(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Ep 50: TPF, MGC, & Travis Is Old Now?

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,826 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 hours ago by Kkoss24
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8472 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8471 (resized).jpeg
    triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,826 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 97.
    #4301 11 months ago

Dennis said purists would prefer original MM. Then, he told Zach he was not a purist, supposedly because he didn’t follow the definition in his head of a purist - as one who always only prefers the original. Those 2 statements Dennis made are loaded.

First, the term purist was thrown out of context and then a judgment was implied that a purist is something worthy to strive for or is someone with elevated status from following the rules. He implies a purist would never harbor a “compromised” brand-new remake pinball in their abode, and that is also far from true.

Then, Dennis doesn’t define purist but suggests it is someone who doesn’t buy new, always and only the old shit. He then suggests all purist would act homogenously. We know a real group would have people crossing the line. In his example there would be none, per his definition. So he is applying a theory and concluding the results based entirely on his definition. It is circular logic yet it is depicted as a simple black or white result.

So what’s my point? It’s a challenge! I heard Dennis claim a purist would prefer original and now, I want him to prove it. Dennis could do some empirical experiment or survey that shows us 99% of purist would act alike. Alternatively, he could come on the next podcast and admit his statement was bs and wasn’t accurate. To me it seems like a nonsensical question because who would care about the results? Nobody is talking about purist, so don’t start.

#4302 11 months ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Dennis said purists would prefer original MM. Then, he told Zach he was not a purist, supposedly because he didn’t follow the definition in his head of a purist - as one who always only prefers the original. Those 2 statements Dennis made are loaded.
    First, the term purist was thrown out of context and then a judgment was implied that a purist is something worthy to strive for or is someone with elevated status from following the rules. A purist would never harbor a “compromised brand new remake pinball in their abode”.

Not exactly what I said, but I see where the impression came from. I imagine most heard the discussion, but as a reminder we were talking about remakes and specifically were talking about what the "classic" editions (Fathom, MMr, etc.) didn't sell very well. I said my theory (and I acknowledged it as simply a theory) was that "real" collector (and I thought I really, really emphasized "real" to make it clear I was deliberately poking here) of classic games would want the OG games, and if you're going for remakes then you're already compromising on that premise so you might as well get the cool display, better code, and all the rest.

I don't think I implied they wouldn't buy new. I implied between new and old a collector of, say, WMS games is going to want WMS games. I'm not going to prove it, I said it was just a theory already.

Incidentally, I lumped myself right in with the remake buyers; I'd rather have all remakes in my pinball collection. Does it make me a non-"real" collector per my outline? Absolutely, and I am quite happy to be there with the shiny remake.

#4303 11 months ago

That’s all good it was the semantics that got me thinking. I was wondering why the comparison of new MM’s or Fathom remakes didn’t discuss the features and differences with originals, and which may be considered better on the new ones. In addition, one guy in thread mentioned improved flipper technology as another consideration. There are more technology improvements to discuss. How about the RGB lighting? It is awesome, though not a peep was made about it.

I guess normally, one would argue which version was better or sold more. Instead the statements were which game does a purist prefer? That’s a question nobody cares about nor would ask. Which one is better is something everybody has an opinion on and would follow closely. Sorry to complain.

#4304 11 months ago

ZMeny is Charlie Emory completely out of the picture at Spooky? Retired?

He has literally fallen off the radar

#4305 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I was even offering that up on a platter for him…and even so, I’m still right

Quoted from DennisK:

That's a gameplay aspect. I was solely trying to evaluate it from the perspective of a collector. I've never known a hobby where collectors prefer less rare, non-original versions when it comes solely to the aspect of collecting. I know plenty of hobbies where people who want to actually use something want the newest iteration. I generally fall into the latter camp. And you can definitely collect whatever, but it's a pretty rare day when, from a pure collecting standpoint, revisions, remakes, and reprints rise above an original for *collector* desirability (that's not always reflected in price either, especially if those sorts of collectors are a subset of an overall hobby).
    So anyway, flipper design isn't really a collector aspect, that is a gameplay debate which could lead someone to prefer, in this case, an OG game for non-collecting reasons. But it was outside my scope of discussion.

