(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Ep 50: TPF, MGC, & Travis Is Old Now?

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,826 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 hours ago by Kkoss24
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8472 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8471 (resized).jpeg
    triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,826 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 97.
    #4351 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 128: Harry Potter & The Squirt Of Passion
    Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny
    - Dennis Is The Embodiment Of Pinball Media Logic
    - Stern Pinball Production Updates
    - Kaminkow Goes Kapow For Harry Potter Pinball
    - Forecasting Harry Potter Release, Pricing, & Features
    - PinClash: Godzilla Edition
    - The Great Reproduction Debate
    - MEMBERS ONLY: Collectors Corner - Theatre Of Magic
    - 2.NO
    - The Art Of Saying A Lot Without Saying Anything At All & Actually Killing With Kindness
    - Pinball Market Trends™
    - The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom...for clickbait purposes...
    - Deals Of The Week™
    EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND TPS MEMBERSHIP CAN BE FOUND AT Patreon.com/thepinballshow
    Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Show (TPS), the industry's most popular podcast!
    email: [email protected]
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballshow
    instagram: @thepinballshowpodcast
    tik tok: @thepinballshow
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/
    store: flipnoutpinball.com
    membership: patreon.com/thepinballshow
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-4sd2a-1415c06[quoted image]

Dennis, true that video games release info about titles years in advance. But, games cost $39-$100 a pop. They’re accessible to nearly everyone, price-wise. Video game pricing is also throttled as a title ages…. And “manufacturing” titles, once designed, isn’t difficult.

Way different scenario when a game costs $7k - $15k… and you, as a company, banks on selling a relatively limited amount of games to a much narrower audience. Production time frames are long, and to be efficient you need to purchase and stock parts in advance - not to mention labor certainly factors into the equation.

The financial risk of customers holding onto cash in order to afford a specific title months down the road is greater, and would have serious impacts on profitability.

#4352 11 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Dennis, true that video games release info about titles years in advance. But, games cost $39-$100 a pop. They’re accessible to nearly everyone, price-wise. Video game pricing is also throttled as a title ages…. And “manufacturing” titles, once designed, isn’t difficult.
    Way different scenario when a game costs $7k - $15k… and you, as a company, banks on selling a relatively limited amount of games to a much narrower audience. Production time frames are long, and to be efficient you need to purchase and stock parts in advance - not to mention labor certainly factors into the equation.
    The financial risk of customers holding onto cash in order to afford a specific title months down the road is greater, and would have serious impacts on profitability.

These are good points. I think the pricing is the biggest factor in terms of reasons why I might be wrong (and it better to keep titles "secret"), but I believe pinball games SHOULD throttle as they age. This propping up of the NiB sales prices (via distributor contract) is not how the industry always was, and is a form of false price control that causes more damage than I think manufacturers realize because if a company has a tendency to put out "bad" titles there is a disincentive to see their network order a lot up front (lest you get "Toy Story 4'd" and stuck with piles of games you can't sell because the used market's pricing is a lot better deal than the advantages of going new). If pinball continues to grow as a hobby I suspect pressure will mount to drop this (or they'll move away from distributors outright and can deal with the risks of pre-building and housing all those unwanted games).

The main thing, to me, though is I think people already hold their money out for certain titles. Distributors are known to keep what they call "interested" lists for all sorts of games. We know many of these companies leak, some pretty severely, and it is not unusual for us to know the games (in the form of rumor) years in advance. While Harry Potter for JJP was a surprise, we've known (really until Godfather, which also leaked out but much later) all the JJP games years in advance due to leaks. So, while I get why there is the perception that if the titles were announced everyone would just sit and hold their money, I think it just doesn't happen as widely as is feared. People are impatient, people want a new pin, and people start to buy after games get in the wild and they hear how good they are.

But of course, this is all very easy for me to say, it isn't my money on the line.

Thanks for giving a different perspective.

#4353 11 months ago

So …… I need a new pillow because I left mine at my sisters guest house a few years ago and haven’t had a good night’s sleep since. Can’t remember brand. What’s TPS’s official recommendation for mypillow needs and does it come with a guarantee? Do you carry them in FlipNOut store yet?

