(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast Ep 21: Live Or Die - Make Your Ch

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,810 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 minutes ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    final round 78 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 11.20.10 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 6.22.39 PM (resized).png
    triple_drain_new_logo_sz5v26 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 7.45.45 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 97.
    #401 4 years ago

For the record, I would love much more pre distributor OG SDTM Zach. OG Zach would have called out that UV BS in two seconds. Would have been a dramatic pause, SDTM camera zoom and him saying WTF stern. He knows it too.

The new I’m just a helpless distributor Zach (oh geeze shucks guys - I just want to provide everyone with free entertainment and expand the network....but don’t mind while I saturate you with Flippin out everything, look the other way when stern does us wrong and worst of all - criticize those who questioned obvious PF defects...BUY BUY BUY!)......that is what’s so frustrating. That biased view is poison and as someone that looked forward to hearing from him, it’s disappointing. I continue to think the ship can turn around which is why I tune in (I love pinball) but it doesn’t appear that’s happening anytime soon.

OG SDTM Zach.......hopefully you find your way home.

#402 4 years ago

I still love you but I don't get this beating around the bush regarding Greg for someone that does not listen to each and every Podcast.

Noone of course have to give us any reasons, but I'd be nice to know that he is out, or WHERE he is out.

So for instance, does that mean that "SDTM" is dead?

#403 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

For the record, I would love much more pre distributor OG SDTM Zach. OG Zach would have called out that UV BS in two seconds. Would have been a dramatic pause, SDTM camera zoom and him saying WTF stern. He knows it too.
    The new I’m just a helpless distributor Zach (oh geeze shucks guys - I just want to provide everyone with free entertainment and expand the network....but don’t mind while I saturate you with Flippin out everything, look the other way when stern does us wrong and worst of all - criticize those who questioned obvious PF defects...BUY BUY BUY!)......that is what’s so frustrating. It’s poison and as someone that looked forward to hearing from him, it’s disappointing. I continue to think the ship can turn around which is why I tune in (I love pinball) but it doesn’t appear that’s happening anytime soon.

For the record I think your comments are much more poisonous than what anyone says or doesnt say on a pinball podcast. Sorry you arent liking some of the FREE PINBALL CONTENT being offered.

#404 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

For the record I think your comments are much more poisonous than what anyone says or doesnt say on a pinball podcast. Sorry you arent liking some of the FREE PINBALL CONTENT being offered.

Personally, I think you guys should enjoy knowing you're such a large part of someones life. It's heart warming to know that someone cares

#405 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

If this stuff really bothers you that much. Just don’t tune it. It’s that easy. These guys do this for free. Is there some bias? Sure. Is there some promoting? Sure. It’s America. That’s free enterprise. They provide free content. They can say what they want. If you don’t like it, don’t listen.

Businesses also pay for market research, listeners are providing feedback here for free. Your advice cuts both ways. If people don't want the feedback, don't read it. What you're basically saying is, "don't write your thoughts." I always wondered where that motive comes from and where it leads. Let all voices be heard.

#406 4 years ago

This cracked me up.

At the 43 minute mark while discussing if the UV kit should have been included free for LE buyers. Dennis thinks it should have; Zach disagrees.

Zach: "ehhh"

Dennis: "Don't you ehhh with your shilling nonsense!"

#407 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

The new I’m just a helpless distributor Zach (oh geeze shucks guys - I just want to provide everyone with free entertainment and expand the network....but don’t mind while I saturate you with Flippin out everything, look the other way when stern does us wrong and worst of all - criticize those who questioned obvious PF defects...BUY BUY BUY!)......that is what’s so frustrating. It’s poison and as someone that looked forward to hearing from him, it’s disappointing. I continue to think the ship can turn around which is why I tune in (I love pinball) but it doesn’t appear that’s happening anytime soon.

Hell hath no fury like a podcast listener scorned.

#408 4 years ago

Real sad when creators have to "armor up" just to go into their own thread. This thread should be a place for announcements, positive discussion, and (where needed) constructive criticism. It shouldn't be a place for personal attacks on creators. If someone dislikes a show or host strongly, then they should just move on. No need to trash and bash the content creator, unless they've done something seriously morally or ethically wrong. Uncalled for and mean-spirited bashing is why some creators have decided not to participate in Pinball Media anymore. Or why a lot of them have gone silent on Pinside.

Quoted from Globalcop:

Businesses also pay for market research, listeners are providing feedback here for free. Your advice cuts both ways. If people don't want the feedback, don't read it. What you're basically saying is, "don't write your thoughts." I always wondered where that motive comes from and where it leads. Let all voices be heard.

I don't think telling Zach how much he sucks these days is actual worthwhile feedback. Don't compare being asked to not be a jerk, to having your free-speech curtailed by the government. You're more than free to start your own "TPN Feedback" thread, where you can level all the personal attacks you want against the creators on TPN, and you can go into great detail about how much their shows need to improve or about how biased they are. I just think it sucks that people have to drag that manure in here under the guise of "listener feedback." It's possible to give feedback and not be an arsehole about it.

#409 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Lots of talk about Zach & Dennis but Ken deserves huge credit as always for keeping the show moving and providing objective concise commentary.

Having said that, the fact that something is free shouldn't absolve it from critique although Delt could have probably gotten his point across less harshly.

#410 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Ken deserves huge credit as always for keeping the show moving and providing objective concise commentary.

Ken Cromwell is the reason I listen. One of the best in pinball podcasting.

#411 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Real sad when creators have to "armor up" just to go into their own thread. This thread should be a place for announcements, positive discussion, and (where needed) constructive criticism. It shouldn't be a place for personal attacks on creators. If someone dislikes a show or host strongly, then they should just move on. No need to trash and bash the content creator, unless they've done something seriously morally or ethically wrong. Uncalled for and mean-spirited bashing is why some creators have decided not to participate in Pinball Media anymore. Or why a lot of them have gone silent on Pinside.

I don't think telling Zach how much he sucks these days is actual worthwhile feedback. Don't compare being asked to not be a jerk, to having your free-speech curtailed by the government. You're more than free to start your own "TPN Feedback" thread, where you can level all the personal attacks you want against the creators on TPN, and you can go into great detail about how much their shows need to improve or about how biased they are. I just think it sucks that people have to drag that manure in here under the guise of "listener feedback." It's possible to give feedback and not be an arsehole about it.

Any examples of particularly rude comments? Everything here seems pretty tame, internet-wise. I'd say the critiques of the shows are par with your critiques of the critiques. Yours is the only post I see with the word "sucks" and other mild vulgarities.

#413 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I agree. Been on the sidelines giving this network a chance but this episode with my man Dennis (love that guy) just put me over the edge. I was almost there with the previous love fest with Zach making dumb jokes and defending stern’s decision with the UV light while the other new guy just laughed and laughed. But this.....wow.
    Tuned in and found out the other two folks I really liked (and gave me hope with their direct criticism in the past) are no longer in the network. Jason and The Bone. Big surprise. Disappointing for sure and I wouldn’t be surprised if the other salt (Dennis) leaves next.
    So I listened to the episode b/c of Dennis and right off the bat (Rick and Morty), Zach mentions FLIPIN OUT PINBALL did the commentary rule audio role better and first and then says you can’t really trust whysnow (Hilton) b/c HE is a supporter of Spooky. Zach is unbelievable. Distributor calling out another pinball person for being bias. Then he defends stern LE pricing and everything they’re doing with STh. He then reminds us he enjoys Stranger Things (emphasizing it’s made by STERN) more than the entire top 10 on pinside. An opinion I know but something that is SO ridiculous that poor Dennis’ head almost exploded. Considering who’s saying it, and the agenda, tasteless. He’s so busy spamming I’m not even sure he’s listening to his own words. Zach - please take a step back and re-evaluate what is going on. I remember picking sides at one point for SDTM (great idea) This is coming from a team Zach voter.
    I liked Fowler and his input. I liked Bone and hearing his view. Remember when this network was going to bring more visibility and have more content? Someone remind me where I can find their content now? Oh that’s right - it’s no longer available. BUT - I’m so glad we have MORE Zach. That’s what everyone wants.
    I only hope there is MUCH less Zach. MUCH less. Like the randoms podcast was much more interesting. Otherwise, let’s just change the name to what this is.
    TDN: The Distributor Network.
    Dennis - keep on trucking my man and if you bail, I don’t fault you. I’m now listening to your podcast (Eclectic Gamers Podcast). Good stuff.
    My two cents btw, don’t care to defend or go back and forth with posts supporting it. Down or upvote away. Just call them like I see them.

