(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: The Pinball Show Ep 151: How Many People Are Buying New Pinball Machi

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,833 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the pinball show logo (resized).png
    Hamish_Campbell (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    UpperFlipperCutouts (resized).jpg
    IMG_8472 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8471 (resized).jpeg
    triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,833 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 97.
    #3951 1 year ago

Shout out to Ben Smith and his creation of this new merch design! He sent us this logo as a joke and we decided to roll with it. I'm assuming Travis loves it but I can't see him so I don't really know. Shirts and Hoodies available!

https://silverballswag.com/collections/triple-drain-pinball-podcast/products/short-sleeve-t-shirt-1?variant=39819788058682

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 3.11.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-01-11 at 3.11.41 PM (resized).png
    #3952 1 year ago

Off The Record Pinball Podcast Presents:

Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast Episode 1 - You Gotta Start Somewhere

Host: Dan Rosenstein

Introducing Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast, a new monthly podcast that discusses everything custom pinball, engineering, mechanisms, and the creation of fun!

Let TPN know if you like the direction of this new pinball podcast offering by emailing [email protected]

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-vhygz-136283d

Off The Record Podcast logo (resized).jpgOff The Record Podcast logo (resized).jpg
    #3953 1 year ago

Silverball Chronicles with David and Ron
    Episode 28: Pinball is Dying Part 3 - Bally-Midway

Want to Support the Show? Join Our Patreon and get early access to each episode: www.patreon.com/silverballchronicles  

Topic Starts at 11:11 

Episode Summary 
    It's time to revisit our 'Pinball Is Dying' series. This ongoing series is made to depress and to delight. What do we mean by that? Well, the pinball industry and the hobby around it has always been fragile. It has ups and downs which during its history has swung violently. Brilliant minds have come and gone. Many have been crushed by the emotional weight of competition and the stress of impending layoffs. 

Join us this month as we talk about the final Bally Manufacturing Corp games, really dumb corporate strategies, the art of an era, bodybuilding, terrible cabinet materials, a tangent for some reason about the MCU's Iron Man, and the end of Bally-Midway. 

Sources can be found at thepinballnetwork.net

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-cb7vw-13637e5

chronicles logo (resized).jpegchronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    #3954 1 year ago

That's my favourite podcast! Thanks ZMeny

#3955 1 year ago

The Pinball Show Episode 121 Part 1: James Bond 60th - License To Shill Or Dr. Hell No

Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny

- James Bond 60th Anniversary SLE
    - $20k All Day?
    - It's A Collector Trap!
    - Target Audience: Bond Collectors Or Pinball LE-tists? 
    - Top Stories With Craig Bobbie 

Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Network (TPN), the industry leader in pinball broadcasting.

email: [email protected]
    facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-uamw9-13657c7

ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).pngThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    #3956 1 year ago

The Pinball Show Episode 121 Part 2: From BUY Now! To CRY Now! #crycrycry

Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny

- Bond 60th Anniversary First Impressions
    - Craig Bobbie's Big Bold Stern Pinball Predictions
    - Exclusive 007 Topper?
    - (clickbait) Back To The Future Pinball & Harry Potter Pinball
    - Spooky Pinball Expands Operations & Scooby Is On The Line
    - INDISC New Mascot
    - TWIPYs Re-Revisit Fathom
    - The Pinball Awards January 28th 2023 LFG!
    - Poor Flippy...
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Lazy Pinball Media
    - From BUY! BUY! BUY! To CRY! CRY! CRY!
    - Ice Cold Beer Arcade Remake Coming Soon To Flip N Out Pinball

Follow, like, and subscribe to The Pinball Network (TPN), the industry leader in pinball broadcasting.

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-siwhm-1365cc1

ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).pngThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    #3957 1 year ago

Great listen to latest TPS.

I think the both of you have great insights in to the bond 60th game..
    I believe the both of you are correct with Dennis' thought about who the game was made for being more in line. 20k thematic pinball is geared toward the super collector of the theme. 65/35 split towards the super fan.