#4354 11 months ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

These are good points. I think the pricing is the biggest factor in terms of reasons why I might be wrong (and it better to keep titles "secret"), but I believe pinball games SHOULD throttle as they age. This propping up of the NiB sales prices (via distributor contract) is not how the industry always was, and is a form of false price control that causes more damage than I think manufacturers realize because if a company has a tendency to put out "bad" titles there is a disincentive to see their network order a lot up front (lest you get "Toy Story 4'd" and stuck with piles of games you can't sell because the used market's pricing is a lot better deal than the advantages of going new). If pinball continues to grow as a hobby I suspect pressure will mount to drop this (or they'll move away from distributors outright and can deal with the risks of pre-building and housing all those unwanted games).
    The main thing, to me, though is I think people already hold their money out for certain titles. Distributors are known to keep what they call "interested" lists for all sorts of games. We know many of these companies leak, some pretty severely, and it is not unusual for us to know the games (in the form of rumor) years in advance. While Harry Potter for JJP was a surprise, we've known (really until Godfather, which also leaked out but much later) all the JJP games years in advance due to leaks. So, while I get why there is the perception that if the titles were announced everyone would just sit and hold their money, I think it just doesn't happen as widely as is feared. People are impatient, people want a new pin, and people start to buy after games get in the wild and they hear how good they are.
    But of course, this is all very easy for me to say, it isn't my money on the line.
    Thanks for giving a different perspective.

I agree that titles should throttle as they age, too.

I guess one counter argument to my points is that pinball sales, despite price increases, do not appear to be slowing. So, perhaps, the bulk majority of NIB buyers aren’t shackled by financial constraints and would spend regardless of what’s coming in the future - known or not known.

Also, just because a title is kept relatively secret, strong sales aren’t guaranteed. See: Pirates, TS4, Godfather.

There’s so many variables of influence!

Out of curiosity, do you think manufacturers purposely leak title information?

#4355 11 months ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So …… I need a new pillow because I left mine at my sisters guest house a few years ago and haven’t had a good night’s sleep since. Can’t remember brand. What’s the recommendation for mypillow?

Don’t buy that over-hyped “Saw it on TV” crap. If you want a killer pillow, buy Pillow Fight. You’re welcome in advance!

#4356 11 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Out of curiosity, do you think manufacturers purposely leak title information?

No, I think some who work at the manufacturers like to troll and drop hints and stuff, but that's all just for the sport of it. Not like as an actual marketing strategy. I've always felt the actual leaks are unplanned by management. Now, that being said, I'm not sure if they actually get all that upset by it either, but I just don't think it's the official strategy.

#4357 11 months ago

Great episode as always...fun to listen to.

#4358 11 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Great episode as always...fun to listen to.

Big Thanks Methos appreciate ya

#4359 11 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

This post is spot on, I think the video game and pinball market, pricing and distribution is extremely different that comparisons make little sense.

#4360 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

This post is spot on, I think the video game and pinball market, pricing and distribution is extremely different that comparisons make little sense.

What we need to hear is a good cargument that compares video and pinball markets.

But will add, that I don’t believe the theory of knowing H.P. is coming hurts anybody’s sales. It will affect a few people’s behavior but that is insignificant noise. People get into and out of orders all the time. Mostly because of impatience and they’ve decided to buy something else. That something might be a pin but often is something entirely different. The old object of desire was never really purchased (if one’s heart is not in it in the first place, did the sale even take place?). My takeaway was - $tart $aving or $elling pin$ to plan for H.P. in 2025. And if you believe multiple pins are coming, $ave and $ell even fa$ter. Kaminkow’s post was a public service announcement and confirmed JJP has the H.P. license. BOOM !!! Now, we just need JerseyJack to provide us with JJP’s intentions.

#4361 11 months ago

ZMeny - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was the reference that came to mind for 'the thing you obsess over becomes the thing that kills you'. It comes up fairly regularly in video games as well. Enjoyin' the podcast!

#4362 11 months ago

Craig Bobby must be quite the chameleon of disguise to get the scoops that he gets. He reminds me of a young Agent 13, on Get Smart. Of these, the sofa is my fave, it always gets me.