Of course the irony of this post is that it's commentary like this, that for better or worse, that has probably led to Bone leaving. So thanks??

#414 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Any examples of particularly rude comments?

Oh, I'd say delt31's initial comments are pretty personal, and pretty rude to Zach.

Quoted from Globalcop:

Everything here seems pretty tame, internet-wise.

The bar for human decency on the internet is very low. I'd like to think we could do better here.

Quoted from Globalcop:

I'd say the critiques of the shows are par with your critiques of the critiques.

Well, then I'd say you're wrong!

#415 4 years ago

Good shows so far guys keep it up.

Ignore the hate, it'll die down, they can only rant so long.

#416 4 years ago

Do you know what I care most about when it comes to pinball? Having fun. I had fun watching the stream last night and interacting with the hosts. The negativity makes it no fun. These guys are doing this for the love of pinball. Relax. Like the others said, don't listen if you don't like it. It's freaking pinball. You are probably wondering why your blood pressure is so high!

#417 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

Good shows so far guys keep it up.
    Ignore the hate, it'll die down, they can only rant so long.

Ok now this is hilarious

#418 4 years ago

I think a lot of the vitriol on this thread is coming from the fear that our hobby has just taken another step in a more expensive and exclusive direction.

None of us here want to pay more, yet many begrudgingly do. Enter Stern with its preprogrammed surprise, and the future has just become frighteningly real.

We’ve seen shades of this model with the Pro/Premium/LE experiment... and pricey add-on toppers and game mods. Hell, I’ve spent hundreds (thousands?) on aftermarket mods And lights for my games. So, why wouldn’t Stern open this door? It only makes business sense.

We’ve also watched Every manufacturer crank pricing to heights that - just 3 or 4 years ago - seemed literally unfathomable. The old $10k by Christmas joke has been blown out of the water. And at every turn there more than enough buyers that reinforce these pricing strategies and encourage manufacturers to pump their next release a few hundred more.

Sterns Stranger Thing stunt is definitely eye opening and somewhat disappointing because NIB prices are already high and Stern is essentially making you pay more for a feature that was embedded at launch. It sucks, but I can guarantee that many ST owners are going to fork over the cash.

We all know it’s going to work. We also all know that it’s basically a physical version DLC, which is also coming to a game near you soon.

Big changes. Big money changes. Most collectors hate it. Many will pay for it. And the cycle continues.

As for the TPN. Not sure why anyone would waste any energy throwing negativity around. Podcasts are 10000% inconsequential and unnecessary for loving and enjoying this hobby.

I like them because They’re a place of escape where I can hear opinions and chatter about a hobby I enjoy. And also, as Kaneda has so eloquently stated, Pinball isn’t a hobby that 99.99% of friends and family really want to talk about. None... and I mean ZERO... of my closest non-pinball friends would want to talk about the Stranger Things kit. Nor would they care. Eyes would glaze over.

My best advice: smile and be happy. Don’t listen to anything that will bring negativity into your life. Listen to what you enjoy. Same goes for pinball... buy what you enjoy. Ignore the rest.

Let the TPN be. Let these guys enjoy themselves in a way that makes them happy.

I will add this: I completely understand why some of these podcasters decide to stop. They take so much crap from keyboard commandos. Why would invite that kind of weight and negativity into your life? Especially into a hobby?

Thanks to all of you guys that continue to pick up microphones and create content. I - for one - appreciate it!

#419 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

...commentary like this, that for better or worse, that has probably led to Bone leaving. So thanks??

So bone couldn't stand the heat and his feeling were hurt so he retired. Hmm, that doesn't sound right.

I find the idea that because something is FREE, you have to all cap it don't ya know, it can't get any criticism pretty silly.

#420 4 years ago

I've been tuning in because I'm all for supporting anything pinball. My opinion so far is that there is a lot of great content planned and being offered. Overall that's a win for the pinball community. I do however think episode 2 felt pretty bifurcated in terms how the hosts were leading the discussion in regard to Spooky and Stern. I'm not sure there was one negative thing mentioned about Stern, but the entire R&M segment felt like they were really trying to beat it up. I think for TPN to succeed, which I hope it does, they will really need to focus on dropping their biases. Objectivity and fair analysis is what people want.

