3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,095 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 117 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

53435D17-922A-4D60-BB38-BEC3B488F313 (resized).jpeg
    86881039-8ADB-41EE-8919-62BD99FA0E7F (resized).jpeg
    5A03835B-98A5-411B-A046-7F95A19C5A73.png
    1A09553F-63FD-4626-BC3B-1FBC07C36F8B (resized).jpeg
    F4CC7B49-1B09-44DA-9583-472F29FDB4F0 (resized).png
    93B112D7-8AD6-4A5D-9485-5E0853A2DABE (resized).jpeg
    F6D9B6FC-83A5-4C36-94DC-1AD872D89332 (resized).jpeg
    F33EC0EC-71BF-4C8F-B914-5A1C83E89C91 (resized).jpeg
    4B2804E5-B14F-4582-9DB8-300A6F165CD3 (resized).jpeg
    E86F5F97-F3F0-4113-8F30-5A71BBC6396D (resized).jpeg
    580328D9-E284-4C6B-8413-76566487550A (resized).jpeg
    827CE205-2F2A-48BE-8049-D18B4155360C (resized).jpeg
    Silverball Stories (resized).jpg
    0705401E-F52A-472B-96D4-97F17F05C372 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200425_003415 (resized).jpg
    X17_justin_hailey_butt_071919_001 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#418 3 months ago

I think a lot of the vitriol on this thread is coming from the fear that our hobby has just taken another step in a more expensive and exclusive direction.

None of us here want to pay more, yet many begrudgingly do. Enter Stern with its preprogrammed surprise, and the future has just become frighteningly real.

We’ve seen shades of this model with the Pro/Premium/LE experiment... and pricey add-on toppers and game mods. Hell, I’ve spent hundreds (thousands?) on aftermarket mods And lights for my games. So, why wouldn’t Stern open this door? It only makes business sense.

We’ve also watched Every manufacturer crank pricing to heights that - just 3 or 4 years ago - seemed literally unfathomable. The old $10k by Christmas joke has been blown out of the water. And at every turn there more than enough buyers that reinforce these pricing strategies and encourage manufacturers to pump their next release a few hundred more.

Sterns Stranger Thing stunt is definitely eye opening and somewhat disappointing because NIB prices are already high and Stern is essentially making you pay more for a feature that was embedded at launch. It sucks, but I can guarantee that many ST owners are going to fork over the cash.

We all know it’s going to work. We also all know that it’s basically a physical version DLC, which is also coming to a game near you soon.

Big changes. Big money changes. Most collectors hate it. Many will pay for it. And the cycle continues.

As for the TPN. Not sure why anyone would waste any energy throwing negativity around. Podcasts are 10000% inconsequential and unnecessary for loving and enjoying this hobby.

I like them because They’re a place of escape where I can hear opinions and chatter about a hobby I enjoy. And also, as Kaneda has so eloquently stated, Pinball isn’t a hobby that 99.99% of friends and family really want to talk about. None... and I mean ZERO... of my closest non-pinball friends would want to talk about the Stranger Things kit. Nor would they care. Eyes would glaze over.

My best advice: smile and be happy. Don’t listen to anything that will bring negativity into your life. Listen to what you enjoy. Same goes for pinball... buy what you enjoy. Ignore the rest.

Let the TPN be. Let these guys enjoy themselves in a way that makes them happy.

I will add this: I completely understand why some of these podcasters decide to stop. They take so much crap from keyboard commandos. Why would invite that kind of weight and negativity into your life? Especially into a hobby?

Thanks to all of you guys that continue to pick up microphones and create content. I - for one - appreciate it!

#440 3 months ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Zach just defends all things Stern as justified and any criticism is brushed off as hate.

I totally understand what you’re getting at... and I hate all of these price increases and money making schemes just like you. But, I do t understand how Stern’s moves can’t be viewed as justified. They are a manufacturer built to make money. Every move they make - stripping down games, that cheap ass backbox design they use, parts that break.... ST kit... $750 toppers - are justified ways of making money.

Stern is not your friend. Stern is a business that can and will do anything the market doesn’t object to with its wallet. If the Stern’s latest cash grab idea doesn’t make money, they won’t do it again. And if they do, they’ll try another avenue.

All of us miss the good old days when you could snag a NIB pro for around $4k... when mod makers weren’t charging hundreds of dollars for mods and crazy lighting kits. But we the buyers have created what has become reality. It’s us and every company that builds games and hobbyists that create mods are totally justified by the market to continue pushing out products and materials as they currently are.

You have to look at this from Zach’s perspective. He probably sees these moves as reasonable because products are still moving. Sales are being made.

At some point you just have to take his opinions from his perspective. Digest the helpful parts and disregard parts that you feel are more or less promotional.

Ken and Zach both have relationships with folks at manufacturers. You’re not going to hear them trash people. That’s just a fact. Those relationships can be really helpful to content, giving inside access and bringing about interesting interviews. We all know what is what - take the good from it and when you feel like you need a good critics take, listen to Kaneda, Slam Tilt, This Flippin Pod, or evening Bro.

#480 3 months ago

#568 3 months ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

Great to hear from Den Den “The Curmudgeon” Kriesel again. I think Ken, Dennis and Zach make an amazing trio. Can’t wait for future podcasts.

I agree. It’s a great trio... nice balance.

#694 3 months ago

@stpcore and @zmeny

Episode 3 was a lot of fun to listen to... thanks guys. Eating crow segment was hilarious. Keep up the entertaining shows!!

#730 89 days ago

Would you folks please open another thread to discuss diversity... and let this thread focus on the podcast and podcast content?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 10.00
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside