(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: The Pinball Show Ep 151: How Many People Are Buying New Pinball Machi

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,833 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 hours ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the pinball show logo (resized).png
    Hamish_Campbell (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    UpperFlipperCutouts (resized).jpg
    IMG_8472 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8471 (resized).jpeg
    triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,833 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 97.
    #3101 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Lastly, my review (if you've read it) or rating of Halloween is me being completely honest

Your review was one sentence and you rated Halloween as the greatest game of all time. That is truly how you feel?

#3102 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

You are correct (I think), his input was not labeled a review. It was a first impressions or a quick-take. A review would have been more detailed and savage. Listeners have changed the intent of his words and have done him a disservice by calling it a review. But when he does give a review, I’ll watch it because it will tell things as they are.

Well at least he'll know his audience, you, want's him to be "detailed and savage"...

What is it with people these days and wanting to be jerks just to get attention, clicks, readership, viewership, listenership? Have we really become so toxic of a society that the only way anyone will listen to you is if you come at it from a point of rage? Tell things like they are... What a stupid phrase. It's a euphemism for being as much of an asshole as you can so you look tough enough for your opinion to be seen as valid. Which of course tends to lead to "telling it like it is" to mean "completely full of shit"...

Jeff

#3103 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Your review was one sentence and you rated Halloween as the greatest game of all time. That is truly how you feel?

I'm sorry I don't follow. I don't recall ever saying it's the greatest game of all time. I did say Spooky has something special on their hands. I did say the game will be a "Grand Slam" when the polish is there.

If you're going to put words in my mouth at least tell me where you got them from...

Jeff

#3104 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I'm sorry I don't follow. I don't recall ever saying it's the greatest game of all time. I did say Spooky has something special on their hands. I did say the game will be a "Grand Slam" when the polish is there.
    If you're going to put words in my mouth at least tell me where you got them from...
    Jeff

You rated the game over a 9.7. That is higher rated than any game currently on the top 100.

#3105 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

What is it with people these days and wanting to be jerks just to get attention, clicks, readership, viewership, listenership? Have we really become so toxic of a society that the only way anyone will listen to you is if you come at it from a point of rage?
    Jeff

Have you listened to anything else this guy has put out into the pinball community? None of this applies.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/84#post-6823968
    You came in here fired up because of this (misleading) post in the Halloween owner's club. It compromised your ability to be objective about the content of the episode, and now you're doubling down on what you *think* the intent of it was. You're projecting your larger frustrations (with non-owners' generally unfavorable opinions of Halloween) onto a single person, and that's why a handful of people are now speaking up in defense.

#3106 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

You rated the game over a 9.7. That is higher rated than any game currently on the top 100.

Which still doesn't equate to me supposedly saying "it's the greatest game of all time". I don't even pay attention to the ratings so I had no idea a rating that high was translated to mean that. No game is the greatest of all time, it's a completely subjective thing. It's my favorite game in my collection for sure, hands down, no contest. However, that's being a bit of a prisoner of the moment for sure since it's my newest game. But... It's the one that I want to play.

Again, all of this is silly in that I don't care whether you like the game or not. I want everyone to feel like they can like what they like without people telling them they're wrong. They're not. Sure I may not agree with them but that doesn't make them wrong.

Jeff

#3107 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Have you listened to anything else this guy has put out into the pinball community? None of this applies.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/84#post-6823968
    You came in here fired up because of this (misleading) post in the Halloween owner's club. It compromised your ability to be objective about the content of the episode, and now you're doubling down on what you *think* the intent of it was. You're projecting your larger frustrations (with non-owners' generally unfavorable opinions of Halloween) onto a single person, and that's why a handful of people are now speaking up in defense.

That's fair. But I did listen to what was actually said and what was actually said was, and I still stand by this, ridiculous.

Jeff

#3108 2 years ago

We have yet to hear one person say they were a super buyer (sb) on this thread. Or maybe one person, but shouldn’t there be more? If one were excited about pinball, Haggis or Fathom wouldn’t this be a thread you’d visit? Not everyone is on Pinside but it “feels like” there should easily be a dozen sb’s checking in regularly. Anyone play with madness?