One last thought I had as I listened is concerning the TPN/Kaneda drama. I get that these people are on opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of their opinions, and that's fine. But to say, "We are all done with the drama" and then go on to do the whole fact checking thing and making other comments proliferating the drama is very hypocritical. All the podcasters are putting themselves and their opinions out there, and as we all know, the internet is a cruel place. The only way to handle destructive negativity is to just completely avoid response. To that point I'm trying to offer constructive criticism, so I hope no one takes it as anything but that.

#421 4 years ago

Listened to my first TPN podcast (episode 2) today and really enjoyed it. It's a lot of extra work to pull something like this off (and to do it well) on top of regular jobs, family life, etc. The more attention brought to pinball by those passionate about it the better. Thanks guys.

As far as Zach not being more critical of Stern goes, or any manufacturer he is a distributor for, that needs to be expected. I would do the same thing in his position and understand that there will be times when he simply can't discuss certain things. No one should criticize their employer and or customers on a podcast, social media, etc as that just isn't something you do if you want to remain professional and successful. He's not in an easy spot with having done more critical work in the past and then moving into the industry.

One thing TPN could do if people want an ad free podcast and additional content is create a Patreon. There could be a tier for say $2 - $5 a month that gets you ad free podcasts, ability to submit questions to the show, exclusive content (game tutorial videos for example), meet ups at shows, etc.

#422 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So bone couldn't stand the heat and his feeling were hurt so he retired.

Srsly, could some explaine to a simple man like me what is actually going on?

So all the Podcasts went away and... "regrouped", I get that.

But where does that XY-has dropped out come from?

What other podcats actually disbanded? - Has SDTM disbanded? Wasn't Cary Hardy a part of that???

For me at the moment it is: Everything but Kaneda is gone (at least via Smartphone since the websites wants to throw incompatible apps at me).
    Edit: And the new TWIP Podcast of course!

#423 4 years ago

my 2 cents - podcasts should be limited to under 45 mins - the ones that approach 2 hours i never finish

#424 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

WELCOME TO THE PINBALL NETWORK
    The Pinball Network (TPN) is a media group dedicated to pinball exposure, diversity, and unity. The group was formed by Zachary Meny, Ken Cromwell, Dennis Kriesel, Greg Bone, and Jason Fowler.
    The Pinball Network is comprised of numerous pinball content mediums, including, but not limited to, audio and video podcasts, streaming, production/promotional video, and social media (Instagram, Facebook, Pinside).
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Pinball-Network-107908510746956/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC04hUGuy_poa__hHOWGUQ
    The TPN Team of Media Providers aim to promote the pinball hobby/industry in a respectful, informative, and entertaining manner.
    Below is a list of current TPN offerings. Schedules will be frequently updated. Please allow this community forum thread to serve as a way of staying up-to-date with TPN media, offering feedback, and sharing in the enjoyment of provided content.
    If you have any questions or would like to be considered as a TPN provider, please contact us at [email protected]
    - The TPN Team
    —————————————————————————
    EXCLUSIVE PROGRAMS
    The Pinball Show
    Providers: Zach Meny, Ken Cromwell, & Dennis Kriesel (every other week)
    Medium: Podcast
    Schedule: Mondays starting 2.10.2020
    Format: Pinball news discussion, segments, informational, entertainment/comedy
    The Pinball Show - Midweek Edition
    Providers: Jason Fowler
    Schedule: Every other Thursday starting 2.13.2020
    Format: Pinball news discussion, segments, informational, entertainment/comedy
    The Pinball Show Interviews
    Providers: Jason Fowler or Ken Cromwell
    Schedule: Every other Thursday starting 2.20.2020
    Format: Interview, informational
    Final Round Pinball Podcast
    Providers: Martin Robbins & Jeff Teolis
    Schedule: Twice a month starting week of 2.10.2020
    Format: competition news and information, general pinball discussion, entertainment/comedy
    Untitled Krystle Gemnich Podcast
    Providers: Krystle Gemnich
    Schedule: TBA
    Format: general pinball discussion, informational, entertainment/comedy
    Silverball Stories
    Providers: Joshuah Jacobs
    Schedule: Monthly beginning the week of 2.10.2020
    Format: general pinball discussion, seasonal topics, production story-telling, entertainment/comedy
    Orby’s Pinball Podcast
    Providers: Albert “Orby” Agar
    Format: general pinball discussion, pinball media and events, entertainment/comedy
    Off The Record Pinball Podcast
    Providers: open to any, please sign-up
    Schedule: Weekly starting the week of 2.10.2020
    Format: open to any
    Pinball Supernova
    Providers: Lee Weilgolinski
    Medium: YouTube video
    Schedule: Varies
    Format: tech, installation, how-to/diy, event coverage, product reviews
    TPN STREAMING CHANNELS
    Turbografx7
    Twitch.tv/turbografx7
    Providers: Ryan Kuiper and Dave Brennan
    Medium: Twitch
    Format: general gameplay, restoration/tech, rare games, informational
    One iPod One Pinball
    Twitch.tv/oneipodonepinball
    Providers: Stephanie Traub & Jose Chong
    Schedule: Often Alternating Tuesdays & Wednesdays 6:30-7pm CST Start Time
    Format: general gameplay, informational, tutorial/competition strategy, snack-talk
    The Pinball Mafia
    Twitch.tv/thepinballmafia
    Providers: Dennis, Leon, & Preston Moncla
    Schedule: Sunday 8pm CST
    Format: general gameplay, informational, tutorial/competition strategy, entertainment/comedy, tech
    Don’t Panic Flip
    Twitch.tv/dontpanicflip
    Providers: George
    Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, & Thursdays 11:30pm CST
    Format: general gameplay, informational, streaming support, entertainment/comedy
    Untitled Emily Cosson Channel
    Providers: Emily Cosson
    Schedule: Fridays Approx. 6pm CST
    Format: general gameplay, informational, tutorial/competition strategy, family-friendly, entertainment/comedy
    SDTM Pinball
    Twitch.tv/sdtmpinball
    Providers: Chuck Wurt
    Schedule: Sunday evenings
    Format: general gameplay, informational, tutorial/competition strategy, tournament/league events, entertainment
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast
    Twitch.tv/eclectic_gamers
    Providers: Dennis Kriesel
    Schedule: Generally Wednesdays 6pm CST
    Format: general gameplay, tutorial, informational, entertainment/comedy
    Special When Lit Pinball Podcast
    Twitch.tv/specialwhenlitpodcast
    Providers: Ken Cromwell, Steve Bedi, & Bill Webb
    Format: general gameplay, informational, interactive communication, entertainment/comedy

