. When I first pressed play, I didn't realize that it was a Pinball History podcast. What a great idea! It's a nice change-of-pace from the typical pinball show. Being newer in the hobby, I only knew some of Steve Ritchie's history. Loved how you guys went into detail on specific pins, as well as the characters behind them.

Really enjoyed this first episode, and I can't wait for more. Thumbs Up!

#393 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

If only you actually knew man. Sad to see someone vomit like that and not realize so many things. Thanks for the continued love and support and my apologies for your hate toward me with no reason. Keep em coming, better me than you aiming hatred at others that I consider friends. I’ll take the arrows.

Hot Damn. That's a lot of hate aimed your way Zach! Really sucks someone would go so far out of their way to bash you, especially when they supposedly used to be Team Zach. He's not someone I'd want on my team! Just know my friend that a lot of us out there are rooting for the Network and rooting for you Zach Meny. Thanks for not giving up on Pinball Media in spite of some really out-of-line abusive stuff.

Still flabbergasted someone would post vile garbage like that. Most of what he said makes no sense to me. I think you guys did a great job on episode 2, and you definitely had a nice balance of opinions, and each one of you three were given a chance to self-promote. I wish people like delt31 could learn some empathy, and realize the kind of damage that they're doing to their fellow human beings. Really awful.

Really sorry you have to deal with crap like that Zach. I hope fools like that don't drive you out of podcasting and making videos. We've lost too many all ready. And don't feel bad about promoting FlipNout, it makes sense to do it, and no reasonable person has an issue with it.

#394 4 years ago

By the way, even though Jason dropped out, I'm glad we still got a mid-week Pinball Show last week. Hopefully, you can keep doing them. Although, I'm sure it's a lot of extra work, since that was supposed to be someone else's baby.

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Why would you start out a new podcast with an almost endless tirade rediculing and belittling thoose concerned with quality issues?
    It makes zero sense to me and I turned off.
    Pity.

We musta listened to different shows. I have no idea what you're talking about. Honestly.

#408 4 years ago

Real sad when creators have to "armor up" just to go into their own thread. This thread should be a place for announcements, positive discussion, and (where needed) constructive criticism. It shouldn't be a place for personal attacks on creators. If someone dislikes a show or host strongly, then they should just move on. No need to trash and bash the content creator, unless they've done something seriously morally or ethically wrong. Uncalled for and mean-spirited bashing is why some creators have decided not to participate in Pinball Media anymore. Or why a lot of them have gone silent on Pinside.

Quoted from Globalcop:

Businesses also pay for market research, listeners are providing feedback here for free. Your advice cuts both ways. If people don't want the feedback, don't read it. What you're basically saying is, "don't write your thoughts." I always wondered where that motive comes from and where it leads. Let all voices be heard.

I don't think telling Zach how much he sucks these days is actual worthwhile feedback. Don't compare being asked to not be a jerk, to having your free-speech curtailed by the government. You're more than free to start your own "TPN Feedback" thread, where you can level all the personal attacks you want against the creators on TPN, and you can go into great detail about how much their shows need to improve or about how biased they are. I just think it sucks that people have to drag that manure in here under the guise of "listener feedback." It's possible to give feedback and not be an arsehole about it.

#414 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Any examples of particularly rude comments?

Oh, I'd say delt31's initial comments are pretty personal, and pretty rude to Zach.

Quoted from Globalcop:

Everything here seems pretty tame, internet-wise.

The bar for human decency on the internet is very low. I'd like to think we could do better here.

Quoted from Globalcop:

I'd say the critiques of the shows are par with your critiques of the critiques.

Well, then I'd say you're wrong!

#485 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Sadly I can‘t record a newb guest podcast because my english wouldn‘t be fluent enough and I wouldn‘t do it without Mr. Bone doing his German impression.
    But hey you guys, as far as I understand it you‘re free to record a podcast, make everything better, and TPN will host it!!! -So go, go, go!!!

I like when he read one of your comments out on an episode of SDTM, and he said "Dammmiit Nadiiinnne!" in his best Southern Drawl. Good stuff!

#487 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Posting on the internet is not harassment, people need to chill out and try and find a little middle ground. We all have an ignore list and everyone is welcome to it. This whole thing that no one can tolerate anything they don't agree with is insanity. Today this discussion seems completely reasonable. There is no need to tell people to shut up or take a hike.

Quoted from Darscot:

That sucks it was a very good podcast and one I listened too. I don't get why so much online negativity is being taken so seriously and I can't say I like the whole keep your mouth shut and don't listen thing. My only guess is there has to be a lot more going on that we don't know about. I get the mental health thing, if the negativity is getting to you its time to step away. I just know I personally don't miss a blink of sleep over the shit people say here. I have on occasion responded to things I wish I hadn't, that does piss me off, I hate being sucked into the stupidity. That's on me though not anyone else.

With respect, I guess you've never heard of cyber-bullying then? People have fallen into deep depressions, and even committed suicide, because of things that are posted about them online. Maybe for you, stuff that's written about you online doesn't affect you, but the same can't necessarily be said of other people. Do you expect a person to keep visiting a website where others are constantly writing bad things about them? It's not really fair that they either have to tolerate constant criticism and personal attacks, or avoid a website that they previously enjoyed.

It doesn't seem right to me, and it doesn't seem like an issue with a lot of gray area in my opinion. But a lot of people out there lack empathy, and a lot of people are unable to treat strangers with even a basic level of respect. At this point, I'm beginning to feel ashamed of the way a lot of pinsiders are conducting themselves. Makes me a bit sad. Ah well, whatya do? You can't control other people, only yourself.

Moving on, I'm looking forward to the latest from TPN. I think we're due for a mid-week episode tomorrow!

#502 4 years ago

Well, I think this subject has run it's course. Before I bow out for a while, I'll just make a few quick responses.

Quoted from wesman:

...To wit, Kaneda gets quite a good bit of demonization on this forum. Are you, asking genuinely here, concerned for his mental well being also?

I don't think the constant Kaneda-bashing on Pinside is cool either. A couple weeks ago I made several posts stating such. As far as his mental health goes, Chris often intentionally makes trolling and controversial statements just to get a reaction out of people. Not just on his own show, but also during other people's live streams. I feel like if he didn't like the responses he was getting, he wouldn't keep doing it. So no, I'm not too worried about his mental health.

Quoted from Darscot:

I'm a software engineer for Electronic Arts on arguably the biggest video game on earth I think i know a little something about online abuse.

Well, you were acting like things said on the internet don't matter, and that online postings shouldn't have an impact on someone's mental well-being. Seems to run counter to your claimed knowledge of how online abuse works.

Quoted from pipes:

Wow, what a ridiculous exaggeration. Jeez.

Just call 'em, like I see 'em.

#644 4 years ago

Glad this thread is finally getting more fun, and less bitchy/depressing. I applaud the change!

Also, not to dive back into the well, but it's starting to seem like delt31 has a Zach Meny obsession just like k-man. Find it kinda weird that he feels the need to "fix" Zach. Not sure why it's delt's job to to mold Zach into his own ideal of podcaster perfection. With all due respect, last time I checked, delt isn't entitled to Zach's time, and Zach doesn't owe delt anything.

Unless of course, Zach and delt made a secret behind-closed-doors deal years ago, and somehow delt has been behind the man behind the Meny empire! Like a silent backer, who's a secret source of pinball machines and business capital! I love the mystery and intrigue this new discovery brings to light!

#646 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

throw us a BONE.[quoted image]

Someone needs to photoshop Greg's face over the Cerberus heads. Would be so awesome! If someone doesn't do it, maybe I'll enlist my wife's help. She's got a lot more photoshopping skills than me.

#666 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Listened to The Plumb yesterday. Just some honest feedback. Krystle G seems very intelligent and also very knowledgeable about pinball. What I don't understand is why was there a 15 minute episode of just "this is who I am and this is what the show is going to be about", but no actual show? I do realize it's good to have some background info, but for a first episode, it wasn't really an episode. Not a criticism, just an observation. I will certainly tune in to future episodes to hear more about the folks who organize shows, TD tourneys, run leagues, etc.

I am looking forward to hearing the next episode, but I was surprised when this first one ended. I was like, "Okay. She's finished with the background and introduction, time to get to the...hey wait-a-minute, it's over?" We'll see what episode 2 brings. Because the idea of a pinball podcast from the perspective of route operators and event organizers sounds like it could be interesting. Certainly different from the norm.

#726 4 years ago

Man, this thread was actually fun for a couple of days, but then someone had to go and kick the hornet's nest again. The subject of diversity is complicated, and it's very doubtful that any "conversation" about it on Pinside is going to accomplish anything, or lead to a positive outcome. Not saying that pinball-hobby demographics aren't worth thinking about or discussing, but maybe the TPN thread isn't the place for walls of text about it.
    -
    -
    Onto the Pinball Show Episode 3:

Another good one from the guys. I agree with Zach that it seems like Pinburgh needs to find a better way to do tickets. I hope Ken feels better, my wife's been down with something for a couple of days now herself. It'll be fun having Zach on the FlipNout stream with Ken in person. I wonder if Kaneda will pop by to say nice things like he sometimes does! I don't know how he could resist with Zach Meny actually on camera!

Now you guys just need to convince Den Den to leave work early on Monday, and make the trip to St. Louis. Then you'd have the ultimate FlipNout/Pinball Show stream. It'd be a murder of pinball podcasters!

#794 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Totally agree . I played in a Flip Frenzy at Ryan's C's place and it was a great day . It cost 10 bucks to enter and he provided drinks and pizza , probably cost more to put on than what he charged . The best part was meeting and speaking to a lot of new people and playing a wide range of games , some I hadn't played before . To me it wasn't about winning or losing it was just enjoying everyone's company and having fun .[quoted image]

Ha! I knew that when you said that you played a Flip Frenzy at someone's house, that you must be in Australia, before I even looked at your info. I'm starting to learn about some of the differences in pinball around the world. Still, that's cool that you guys in Australia have found a way to make the pinball hobby work, since you don't have leagues and things like we do here. Very cool!

#852 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Listening right now and at the 15 min mark. This episode is very low energy, don't think I'll finish listening since I have a few Howard Stern shows to catch up on.

Well, the vibe is a bit different on this one compared to the standard episode. Think it's because they had to record at separate times. Still worth listening to though. Can't miss the "Pinball Market Trends!" and the "Buy Buy Buy!" and even some "Sell Sell Sell!"

#872 4 years ago

I personally love the long-format, but I could see how some people might want it shorter. For me, I have a lot of drive-time and working alone-time during my week, so the longer the podcast the better, as far as I'm concerned.

#888 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Midweek Pinball News from The Pinball Show
    The Pinball Show Midweek Edition Episode 2: Frog Giggin' With A Silver Fox
    Hosts: Zach Meny & Joe Fox
    - Spooky Pinball and Chicago Gaming Company partner up to create a Ben Heck designed pinball machine
    - New TWIPY Hosts
    - Big Lebowski Early Achiever's Edition apron light show
    - Upcoming shows and events
    - This Or That?
    email: [email protected]
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-889qd-d58397[quoted image]

Listening to this episode gave me a great idea for a new podcast. It'll be called "Topper-Talk Karaoke" and it would feature lengthy discussions about Pinball Toppers, alternating with segments featuring Zach singing classic 80's songs. It would literally be Dennis' worst nightmare of a podcast!

#899 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lots of cool people from Indiana though. James Dean was from Indiana.

An old Army buddy of mine is from Indiana. Zach Tolle. Cool dude. Indiana = crossroads of America, right?

#907 4 years ago

Is this week's Pinball Show coming? Normally, it's out on a Monday isn't it? I know some of them were at Louisville, so that might have delayed taping. Plus, maybe they wanted to wait until Hot Wheels was revealed?

#910 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

Ken and Zach where at the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend. I'd assume they didn't have time to record and edit.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if the episode was just delayed, or if they're gonna skip this week.

#934 4 years ago

Just started listening, always fun when the trio is together!

On another note...boy, by the time my edition of Off-The-Record comes out, all my musings will be out-of-date! So much has happened in the two weeks since I recorded. If I recorded it today, I'd definitely have more to content to discuss. Oh well, maybe they'll let me do another episode sometime down the line.

For now, I'll just be patient and twiddle my thumbs another week.

#938 4 years ago

Just finished listening. Another good episode, but I gotta say Ken and Dennis are crazy for saying that Market Trends needs to die, and that Mousin' Around is a lower mid-tier system 11! In these uncertain times, now more than ever does the pinball public need the Market Trends segment to keep us going!

As far as Mousin' goes...I wonder if they've played one that's setup right? Because if you set it up right, and wax it, Mousin' can be one of the fastest and funnest-flippin pinball machines around. First thing to do is remove the end-of-ramp gates; normally these slow the ball down before it reaches the flippers, but with the gates removed the ball never loses speed down the ramps and just screams to the flippers. This makes it much harder to repeat shots/ramps, while amping up the fun factor.

As far as the center ramp goes, you can make an adjustment in the service menu so that the ramp-visor goes back up after every ball, and every ball-lock. This combined with the end-of ramp mod, makes it very hard to keep hitting that center shot over and over. And you have to hit the visor targets in order 1,2,3 in order to lower the visor and those are very risky shots, as center drains can happen easily off the visor. So I think if setup "correctly," you can limit the viability of center-ramp spam, while maintaining a fun experience that's still faithful to the spirit of the pin.

Not to mention the theme-integration is second-to-none with the mouse hole mystery/jackpot award, and the best ball-locks around. The mouse-trap locks are brilliant and are wholly unique to this game in their design. And did I mention this game is mean! It routinely beats me up. It'll be a long time before I feel I've conquered this one.

I could go on, but then I'd just be fan-boying! And in the interest of disclosure, I did buy a Mousin' recently, so that could bias my opinion, but I truly am trying to be objective!

#SavePinballMarketTrends #ZachWasRight #Mousin'Around

#950 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

No idea where you heard me say I want Market Trends to die??? I like Market Trends.

Quoted from ZMeny:

That was my fault haha

Yeah, I thought I heard Zach lump you in with the Market Trends naysayers during the last episode. But I'm glad to see that you're on the right side of history Ken!
    Of course you're still on the wrong side of Mousin' Around...but no ones perfect!

2 weeks later
    #998 4 years ago

Echo the positive words about Ken. His absence will be felt for a long time! I'm toying with calling in with a special song-salute on tonight's stream.
    On a related note, does this mean Greg might come back from his sabbatical? We all miss that fella! Also, how bout Zach does the FlipNout stream once in a periodically, now that the desk is open? Zach and Greg used to stream pretty regularly back in the day, and I'm sure people would love some pinball streaming from either of them.

1 month later
    #1086 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I made the mistake of getting on the tractor to mow without a backup listening plan and fucking got stuck listening to that entire game segment. Maybe next time the hosts wanna go into a game segment blind, they have a 3rd party listen and vet it? Or in the future, keep all game segments to their own gaming podcast?

Poor Dr John. It was a good idea at heart, but damn the way he did it was confusing AF. Still I applaud the effort, if not the execution!

#1088 3 years ago

Congrats Joel! I look forward to the continued future of JUSTAPP.

Also, while I'm here, I want to give a big shout-out to the awesome ladies that joined me on the Special OTR Round-Table last week. They did a fantastic job, and if you haven't listened try to find the time. They had a lot of great things to say, and I learned a lot from listening to them. Plus, they were pretty hilarious at times and some crazy topics get brought up (Hitler, Whoa Nelly, Sonic the Hedgehog, and a lot more).

If I could pull off something like this, being a complete pinball nobody, it means anyone could. So go out there an make some great pinball content for us all to enjoy!

1 week later
    #1111 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

So, Jack Danger and Zach Meny are arch enemies now.

Yeah, it's pretty damn sad. I'm not sure whether JD's white-knighting came from a genuine place, or whether it was just an excuse to start trouble. Either way, I do think less of him after the exchange on FB. Especially since John from Jackbar specifically came out and said that he didn't want Zach and Nicole to be attacked online, or have their business damaged. Jack D. was just very unprofessional.

And the extra sad thing is that there was a thread of truth in JD's statement. The fact is, Jersey Jack donated the TWIPY to raise funds for Jackbar. A very kind and generous thing to do. And Zach failed to give that enough focus during his initial rant on the subject. However, Zach's rant, and The Pinball Show in general, shouldn't be taken so seriously. Zach likes to inject a lot of humor into his podcasts, and I think a lot of his podcast persona comes from a place of trying to entertain and be larger-than-life.

And so while maybe Zach's TWIPY rant WAS a bit cringe; you'd have to be smoking dope to listen to Zach's rant and think that he was in any way criticizing Jackbar, or wishing any sort of ill towards John or Jackbar. And that kind of thing is just not Zach's MO whatsoever. I do honestly question what Jack's MO is now though. Hopefully, Jack Danger can try to be a bit more positive online going forward, and hopefully he can handle his disagreements with a bit more professional courtesy and respect as well. Because the thing is, you wouldn't catch Dwight Sullivan or George Gomez or any other Stern employee making public statements like that. And despite the semantics of being a "contract employee", Jack Danger does still represent Stern and he still works for them on a regular basis.

----

Also, I agree Jack and Zach do need to hoops battle it out once and for all. Although, Jack is so damn tall you'd need to have some sort of handicap to make it fair. Maybe Jack plays on his knees?

#1116 3 years ago

Quoted from gecko157:Can we just have Craig for now on as cohost and no more Dennis please. His personality really kills the vibe of the show, hard to listen to someone be contradicting all the time just for the sake of being contradicting. Downvote me for my opinion, I don’t care.

While I don't agree with your stance, I do think that TPS may eventually get a 3rd host again. That way Dennis can go back to alternating weeks with EGP. Because it does make a very long day for him when he records TPS and EGP back-to-back.

Quoted from J-Freeze:

Hell, I WAS smoking dope and I didn't see it.
    And my money would be on Zach without a handicap, he seems like he would be more coordinated or athletically inclined.

Brilliant comment!

#1131 3 years ago

Well, let's try not to all pile on PoMC here. While I've never found volume spikes while listening to TPS to be an issue. I generally listen in my car or through my phone though. To those for whom it is an issue, maybe your default volume is too high? Otherwise, maybe Zach isn't using enough range compression when he's mixing the audio?

Rather than lashing out at Zach, you could make some constructive comments like SKWilson did. Here are another couple examples of constructive comments:

-Can you increase your audio range-compression? My ears are getting blown out during peaks when you yell, and at other times the volume is too low for me to hear.

-Can you edit in some kind of warning beep before a volume spike? That way I'd know to quick turn down my volume, or removed my headphones for a few seconds.

Just a few ideas from my end. You catch more flies with honey, as they say. To paraphrase an expression I heard, "No, you're not wrong, but you are an ass."

#1149 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inpw:

"One of the cheapest options on the market"? This is beyond ridiculous. I get that some people actually like the JP topper - different tastes and all. BOM and effort wise, it's still something Stern should be ashamed for putting out. Sorry, Zach, but to me you've lost all honesty and integrity. I'm sure you're a nice guy and a great distributor, but I don't like being taken for an idiot. I applaud TPN for great shows like Pinball Chronicles, The Plumb or Just Another Pinball Podcast and will continue to listen to them, but for me, that's it for TPS. It's sad to think SWL, Slap Save and others disappeared for this infomercial.

Was Dennis not there to provide a counter point? And is Zach not allowed to have an opinion different to your own? They discuss many topics on the podcast; it seems silly to me to write off an entire show because occasionally one of the hosts has a different take than you on a particular subject.

But to each their own I guess!

EDIT: Also, people need to lighten up a little!