How many super buyers are here? How many sb’s received a request for final payment? How many sb’s sent in balance of money? When are you getting your game? These customers are the tip of the spear and will potentially know the most about what is going on right now. When games are ready to ship, these customers will answer the calls.

#3109 2 years ago

Knapp_Arcade , has anyone ever told you your voice sounds like that of a younger (and less bored) Jamie Hyneman?
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3110 2 years ago

To add to the discussion of the homebrew games: At the Louisville Arcade Expo, I spoke with Craig Monyhan at length about his 2 projects. He designed the black and white Steamboat Willie and also the custom anime homebrew based around his family. He custom made the software as well. Very innovative and interesting designs.

0B450B57-7897-42DF-9F8D-525F816D4869 (resized).jpeg0B450B57-7897-42DF-9F8D-525F816D4869 (resized).jpeg

#3111 2 years ago

Here’s a link to his thread on the Mickey Mouse Steamboat Willie homebrew

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steamboat-willie-homebrew

#3112 2 years ago

Good episode and it stayed on topic, so well done.

Tell you what, that guy who kept saying “Annie Ma” during his report……fucking stop. Took me a while to even understand what you were saying.

Willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an inside joke or bet…ala “meow” from Super Troopers.

#3113 2 years ago

What do we want -> Anime

What do we get > Annie Ma

Jason did a great job on the podcast. My favorite part was when Dennis kept trying to raise the stakes and Jason kept reminding him he’s starting from level 0.

#3114 2 years ago

Yeah

Quoted from PoMC:

Good episode and it stayed on topic, so well done.
    Tell you what, that guy who kept saying “Annie Ma” during his report……fucking stop. Took me a while to even understand what you were saying.
    Willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an inside joke or bet…ala “meow” from Super Troopers.

Yes, I have to admit that was me - not my finest podcasting hour. I was trying to pronounce it the Japanese way and ended up pronouncing it in a way I apparently made up. I should have just stuck with Ann-ee-may. Lesson learned

#3115 2 years ago
    Quoted from n1teowl:

Yeah

Yes, I have to admit that was me - not my finest podcasting hour. I was trying to pronounce it the Japanese way and ended up pronouncing it in a way I apparently made up. I should have just stuck with Ann-ee-may. Lesson learned

As someone who works in voiceover, don't let the haters get you down, friend. You sound great on mic, there are a lot of words and a lot of ways to say them, and sometimes, you simply end up committing to the wrong one. Just how it goes sometimes—lesson learned for next time. Keep up the great work!

#3116 2 years ago

Stick with "cartoon" or "Japanese cartoon". They're all cartoons, whether it's Woody Woodpecker, or a wood pecker from a tentacled monster attacking a Japanese girl.

#3117 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Knapp_Arcade , has anyone ever told you your voice sounds like that of a younger (and less bored) Jamie Hyneman?
    [quoted image]

I'll take it, could be worse LOL

#3118 2 years ago
    Quoted from n1teowl:

Yeah

Quoted from reconsider59:

As someone who works in voiceover, don't let the haters get you down, friend. You sound great on mic, there are a lot of words and a lot of ways to say them, and sometimes, you simply end up committing to the wrong one. Just how it goes sometimes—lesson learned for next time. Keep up the great work!

This just reminds me of Oprah's story about mispronouncing Canada.

#3119 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I actually own the game, versus walking up to it on location playing it twice and then using my platform to shit all over the game. But hey, if you want to take the opinion of someone who sounded like they had no idea what they were talking about over people who actually own the game then knock yourself out.
    To be clear, my issue is never going to be with people giving reviews I don't agree with and that's not my issue here either. Of course people are free to offer their own opinion but those with a platform can abuse that trust which is exactly what happened here. It wasn't even a review, it was a "shit all over the game because I'm not smart enough to understand how to play it" commentary which is at best lazy, at worst an agenda. That was my issue. Spooky has put together something unique, special, and awesome here and to see it dismissed so quickly and with so much ignorance rubbed me the wrong way.
    Lastly, my review (if you've read it) or rating of Halloween is me being completely honest from how I see it, now to your point of course that honesty is subjective for sure. Not everyone has to like the same games, no one is asking for that.
    Jeff

I was quiet long enough...