A1FB9C71-1873-4E11-92EB-722971935E79 (resized).jpegA1FB9C71-1873-4E11-92EB-722971935E79 (resized).jpeg

E162155C-E20F-48EB-BC0F-79EA53B2413F.jpegE162155C-E20F-48EB-BC0F-79EA53B2413F.jpeg
    #4363 11 months ago

ZMeny I do listen. Where else am I going to get the juicy industry gossip?

#4364 11 months ago
    Quoted from TheArrrrrcade:

GASP! TheArrrrrcade
    richard-vernon (resized).jpegrichard-vernon (resized).jpeg

#4365 11 months ago

Pinball Party Podcast Episode 30: Thankful Pt. 2

Host: Jason
    Guest Hosts: Doc Monday & Cale Hernandez 

Patreon: patreon.com/pinballparty

What is Pinsomniacs up to in Florida? Strap in (or on) as Cale, Doc, and I continue our list of what we're thankful for in the Pinside Top 100 list!

Show notes:
    - Send in your texts
    - Quick news
    - Meff has a new hobby
    - Pinsomniacs in Florida
    - Thankful Part 2 with Doc and Cale
    - Faded by Neon Dale

Nudge Pinball: https://www.nudgepinball.com/ 
    Email: [email protected]
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pinballpartypodcast
    Neon Dale: https://www.neondale.com  

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-fnew6-1419004

pinball party new logo (resized).pngpinball party new logo (resized).png
    #4366 11 months ago

Pinball Party thankful part 2 - was a great idea. Positive vibes on top 100 pins from 3 “cohosts”. I’ve already listened twice and am going back again.

#4367 11 months ago
    Quoted from TheArrrrrcade:

HP needs Metroid Easter Eggs. Maybe JP can stick Ridley in the background with the Dementors, or perhaps Samus's exoskeleton can be one of the giant chess pieces. So many possibilities!

#4368 10 months ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

HP needs Metroid Easter Eggs.

It's actually Big Ben, not a chess piece. We've mocked something up and we'll see if it gets through the Heinz approval process.

hp_with_ridley (resized).pnghp_with_ridley (resized).png
    #4369 10 months ago

The preferred condiment of space pirates!

#4370 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Pinball Party Podcast Episode 30: Thankful Pt. 2
    Guest Hosts: Doc Monday & Cale Hernandez 
    What is Pinsomniacs up to in Florida? Strap in (or on) as Cale, Doc, and I continue our list of what we're thankful for in the Pinside Top 100 list!
    Show notes:
    - Send in your texts
    - Quick news
    - Meff has a new hobby
    - Pinsomniacs in Florida
    - Thankful Part 2 with Doc and Cale
    - Faded by Neon Dale
    Nudge Pinball: https://www.nudgepinball.com/ 
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-fnew6-1419004
    [quoted image]

Hey Jason, fun show. not meaning this as a correction. But Flippers on the original WOZ were/are tight and snappy. You had mentioned re-running WOZ with the new flippers. The flips on my copy are perfect as is. Not sure when JJP turned to wet noodles, tbh. But I think they really nailed it 7 or 8 years ago!

Cheers, Todd

#4371 10 months ago

^^^ the other outstanding aspect about WOZ is it’s code depth. So much to achieve on 2 upper playfields. I remember the very first code available at shows. Lots of blinking leds that meant nothing and basic code. It would get better each code release.

#4372 10 months ago

Aussie Pinball Podcast Episode 15: Aussie Pinball Championship

Host: Dr. John Cosson

This episode is all about the Australian Championship Series (ACS).

All IFPA competitions held in Australia in 2022 are tallied to allow State Championships to be held concurrently for the top 16 or 24 players (depending on player numbers in that State) to decide the top 4 in 6 States/Territories to compete at the ACS finals. This top 24 is joined by another 24 of the top ranked players from around the Country to be the top 48 players in the finals.  

In this episode we talk to some of the players, discuss the event, and even have a singalong at the end!