That assumes the pinball collector would not take into account these aspects (including that of gameplay). I would argue the value in pinball comes from multiple places including gameplay and other physical factors of the design or aesthetics. Collectors may have a particular focus or interest, its hard to generalize what draws collectors vs. other interest groups in pinball but I would counter that most collectors wouldn't preclude this difference, and may, in fact, focus on a particular group of pins because of aspects such as gameplay etc.. It depends largely on the collector.

I do understand what you are saying, that a collector may look at original machines comparative to remakes as say a baseball card collector views original vs. reprints but pinball collecting isn't solely about edition or originality. It may be the case that a remake or reproduction exceeds the original in value (or collectible value in this case) and that's based on a number of factors (take, for example, gold edition Addams Family vs. non, or LE vs premium, etc.).

Which is why I brought up the hardware/aspect argument: one of the strongest arguments for the value of the original comes from both its status as original but it is a combination of factors, including originality, which I think determines collector interest. So I am not sure you can only argue it effectively from the perspective of originality or make a generalized claim to a definitive statement about collector interest vs. other if you do, as you may likely be missing a part of the evaluation for collectors in general.

Interesting note in your conversation was that CGC recently (in their interviews revolving around Pulp Fiction) stated their love of Bally/Williams golden age as a main influencing factor in their design process decisions etc.. For me it was one of the aspects that led me to wanting Pulp Fiction, and having a better appreciation for their games in general. It also was the basis of my observation here: given this, why do they use a flipper design that feels/functions like Stern and not Bally/Williams? I've often wondered event outside of this context why no current manufacturer has replicated the Bally/Williams flipper feel/function. I assumed it likely was either a copyright or hardware limitation but with CGC's licensing and focus on Bally Williams as inspiration it was an interesting and currently unresolved question I had related to their games and other manufacturers as well, and to me, is a vital and missing piece for my personal interest in some of their other titles (to me, they don't shoot at all like the originals given this difference, and for me, having come up on pins in that era, it's an essential design element, otherwise the game doesn't 'feel' right when shooting it).

#4306 11 months ago
    Quoted from Alaskanzen:

That assumes the pinball collector would not take into account these aspects (including that of gameplay). I would argue the value in pinball comes from multiple places including gameplay and other physical factors of the design or aesthetics. Collectors may have a particular focus or interest, its hard to generalize what draws collectors vs. other interest groups in pinball but I would counter that most collectors wouldn't preclude this difference, and may, in fact, focus on a particular group of pins because of aspects such as gameplay etc.. It depends largely on the collector.
    I do understand what you are saying, that a collector may look at original machines comparative to remakes as say a baseball card collector views original vs. reprints but pinball collecting isn't solely about edition or originality. It may be the case that a remake or reproduction exceeds the original in value (or collectible value in this case) and that's based on a number of factors (take, for example, gold edition Addams Family vs. non, or LE vs premium, etc.).
    Which is why I brought up the hardware/aspect argument: one of the strongest arguments for the value of the original comes from both its status as original but it is a combination of factors, including originality, which I think determines collector interest. So I am not sure you can only argue it effectively from the perspective of originality or make a generalized claim to a definitive statement about collector interest vs. other if you do, as you may likely be missing a part of the evaluation for collectors in general.
    Interesting note in your conversation was that CGC recently (in their interviews revolving around Pulp Fiction) stated their love of Bally/Williams golden age as a main influencing factor in their design process decisions etc.. For me it was one of the aspects that led me to wanting Pulp Fiction, and having a better appreciation for their games in general. It also was the basis of my observation here: given this, why do they use a flipper design that feels/functions like Stern and not Bally/Williams? I've often wondered event outside of this context why no current manufacturer has replicated the Bally/Williams flipper feel/function. I assumed it likely was either a copyright or hardware limitation but with CGC's licensing and focus on Bally Williams as inspiration it was an interesting and currently unresolved question I had related to their games and other manufacturers as well, and to me, is a vital and missing piece for my personal interest in some of their other titles (to me, they don't shoot at all like the originals given this difference, and for me, having come up on pins in that era, it's an essential design element, otherwise the game doesn't 'feel' right when shooting it).