I'd be upset if the collective pinball community crapped all over my $10,000 purchase too.

Joel has been pretty diplomatic and his comments were balanced. He's one of the nicest people in pinball, he's a stand up dude and as objective as they come.

There are many other people who view Halloween and Ultraman far worse than Joel and have chosen not use their platform to say anything negative. I think the Halloween owners should be happy about that.

I'd suggest playing something before dropping a deposit next time.

#3120 2 years ago

Final Round Pinball Podcast Episode 52: Weird

Hosts: Jeff Teolis & Martin Robbins
    Special Guest: Colin MacCalpine j

- Weird Al pinball for Multimorphic
    - What matters more...songs or call-outs/sounds?
    - Theme integration
    - Best module Plus:
    - Smart business decisions
    - Texas Pinball Festival
    - Martin plays Godzilla for the first time
    - RIP Barry Oursler
    - Sponsor of the week
    - Who Will Marty Save?
    - Upcoming pinball shows

direct feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FinalThePinballNetwork
    email: [email protected]
    Instagram: @finalroundpinballpodcast
    Twitter: @finalroundpin

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-kikvf-11d49c6

final round thumbnail ep 52 (resized).jpegfinal round thumbnail ep 52 (resized).jpeg
    #3121 2 years ago

"The reality is every individual is going enjoy or dislike a game based on their experience, so regardless of what you hear from here, try it for yourself, flip it and find out, you might find out you really really like it. You never know" - Travis (1:20:30)

Trying to think of a more direct statement on how to let listeners know they shouldn't let these 3 affect your opinion...

#3122 2 years ago

Craig Bobbie, I am surprised you haven’t made up a bunch of voices/characters and struck out on the comedy circuit. Your writing is pretty darn humorous, imo. You could create Redneck Man, Artsy Man, GenZ’r etc and then play a reporter and ask your characters questions. And to answer Maximus’s question to the crowd in Gladiator - Yes, we are entertained! Thanks for all the laughs each week. URD Most Underestimated Person in Pinball, Who Might Succeed One Day.

#3123 2 years ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 16: The TPF Guide To SUCCESS

Hosts: Joel Engelberth, Tom Graf, & Travis Murie

In this episode we discuss some of the current news and what looks to be coming to Texas Pinball Festival. We end the show with our longest Triple Combo ever as we break down the entire TPF Tournament bank. Get your notepads ready because Tom and Travis are spilling all their juicy strats.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tripledrain
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tripledrainpodcast/
    Email: [email protected]
    Merch: https://silverballswag.com/.../triple-drain-pinball-podcast

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-7h35t-11d99eb

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 7.38.05 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-03-21 at 7.38.05 AM (resized).png
    #3124 2 years ago

**The surgeon general cautions you not to make a drinking game where you take a drink every time Travis says “meta.”

Not at all a tournament guy but did enjoy the bite size strategy guides for each game. Pretty cool idea, gang!

#3125 2 years ago

Travis, please make this shirt a reality...

trip shirt (resized).JPGtrip shirt (resized).JPG
    #3126 2 years ago

Silverball Chronicles with David and Ron

Episode 22: Mr. Nordman, Let’s Talk About Your Ramps

Topic Starts at 8:38

Episode Summary
    Ramps are mesmerizing, hypnotic and create a excitement deep inside when you shoot them. You can almost feel the ball rolling around a bend in a ramp. Too many people Pinball IS Ramps. In fact, when one of my non-pinball friends saw my Tron the first time he said was ‘Woah, I wanna shoot that ramp’. The only goal he had the first time he played pinball in 25 years was ‘shot that ramp!’
    The undisputed king of the ramps is without a doubt, Dennis Nordman. This month Dennis Nordman, Let Talk About Your Ramps...