Putting out a new podcast every day is far too many

#425 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So bone couldn't stand the heat and his feeling were hurt so he retired. Hmm, that doesn't sound right.
    I find the idea that because something is FREE, you have to all cap it don't ya know, it can't get any criticism pretty silly.

I am completely open to constructive criticism as it can help in making content better. I can even take the negativity. What I dont care for is when it becomes personal. That's my only issue. Nobody has intended to do anything personally to anyone in this thread by putting up some podcast content in a different format. When I throw caps on FREE PINBALL CONTENT it's not to lessen the importance of feedback...its directed at those that try to personally attack some of the creators and the initiative. Hopefully that helps to clarify. If that still seems silly I can respect your opinion and leave it at that.

#426 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Since, from the concept, they all have a different perspective I think it's actually improved/ less repetitive.
    So for me I'd skip the "Tournament Talk" entirely.

#427 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

my 2 cents - podcasts should be limited to under 45 mins - the ones that approach 2 hours i never finish

Yeah, an hour or less is good imo.

Quoted from JY64:

I don't mind daily updates if there is actually something worth discussing. I love to put in an ear bud and listen to pass the time at work.

#428 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

...What I dont care for is when it becomes personal. That's my only issue.

I feel you there, but that's the crux of the Zach issue and it's probably gonna follow him around for a bit.

#429 4 years ago

I tried to get into this new content but just can't do it. Zach just defends all things Stern as justified and any criticism is brushed off as hate. The whole thing comes off like US politics two sides that will never agree on anything and just throw hyperbole at the other. They just bicker and annoy each other and me as a listener. I miss the days when STDM was a fun bro-mance with lots of good humour.

#430 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I tried to get into this new content but just can't do it. Zach just defends all things Stern as justified and any criticism is brushed off as hate. The whole thing comes off like US politics two sides that will never agree on anything and just throw hyperbole at the other. They just bicker and annoy each other and me as a listener. I miss the days when STDM was a fun bro-mance with lots of good humour.

Man, I had the same thought in terms of the politics. So divisive.