#1151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inpw:

Of course he's allowed to have his own opinion. I don't even mind it, it's just the way it's presented that comes across as less than honest. It's like a used car salesman trying to present a Fiat as a Ferrari. If you like Fiat, great, but don't try to convince me it's the best car ever built. I also would't dismiss the show for a single episode, but it's been like this since the start. It grates on my nerves, and it's reached the point where it's just no longer worth my time.
    Look, I've got nothing personally against Zach, and I know my take on it doesn't matter in the big picture. I don't take myself that seriously. It's no big deal, just a personal decision.

I hear you, and I appreciate your point-of-view. And I get not agreeing with Zach on the JP topper issue; I didn't really agree with him either on most of his topper talking points. That's why I appreciate that he has Dennis as his co-host. Dennis often disagrees with Zach and/or provides a devil's advocate perspective on issues like the JP Topper. In this particular case, Dennis was very vocal about the issue, and even did a bunch of topper research.

So while maybe individually Zach doesn't always provide a balanced look at issues like creeping topper/pinball prices; when you include Dennis in the mix, then as a whole the TPS show DOES provide a balanced look at these issues. In my opinion anyway.

#1186 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

What the fuck are you doing giving stranger things a god damn B+? You have an agenda. Period.
    I can't wait to see how you rave about the flaming turd that Heavy Metal is going to inevitably be.

I don't know that he sells this. If he sells it: B.

I mean these days none of the major companies release "turds". Some games come out and are more divisive, but all of them are at least half-decent, or have redeeming qualities. Cost aside, it's a good-time to be a pinball buyer. BKSOR has it's haters, but it also has plenty of fans. Same with Stranger Things pinball...plenty of people actually DO like it. Look, Zach tries to be positive pinball guy. He was giving good reviews to pins even before he became a distributor. He just loves all pinball and it shows. But I guess some people in this hobby can't believe that a content creator like Zach is genuine. Well, it's not up to Zach to convince you that he's honest, and it's not up to you to "fix" him or his content.

Speaking of honesty, I think anyone who would come into someone else's thread and shit all over their efforts and their character is a pretty crappy person. You don't know Zach personally, and yet you still want to get your digs in and question his character. If you don't value his opinion or his character, then don't listen to or watch his content. You don't need to come in and be an asshole and stir up trouble. That's a jerk move. People like you are ruining the online-side of this hobby. Don't like a creator, then just move on and don't let the door hit you in the ass. No one's forcing you to listen, and no one promised you anything. If the worst you can say about Zach is that he puts too much of a positive spin on his reviews/content, then really he's not doing too bad, is he?

And look, I love Todd, but do you know how many ACTUAL shit-games that Todd Tuckey sells with a smile? Nobody gives him a hard time, even though I've seen him big up plenty of terrible games. For instance, Todd has bigged up "Vacation America" on his show even though it's actually a pretty awful game, at least from rules/code standpoint. I don't understand the double-standard.

I hate the negativity. I kinda wish TPN had their own forum where assholes could be excluded. And look, it's totally fine to have different opinions or to not like something, but being a jerk or an asshole is never cool. Sorry, this got kinda of long. I just get annoyed with the negativity and the constant Zach-bashing.

#1238 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Taking a look at the chart of game ratings from SDTM. One needn’t understand understand the differences between polynomial analytics, trending or regression analysis to see an upward bias on display in both Greg’s and Zach’s ratings. You don’t need a background in probability, statistics or tassology either.
    To better use the spectrum of grades, existing ratings should be “normalized”. That means an average, solid game would receive a C rating. If a game was less than average, by definition it should receive a grade of D or lower. The resulting chart of ratings should be compared against ideal distribution percentages. A - 15%, B - 25%, C - 40%, D - 15% & F - 5%. There should be at least 1 game with an F. If reviewer doesn’t have an F rated game listed yet, they need to review a game that deserves it. Seeing that would give me confidence in the process.

I see your reasoning, but I think their letter grades reflect a grading scale consisting of ALL pinball machines, not just the ones they've reviewed. They mostly review newer games, and generally Zach and Greg only review pins that at least one of them owns, or owned in the recent past. And since they're unlikely to buy a bad game for their personal collections, they're unlikely to review a bad game. So naturally that would skew the grade distribution to the upper end.

Like if Zach and Greg reviewed the BTTF pin, or the DE Simpsons game, or something like Hardbody, then you'd probably see some F's and D's on their score chart. So the lack of D and F grades doesn't represent any flaws in their system or grading scale. It just reflects Zach and Greg's buying preferences. Like maybe Black Rose is a C or D game if you're only comparing it to modern Sterns or JJPs, but it's definitely at least a B or B- when you add games like Thunderbirds or Shaq Attack to the mix. You get me?

Besides, why look at just the letter grade to their pin reviews. They go into a lot of detail describing how they got to the grade. Surely the reasoning behind the grade is more important than the actual letter anyway.

#1278 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Join Steve, Moppy, and the rest of the Puppet Palz gang as they discuss, dance, and sing their love for pinball.
    EPISODE ONE COMING SOON!
    Until then, follow The Puppet Palz by subscribing to The Pinball Network and by following The Puppet Palz at facebook.com/PuppetPalz
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-v4mg4-df8a98[quoted image]

Two places that are MUST STOPS anytime my family and I are in the Pacific Northwest:

1. Ground Kontrol Arcade - Awesome place with a great selection of pins and arcade games. My personal favorite arcade / pinball bar.

2. Portland Puppet Museum - Quirky place with some amazing puppets such as an original Lamb Chop and original set-used Daniel Tiger.

I feel like the puppet museum would freak Greg out! Those eyes staring at you! Although the second image isn't actually the Portland Puppet Museum, I just thought it was freaky! And people think Rudy is bad!

101296839_1943892782409568_3380729283084288000_o (resized).jpg101296839_1943892782409568_3380729283084288000_o (resized).jpg1280px-Vent_Haven_Museum_(8033482103) (resized).jpg1280px-Vent_Haven_Museum_(8033482103) (resized).jpg
    #1301 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

JD and ZM really being "enemies" now (starting with that Jackbar misunderstanding)?!
    Sounds a lot like background quarrel about exclusivity agreements.
    (Wich is understandable, but very unfortunate how it went down.)
    But banning Zach from the stream,... uh... srsly?!

Oh yeah, not to turn this into a bash-thread, but I think JD is a pretty garbage person these days for how he's been treating people (particularly Zach & Co). JD adopts this chill surfer-dude vibe on camera, but obviously behind-the-scenes he's something else. Which is sad, because he's done a lot for pinball and I used to love watching his streams. Now I'll only watch if he's doing a game reveal, but even then that's in spite of his presence.

-

On a positive note, I see AP is now posting links to the SDTM videos. So that was nice to see today, even if they were a bit late with it. It would be a shame if AP's relationship with SDTM was tarnished after this. Hopefully once the dust settles Zach and Greg can still work with them again someday.

#1315 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Oh yeah, not to turn this into a bash-thread, but I think JD is a pretty garbage person these days for how he's been treating people (particularly Zach & Co). JD adopts this chill surfer-dude vibe on camera, but obviously behind-the-scenes he's something else. Which is sad, because he's done a lot for pinball and I used to love watching his streams. Now I'll only watch if he's doing a game reveal, but even then that's in spite of his presence.
    -
    On a positive note, I see AP is now posting links to the SDTM videos. So that was nice to see today, even if they were a bit late with it. It would be a shame if AP's relationship with SDTM was tarnished after this. Hopefully once the dust settles Zach and Greg can still work with them again someday.

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I want to state clear that when I initially wrote that "enemy" thing (regarding "the Jackbar incident") I meant that as a joke.
    I kind of still hope this is a terrible misunderstanding.
    (Like JD "banned" Zach because of that Jackbar thing and it's just still active because he forgot?)
    With the thing that went down, I'd just say that was bad communication.
    I have no clue what really happened, so everything I say is purely speculative. But Corona puts most of us in a pinch, and if you watched JDs live streaming of TMNT, wich was at Twitch's front page, that viewer numbers were incedibly low compared to usual. Don't forget that he, as well as Zach for selling games, makes his living off of that and therefore I can fully feel he insists on beeing the first person to show the game in detail, if that is what was agreed on.
    That said I don't think the SDTM Videos or JD Streams add more to each other then they take from one another.
    I guess that was a quarrel about the leftover "scoop".
    The situation is unfortunate, BUT the nice thing is we don't need Kaneda anymore to stir up some drama!

The thing is, I don't hate anyone and I'm not really angry. I just dislike hypocrisy and two-facedness. I find JD's behavior lately to be frustrating, and I think his actions are hurting the pinball community and creating awkward situations. For instance, the SDTM videos and gameplay within, did nothing to take away from the HW stream. The SDTM videos just gave everyone a taste of the game, and then DF's stream was the main course. I saw the SDTM video before it got taken down, and it actually made me more excited to watch Jack's stream, not less. And yet JD still had to complain to American Pinball anyway, and I think that was a big factor in creating the awkward video-takedown and re-edit situation. And of course, AP shoulders much of the blame here too.

But anyway, the Pinball Media roller coaster rides on! And it was great getting a new SDTM video with Greg, and it was nice to see him so involved in promoting it on social media. He's been on a bit of a hiatus for a while, and so I hope with these latest videos it means that he's back. Because I think everyone can agree we need more Greg and Zach being ridiculous together in pinball videos. Zach Meny and Greg Bone - The Wayne and Garth of pinball! Shwing!

#1316 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I guess I'm confused by the nature of Jack's association with Stern. He is an employee of sorts of theirs, yet does other company videos too? Why would other companies have him stream their stuff when he clearly is in stern's pocket?

Good questions. My understanding is that he's a "contract employee" of Stern, meaning he isn't "technically" an employee of the company, even though he works for/with them all the time. And so I guess he uses that loophole to it's fullest. When JD inks deals to stream Stern's new games, he must have a non-exclusivity clause in there that still lets him work with other pinball companies too if he wants. Smart of him, not so smart of Stern. If I was Stern, I would probably not want him to stream-premiere competitor's games. And the thing is JD needs Stern more than Stern needs him--I think at least 90% of Jack's collection of pins are actually just loaners from Stern HQ.