Visit Our Silverball Swag Store
    https://silverballswag.com/collections/silverball-chronicles

Sources can be found on thepinballnetwork.net

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-mhpjq-11db799

585B369B-0E56-44C0-951A-4D7BC1704E45 (resized).jpeg585B369B-0E56-44C0-951A-4D7BC1704E45 (resized).jpeg
    #3127 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Too many people Pinball IS Ramps.

How many people is too many?

#3130 2 years ago

@davidlldennis, just as not all rectangles are squares, not all flipperless games are bingos.

If you would like an education on bingos, I'm always happy to discuss, or I have a long running podcast.

Flipperless games were a hotbed of innovation for almost two decades.

Bingo pinballs are a particular style of flipperless game that awards replays rather than a mixture of score and replays. They were made in the US from 1951-1981. They are still made in other countries.

Here's an example. Two games from the same manufacturer - United Manhattan.

The 1948 version is flipperless amusement pinball.

Overall_view (resized).jpgOverall_view (resized).jpg

The 1955 version is a bingo pinball.

image-5 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpg

Keep up the great work and I would encourage review of older games. There is a lot of cool stuff to enjoy.

#3131 2 years ago

hey nick, are you gonna be at TPF to give bingo lessons? if so where is the signup sheet, i wanna be at the top.

#3132 2 years ago
    Quoted from Insanity_Falls:

hey nick, are you gonna be at TPF to give bingo lessons?

Unfortunately no, but I'm happy to do so at any show I attend in future! My next planned is York in October.

#3133 2 years ago
    Quoted from n1teowl:

Yeah

In all sincerity I loved it. At first I was like shit I've been saying Anime wrong this whole time (I'm fine with it and watch a little but that's it). Then when Dennis said something later I was laughing pretty good. I've done worse things (today) so no worries.

#3134 2 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Unfortunately no, but I'm happy to do so at any show I attend in future! My next planned is York in October.

dang, well until then may all your magic screens do whatever the heck it is magic screens are supposed to do, i don’t actually know because i’ve been waiting for someone to show me because bingos confuse and intimidate me.

#3135 2 years ago

Don’t worry Tom. No matter how often people try and rib you for being a Rush apologist, you’ll never be as delusional as Zach is about Halloween.

also joel how come you can get the crazies to come out with your objective review but i can say shit like this and nobody makes a peep

personally i think you should be taking it as a compliment

#3136 2 years ago

ps - free thought exercise for the pinball community in general:

who do you think has the higher chance of being biased about how bad halloween is, the people who stand to lose money if the value tanks or the dude whose catchphrase is literally pausing to think things through before saying “…that’s fair.”

#3137 2 years ago

ps - free thought exercise for the pinball community in general:
    who do you think has the higher chance of being biased about how bad halloween is, the people who stand to lose money if the value tanks or the dude whose catchphrase is literally pausing to think things through before saying “…that’s fair.”

Ha. I really don't know how to respond to this... Let me think about it

#3138 2 years ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

Ha. I really don't know how to respond to this... Let me think about it

why should i let you think about it? your freshest takes are the hottest ones, spit that fire at me baby, tell me how shitty godzilla is and become the final boss of the pinball internet

#3139 2 years ago

why should i let you think about it? your freshest takes are the hottest ones, spit that fire at me baby, tell me how shitty godzilla is and become the final boss of the pinball internet

I have a godzilla and halloween on order. I just love the the theme so much I'm giving it a shot. I had zero issues with the comments on TPN. I wish they were better but that's not their fault lol

#3140 2 years ago

wow joel the post above me claims that you hate godzilla and that you wouldn’t even use the cabinet as a toilet, is this true?

#3141 2 years ago

wow joel the post above me claims that you hate godzilla and that you wouldn’t even use the cabinet as a toilet, is this true?

What what! Haha. I know you're messing but don't put that hate on me lol. Joel does a great job. I'm nervous for my Halloween but still sticking with it. Time will tell if it stays. Godzilla is another nice theme for me and the fact it's just received so much praise makes me have zero worries. They both arrive around june/July currently.