#431 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

If this stuff really bothers you that much. Just don’t tune it. It’s that easy. These guys do this for free. Is there some bias? Sure. Is there some promoting? Sure. It’s America. That’s free enterprise. They provide free content. They can say what they want. If you don’t like it, don’t listen.

^^This.

Don’t like it, don’t listen. Quit being jerks.

I’ve mixed hobby and work before and it allowed me to pour my passion into things. Including some podcasts. Most people appreciated it. For those that don’t - just go away.

#432 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Greg said they are working on a new This or That SDTM. I do miss pre FnO SDTM, it was more fun and yes, critical of things that simply don't work while still being about the fun of the game and the amazement and excitement of new pins. If everything else burns out Zach, I'd just be happy that SDTM would still be around, so don't neglect it.

#433 4 years ago

There's nothing like driving a wedge into the entire pinball podcast community in a rather shallow effort to unabashedly shill more sales for your company. Kinda sad to look back to 2019 and see relative harmony among podcasters, and then look at today...Greg, Jason, TWIP awards, etc.

But don't dare point this out to Zach...he will be here with a smart-assed condescending comment to justify his self serving venture, once again.

#434 4 years ago

This kind of reminds me of a restaurant critic that writes for our local newspaper.

She's been there for years and has never written one negative review. The fear that she would offend a potential advertiser in a time when newspapers really need them supersedes her objectivity. Every restaurant gets an "A".

It would be no different if the CEO of AMC Theaters reviewed movies.

I like the show (and Zach) but the next time Zach says something negative about a current Stern machine he's selling will be the first time Zach says something negative about a current Stern machine he's selling.

#435 4 years ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

Greg said they are working on a new [...] SDTM

Thanks, that was all I wanted to know.

Why is it impossible to get this info here?

So Greg is still around, that is nice. What everyone else is building up here is also nice.
    So plz continue and if you don't mind put up a straight RSS feed to the MP3 files, much appreciated.

Oh and for all those shit Zach gets:
    This is getting a self fulfilling prophecy guys. Zach (in my opinion) was always very enthusiastic and into the new. That's what drove him into becoming a distributor, not the other way around. I still believe what he says still is his honest opinion but of course in some regards you have to stay silent regarding some topics. - So with you guys being "how can he moderate the TWIPYS if they're nominees as well" you're not wrong that there could be some potential rigging (wich I'd bet would never happen) but we just hurt ourself by bullying Zach & Greg out of moderating this thing.

So yeah, keep shitting to keep everyone motivated, because that's exactly how it works!

Guys, we're old. I'm old. I hate it when shit changes, so of course it takes me much time to get used to this TPN thing as well but you'd still not have to shit all over it. I just (and that goes to Zach) would like if it would be a bit more explanatory what now actually is no more (in terms of podcasts, youtube etc.) and what will come. Without any valuation or judgemt it's just hard to follow for me what is going on.

#436 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Why is it impossible to get this info here?

Greg is understandably more active on Facebook than Pinside.

#437 4 years ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

Greg is understandably more active on Facebook than Pinside.

That "understandably" is where I get lost, since I don't know if anything Special occured that I didn't notice.

Or is it just the... "distinct charm" of pinside? That is understandable of course.

#438 4 years ago

For people who want to listen to/deal with non-stop negativity in the hobby there are multiple options out there for you. Personally, I stopped watching and/or listening to some other streamers/podcasts because pinball is supposed to be fun and the negative bullcrap isn't fun for me.

Being upset because Zach or anyone else on a podcast doesn't pile on makes no sense to me. Who cares why they aren't a constantly negative dickhead? I enjoy the change of pace.

#439 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Being upset because Zach or anyone else on a podcast doesn't pile on makes no sense to me. Who cares why they aren't a constantly negative dickhead?

I think some people see Zach as being condescending & shilling, which they see as in fact being negative

#440 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Zach just defends all things Stern as justified and any criticism is brushed off as hate.

I totally understand what you’re getting at... and I hate all of these price increases and money making schemes just like you. But, I do t understand how Stern’s moves can’t be viewed as justified. They are a manufacturer built to make money. Every move they make - stripping down games, that cheap ass backbox design they use, parts that break.... ST kit... $750 toppers - are justified ways of making money.

Stern is not your friend. Stern is a business that can and will do anything the market doesn’t object to with its wallet. If the Stern’s latest cash grab idea doesn’t make money, they won’t do it again. And if they do, they’ll try another avenue.