Pulp is designed by Play Mechanix, not CGC

#4307 11 months ago

Sadly I think this was my last episode of TPS that I will listen to.

I expected Zach to comment on the Patreon thing, I thought maybe he’d take an opportunity to say how much he appreciates any support the listeners give to the show, monetary or otherwise. I thought maybe he’d say how he was misunderstood and of course he understands that even people who can spend thousands of dollars on a pinball machine still understand the value of $1 or $10. Maybe he’d say that he certainly didn’t mean to call his listeners cheap if they were questioning his pricing model for his Patreon.

Instead of those options, Zach decided to take the snarky route and make comments about how people should consult their financial planner before committing $10 to the Patreon.

Well, for me, it’s not really a matter of spending $10; it’s a matter of how I choose to spend my time. I choose not to spend 2 hours listening to a podcast whose host acts like this towards the listeners. I can get my pinball news elsewhere.

Thanks and best of luck going forward Zach and Dennis, after 5 years or so of listening to you, it’s time to move on.

#4308 11 months ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Sadly I think this was my last episode of TPS that I will listen to.
    I expected Zach to comment on the Patreon thing, I thought maybe he’d take an opportunity to say how much he appreciates any support the listeners give to the show, monetary or otherwise. I thought maybe he’d say how he was misunderstood and of course he understands that even people who can spend thousands of dollars on a pinball machine still understand the value of $1 or $10. Maybe he’d say that he certainly didn’t mean to call his listeners cheap if they were questioning his pricing model for his Patreon.
    Instead of those options, Zach decided to take the snarky route and make comments about how people should consult their financial planner before committing $10 to the Patreon.
    Well, for me, it’s not really a matter of spending $10; it’s a matter of how I choose to spend my time. I choose not to spend 2 hours listening to a podcast whose host acts like this towards the listeners. I can get my pinball news elsewhere.
    Thanks and best of luck going forward Zach and Dennis, after 5 years or so of listening to you, it’s time to move on.

Fair enough. I feel as if I have spent too much time explaining that it was a joke (twice now on shows and now again here in written form). We very much appreciate you listening over the last 5 years and hope you enjoy the next 5 years of The Pinball Show.

#4309 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Fair enough. I feel as if I have spent too much time explaining that it was a joke (twice now on shows and now again here in written form). We very much appreciate you listening over the last 5 years and hope you enjoy the next 5 years of The Pinball Show.

Great, maybe next time you explain it was a joke don’t double down and be snarky about how $10 is your mortgage and the listener should consult their accountant before committing. To me that came off as another “F you cheap people who are complaining” moment. Maybe that wasn’t what was intended. Best of luck.

#4310 11 months ago

Great, maybe next time you explain it was a joke don’t double down and be snarky about how $10 is your mortgage and the listener should consult their accountant before committing. To me that came off as another “F you cheap people who are complaining” moment. Maybe that wasn’t what was intended. Best of luck.

Yeah to me that makes more sense as a joke than me really intending for others to consult their financial advisors. You’re better off not listening to my poor attempts as humor. Better for your health. Better for your wallet.

#DONTBUYDONTBUYDONTBUY

#4311 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah to me that makes more sense as a joke than me really intending for others to consult their financial advisors. You’re better off not listening to my poor attempts as humor. Better for your health. Better for your wallet.
    #DONTBUYDONTBUYDONTBUY

Well, given that I’ve spent nearly $20,000 on new pinball machines in the last 2 months, my wallet could use a break.

Of course you didn’t really intend for others to consult their financial advisors, that wasn’t my point but I won’t belabor this anymore.

Podcast just doesn’t seem to be for me anymore and that’s fine, not every podcast is for every listener.

#4312 11 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

ZMeny is Charlie Emory completely out of the picture at Spooky? Retired?
    He has literally fallen off the radar

Zach ^

#4314 11 months ago
    Quoted from WildRover:

Yeah Zach f*ck you guy!