#3142 2 years ago
    Quoted from blastbeat:

What what! Haha. I know you're messing but don't put that hate on me lol. Joel does a great job. I'm nervous for my Halloween but still sticking with it. Time will tell if it stays. Godzilla is another nice theme for me and the fact it's just received so much praise makes me have zero worries. They both arrive around june/July currently.

in my defense, you posted too fast because that was supposed to be in reference to my own post lol

#3143 2 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

davidlldennis, just as not all rectangles are squares, not all flipperless games are bingos.
    If you would like an education on bingos, I'm always happy to discuss, or I have a long running podcast.
    Flipperless games were a hotbed of innovation for almost two decades.
    Bingo pinballs are a particular style of flipperless game that awards replays rather than a mixture of score and replays. They were made in the US from 1951-1981. They are still made in other countries.
    Here's an example. Two games from the same manufacturer - United Manhattan.
    The 1948 version is flipperless amusement pinball.
    [quoted image]
    The 1955 version is a bingo pinball.
    [quoted image]
    Keep up the great work and I would encourage review of older games. There is a lot of cool stuff to enjoy.

Hi Nick. I tease! There will be a bingo, prewar/post war EM legends episode. Super important stuff. I'm a huge Krynski fan and that era deserves the 'ol Chronicles treatment.

When I was editing the episode I noticed my Bingo/flipperless comment and considered editing it out because I didn't get my point across correctly, but I ended up keeping it in. Judging by the emails and messages, it added entertainment/shock value

I also enjoy all your do! Keep up and great work!

#3144 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

I'm a huge Krynski fan and that era deserves the 'ol Chronicles treatment.

Krynski was also a bingo designer!

#3145 2 years ago

Final Round Pinball Podcast Episode 53: Chowder League

A quickie before TPF...

Martin and Jeff talk to Chuck Webster of the New England Pinball League as they discuss:
    - new IFPA changes to leagues. Good or bad?
    - operating games and location pinball
    - music pins
    - trophy disregards
    - Fathom 2.0 update and reveal
    - Weird Al stream and TPF play

direct feed to Final Round Pinball Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FinalThePinballNetwork
    email us at [email protected]
    Instagram @finalroundpinballpodcast
    Twitter: @finalroundpin

6BAB2A48-72BB-487E-9260-C76C8745FF3F (resized).jpeg6BAB2A48-72BB-487E-9260-C76C8745FF3F (resized).jpeg
    #3146 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Ep 95: Texas Two-Step

Episode link: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-67kmu-11e3cb3

Host: Dennis Kriesel

- Back from Texas
    - We Hear From a Correspondent
    - Weird Al at TPF
    - Micro Madness and the Tale of Tales
    - Pedretti’s Plans to Expand 2.0 Offerings
    - Cactus Canyon Remake Code Expansion is a Kit
    - American Pinball Updates
    - The 2021 TWIPYs
    - Pinball Market Trends

Eclectic Gamers Podcast: https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/eclectic-gamers-podcast/

facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/

#3147 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Episode 95: Texas Two-Step

- Back From Texas

- We Hear From A Correspondent

- Weird Al At TPF

- Micro Madness & The Tale Of Tales

- The 2021 TWIPYs

- Pinball Market Trends

Eclectic Gamers Podcast: https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/eclectic-gamers-podcast/

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-67kmu-11e3cb3

A49D21E8-AC5B-41D4-B4FC-E0F90538E2DE (resized).jpegA49D21E8-AC5B-41D4-B4FC-E0F90538E2DE (resized).jpeg
    #3148 2 years ago

- Back From Texas
    - Weird Al At TPF
    - The 2021 TWIPYs
    - Pinball Market Trends

Just because everyone else was posting it…

#3149 2 years ago

The solo outtakes were gold! You could package that up into a semi regular clip show of, Dennis mutters to himself. I am sure it would gets 10's of listens. Well, 1's of listens at least.

"Well that all sounds terrible... I'm still not happy with this, let's try it again."

Great show Dennis, thanks for the solo TPF recap.

#3150 2 years ago

Hey Man, have you listened?

- Back From Texas
    - Weird Al At TPF
    - The 2021 TWIPYs
    - Pinball Market Trends

There are 4,833 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/63?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.