Music
    Little River Band - Playing to Win
    Mojo Singers - Come on Aussie

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-3fyex-141cc3d

aussie podcast pinball logo (resized).pngaussie podcast pinball logo (resized).png
    #4373 10 months ago

Pinball Party Podcast Episode 31: Kaneda 

Guest: Kaneda

Kaneda joins the show. We get to know him a little more and talk heavily about rumored games. We discuss his motivation for being a part of this weird pinball media world and some other nuances

Show notes:
    - Godzilla topper lul
    - Effed up text
    - Kaneda joins the show
    - Getting to know Kaneda's balls
    - Harry Potter Pinball 
    - Matrix Pinball
    - Venom Pinball
    - Jaws Pinball
    - Elton John Pinball
    - Highway by Neon Dale
    - Epilogue...a lot of f*cks

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-76pkk-142022a

pinball party new logo (resized).pngpinball party new logo (resized).png
    #4374 10 months ago

Was proper thanks given to Kaneda for getting all the podcast hosts to hop on the Patreon bandwagon?

#4375 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Was proper thanks given to Kaneda for getting all the podcast hosts to hop on the Patreon bandwagon?

Thats hillarious!

#4376 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

[quoted image]

Cannot wait to check that out today, thank you guys!!!!

#4377 10 months ago

Never ceases to amaze me how Chris is befuddled by why people think he's a douche.

#4378 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

[quoted image]

Meh...It was tolerable until the last part...

#4379 10 months ago

I wish I could see Zachs' face when he was typing out this post.

#4380 10 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Never ceases to amaze me how Chris is befuddled by why people thinks he's a douche.

It is... curious. I'm assuming he's on the proverbial spectrum, and yet I appreciate his sassy attitude when others are doing nothing but 100% butt kissing. The freedom by which he says anything without hesitation does become a bit tiresome at times, but you take the good with the bad.

#4381 10 months ago

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!

The Pinball Show May 2023 LIVE Hangout

Topics will include, but not limited to:
    - Stern Godzilla Topper VS The Field
    - NEW Stern Pinball Production Updates
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Harry Potter Rumors & What's Next Rumors
    - This Week In Pinball Distribution
    - AND MORE!

Get comfy, tune-in, be shocked, be entertained, be pinformed (again, I'm sorry about that)...

TO JOIN INTO THE LIVE EVENT YOU MUST BE A THE PINBALL SHOW MEMBER AT THE NORD-MAN OR SCREAMING GOAT TIER LEVELS.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/pinball-show-may-83844118?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

ThePinballShow_VectorLogo smaller (resized).jpgThePinballShow_VectorLogo smaller (resized).jpg
    #4382 10 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I wish I could see Zachs' face when he was typing out this post.

Which post?

#4383 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

B4534067-430B-43CD-BF56-347CF054B21F (resized).jpegB4534067-430B-43CD-BF56-347CF054B21F (resized).jpeg
    #4384 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Kaneda joins the show. We get to know him a little more and talk heavily about rumored games. We discuss his motivation for being a part of this weird pinball media world and some other nuances
    Show notes:
    - Godzilla topper lul
    - Effed up text
    - Kaneda joins the show
    - Getting to know Kaneda's balls
    - Harry Potter Pinball 
    - Matrix Pinball
    - Venom Pinball
    - Jaws Pinball
    - Elton John Pinball
    - Highway by Neon Dale
    - Epilogue...a lot of f*cks
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-76pkk-142022a
    [quoted image]

BTW...you're a good sport for having him on TPN.

#4385 10 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

BTW...you're a good sport for having him on TPN.

Ahhh nah didn’t think too much about it. It’s all work unfortunately so I just get through it posting all of the time. And I wasn’t a good or bad sport having Chris on, because I didn’t have him on. Didn’t matter to me either way, people can do whatever they want with their content, just as I do with mine.

#4386 10 months ago

The latest Pinball Party was an entertaining listen but I think my house lifted off of its foundation with how much hot air that was expelled. Chris speaks a lot and is engaging when he does so, but a lot of it just sounds like bullshit to me. I'm not saying he is straight up lying but he talks at length without saying much of anything of substance.

The obsession with wanting to see behind the curtain is just weird to me. I get it, I am a curious person by nature, but these are private companies who have zero obligation to open their books for you to understand how many people are employed or what their manufacturing capabilities are. Sure, call them out if they make promises that aren't delivered but to demand to know this information? Entitled much?