I also think that they will reuse the playfield layout for this game with a future game. Ala Metallica/Guardians, with a few small tweaks.

FOMO is an evil mistress

#3958 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dwboca:

Great listen to latest TPS.
    I think the both of you have great insights in to the bond 60th game..
    I believe the both of you are correct with Dennis' thought about who the game was made for being more in line. 20k thematic pinball is geared toward the super collector of the theme. 65/35 split towards the super fan.
    I also think that they will reuse the playfield layout for this game with a future game. Ala Metallica/Guardians, with a few small tweaks.
    FOMO is an evil mistress

good takes and thanks for listening. But your 65/35 is flip-flopped hehehe

#3959 1 year ago

All Stern needs to do is retheme the 60th Elwin layout as STARGAZER 2, ditch the playfield screen..its unneeded.... price it at $7500 and sell thousands of them.

Everyone is happy.

#3960 1 year ago

TPN Special PSA
    Rachel's Corner: IFPA Women's State Pinball Championships

Host: Rachel Ristow

A little podcast highlighting women's pinball and the upcoming state championships.

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-c3fd2-1367fbc

#3961 1 year ago

Episode 121 Part 2: From BUY Now! To CRY Now! was superb. The rebuttal was so good and 100% spot on and more importantly - delivered effectively. What a mind trip. Anyways, points made we are all ready to move on and continue to prosper. Somewhere in the world an eagle is is screeching and a goat is screaming.

#3962 1 year ago

I hope whoever fake ordered the 60th has gone on a special list. What a douche move.

#3963 1 year ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

All Stern needs to do is retheme the 60th Elwin layout as STARGAZER 2, ditch the playfield screen..its unneeded.... price it at $7500 and sell thousands of them

Everyone says this … unfortunately it shows a lack of knowing how business works.

Assume a cost to manufacture of $5000 (random figure but a decent guess)

500 games made in a week x $20,000 each = 10,000,000 - manufacturing cost $2,500,000 = $7,500,000 profit. In one week.

2000 games made over 4 weeks x $7,500 = 15,000,000 - cost to manufacture $10,000,000 = $5,000,000 profit. And you’ve tied up the factory for 4 weeks.

Your concept takes 4x more time to make. And makes $2.5 million less profit.

For manufacturing (and retailing) low numbers and huge margins make a lot of sense.

rd

#3964 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Off The Record Pinball Podcast Presents:
    Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast Episode 1 - You Gotta Start Somewhere
    Host: Dan Rosenstein
    Introducing Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast, a new monthly podcast that discusses everything custom pinball, engineering, mechanisms, and the creation of fun!
    Let TPN know if you like the direction of this new pinball podcast offering by emailing [email protected]
    https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-vhygz-136283d
    [quoted image]

Yes! As someone who is considering getting into the re-theme/homebrew side of the hobby I am SO EXCITED for this podcast!!!

#3965 1 year ago

I thought the conversation about re-theming the Elwin bond game was interesting with good points on both sides. I think putting out a game by the most popular current designer and making it extremely difficult for most people to play it isn't good for the hobby. Knowing that there's a good chance I may never get to play that game bums me out. If Stern's goal is to keep growing the hobby (and therefore their business) I think they should re-skin it to a fun theme with good artwork and sell it at LE pricing to help protect some of the value of the Bond60. That would be a good compromise for everyone.

#3966 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dwboca:

Anyone buying James Bond 60th based on the assumption that it is the only game Stern will produce that will ever use that layout is taking a gamble for sure.

Quoted from rotordave:

Everyone says this … unfortunately it shows a lack of knowing how business works.

500 games made in a week x $20,000 each = 10,000,000 - manufacturing cost $2,500,000 = $7,500,000 profit. In one week.

2000 games made over 4 weeks x $7,500 = 15,000,000 - cost to manufacture $10,000,000 = $5,000,000 profit. And you’ve tied up the factory for 4 weeks.

For manufacturing (and retailing) low numbers and huge margins make a lot of sense.

True. But why not do both? Stern most likely wouldn't be able to sell another 500 of the game at the high price, but could maybe sell another 1000 at a discounted price with a different theme. Wouldn't be as profitable as the Bond 60ths, but would still be highly profitable. Two weeks work, 2.5 mill profit using your numbers. Sounds like real money.

#3967 1 year ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Stern most likely wouldn't be able to sell another 500 of the game at the high price, but could maybe sell another 1000 at a discounted price with a different theme. Wouldn't be as profitable as the Bond 60ths, but would still be highly profitable. Two weeks work, 2.5 mill profit using your numbers. Sounds like real money.

Because everyone who just paid $20,000 bucks for their 500 only, limited edition game will be really pissed off and never buy another $20,000 game again.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you! The Whales are there to be continually drip fed enticing “rarities” cough cough and be relived of their dollars.

No need for them to reuse this layout. Just spend a month and make another similar one. The designers are on salary … Use the same software framework and change the assets.

Most of this stuff is pretty commonsense really. Added …. But this is Stern we are talking about .. so who knows!

rd

#3968 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Yep... I understand that.
    I should have put in the caveat that I was thinking a year or two down the road, when Stern is in the Bigger factory, with an extra build Line or two.

#3969 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Because everyone who just paid $20,000 bucks for their 500 only, limited edition game will be really pissed off and never buy another $20,000 game again.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you! The Whales are there to be continually drip fed enticing “rarities” cough cough and be relived of their dollars.

No need to reuse this layout. Just spend a month and make another similar one. The designers are on salary … Use the same software framework and change the assets.

Most of this stuff is pretty commonsense really.

My response was to your assertion that it made no economic sense to run a different pin with the same layout. As to the pivot to whether or not it would piss off the whales, possibly.

I could see Stern making the argument that it was only limited in that there were only ever going to be 500 James Bond 60th anniversary pins ever made. I don't see anywhere they promised to make this layout exclusive for all time.

As for Stern biting the hand that feeds them, that goes on constantly. TWD Premium, Munsters Color Premium both pissed off the LE buyers. Elvira SLE, then Elvira 40th anniversary also come to mind.

"Common sense" would predict future behavior based on past patterns, so anyone assuming it wouldn't happen again are the ones not thinking clearly about it imo.

#3970 1 year ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

"Common sense" would predict future behavior based on past patterns, so anyone assuming it wouldn't happen again are the ones not thinking clearly about it imo.

Funny … because I almost put a caveat at the end of that sentence that said “but this is Stern we are talking about here”.

Hey - as I said in the JB60th thread - as a long term pinball owner, I don’t like the way this is all going. $2000 toppers? $13,000 LEs? - get the f**k outta here with that shit.

But from the business side - hard to fault what Stern is doing. Minimise the output and maximise the profit. They keep on jacking up the prices and people keep buying their stuff.

It’s a few years later than I thought it would be - Gary stayed on way longer than I expected - but prepare yourself for the sale of the company for megabucks, and Gary and Dave’s retirements.

rd

#3971 1 year ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

My response was to your assertion that it made no economic sense to run a different pin with the same layout.

No, that’s not what I was meaning.

In the JB60th thread countless people have said “they should make this $7000 and they’d sell a bunch”

My point is WHY would they do that? When people like Zach will willingly hand over $20,000 a pop.

They’d be stupid to do that. Take Zachs $20,000 and run.

Then Zach can buy a Beatles and put it in a regular Stern cabinet. Because the Beatles can doesn’t match the other pins. OMG Zach! My head was almost exploding when I heard all that stuff about the Radical backbox!