That’s the first thought that goes through my head everyone morning when I wake up! He has me so worked up with this Patreon shit. I was working on solving world hunger but have completely pivoted to this travesty in pinball where podcasters have Patreon. We WILL get to the bottom of this. I even joined his Patreon so I could dismantle this craziness from the inside.

#4315 11 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Pulp is designed by Play Mechanix, not CGC

Understood, but from what I understand it's being built by CGC and incorporates their design ethos.

#4316 11 months ago
    Quoted from WildRover:

Yeah Zach f*ck you guy!

Opinion: PantherCityPins voiced his thoughts here in a pretty honest and level-headed way, after supporting the podcast and network for several years (check his posts in the thread). The first time he has an opinion you guys disagree with, you feel the need to sarcastically reduce his viewpoint with stuff like this? I'd be peacing out too.

The optics/messaging for the patreon rollout for TPS weren't the greatest, and that's fine-- whatever, water under the bridge. But the way the criticism is being responded to over the last couple pages is really disappointing. :/

#4317 11 months ago

I wouldn't take it so personable. It's just a pinball podcast right?

I thought the "consult your financial planner" banter was pretty funny myself. Just sayin.....

#4318 11 months ago
    Quoted from thekaiser82:

That’s the first thought that goes through my head everyone morning when I wake up! He has me so worked up with this Patreon shit. I was working on solving world hunger but have completely pivoted to this travesty in pinball where podcasters have Patreon. We WILL get to the bottom of this. I even joined his Patreon so I could dismantle this craziness from the inside.

#4319 11 months ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Opinion: PantherCityPins voiced his thoughts here in a pretty honest and level-headed way, after supporting the podcast and network for several years (check his posts in the thread). The first time he has an opinion you guys disagree with, you feel the need to sarcastically reduce his viewpoint with stuff like this? I'd be peacing out too.
    The optics/messaging for the patreon rollout for TPS weren't the greatest, and that's fine-- whatever, water under the bridge. But the way the criticism is being responded to over the last couple pages is really disappointing. :/

Yeah, this has been disappointing to me too. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that Dennis is onboard with the $10 a month vs the more traditional $5. He's usually the voice of reason which is why he's my favorite part of TPS.

#4320 11 months ago

Word, just trying to lighten the tension is all. Carry on!

#4321 11 months ago
    Quoted from WildRover:

Word, just trying to lighten the tension is all. Carry on!

Same. My attempt at humor was apparently as well received as Zach’s.

#4322 11 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah, this has been disappointing to me too. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that Dennis is onboard with the $10 a month vs the more traditional $5. He's usually the voice of reason which is why he's my favorite part of TPS.

Because the market will handle it. Zach crafted a tier proposal with benefits associated to each tier. I was fine with it because it either works or it doesn't work. And if it didn't work then it could be changed. The tiers are all about the incentives as the podcast itself remains as it was (free). So, someone can look and either say "I think the extra audio content and Discord is worth $10 each month" or they can say "heck no, $10 is stupid but I'd pay $X" or they can say "I'd never pay anything for this dreck." All answers are right.

If the Patreon wasn't seeing participation we'd have had a conversation about the tiers. If the goal was to maximize revenue or something that might also be a discussion. It isn't set up that way. The TPS Patreon is for the add-ons. You either like them at the price or you don't. Vote with your wallet.

The EGP Patreon is what 90s kids might remember as the "shareware" model. We don't promise any add-ons (sure, we try and give a monthly Baby's First and polls and stuff but those aren't guaranteed and each tier is treated identically), it's solely a model for those that want to shareware-support the show. TPS doesn't have a tier for shareware support; the show is free, you decide on the add-ons (that said, Patreon will let you submit a custom amount to TPS, I think as low as $1/month, if someone really wanted to send money but not pay for a tier and didn't want any tier benefits).