But I agree, Stern and JD do go hand-in-hand, and so I do think it's a little weird that AP would use him for their promotion. Kinda like how JJP doesn't use Dead Flip when premiering or promoting games. They've worked with Buffalo Pinball and SDTM in the past instead. Oh what tangled webs are weaved in pinball!

#1321 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

... because he wanted to still be the "pinball Ambassador" for all. - I think he does a good job with it and when the manufacturers don't care, why should us?

But we love to navel-gaze, over-analyze, and find things to be upset about on Pinside! It's kinda our shtick!

#1326 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

While I was not involved in all the conversations Zach had with the American Pinball team, from my perspective, and what I know, what Zach has said is not a totally accurate account of what happened, and as everyone knows there is always more than one side to the story. I'm not going to try address this here, but as I told Zach, I'm happy to come on a podcast to talk about Hot Wheels, and when that happens, I would certainly be open to talk about the rollout.

I'd love to hear that podcast!

#1346 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

Hey all, I was told my name was coming up in this thread and just wanted to pop by to clear the air.
    I cleared this with AP.
    So there was a bit of confusion and unnecessary drama recently with the launch of a game last week as there was some mis-communication or mis-understanding between some media outlets and AP on the Hot Wheels launch, that apparently resulted in AP asking them to make changes to what they posted.
    Despite what some may say or believe, and despite my having made a comment about it, I was not involved in it, I was not some evil mastermind, I was focused on preparing for and doing a kick ass stream for the launch of Hot Wheels.
    I feel bad the AP folks are having to deal with this distraction vs enjoying the release of a great machine and they clearly worked long and hard on and I’m not loving getting pulled into this drama when I really was not involved.
    It was a great time with the Josh and Michael from AP, and yes a reveal with tequila is a good thing, and I look forward to getting my hands back on a hot wheels soon.
    Great unboxing vids, gents, I think we all created a great media rollout in the end. Excited for the next one!

Very interesting. Since you've cleared the air on the Hot Wheels rollout, could you also clear the air on your relationship with other pinball media outlets and personalities? You've very publicly argued with and initiated a lot of drama with Zach and other members of his circle on social media. I'd love to know what your goals are, and if you are still committed to being a Pinball Ambassador for All?

If so, would you be willing to publicly declare your desire to put aside any differences with other pinball media outlets and with other other pinball personalities? And could you commit to just trying to get along with everyone in the community? I'd love for the positive attitude that you project on stream, to extend to the rest of the pinball community, including people associated with FNO, TPN, and SDTM.

It'd be awesome if everyone could just hug it out, and try to move forward with mutual respect. Pinball was certainly better off before the bitterness and arguing kicked off.

#1354 3 years ago
    Quoted from eharan:

I couldn't agree more! I have lost all respect for JD, I won't watch any of his streams anymore, he is being a complete DB! Not sure why he hates Zach so much, Zach has been completely professional in all this. More so than I would be!

Listen, that wasn't my proudest wording. I was pretty fired up, and that was truly how I was feeling at the time. Really I just wish that everyone would get along and act professionally both publicly and behind-the-scenes.

Quoted from yancy:

Sigh, it was bound to go down this road no matter how diplomatically Jack worded it.

What road is that? Jack did word his statement very well, but that statement doesn't necessarily match Jack's previous actions and statements.

Because reading Jack's statement on the previous page, he is making it sound like all he wants is a professional and respectful relationship with Zach and TPN, and everyone else. In my post, I just asked Jack to confirm that really is his goal. Doesn't seem like a crazy thing to ask him, so not sure why I got so many downvotes. And look, I'd love for JD to be an entirely positive force in pinball. The problem is...his previous postings on FB seem to, at least at times, run counter to that. The very public posts are still up for all the world to see. So you don't have to take my word for it, and you can make your own judgements.

https://www.facebook.com/DeadFlip/posts/1570129899801490

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pinballenthusiasts/permalink/3276354965730741/

You might have to join The Pinball Enthusiasts FB group to see the second incident, but I recommend joining because it's very enlightening reading. You can see Mr. Positivity himself, Jack Danger, write some pretty unpleasant stuff to Zach and FNO, and you can even see Jack arguing with Zach's wife Nicole. Classy stuff for a pinball ambassador. Especially for the launch day of TMNT, a product that both FNO and JD are supposed to be promoting.

When reviewing both those FB threads, also do bear in mind that TPN always has had the goal of having lots of women and people of color on the network. And history is showing that progress is being made towards both of those goals. And when reading the second thread, don't miss the post where John from Jackbar publicly declares that he never wanted Zach or Nicole, or FNO, to be publicly attacked, or have their business damaged.

So I mean based on those two incidents, I question the sincerity of Jack's statement. But I am more than willing to give Jack the benefit of the doubt, and I truly hope that JD wants to conduct himself in an honest and respectful manner. Because as I've said many times, this bitterness and arguing and drama sucks balls! I miss the days when all the pinball media people got along.

#1362 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Sorry man, not gonna read that huge post. I'm interested in less drama, not more.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Could be that your pushing your idea of what everyone should be doing and acting like it's the only path to take?
    I really don't care aboot "positive forces" or being a "pinball ambassador" or whatever the fuck any of that means.
    I think if you want a bunch of dudes to do pinball shows and love each other and have a circle jerk, that's completely fake and not what the hobby is like at all. People, egos, people, scoops, leaks, pinball, people yada yada...human nature.

Look, people can do what they want to, but I don't care for people being assholes, and I'm not afraid to say it. JD is the one who wants to be the pinball ambassador, that's not anything I came up with. But if you're gonna be an ambassador, then you should hold yourself to a higher standard, or drop the act/title. And I made that long-ass post because there's a lot of backstory that some people don't know.

At least we agree on one thing Law, neither of us likes "fake" people. More than anything, I hate hypocrisy and two-faced actions. Which is one of the big things about the JD situation that annoys me. And I mean people getting along, or at least acting professionally, in public isn't inherently a "fake" thing. Of course personalities and egos will clash, but there can still be respect and professional courtesy.

Ah well, whatevs, I'm kinda out of steam now. No hard feelings towards anyone. We all have opinions, and no one has to share mine.

#1414 3 years ago
    Quoted from protocol_j:

You are missing the point. Do you not realize that some of your viewers and associates are doxxing a man and attacking his livelihood because you had to recut a video? Really?
    I’m not looking for proof. I honestly don’t care what happened to start it. It’s over, it’s done. What I do care about is the disproportionate response of an internet lynchmob that was launched based on hearsay.
    I have witnessed firsthand the abhorrent behavior on twitch of a few pinsiders and TPN listeners. I guess you haven’t, and honestly that’s probably for the best. But you can’t just sit here and pretend this is all someone else’s fault when all of this could have been easily avoided by not fanning the flames.

Come one J, it's time to drop it and move on buddy. We want to focus on wacky pinball puppet theater now.

#1415 3 years ago

Speaking of wacky pinball puppet theater...holy cow the first episode of Puppet Palz was a lot of fun! I had now idea how underrepresented the puppet demographic was in the pinball hobby. My eyes have been opened! And what a timely topic, let's follow Moppy and Steve's advice and try to all get along.

And oh man, my wife thinks I'm goofy enough for how much I like pinball, should have seen her face when I played her some clips from the Puppet Palz!

#1420 3 years ago
    Quoted from protocol_j:

Look, I love puppet theater as much as the next guy, but you can’t tell me to be quiet while a man is continuing to be doxxed over something stupid. None of us should.

Look, I suggested that you move on because I don't understand what the point of continuing to talk about it is, or what sort of resolution you are seeking. I've never heard Zach or Greg ever suggest that Jack Danger or anyone else should be harassed, ever. That's not really their thing. And since the whole HW launch went down, I never heard or saw either of them ever even mention Jack by name. They've actually been trying to keep things pretty diplomatic, and on the last TPS episode, Zach even still suggested that people go watch the DF premiere stream if they wanted to see more Hot Wheels action.

So if people are harassing JD, then A-that's a shame and not cool, and B-not remotely Zach or Greg's fault. They've both tried to move on from this business, and I suggest that we all respect that. What more needs to be said about it?

--
    I for one can't wait for Puppet Palz Episode 2, and I'd love a behind-the-scenes documentary about this whole project!

#1436 3 years ago

I wonder what Moppy looks like? Anything like one of these? Although the last one is a bit scary. Then again, just because his name is Moppy, doesn't actually mean he has to have mop-like features. Hmm...is it wrong that I'm wondering these kinds of things after listening to Puppet Palz? Are these questions that a 34-year-old man should be asking?

f3d85d7e2efd7a5ce17c1883cf9f43d4 (resized).jpgf3d85d7e2efd7a5ce17c1883cf9f43d4 (resized).jpgMel (resized).jpgMel (resized).jpgRed_guy_dhmis (resized).pngRed_guy_dhmis (resized).png
    #1456 3 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Yes, don't miss the end where they mock Kaneda and pretend he sent them a letter. I was actually enjoying the show up until that part.

Well, there are a lot of pinball guys with small New York City apartments. Not sure what size his apartment is, but CrazyLevi lives in NYC. So I mean, he wasn't necessarily talking about the K-man.

#1468 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

When it comes to Muppet Palz you are either a Kristin Bell or a Mila Kunis.

I'm definitely Team Kristen Bell

#1474 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

But she was not a fan of muppet theater if you get my obscure movie reference.

True, but she is one of my celebrity crushes, so she get's a pass! Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

#1481 3 years ago

I have to say, I highly recommend that everyone listen to the latest episode of Kaneda's podcast that dropped this morning. And that's not something that I usually say.