As a tribute to you, here’s a picture that will no doubt make your skin crawl . Rest assured that the 100s of people who see this every year *dont* *give* *one* *shit*.

rd
    69604031-78BD-4D6C-B5CC-643E3063BA31 (resized).jpeg69604031-78BD-4D6C-B5CC-643E3063BA31 (resized).jpeg

#3972 1 year ago

Post fail

#3973 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

It’s a few years later than I thought it would be - Gary stayed on way longer than I expected - but prepare yourself for the sale of the company for megabucks, and Gary and Dave’s retirements.

Agreed. That's what I've been thinking ever since they hired Seth. They are going to be doing everything they can to maximize valuation. Rough ride for pinball enthusiasts.

#3974 1 year ago

I’m not sure of the appeal of JB60. One could buy 3 pro’s designed by Elwin for the price of a single level game by Elwin. Any of Elwin’s 4 designs is better than this one. The only constant I can derive is the buyer of JB60 is not concerned about gameplay. Rather it must be the collectibility of the game that is motivating sales. I am not into buying collectible pins so am not a target audience for this offering. No anger was added.

Also - I see the grass roots developing of a new movement - Pinball Purchase Bullying (PPB). PPB must end! Stop the shaming of rich, white dudes. Why can’t we all just get along? You are more likely to score an invite to play one if you are nice to these patrons.
    749582F6-5C1C-4036-AFF1-DA214698A280.jpeg749582F6-5C1C-4036-AFF1-DA214698A280.jpeg

#3975 1 year ago

I was dying laughing at the "Flippy" bit... Figure it out!

#3976 1 year ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 29.5: INDISC 2023 Recap

Hosts: Joel Engelberth & Travis Murie

This is a “mini” episode with just Joel and Travis as they recap INDISC 2023. It was an amazing tournament to watch and experience so they decided to discuss some of the really cool moments that came out of it. If you are a tournament player you will love the discussion, but even if you aren’t, you’ll probably still get a few laughs along the way. Enjoy!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tripledrain
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tripledrainpodcast/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/tripledrain
    Email: [email protected]
    Merch: https://silverballswag.com/collections/triple-drain-pinball-podcast
    Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/triple_drain
    Shoutout to Jackson Gee and his incredible artwork. www.jacksongee.com
    Shoutout to Karl DeAngelo and IEpinball on Twitch

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-ctmg4-136acd8

triple_drain_new_logo_sz5v26 (resized).jpegtriple_drain_new_logo_sz5v26 (resized).jpeg
    #3977 1 year ago

VIDEO MODE

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Ep 29.5: INDISC 2023 Recap

#3978 1 year ago

Very cool episode guys! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the INDISC stream all weekend long until late night here in the east coast and relate to Joel’s excitement during the finals, it kept me glued to the TV too. Great review and congrats to Travis!!

#3979 1 year ago

I enjoyed listening to the tournament talk. I’m never going to watch people play pinball for longer than a few minutes. That’s extremely boring to me.

But listening to what happened, boiled down to 15-20 minutes was perfect. Just telling me what happened, explaining thoughts going into the competition and a few anecdotes was way more interesting than watching pinball being played will ever be.

#3980 1 year ago

Pinball Party Podcast Episode 16: Gutter Language

Host: Jason

You come for the pinball and stay for the f*cks. Lots of random pinball topics to talk about today, so stop reading and listen!

Show notes:
    - News and emails and stuff
    - Figure It Out ™
    - Expensive D Game
    - Waiting game
    - INDISC is the shizznit
    - 2023 gonna be great!

The Pinball Awards: pinballawards.com 
    Voicemail: (262)-528-6625
    Email: [email protected] 
    Neon Dale: https://www.neondale.com  

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-se2x3-137228f

pinball party logolabel black (resized).pngpinball party logolabel black (resized).png
    #3983 1 year ago
    Quoted from WildRover:

F*ck f*ckf*ck f*ckf*ckf*ck f*ck

In Australia we would write
    Fuck , Fuck , Fuck , Fuck , Fuck , Fuck
    Happy Australia Day everyone .