#4323 11 months ago

When I think of paying for a podcast, I believe Spooky set expectations that joining their club was a way You could support Them. They give you some trinkets but generally it keeps you plugged into them and what’s going on and it greases their wheels to produce videos. I want to support them and $75 annual charge is pretty low. I’m not looking to get $75 of merchandise, no I want to give them $75 and be part of the club. TPS costs $120 to support them, which I like to do because I feel the value in the podcasts. I pay Pinball Party podcast $60 per year to help support the host and keep him broadcasting. I pay $60 per year to K-Man to get podcasts. All in all I feel I am paying my share at about $300 per year. That’s a lot but not really. I went to nice dinner with drinks but no wine and it was $300. Worth it but that was one night.

But fear not, if you don’t want to pay as a supporter, don’t. The above 4 all offer a free podcast. And that’s something every Financial Adviser can recommend.

#4324 11 months ago

When I think of paying for a podcast, I believe Spooky set expectations that joining their club was a way You could support Them. They give you some trinkets but generally it keeps you plugged into them and what’s going on and it greases their wheels to produce videos. I want to support them and $75 annual charge is pretty low. I’m not looking to get $75 of merchandise, no I want to give them $75 and be part of the club. TPS costs $120 to support them, which I like to do because I feel the value in the podcasts. I pay Pinball Party podcast $60 per year to help support the host and keep him broadcasting. I pay $60 per year to K-Man to get podcasts. All in all I feel I am paying my share at about $300 per year. That’s a lot but not really. I went to nice dinner with drinks but no wine and it was $300. Worth it but that was one night.
    But fear not, if you don’t want to pay as a supporter, don’t. The above 4 all offer a free podcast.

You had me until “ I pay $60 per year to K-Man to get podcasts.”

#4325 11 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

You had me until “ I pay $60 per year to K-Man to get podcasts.”

But you can listen for free too.

#4326 11 months ago

All jokes aside, we never intended on pissing people off with a Patreon support offering. We put a lot into creating something for our fellow enthusiasts to enjoy. It’s why we still create, in my opinion, the best podcast in the industry, and it’s free.

We wanted to offer additional content/membership/engagement as well, which is a form of monetary support.

Again, my apologies for angering people or being hit daily multiple times with frustration from people that I attempt to make lite of things in order to not say to myself ‘fuck it, I’m done doing any of it’. My apologies for that. That is on me and I will continue to try better to process the wide-ranging and frequent feedback that I receive that is both publicly and privately presented. Tomorrow’s another day. I love pinball and I love creating content about it with one of my best friends, regardless of who listens or who monetarily supports it.

#4327 11 months ago

Pinball Party Podcast Episode 29: Rachel and Cale kick it...sup?

Host: Jason
    Guest hosts: Rachel Bess and Cale Hernandez

Patreon: patreon.com/pinballparty

Is Stern's Foo Fighters still the best? What games are earning big on location? Who on location needs to Figure it Out? Rachel, Cale, and I discuss all that and...wait WHAT?

Show notes:
    - Sup
    - Top earners on location
    - GZ Pro better than Prem, guy?
    - Figure It Out Special Edition
    - Drawing dicks for money
    - Down These Roads - Neon Dale

Patreon: patreon.com/pinballparty
    Email: [email protected]
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pinballpartypodcast
    Neon Dale: https://www.neondale.com  

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-726ei-140607d

pinball party new logo (resized).pngpinball party new logo (resized).png
    #4328 11 months ago

But you can listen for free too.

Ha. You couldn’t pay me to listen to that heap of poison. Doesn’t remotely represent how I like to experience the hobby… I guess if you enjoy listening to someone talk about how great they are, while railing on other people, then acting as if everyone should be friends…

Reminds me a lot of the maturity level my kids had in 2nd grade.

It all comes down to character and quality of people. And I didn’t realize how poisonous and unnecessary his useless drivel was/is until I stopped listening a few years ago. I’ve heard it once or twice since, and it’s so pitiful, it’s laughable.

I’m more than happy to open my ears to the content on TPN. Again, character and quality of people.

#4329 11 months ago

Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast Episode 6: FAST Road Trip! 