While I don't agree with everything that Chris says in the episode, I 100% agree with his call for the feud between Jack and Zach to end. He actually makes some very good points, and regardless of who's at fault or who is more to blame, it really does need to stop. The in-fighting is getting to the point where it's hurting the hobby. It's affecting business/professional relationships, it's dividing the community, it's frankly embarrassing, and I think the feud is causing people to say things that are out of character or that they'll regret later. I know I've gotten caught up and said one or two things that I wish I could take back.

Jack and Zach don't have to be best pals, but it would be great if they could both keep things professional and respectful. The pinball hobby is big enough for both of them to exist, and they both have their talents. I suggest that we all leave the old drama in the past, forget about who did what, and just try to move forward. Let's leave the past in the past.

Who'da thunk that Kaneda would actually be an inspiring peacemaker! I genuinely applaud his efforts in this latest podcast.

#1490 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Final Round Pinball Podcast Episode 10: Keith Elwin's Game #3 Revealed! (aka clickbait)
    Join hosts Martin Robbins & Jeff Teolis for this milestone episode
    - The week that was, including Martin's gameplay tips
    - KEITH ELWIN'S GAME #3 REVEALED
    - Discussion of the new game and more with a special insider
    - Topper Talk
    - Sponsor Of The Week #1: ULEKstore
    - The announcement of the biggest tourney EVER (on this show)
    - Sponsor Of The Week #2 (double digit show, double sponsors): Pinball Etiquette
    - Plus, recorded just recently a special tribute to the late Steve Epstein
    listen here: thepinballnetwork.net
    Instagram: @finalroundpinball
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-4dpma-e03bfd
    [quoted image]

Finally got the chance to listen to the latest episode of Final Round. What a good interview with Keith Elwin. It was great to hear his thoughts on pinball design, his own games, and pinball in general. Keith doesn't do that many interviews, so I thought it was a great listen. Nice job Jeff and Martin!

#1496 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Ep 19: Dennis Is Fired Up & Zach Is Trending Down
    Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny
    - Father's Day Love
    - Final Round Interview w/ Keith Elwin Discussion
    - Industry News Updates
    - Pinball Spinners and Ripping Them In 2020
    - Does Anyone Give A Shit About Pop Bumpers?
    - JJP Next Game Update
    - Spooky Rick & Morty Code Update, Unboxing, and Ownership
    - Kriesel Does Not Approve of Certain Pinside Threads and of Zach Singing
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Deals Of The Week
    - Viewer Deal Of The Week
    - The Pinball Show MVP: Stern Spider-Man
    - Tribute To The 4-Inch Kriesel Clone
    fb: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-pkjrg-e0b266
    [quoted image]

Good episode gentlemen. I'm really enjoying the Pinball MVP segment. And I think the world needs a life-size 4-Inch Kriesel Clone bobblehead. I'd buy at least two, so that I can have a tiny Den Den on my desk and one for my car. What could be better than a miniature Kriesel bobbing up and down while you work or drive? Let's make that happen!

Also, shoutout to all the new streaming channels that have joined TPN, but I'm especially pumped that Fliptronic has joined the network. I've been enjoying their streams for the last few weeks now. They're a good team, they manage not to be obnoxious or annoying, they play a lot of interesting or lesser-seen games (such as D&D and JM), they pay attention to their chat, and they're located in my old stomping grounds of Austin, TX. So I can't recommend them enough. Plus, I think Becca's pretty cute, but then again I have a soft spot for redheads. Great add!

#1507 3 years ago
    just-when-i-think-im-out-ginny-pulls-me-back-in (resized).jpgjust-when-i-think-im-out-ginny-pulls-me-back-in (resized).jpg
    #1517 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

No not really. Theres a lot of things he believes in that goes against my personal beliefs and I will leave it at that.

How dare you have personal opinions that you choose to keep to yourself! If you're gonna dare to say that you don't care for a public figure, then you damn well better be prepared to engage drama-factor 5 and lay out all your reasons! Otherwise the downvote police will get you.

Here, I'll upvote to balance out your score, now you're back to black. But consider this a warning!

#1518 3 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I honestly do think he should advertise on Dangers show that is just a smart move for someone trying to sell pinball games and toppers. Jack's got the biggest audience by far, then maybe Buffalo Pinball, Kaneda would be up there top three I'm guessing. Don't want to leave out Pinside, actually they're probably the single biggest audience. Anyone trying to sell pinball games should advertise with those four companies without a doubt. Why wouldn't you promote your pinball company on those powerhouse outlets? Just smart business!
    And just to clarify, I don't decide to buy a game because of Jacks show, if I like the theme you had me at hello! LOL. With that being said if I'm on the fence and you see his livestream that could push you over the edge to buy or not buy. Jack makes all the streams a lot of fun, he gets the people who coded the games to explain the rules, he's clearly someone who's an influencer when it comes to buying pinball.
    Jack can do all this because he's based in Chicago he has access to all the designers. No one can touch that unless they head out to Chicago. It goes without saying honestly.

While I completely agree that having a distro associated with a successful streamer makes good sense, it's definitely not gonna happen on Jack's stream. But that's one of the reasons why there is the Flip N Out streaming channel. Synergy. Plus, it's just good fun.

#1528 3 years ago

Ahhh, everytime I think the TPN thread is back on track, then someone goes and ruins it....

tpn-thread-getting-too-peaceful-tpn-thread-staying-on-topic-time-to-light-a-match (resized).jpgtpn-thread-getting-too-peaceful-tpn-thread-staying-on-topic-time-to-light-a-match (resized).jpg
    #1555 3 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Hey zmeny, listened to your Monday TPN podcast about issues you had with the search feature on the Pinball Promoters Database on This Week in Pinball's website - you were right, the default search query was not ideal, especially when searching for more common words like "The" "Pinball" "Show".
    In the future if you find something that isn't working right on TWIP or you think is problematic, feel free to reach out to me directly instead of publicly complaining about it on one of your podcasts where I may not hear it! Or at least give me a heads up after you air it so I know about the issue and can address it.
    Anyway, we have fixed that problem in test. It should be moved to production tonight and be working perfectly tomorrow!

Hey Jeff, not to speak for anyone else, but I took Zach's comment about the search feature as more of a casual, off-the-cuff sorta statement. As a listener, I thought that Zach was speaking fairly extemporaneously, and didn't take it to be a deeply thought-out critique. I find it quite strange that listeners would've been harassing you about it, as I didn't give the statement another thought 10 seconds after he said it.

#1591 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Hello everyone, I wanted to announce that we have established separate RSS feeds for the TPN podcasts. The unified TPN RSS feed still remains, and will be the fastest way to see new episodes (as I have to manually handle these separate RSS feeds as our podcast hosting site doesn't provide this service, so the speed they update depends on when I can actually populate the changes). Note you will likely need to type the RSS feed directly into your podcatcher of choice, we are not pushing all the feeds out to the podcasting services (e.g., iTunes, Spotify, etc.) as the TPN feed already is in those locations. But, for those of you who only want to follow a few shows, I hope you find these helpful.
    If there are any playback issues contact me. I'm maintaining the feeds and system supporting them and mistakes may happen from time to time. Just let me know and I'll take care of it.
    TPN RSS Feeds
    The Pinball Network (main feed; all shows): https://feed.podbean.com/thepinballnetwork/feed.xml
    Final Round Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FinalThePinballNetwork
    Just Another Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/JustanotherThePinballNetwork
    Off The Record: http://feeds.feedburner.com/OffrecordThePinballNetwork
    Silverball Chronicles: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ChroniclesThePinballNetwork
    Silverball Stories: http://feeds.feedburner.com/StoriesThePinballNetwork
    The Pinball Show: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TpsThePinballNetwork
    The Pinball Show - Midweek Edition: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MidweekThePinballNetwork
    The Plumb: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PlumbThePinballNetwork
    The Puppet Palz: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PuppetThePinballNetwork
    Top 3 With Orby: http://feeds.feedburner.com/OrbyThePinballNetwork

This will be very useful for some people. Thanks for going to the effort Dennis. Personally, I'll just stick to the main feed. Most of the TPN shows come out so infrequently that I don't find that I have any trouble navigating them. Plus, I tend to listen to everything anyway!

#1596 3 years ago

No TPS this week? I can only assume it is in honor of Chris K. How magnanimous of Zach and Dennis to have a week of silence in honor of Kaneda's Podcast passing! Way to go guys.

#1600 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Correct, Zach is on vacation.

Sure...a "vacation"...that's what he's doing. I personally think Zach has fallen into a state of mourning/depression now that his arch-rival and frenemy Kaneda is off the air. It's like that episode of BTAS, when the Joker thinks he's finally killed Batman, and then falls into a depressed stupor. Because the Joker realizes that without Batman, there's no one to challenge his schemes and no one to try and outsmart or outwit. Without a rival like Batman, Joker found life to be less rewarding. He needed a Batman, a worthy opponent, to truly get excitement out of life.

Anyway, that's what I'm imaging is happening in the Meny household.

#1603 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Maybe pinside should just go into a 14-day maintenence hiatus. XD

Could you imagine!

1 month later
    #1696 3 years ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

Thank you for letting me know about this! I will adjust the volume on my next one to be higher. I'm also going to take "it sounded fine" and the fact that you started to listen to a 2nd one of my podcasts as you may have actually enjoyed them

Yeah, I've been meaning to mention that your overall sound level has been a bit low. I often listen with my phone in my pocket and most shows like TPS or Super Awesome are loud enough, but usually JAPP is too quiet for me to do that. If a show is too loud, I can always turn the sound down, but when it's too quiet I can only turn up my device so much before I max out.

Either way, good work Joel. Keep it up!

1 week later
    #1713 3 years ago

Early episode? Cool! Also, where'd the display output-adapter video go? #TooHotForPinball?

1 month later
    #1811 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

All of their stuff is. Just look for Pinball Network on podcasts.

Quoted from Fytr:

Is this available in podcast form?

Don't think so. Generally the TPN video content isn't usually mirrored on the podcast feed in audio-only form. But you could always ask Zach if he'd do it special this once. He used to do it for the SDTM stuff back in the day.