All of us miss the good old days when you could snag a NIB pro for around $4k... when mod makers weren’t charging hundreds of dollars for mods and crazy lighting kits. But we the buyers have created what has become reality. It’s us and every company that builds games and hobbyists that create mods are totally justified by the market to continue pushing out products and materials as they currently are.

You have to look at this from Zach’s perspective. He probably sees these moves as reasonable because products are still moving. Sales are being made.

At some point you just have to take his opinions from his perspective. Digest the helpful parts and disregard parts that you feel are more or less promotional.

Ken and Zach both have relationships with folks at manufacturers. You’re not going to hear them trash people. That’s just a fact. Those relationships can be really helpful to content, giving inside access and bringing about interesting interviews. We all know what is what - take the good from it and when you feel like you need a good critics take, listen to Kaneda, Slam Tilt, This Flippin Pod, or evening Bro.

#441 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

...Ken and Zach both have relationships with folks at manufacturers. You’re not going to hear them trash people. That’s just a fact.

Is there something betwixt "trash" & "praise?" Why is everything an either or?

#442 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Is there something betwixt "trash" & "praise?" Why is everything an either or?

You can "praise" "trash"!

Oscar_the_Grouch_a_Palisades_action_figure (resized).jpgOscar_the_Grouch_a_Palisades_action_figure (resized).jpg
    #443 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think some people see Zach as being condescending & shilling, which they see as in fact being negative

Then those (wrong in my opinion) people should stop watching. As I mentioned, lost of options out there for those that love to hate and think that outright negativity is somehow more "honest".

#444 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Then those (wrong in my opinion) people should stop watching. As I mentioned, lost of options out there for those that love to hate and think that outright negativity is somehow more "honest".

Nobody is asking for 'outright negativity'. Obviously the argument has completely gone over your head.

#445 4 years ago

That's a bit extreme. Delt is giving his vantage point. And while doing so also stating how he preferred a way Zach operated prior to the network. Balance isn't poison.

#446 4 years ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

I love Zach, but he is beginning to sound like a used car salesman. I’m fine if it’s balanced out, but that first episode felt pretty heavy.
    The UV lights being sold for 279 are ridiculous and should’ve been included. This is a bad trend for pinball. These things are already expensive as hell, we don’t need to be Nickel and dimed anymore.
    Zach, come on brother. You’re normally the first to call BS on this.
    [quoted image]

I call BS on this. Zach has always been in on over-priced lighting mods, aka PinStadiums. These black lights are basically another variant of that.

I thought the 3 of them had a great exchange, at least at the first 1/2 of the podcast, with differing strong takes. It was interesting and entertaining. I wish Dennis would speak up more but I get that he tires easily...

#447 4 years ago

I am always 100 percent honest with my thoughts on The Pinball Show or previously on Special When Lit. I would never purposely mislead anyone. My approach is to be honest and respectful at the same time (it is 100 percent possible). Any relationships I have or dont have with manufacturers or their employees does not change the fact that I consider them human beings. If I dont like something it's easy for me to say "this didnt call to me" or "I personally didnt find this to work." That said if I didnt like something I would not pretend that I did for the sake of celebrating pinball. It's all about being fair and giving a manufacturer or its employees a fair shake while being respectful. I understand that my style doesnt appeal to some and I'm just fine with that because its who I am.

#448 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I think the most "honest" (differenciated) person is Dennis.

In my opinion Zach and Kaneda are "in a way" the same, as that they're really enthusiastic into the hobby. Zach is just... uh... mentally stable?
    Kaneda himself is an emotional roller coaster; the higher his anticipation the deeper his disappointment. He doesn't even try to let things sit and formulate an elaborate opinion, he just records 4 podcasts in a row about the same topping (wich does get tiresome), making up his mind on the way.

So with Zach beeing a constantly positive Person, and Dennis constantly questioning everything, that -again in my opinion- is the most objective and most entertaining way of presenting whatever is going on.

(On the contrary it does mean that it can get dull if both Hosts agree with each other all the time.)

#449 4 years ago

Guys, i might actually have to listen to this episode when I get home and get to the bottom of this!

#450 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

That's a bit extreme. Delt is giving his vantage point. And while doing so also stating how he preferred a way Zach operated prior to the network. Balance isn't poison.

Delt31 used "poison" when he described the content that was being offered. I found it ironic.

There are 4,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/9?hl=tomass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.