Host: Dan Rosenstein 
    Special Guest: Aaron Davis, Fast Pinball

https://fastpinball.com/

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-y3k7f-1408d51

Pinball Innovators logo (resized).pngPinball Innovators logo (resized).png
    #4330 11 months ago

Silverball Chronicles with David and Ron

Episode 30 – “Pinball’s Centenarian – Wayne Neyens”

Want to Support the Show? Visit Our Patreon at www.patreon.com/silverballchronicles  or pick up a t-shirt at 

https://silverballswag.com/collections/silverball-chronicles 

Topic Starts at 9:10

Episode Summary 

A Centenarian is someone linked to longevity, someone who has seen it all come and go, then be reinvented again. Wayne Neyens is pinball's Centenarian; he was there at the beginning, and he was there when it ended… a couple of times… and he witnessed the rebirth we now see today before his passing at age 104. He was the last of his pinball generation, the last of the woodrail masters and the man who gave his whole life to making people smile at the silverball. 

This month Dave and Ron discuss growing up in the Great Depression, 1930’s cubicles, Westerns, Jimmy Johnson, Harry Mabs, The Gottlieb - David Gottlieb, Wayne’s most popular games like Slick Chick and Kings and Queens, Add-A-Ball and Wedgeheads, the amazing artist Roy Parker AND we make fun 1940’s radio voices! 

Sources can be found at thepinballnetwork.podbean.com

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-htb8e-1409879

silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpegsilverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    #4331 11 months ago

Wayne was a one-of-a-kind person.

He was the subject of several podcast interviews, and while I'm posting, a small plug for Coin-Op Carnival #1, which has a long form interview with Wayne. We discussed what he did during the War, for example, and talked about some things unrelated to pinball or briefly touched on in the episode above.

Ryan and I were very fortunate to be able to have the gifts of time, knowledge, and friendship with Wayne.

On the way back from TPF, where we released Coin-Op Carnival, I stopped by his home in Arkansas to tell him how it was received. He famously said that though he loved the bingos for their ingenuity and incredible circuitry, he had never seriously played one.

Here he is playing (and winning!) his first game on my Multi-Bingo. He was excellent at anticipating the ball's position and nudging correctly, and capitalized on it immediately. I was extremely impressed.

IMG_20190325_113738 (resized).jpgIMG_20190325_113738 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190325_114213 (resized).jpgIMG_20190325_114213 (resized).jpg

His impact on the industry is astounding, and the games he designed are tremendous fun.

Regarding the episode, the ball save gate was only used on a few games from different manufacturers and was a way to guarantee play time. Gottlieb's version was a metal V that pops up between the flippers. It is angled so that a ball will come to rest on a flipper when it lands on the gate. After hitting a specific threshold of score per ball, it will drop, allowing a ball to pass to the drain pocket. Score is different from 'points', which are a completely separate scoring mechanism, and allowed for a separate way to play and win these games. A third way would be sequence based. For example, collecting all of one type of card in Queen of Hearts.

This method of rewarding the player meant that his games would often require a change of strategy as you approach the last ball. Earning the replay is always tantalizingly close, but not easy or a given.

The PPM videos that you speak about are fantastic, as are those with designer John Osborne -

. And Pinball Magazine #5 is of course excellent as well for information on each game Wayne designed, in chronological order, with photos.

#4332 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Silverball Chronicles with David and Ron
    Episode 30 – “Pinball’s Centenarian – Wayne Neyens”
    Want to Support the Show? Visit Our Patreon at www.patreon.com/silverballchronicles  or pick up a t-shirt at 
    https://silverballswag.com/collections/silverball-chronicles 
    Topic Starts at 9:10
    Episode Summary 
    A Centenarian is someone linked to longevity, someone who has seen it all come and go, then be reinvented again. Wayne Neyens is pinball's Centenarian; he was there at the beginning, and he was there when it ended… a couple of times… and he witnessed the rebirth we now see today before his passing at age 104. He was the last of his pinball generation, the last of the woodrail masters and the man who gave his whole life to making people smile at the silverball. 
    This month Dave and Ron discuss growing up in the Great Depression, 1930’s cubicles, Westerns, Jimmy Johnson, Harry Mabs, The Gottlieb - David Gottlieb, Wayne’s most popular games like Slick Chick and Kings and Queens, Add-A-Ball and Wedgeheads, the amazing artist Roy Parker AND we make fun 1940’s radio voices! 
    Sources can be found at thepinballnetwork.podbean.com
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-htb8e-1409879
    [quoted image]