3 months later
    #2002 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

- The Pinball Biography Of Keith Elwin
    - JPOP: Where Did It All Go Wrong?
    - The Lost Pinball Machines: From Total Recall To The Crocodile Hunter
    - The Truth Behind Pinball 2000 and The Demise Of Bally Williams
    - Left On The Cutting Room Floor: The Mechs That Didn’t Make It To Production
    - Sega Pinball: What Worked and What Didn’t
    - High Noon: The Untold Story Of Cactus Canyon
    - Steve Ritchie: Fade To Black - The Late Years
    - Pinball’s Visionary: The George Gomez Story
    - The Evolution Of Pinball Code and Rules
    Just to name a few

Good choices, I'll add in my perennial Chronicles request:

-Ed Cebula the great and forgotten Data East designer.

He started out designing pins for Gameplan, and then he had a hand in almost all of the great DE pins, before dropping out of the pinball industry and disappearing. Who was this man of mystery?

2 weeks later
    #2026 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Fake Pinball Show

Say what you will, that's a decent launch trailer.

#2029 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah, especially the typos......

Well, typos show that they're comman folk. Helpz then stay in touch with the peple.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

And she's not nearly as sexy as Den Den.

Hmm, I always thought of Den Den as the cute little pocket man of the group. I think Pocket-Kriesel would fit right in on puppet palz.

3 weeks later
    #2077 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

NEW! Final Round Pinball Podcast Episode 27 - Dr. Zach
    Hosts: Jeff Teolis & Martin Robbins
    Special Guest: Zach Meny
    Martin & Jeff discuss:
    - Reach A Round Recap
    - The Pinball Industry Awards Recap
    - Zach discussing being a media darling
    - Making videos
    - Flipper Feels
    - Why Zach does not formally compete in pinball
    - Year 2 of TPN
    - Flip N' Out Pinball
    PLUS:
    - Sponsor Of The Week
    - Martin's birthday surprise & wish list
    - Build Your Dream Pinball Machine
    - Jeff's Most Overrated Machines
    - And More!
    direct feed to Final Round Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FinalThePinballNetwork
    email us at [email protected]
    Instagram @finalroundpinballpodcast
    Twitter: @finalroundpin
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-f4j5q-facf5c
    [quoted image]

huuurgh...that picture of Zach as Dr. Phil is incredibly disturbing, and I love it!

2 weeks later
    #2115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dokkaebi:

All that is great I info. I'm a newbie for sure. I'll look into the amplification settings and those Skype options as well. I'll probably go back and revise the interview see if I can even those audio levels out some more. I may have had my head in the sand just cutting and snipping. Didn't research the volume fixes enough

Not sure which version that I listened to, but for what it's worth it sounded good to me. Could easily hear the podcast on my phone's external speaker, not always true of a lot of podcasts I like to listen to. You sounded a bit quieter than Tom, but still perfectly listenable. And if I have the choice between the two, I'd much rather have the guest be the loudest and clearest person on the podcast. Which he was. Afterall, hopefully the interviewee/guest is doing most of the talking.

So it was good for me.

Quoted from rotordave:

Question - Bruce’s new podcast, I could hardly hear him at all. Kathie was loud. Sounded like Bruce was in in the next room with his mike off.
    Was that the same for everyone? Or are my iPhone speakers jacked up? (Was listening on my phone speakers while doing pin repairs)
    rd

Yeah, their levels were a little different. They did mention that they recorded in different rooms. The only issue I had was that the overall audio-level was little quiet for my listening device. I had the volume maxed on my phone and had trouble catching everything at times. That being said, it was still an enjoyable listen and I hope that they do more.

1 week later
    #2134 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Silverball Chronicles with David and Ron
    Episode 12: Pinball is Dying: Williams in the Early 80s
    Visit Our Silverball Swag Store
    https://silverballswag.com/collections/silverball-chronicles
    Episode Summary
    By the Early 1980’s Pinball was dying. Sales in Pinball fell from peaks of 9-10,000 units to 900 units in 2 years. Video was on an upward trend and that is where the coin op industry began to focus. Only 1 full time designer remained at Williams by 1982, Barry Oursler. To help fill in the production line some of the designers from the late 70’s reappeared.
    Join us this month as we discuss Barry Oursler, Paul Dassault, the battle of the Bi-Levels, the ‘Gar Family, Tony Kraemer, hidden back glass art and whatever the heck Time Fantasy was!
    Sources listed on thepinballnetwork.net
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-bnt46-fd96cb
    [quoted image]

Wow, I can't wait to hear this one. I need to play Space Shuttle again sometime. I've only played it once for like 5 minutes, and it didn't wow me. But that was a long time ago, and my tastes have probably matured!

3 months later
    #2384 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Interviews Episode 4: John Youssi
    Host: Matt Morrison
    Special Guest: John Youssi, Legendary Pinball Artist, Jersey Jack Pinball
    TPSI host Matt Morrison visits with John Youssi and they discuss the process and challenges of creating pinball art. Mr. Youssi also talks about limitations with artwork when working with licensors, the differences between creating fine art vs commercial pinball art for a purpose, lesser known details about working at Williams and the classic art packages produced there, keeping secrets and internal competitiveness in the 90s, his current working project with Jersey Jack Pinball, and more!
    The Pinball Show would like to express great appreciation and thanks to John Youssi for joinging us, as well as a special thanks to Jersey Jack Pinball. We believe that Mr. Youssi is a legendary artist in the pinball industry and his exemplary work is cemented into pinball history. His work represents the look of pinball more than most others and we are thankful for his contributions and talent.
    facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-jqdes-1065bbe
    [quoted image]

Amazing interview. Really good stuff; it was great to hear from such a longtime pinball legend like Youssi. Plus, I loved the "Can't say what I'm working on, but everyone one knows what I'm working on" bit. If that's not Toy Story confirmation, then I don't know what is.

1 month later
    #2429 2 years ago

I'm on Team Dwight for Harry Potter. I can picture a beautiful-looking game with illustrated art. And only using the book license gives them way more freedom. I don't want actor clip-art all over the game.

Even though it'll be waaay cheaper to license, book Potter will still sell like hotcakes! Zach is smoking dope if he thinks it won't sell. The books were megahits long before the movies came out.

#2435 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

That’s what I was going for hahaha

I got the joke. I thought it was pretty funny.

1 month later
    #2529 2 years ago

Good to have TPS back after the week off. But I will echo the sentiment here and say that you probably covered your bases the first time you called Martin and Jonathan out in the episode. Don't think we needed to hear about it a second time, that was a bit much I felt. Especially when those guys bring a lot to the table podcast and news-wise.

But hey, I'm just a lowly listener, and I'll take what I can get. First-world problems. AmIright?!

#2539 2 years ago

Wow, those t-shirts are awesome! Really like them a lot. Plus, that goat one reminds me a little bit of my Wife and I's submission from back when. But obviously on a whole notha' level! I'll definitely be ordering a few shirts. Fingers crossed that they're true to size!

TPS_TShirt_Goat (resized).PNGTPS_TShirt_Goat (resized).PNG

TPS Goat (resized).pngTPS Goat (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #2573 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

He really needs to hire a PR person for Homepin, let them handle all of it, and stop doing interviews.
    WHY would the company launching a new pin talk about the 27" hi-res screen on it and then in the same sentence say he's not a fan of it?
    WHY would he talk about negatives about the machine and not doing product pictures and gameplay pre-launch, aside from art.
    WHY would he go out of his way to hide who did the design and code for the machine (except that he was involved in both)?
    It's the weirdest launch of a machine ever. Even weirder than Thunderbirds.
    RIP Spinal Tap Pinball.

Yeah, I've never heard a company rep suggest that certain people SHOULDN'T buy their product.

I mean it's good if he wants to set expectations on rules depth, but man don't just flat out tell people not to buy it! Let your buyers make up their own minds. Reminds me of when Mike suggested that he didn't want Americans to buy Thunderbirds. The funny thing is, Thunderbirds was actually aired in parts of the US. My mom and uncles all remembered watching it growing up in the 60s and 70s.

Also, he conflates people who like deep rules with tournament players. They aren't necessarily the same thing. Plenty of competitive players like relatively simple games like Meteor or Hoops. And plenty of them don't actually own games at home. Likewise, plenty of non-competitive players like deep rules, because they only play at home.

#2586 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Phew. Alright, Zach. That was quite a load you dumped at the end of your show.
    You're saying TWIP was being paid a "substantial" amount of money by DeepRoot, without disclosing the monetary relationship? Was TWIP advertising DR? Or was the money in exchange for favorable coverage?
    Didn't Jeff go do a behind-the-scenes piece on DR... a factory tour of sorts... first? Are you saying that info was delivered with a green-colored lens?

Deeproot did sponsor some of the monthly TWIP videos that are broadcast on TWIPs YouTube channel. They're still up and deeproot is listed as a sponsor in the beginning of the videos. I know Sept. 2020 is one of them. Don't know if the sponsorship went beyond that or not.

1 month later
    #2666 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 79: The Middle Class Man's Pinball Podcast
    Host: Zach Meny
    Special Guest Cohost: Drew Boisvert, Host Of The Poor Man's Pinball Podcast
    - A Trip Down Memory Lane
    - Godzilla Impressions
    - NEW CODE: Godzilla V.0.79.0
    - Elwin Plays Second Fiddle On The Loserkid Pinball Podcast
    - Stern Pinball Announces A New President
    - Stern Pinball Releases Jurassic Park: The Pin
    - Subscription-Based Media
    - Short N' Curlies
    - Jersey Jack Online Connectivity Additions & New Code
    - Haggis Update
    - INDISC Returns
    - District 82 Reigns Supreme
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Saturday Nights
    - Flip N Out Pinball Chicago Pinball Expo Escalera SHOW DEAL
    - TPN Last Week
    - TPN This Week
    Order Official The Pinball Show & Other Brand Merch TODAY At flipnoutpinball.com #buybuybuy
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-yydxc-11090c8
    [quoted image]

Awesome to have Drew as a guest this week. Really fun. Does this mean that we'll have Zach co-host a Poor Man's episode sometime soon?