#4387 10 months ago
    Quoted from Smack:

The latest Pinball Party was an entertaining listen but I think my house lifted off of its foundation with how much hot air that was expelled. Chris speaks a lot and is engaging when he does so, but a lot of it just sounds like bullshit to me. I'm not saying he is straight up lying but he talks at length without saying much of anything of substance.
    The obsession with wanting to see behind the curtain is just weird to me. I get it, I am a curious person by nature, but these are private companies who have zero obligation to open their books for you to understand how many people are employed or what their manufacturing capabilities are. Sure, call them out if they make promises that aren't delivered but to demand to know this information? Entitled much?

It *is* all bullshit. The world unprofessional comes to mind... his "me against the world... I'm taking all the arrows" is also total BS. For years he's made it seem like he's the only one that questions product quality or CS policies, which is totally untrue. What is true, however, is that he's the only that treats people in the industry like dirt.

I guess some people like to listen to the trainwreck. Apparently 600.

#4388 10 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

It *is* all bullshit. The world unprofessional comes to mind... his "me against the world... I'm taking all the arrows" is also total BS. For years he's made it seem like he's the only one that questions product quality or CS policies, which is totally untrue. What is true, however, is that he's the only that treats people in the industry like dirt.
    I guess some people like to listen to the trainwreck. Apparently 600.

You care too much.

#4389 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You care too much.

Just calling it what it is - perhaps, you care too little.

#4390 10 months ago

Yes. I care very little about podcast content. Except when a podcaster screams in my ear.

This guy has done over 800 podcasts and I still see you complain about him every chance you get.

#4391 10 months ago
    Quoted from Smack:

He has a point in that companies should be giving semi accurate timelines for when tk expect a product. And it may just be they are lying to get deposits.

But I totally agree we have zero right to see companies manufacturing capabilities and most other inside knowledge. But if companies continue to mislead about production we can certainly vote with our wallets in the future.

I do wish he would get off that train. I feel like way too much of his content is aimed at that stuff. Im a subscriber and like much of it, but the entitlement to see how the sausage is made is getting super old.

#4392 10 months ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

... I do wish he would get off that train. I feel like way too much of his content is aimed at that stuff. Im a subscriber and like much of it, but the entitlement to see how the sausage is made is getting super old.

Kaneda has a long history of seizing on a particular game or topic and driving it into the ground by talking about it non-stop episode after episode. I've always appreciated his marketing perspectives, but his gameplay opinions are of limited value to me as he is simply not an experienced hands-on player overall.

I used to be an avid Kaneda listener, but stopped once he went behind a paywall. Not due to the cost - more so the increasingly self-centered attitude he seemed to develop as he became more popular.

All that said, I'm often tempted to listen to him again as he has an undeniable podcasting talent and he provides an alternate view of the pinball industry than that expressed in many other podcasts.

#4393 10 months ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I used to be an avid Kaneda listener, but stopped once he went behind a pay wall

I listened from day 1 and I think was the first podcast I ever listened to. Stopped listening when it went behind a paywall. Paying someone to listen to them talk about pinball is the R word.

#4394 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I listened from day 1 and I think was the first podcast I ever listened to. Stopped listening when it went behind a paywall. Paying someone to listen to them talk about pinball is the R word.

Rong?

#4395 10 months ago

The thing that bugs me about Chris is his selective memory. I laugh everytime he says he has no idea why he was 86ed from Pinside. His behavior on here went way past trolling, especially when he was drunk.

Robin gave him chance after chance but finally had enough when Chris started sending him threatening messages.

#4396 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Retarted?

#4397 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

This guy has done over 800 podcasts and I still see you complain about him every chance you get.

I don't follow what you mean here-- how prolific Kaneda has been with his podcasting doesn't really have anything to do with how people are allowed to react to him... If you listen to 3 or 4 episodes of a podcast like his, you start to get a pretty good feel for his character... it doesn't magically get better 800 episodes later.

You don't get a certificate and a new personality in the mail, as far as I know.

#4398 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Yes. I care very little about podcast content. Except when a podcaster screams in my ear.

Yes, yes… then you complain about the complaining. Quite cyclical

#4399 10 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Yes, yes… then you complain about the complaining. Quite cyclical

I did not complain. Just giving you an FYI that you are a broken record when the subject of him comes up. That’s all feel free to carry on. I don’t give a shit.

#4400 10 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You care too much.

Quoted from PoMC:

you complain about him every chance you get.

Quoted from PoMC:

I don’t give a shit.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    There are 4,826 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/88?hl=aamauzy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.