Thought chatgpt could educate us all. As someone who grew up in South Africa I love the Canadian-us banter on pronunciation, so I thought I’d let you know that American ZEE has to be the odd one out, whereas the English ZED is the original. If you’re gonna speak English, might as well not have any Dutch in it :

The difference in pronunciation of the letter "z" between Americans and the English can be traced back to the 18th century. At that time, the English language was undergoing a standardization process, and the pronunciation of certain letters was being standardized. The letter "z" was pronounced as "zed" in England, and this pronunciation was adopted as the standard.

In the United States, however, the pronunciation of the letter "z" as "zee" was already in use. This pronunciation likely originated from the Dutch language, which was spoken by many early settlers in the United States. In Dutch, the letter "z" is pronounced as "zee," and this pronunciation was likely adopted by English speakers in the United States.

Over time, the pronunciation of the letter "z" as "zee" became firmly established in American English, while the pronunciation of "zed" remained the standard in England and other English-speaking countries.

#4333 11 months ago

And btw I’m really enjoying the episode, maybe David gottleib himself should be the next in line? Have an awesome Sunday and thanks for a great show! WildRover that goes for this weeks episode of PP too.

#4334 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Pinball Party Podcast Episode 29: Rachel and Cale kick it...sup?

Why don’t arcades just use quarters instead of tokens with all that trouble?

#4335 11 months ago
    Quoted from Caponicus:

Why don’t arcades just use quarters instead of tokens with all that trouble?

I was thinking the same thing .
    You have to pay to get tokens made and you still have to empty the cash box and you can get ripped off , what's the benefit ?
    We don't have tokens over here .

#4336 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

You have to pay to get tokens made and you still have to empty the cash box and you can get ripped off , what's the benefit ?

Tokens are great but can be used in other Arcades if size is similar.

One plus for tokens would be weekly specials- say 10 for a dollar.

#4337 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

I think the main benefit is, you’ve made your money once the tokens are purchased, whether the tokens are used or not.

#4338 11 months ago

The Pinball Show Episode 127.5: Is Harry Potter Pinball Really Happening?!

Host: Zach Meny

- Joe Kaminkow Casts A Spell On The Pinball Hobby
    - The History & Lore Of The Rumored Harry Potter Pinball
    - Is It Really Happening?
    - When?
    - How?
    - Why?
    - What?...

EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND TPS MEMBERSHIP CAN BE FOUND AT Patreon.com/thepinballshow

Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Show (TPS), the industry's most popular podcast!

email: [email protected]
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballshow
    instagram: @thepinballshowpodcast
    tik tok: @thepinballshow
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/
    store: flipnoutpinball.com
    membership: patreon.com/thepinballshow

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-3da2z-140be47

ThePinballShow_VectorLogo (resized).pngThePinballShow_VectorLogo (resized).png
    #4339 11 months ago

Alright, ya got me, Patreon'd Pinball Show for the "hairy" secrets and Pinball Party cause Jason and Cale deserve some support too.

#4340 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 127.5: Is Harry Potter Pinball Really Happening?!
    Host: Zach Meny
    - Joe Kaminkow Casts A Spell On The Pinball Hobby
    - The History & Lore Of The Rumored Harry Potter Pinball
    - Is It Really Happening?
    - When?
    - How?
    - Why?
    - What?...
    Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Show (TPS), the industry's most popular podcast!
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-3da2z-140be47[quoted image]

So no TPS episode this week?

#4341 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gutterghoul:

Alright, ya got me, Patreon'd Pinball Show for the "hairy" secrets and Pinball Party cause Jason and Cale deserve some support too.

Big thanks for the support! And very much appreciate you coming to the club. Make sure to hop on Discord to discuss more about the episode.