As far as the new JP homepin goes, the big improvement I see over the SW Pin is the code. I watched an old VOD of Jack playing the SW Pin, and he literally beat the entire game in 5 minutes on ball 1! There is just no code to that game.

However, with JP Pin, in the span of an hour only one of 3 really good players managed to get to the Nublar wizard mode. And no-one got to the second wizard mode. So that bodes well for better lastability. In fact, I'm worried it might be a bit too hard to progress. I do wish that completing the Dino modes involved more than just hitting the same shot over and over, but I understand the limitations they face, and scope they're going for.

Honestly, I wish Stern would release a slightly more expensive version with coin mechs. I would totally buy one to put on-route if they did.

2 weeks later
    #2722 2 years ago
    Quoted from alex_m:

If anyone is willing to summarize the Production Updates it would be appreciated. Kid is home with covid so will be hard to find time to tune in.

I'm halfway through and haven't caught any swears yet, so you could potentially listen with them around. Sorry about Covid, our family got it in January, and thankfully our daughter had minimal symptoms.

1 week later
    #2742 2 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Drat.
    If ever it's that Zach is hard up for a guest co-host, my dms are open!

Same, same!

1 week later
    #2771 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Where do we register our sdtm complaints about the lack of game reviews? Someone should be fired! Ok so SDTM has a library and summary of almost 40 game reviews. Interesting to see how Greg & Zach value pins. It is great too because this often includes current titles that are boutique. However, the glaring hole is the top 40 titles you haven’t reviewed. I’d like to see them done sooner so I can find out if they earn more than the B average. Seeing this list of games not reviewed, blows my mind. Put Top Men on this and fill out that scorecard.
    AC/DC
    AFM
    AIQ
    CV
    GZ (Elwin)
    JJPGNR
    Mando
    MMr
    R&M
    SS
    ST
    STh
    STTNG
    TBL
    TMNT (Stern)
    TOM
    TOTAN
    TZ
    WH20
    Wonka

Agreed, I'd love for Zach and Greg to get back to doing game reviews on a more regular basis. Both of new games and older classics. Some of my favorite episodes of the show are their review shows. I'd even settle for lower-production, quicker to make, review videos where the guys just chat for a bit, but don't do all the time-consuming game footage and editing stuff.

#2775 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 82: Upcoming Stern Pinball Titles & Giving Thanks To Jolene
    - I Am Thankful For You...and for Dolly Parton
    - Upcoming Stern Pinball Titles
    - A Cornucopia Of Code
    - Spooky Brings Their Knives To A Gunfight
    - Wonka Love
    - Haggis Pinball & Fathom Mindset
    - Dr. John Makes A Grown Man Cry
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Pincinnati Show Specials
    - Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes
    - Dream On Aerosmith, You're No KISS
    - Available Gift Ideas In Time For The Holidays
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-gfxuj-1143717
    [quoted image]

Whew! Scared me with that late-night episode drop. I was afraid that we weren't gonna get one at all this week.

1 week later
    #2803 2 years ago

Craig Bobby is the silver fox of the TPN Correspondents! He's got that Clooney early-gray thing going for him. What a stud!

1 week later
    #2834 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

I really enjoyed the PIA last year and was excited they were returning. Sad to hear the winners are just being trickled out on some social media posts with no actual show. It seems that TPN has dozens of talented folks with cameras and mics that could present them in a show where the community could watch with some anticipation and excitement.

True. And honestly, one of the streamers could simply read off the winners during one of their streams. Similar to how Zach and Greg did the first Twipys. It wouldn't need to be some massively prepared or edited thing. Just a quick live show, during an all ready planned stream.

3 weeks later
    #2897 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I agree. Joel does an amazing job on podcasts and streams- very entertaining and enthusiastic. You can tell he really enjoys pinball- He’s also very nice to everyone and takes the time to interact with all the viewers. Great work Joel

I agree completely. Sometimes I feel like we don't deserve Joel!

1 week later
    #2946 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Great show. PIA awards was very entertaining. Zach and Greg continue to be the best duo in pinball

Agree 110%!

#2949 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Now I can skip the show.
    I’d listen if it was in podcast form. But can’t watch an awards show of any kind.

You can play the show via YouTube on your phone, but then just not watch the screen. Put it in your pocket or something, and boom it's a podcast.

Also. GZ didn't actually win every award category it was in, and there were other non-game and non-2021 awards.

1 week later
    #2968 2 years ago

Love the production updates. Even if I don't have a game on order it helps with planning for if/when I do want to order, and it helps me decide when's a good time sell a game from my collection, or buy one on the 2nd-hand market. Good stuff. And with how much Stern's schedule has been changing, it's good to have the latest info.

I'm with Zach somewhat on the Indisc stuff. Loved watching the tournaments, and while it was fun to see a lot of these games the first time or two, it did get a little old seeing games like Argosy, Stargate, and Cheetah over and over again. Especially when some of them played kinda long for players of this caliber.

Also, so awesome to see Keith Elwin play again. Glad he did well, and managed to win the High Stakes tournament, even coming out of his semi-retirement.

1 week later
    #3018 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

*Follow up for the discussion on the latest TPS episode:
    Franchi posted last year that he was working with CGC and American Pinball- looking forward to see what he’s been working on. I’m a fan of his work- he’s had 4 great art packages so far.
    [quoted image]

I was surprised by Franchi's "no more Sterns ever" post. Since he's had both Gary Stern and George Gomez on his podcast post-firing. I always took that to mean things were warming up between the two parties.

So I wonder what caused this latest split? Either someone at Stern who isn't Gary or George has an issue with Chris, and they're powerful enough to prevent him being hired again (which would be a very small list of people), or maybe Gary found out Chris was working with JJP? Assuming the rumors that he did a Godfather art package for JJP are true. I think if you work for JJP, then that closes the door at Stern forever, given the companies' histories.

#3021 2 years ago
    Quoted from Insanity_Falls:

Baseless speculation on my part, but reading between the lines it sounds to me as if he got passed over for a major project that he thought was gonna be his.

hmmmmm

Yeah, good thought.

#3047 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

That’s not very nice. What did I do again?

Yeah Zitt, please be more specific!

#3061 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Still making them

And it still sucks. I owned one and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. No offense to anyone who had a hand in it.

4 weeks later
    #3152 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

The Pinball Show Ep 95: Texas Two-Step
    Episode link: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-67kmu-11e3cb3
    Host: Dennis Kriesel
    - Back from Texas
    - We Hear From a Correspondent
    - Weird Al at TPF
    - Micro Madness and the Tale of Tales
    - Pedretti’s Plans to Expand 2.0 Offerings
    - Cactus Canyon Remake Code Expansion is a Kit
    - American Pinball Updates
    - The 2021 TWIPYs
    - Pinball Market Trends
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast: https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/eclectic-gamers-podcast/

Good job Dennis!

For those interested, Kaneda had a tripod and recorder setup during the Mirco session, and you can hear the questions that were asked pretty clearly from the room speakers. Audio does go from loud to quiet, but you can at least hear everything that was said. A lot of tough questions for Mirco, and it does get very uncomfortable. Here's the link to the FB Live.

https://fb.watch/c46kGAQMEr/

As far as the Twipy awards go...well...I do have some thoughts. This is difficult, since I love Imoto and have spoken with her on several occasions, I know how hard she works, and I consider her to be one of the great ambassadors of pinball. But being frank, if you compare the 2019 Live Awards at TPF to the 2022 Live Awards , it's night and day. Judging purely on the online broadcasts, the 2019 show was smooth, the audio was clear at all times, the presenters transitioned in and out well, and at no point was I confused about what was going on, and at no point did I have trouble hearing anyone. The show seemed very professional and well put together. Whereas, the 2022 awards show was none of those things. And you can't even use the excuse that it was Imoto and Jack's first year hosting the live show at TPF, since 2019 was Zach and Greg's first year hosting the live show too.

So IDK, it makes me sad to say it, but Jeff really needs to take a hard look and figure out what changed between the 2019 awards and the 2022 awards. Different hosts are the main visible change. I have no idea if there is a bigger team behind-the-scenes that works on the TWIPY Awards Show, or if it is mainly the hosts who put in the time. But either way, we need next year's awards to be more like the 2019 ones, and less like this years. Maybe that means new hosts or a new team, or maybe it means Jeff finds a way to get Zach and Greg to host again.

Also, can we get some more light in that TWIPY Awards room? 2019 was nicely lit, whereas this year's awards seemed like they were in a dark closet with a single harsh spotlight.

1 week later
    #3191 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 96: Return Of The Zach
    - Return Of The Zach: Bigger, Bolder, Shillier
    - Reflecting On The Time Away & Goals For The Future
    - Catching Up: Louisville Show, TPF, & The TWIPYs
    - Media Fluff
    - New Rumored Jaws Pinball Title
    - Stern Production Schedule Updates
    - Stern Pinball's Next Cornerstone Game
    - Keith Elwin's Recent Interview Comments
    - Hoisting A Reporter Cap Into The Studio Rafters
    - Making It Rain Golden Nugs
    - Weird Al Pinball First Impressions
    - I Feel Like I'm Taking Crazy Pills!
    - American Pinball Updates
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Updates
    - Chicago Gaming Company Updates
    - Upcoming Midwest Gaming Classic
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Tennessee State Law
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-ddujr-11f7b48[quoted image]

Bobby Mueller had the #PINBARtm, and now Zach Meny has the #PINBARNtm. I love it!

Also, I keep hearing that Dennis is the nicest guy in pinball, but IDK. For some reason, I always get the sense that Dennis doesn't really like people that much. Not that Den Den is mean or anything, but just that he isn't really fond of most humans. So I'm always befuddled by people calling Dennis the nicest guy in pinball. Dennis is certainly one of the most well-liked pinball people though.