IMG_20230126_191630 (resized).jpgIMG_20230126_191630 (resized).jpg
    #3984 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

In Australia we would write
    Fuck , Fuck , Fuck , Fuck , Fuck , Fuck
    Happy Australia Day everyone .
    [quoted image]

Which would be short for:
    "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge",
    And that's just to much to say.

And No Toe Tappin

#3985 1 year ago

THIS SATURDAY - CELEBRATE - WIN STUFF - LIVE

Playfields, Toppers, Backglasses, Limited Edition Collectibles, Banners, Shooter Rods, Art Blades, Accessories, AND MORE!

...maybe a few surprises as well

youtube.com/thepinballnetwork

the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).pngthe pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    #3986 1 year ago

Free Play Pinball Podcast Ep 20: A Chat With THE John Borg

Host: Amanda Hamilton
    Special Guest Host: Craig Bobbie
    Special Guest: John Borg, Senior Designer at Stern Pinball

A pinball designer, a Canadian, and a podcaster walk into a bar...

Amanda and CB interview legendary game designer John Borg, as they chat awards, the design process, and some of John's favorite memories over his very talented career.

Thanks again to John Borg and to Stern Pinball for the time and support!

Email: [email protected]
    Social: facebook.com/freeplaypinballpodcast

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-a6gba-1374dc0

free play pinball podcast logo.pdffree play pinball podcast logo.pdf
    #3987 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Free Play Pinball Podcast Ep 20: A Chat With THE John Borg

Interesting and well done interview.

#3988 1 year ago

Good job on the award show. The giveaways were a nice touch.

#3989 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Which would be short for:
    And that's just too much to say.

This is most likely not the origin of the word but don’t tell Van Halen…

#3990 1 year ago

Good award show last night. I predict this is going to be a rough morning for Amanda.

#3991 1 year ago

Enjoyed the Pinball Awards. Fun and entertaining

#3992 1 year ago

Pinball Awards was great, if I had won anything it would have been epic.

#3993 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Pinball Awards was great, if I had won anything it would have been epic.

If I had won the Rush Topper, Flip N Out would have a sale. thanks again

#3994 1 year ago

Pinball Party Podcast Episode 17: Post-Show Pre-Show Party

Host: Jason
    Guest Hosts: Greg Bone, Joel Engelberth, Dennis Kriesel, Amanda Hamilton, (brief George Fisher), and Zach Meny

While everyone gets ready for the live Pinball Awards, we sit down to talk about the new Scooby Doo gameplay, fav/least fav games, some of our biggest fears...and looking forward to 2023!

Show notes:
    - Dennis to my left
    - Meff wins Best Voiceover
    - Spooky Pinball's Scooby Doo gameplay 
    - Getting to know people's balls 
    - Getting too deep with the balls
    - Looking forward to 2023
    - Zach doesn't bathe
    - Show's over, deal with it

The Pinball Awards: 

Email: [email protected] 
    Neon Dale: https://www.neondale.com  

https://www.podbean.com/eas/pb-762xm-13786b7

pinball party logolabel black (resized).pngpinball party logolabel black (resized).png
    #3995 1 year ago

I just tried to get on tpn using my phone and computer and chrome gives me an unsafe webpage warning? Anyone else have this problem?

#3996 1 year ago

They didn't renew their domain name before expiry.

#3997 1 year ago

Or website certificate perhaps?

#3998 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

They didn't renew their domain name before expiry.

Ut oh

#3999 1 year ago

I've let Zach know, the post just references the wrong URL. The website is: http://thepinball.network/

EDIT: Actually, I think we had that URL functioning as a mirror to the Podbean URL at one point before having the TPN website made. If you are wanting the feed URL that I believe it pointed to, you can access that here: https://thepinballnetwork.podbean.com/

#4000 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I just tried to get on tpn using my phone and computer and chrome gives me an unsafe webpage warning? Anyone else have this problem?

Sure am.

There are 4,833 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.