#4342 11 months ago

awesome, noting this post as I will be redoing the now defunct "podcasts and video streams," starting next month. It seems I have my work cut out reviving this. But your post is a great start. I'm also a part of a pinball consortium, vpinhub.com, and look forward to checking out your various streamers, and seeing if there are any I already know. So, to all the pinheads I have yet to meet, GGs, let's worship together at the alter of the silver ball!

Bob

#4343 11 months ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 37: Holy Crap, Harry Potter!

Hosts: Joel Engelberth, Tom Graf, & Travis Murie

Well, Harry Potter was just announced… kind of. The three of us dive into that and share our overall thoughts and how we think those few sentences can affect the entire industry. We talk about our new merch as well as the European and World Tournaments that Tom and Travis are about to play in. Fun casual conversation that we hope you all enjoy!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tripledrain
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tripledrainpodcast/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/tripledrain
    Email: [email protected]
    Merch: https://silverballswag.com/collections/triple-drain-pinball-podcast
    More Merch:https://www.zazzle.com/store/tripledrain
    Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/triple_drain
    Shoutout to Jackson Gee and his incredible artwork. jacksongee.com
    Shoutout to Brad Johanson and his company Alter Creative Media for his intro video. Altercreativemedia.com

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-aigp9-140ddc8

triple drain 37 thumbnail (resized).pngtriple drain 37 thumbnail (resized).png
    #4344 11 months ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 37 VIDEO MODE

#4345 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 37 VIDEO MODE

In honor of Joel's totally credible hot news that Steve Ritchie jumped to JJP specifically to design Harry Potter...

Hagrid Ritchie2 (resized).pngHagrid Ritchie2 (resized).png
    #4346 11 months ago

The Pinball Show Episode 128: Harry Potter & The Squirt Of Passion

Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny

- Dennis Is The Embodiment Of Pinball Media Logic
    - Stern Pinball Production Updates
    - Kaminkow Goes Kapow For Harry Potter Pinball
    - Forecasting Harry Potter Release, Pricing, & Features
    - PinClash: Godzilla Edition
    - The Great Reproduction Debate
    - MEMBERS ONLY: Collectors Corner - Theatre Of Magic
    - 2.NO
    - The Art Of Saying A Lot Without Saying Anything At All & Actually Killing With Kindness
    - Pinball Market Trends™
    - The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom...for clickbait purposes...
    - Deals Of The Week™

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-4sd2a-1415c06

ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).pngThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    #4347 11 months ago

This made me laugh.

IMG_4396 (resized).jpegIMG_4396 (resized).jpeg
    #4348 11 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

This made me laugh. [quoted image]

Details are everything

C0DF2167-3A63-4F3C-9D07-36811CA418F6 (resized).pngC0DF2167-3A63-4F3C-9D07-36811CA418F6 (resized).png
    #4349 11 months ago

The Pinball Show Episode 128 BONUS: Collectors Corner - Theatre Of Magic

https://www.patreon.com/posts/pinball-show-ep-83399256?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

ThePinballShow_VectorLogo (resized).pngThePinballShow_VectorLogo (resized).png
    #4350 11 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 128: Harry Potter & The Squirt Of Passion
    Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny
    - Dennis Is The Embodiment Of Pinball Media Logic
    - Stern Pinball Production Updates
    - Kaminkow Goes Kapow For Harry Potter Pinball
    - Forecasting Harry Potter Release, Pricing, & Features
    - PinClash: Godzilla Edition
    - The Great Reproduction Debate
    - MEMBERS ONLY: Collectors Corner - Theatre Of Magic
    - 2.NO
    - The Art Of Saying A Lot Without Saying Anything At All & Actually Killing With Kindness
    - Pinball Market Trends™
    - The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom...for clickbait purposes...
    - Deals Of The Week™
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-4sd2a-1415c06[quoted image]

Great episode. Loved hearing everything about H.P. For the record, Dennis was wrong about Harry Potter being made.

Final scores - Jersey Jack 1, Kapow 0, jkrowling 0, Dennis 0 and H.P. Fans 100+

There are 4,826 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.