If we were going for truly "nicest" pinball person. I'd have to think that Joel Engelberth is up there pretty high on the list. I actually do think that Joel likes the company of other human beings.

#3232 2 years ago

I'm not sure what we're doing here? Obviously, plenty of games have significant features in the bottom 2/3rds of the pf, and plenty don't have them.

There are good games with lower pf features, and there are good games with mainly back-pf features.

So I mean...

cantweallgetalong-2018-Jun08-300x209 (resized).jpgcantweallgetalong-2018-Jun08-300x209 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #3251 2 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Thanks. I won't. Wasn't something of which I was aware until after it was over and I heard the ep. There were some other extenuating circumstances that made it more of a challenge, too. But not big deal regardless. And now that I'm aware, not something that will happen again.

Good job Blueberry! Fun to hear you on-air. For what it's worth, I didn't even notice an overabundance of "likes". I guess some people are more sensitive to that sort of things than others.

#3284 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Spiderman, No way Home is the third highest grossing movie of all time. Yikes, there really is nothing else to watch out there. I'll take your advice Zach.

I liked it quite a bit. I'd personally recommend it. Especially if you have any nostalgia for the older Tobey McGuire or Garfield movies.

3 weeks later
    #3331 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Tapes Episode 2: Sinbad
    Host: Zac Coligan
    One Game. One Episode. This Is The Pinball Tapes.
    In Episode 2 of The Pinball Tapes, Zac dives into an iconic 1976 Gottlieb System 1 pinball machine: Sinbad.
    References/Notes can be found @ www.thepinball.network
    twitter: therealtpn
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-p2a2n-122797c
    [quoted image]

We had a chimes-unit Sinbad growing up. Pretty fun game for the time. Lots of drops to shoot, and I loved the double-chime action during the bonus countdown.

2 weeks later
    #3376 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 101: Conceding Satisfaction & Wrastlin' Gators
    Special Guest: Greg Bone
    WATCH THE SHOW ON YOUTUBE - CHAT/COMMENT BELOW
    youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    - Gator Tater & Baking With Bone
    - Pinball World Championships: What In The Hell Was Keith Elwin Doing?
    - NEW SEGMENT: TPN Highlight Of The Week
    - You Decide The Outcome!
    - Breaking News
    - Con Air: The Pinball Adventure
    - E.T. Pin Home?
    - Stern's Sonic Troll
    - Top Stories w/Craig Bobbie: The Often Overlooked Smaller Companies
    - Pinball Brothers Wants To Be 'Worthy'
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Production Clarification
    - The Upcoming Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show
    - Shocking Data Coming From Pinball Market Trends 2.0
    - Unbelievable Upcoming Enhancement Collection From Medisinyl Mods
    - Zach and Stern Team Get Interviewed For Luckbox Investment Magazine
    - TPN Babies Content Winners Announced
    *** WARNING: ADULT CONTENT - VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED ***
    Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Network (TPN), the industry leader in pinball broadcasting.

Always a good day when we get more content from The Bone. Was almost an episode of SDTM.

Nice job with the video editing Zach. Love the price ticker during market trends. Is it based on real sales / prices? Seems like it.

2 weeks later
    #3414 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Big Thanks to Mike Winne for helping with this episode!

Hey, that's me!

Thanks for the shout out David Dennis. Great episode, and I was happy to share some of the info that I gathered.

I still need to actually use the info that I gathered, and finish my article. Someday, when I have the time...

3 weeks later
    #3441 1 year ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

Triple Drain would be a whole lot better if Travis would shut up and let Tom talk more.

You guys need to do a special episode where you all wear snuggies (or whatever they are called) like Travis. Would be so awesome!

2 weeks later
    #3505 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Glad they are running toppers again, sure would be nice to get a Munsters, Black Knight, Kiss or Ghostbusters.

Man, it would be so nice if Stern would run those again. They are leaving so much money on the table right now, even with license renewal fees, I think Stern would make a killing if they reran those toppers.

2 weeks later
    #3532 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

We went through all the steps of notable streaming boxes looking for a decent box over about 3 years, from Roku, Roku4 to Roku Premiere to Roku Ultra to Shield to AppleTV4k
    Roku sucked because they kept pushing broken updates. You'd get a release that mostly worked, they'd push an update and break something else. Hated it. We went through a number of Rokus and eventually maxed out with their highest level box at the time, the Ultra. Then went to Nvidia Shield.
    Shield was great until we needed HDR and their HDR colorspace was broken on our OLED (I think the problem was HDR10, but maybe Dolby Vision? I don't remember). After a couple years we went to AppleTV.
    We moved to AppleTV4k and it is pretty much the best box we've had for streaming. All our TVs have one now.

We've always used Playstation for streaming and been pretty happy. First, we used a PS3, and now we use our PS4. No complaints really.

Haven't gone to 4k yet for our TV. We've got one of the last generation of Samsung Plasma TVs, and it's still got such a beautiful picture, we're waiting until the next generation of 4k TVs comes out before we upgrade. I'm hoping for microLED, but it sounds like an affordable home version may or may not ever come.

#3534 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't wait, just get a mid/top tier OLED. We were all high end Panasonic plasma tvs but started making the jump to OLED in 2016. We have a 77" OLED in the living room and moved the 65" one from 2016 into a multipurpose room. It comes with the upgrade, but 4k isn't really the prize, it's HDR, which really makes a big difference in the look of content. The ONLY thing that is a downgrade with OLED is motion resolution. Panasonics in the last year or two before the end of plasma had full motion resolution (not sure what spec Samsung plasma had), which OLED does not. But off the spec sheet, I doubt you'd notice.

I'll consider it. Another reason why we haven't upgraded yet, was that we only got fiber internet in our town last year. So we wouldn't have been able to stream 4k content before then anyway. There's 4k blu-ray of course, but I'm not sure how much of a thing those still are these days?

Also, I just found out you were a major video game developer in the 90s and 2000s?! My understanding is that you ran Working Designs and ported Japanese games over into the western market? So cool! I was watching GameSack last week and heard Joe mention your name, and my proverbial socks were blown off.

Hats off to you Victor!

#3542 1 year ago

Woo! Finally Nicole is back in the guest chair. This hasn't happened since back in the TWIP podcast days.

#3547 1 year ago

What, you guys are thinking about moving!? But you only just finished the #PinBarn(tm)! I thought you had that sucker purpose built?

Also, nice job toning it down for Nicole. It was a softer, gentler Zach this week.

3 weeks later
    #3623 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 112: Shaken Soon
    - Zach Needs To Sell
    - Stern Pinball's New James Bond Game
    - What We Know & What We Do Not Know About James Bond Pinball
    - Stern Pinball Production Updates
    - Spooky's TNA 9.0
    - GTF!!!
    - The Late Queen
    - Bad Impressions
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Then The Show Flies Off The Rails
    Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Network (TPN), the industry leader in pinball broadcasting.
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-xcj59-12bfa18
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the Elvira updates Zach. I break out into a sweat everytime you bring it up. I've been on your list since April '21, and I'm terrified that Stern is gonna cancel the run.

But it sounds like it is still on Stern's calendar, so that's a relief.

2 months later
    #3819 1 year ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Any reason why I can't find this episode of Triple Drain on Spotify? It usually propagates pretty quickly.

They host the rss feed on podbean, and from there it goes out to the other venues. But Dennis said FB that Podbean is having an issue. Not fixable on TPNs end.

#3823 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Did anyone listen to the audio levels and quality before posting this? It was unlistenable during a drive because of the low level of Bill and the high volume of Amanda. No way to balance out the audio without not hearing one person and the other blowing the tweeters out.

Yeah, that is one issue that I notice on a lot on podcasts. I think a big part of the problem is that often podcast editors don't listen back to their episode on more than one device. It's important to hear what a podcast sounds like on a variety of devices, because the levels can be quite different between a phone speaker, a tv, a pair of headphones, and a car's sound system.

Also, I know from experience that it can be a pain to manually adjust the levels of multiple voices on a podcast if you don't have separate tracks, but it still has to be done anyway. I once had to painstakingly do this for a 3 hour podcast with 5 people on it, but it is possible if you put the effort in.

That being said, I know not everyone can commit that kind of time to editing. Which makes it vital that the podcast host/editor finds a way to record the different speakers' audio as separate tracks. This makes adjusting the levels trivial.

3 weeks later
    #3876 1 year ago

Great interview Zach, and congrats on finally getting to become a Spooky dealer! It's been a long-time coming. I can't believe I'm saying it, but you succeeded in actually making me feel excited for the Scooby Doo pin. No offense to the gang there, but after the debacle that was the HWN/UM launch and production run, all my enthusiasm for Spooky titles went away. But damned if you didn't get me just a little bit excited for this one.

Also, Frank Welker was friggin' Megatron dude. How badass is that?! Surprised that didn't get a mention, but then again he's voiced a ton of characters over the years.

Mega (resized).pngMega (resized).png

P.S. I loved Scrappy Doo as a kid, and still do. He's awesome--so much confidence for someone so small!

d121eaa96d89f699e50ec0c22889cb06 (resized).pngd121eaa96d89f699e50ec0c22889cb06 (resized).png

7 months later
    #4515 9 months ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

nothing to apologize for. Im not saying your approach is wrong. Im just thinking of the value and maybe you should think about another tier. 5 dollars for the show and not the other goodies like the discord. You may lose some of the higher tier folks but I bet you more than make up for it in volume. Just my thoughts.

I echo the sentiment. Would definitely do a $5 level that had full show access.

Also, please don’t tell me Dennis is actually gonna buy a Victory. That game is soooo boring to me. You can literally play forever by staying up top. But maybe it has a secret level of fun that I don’t know about.

#4519 9 months ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

It asks you to play the entire playfield. It's follow the blinking lights around the playfield.

I suppose I’ve mainly played it in tournaments where safety is the name of the game, no matter how long it takes to rack up scores.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-?tu=DakotaMike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.