(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: Pinball Innovators & Makers Podcast Ep 21: Live Or Die - Make Your Ch

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,812 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by LOTR_breath
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    final round 78 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 11.20.10 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 6.22.39 PM (resized).png
    triple_drain_new_logo_sz5v26 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 7.45.45 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,812 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 97.
    #2651 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Spotted around town.
    [quoted image]

Sweeeeeet! Lovin that thanks for sharing

#2652 2 years ago

Zach, can you and the crew touch on the idea of Stern continuing to release a "home use" level pin for a majority of their pins? With the prices we see creeping up it doesn't sound outrageous that Stern (or other companies) start to release a home level pin at a cheaper price. A pin not made for the demands of routing (pros) or collectors/fanatics of a particular theme (prem/le).

#2653 2 years ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 7: The Stern Inside(r) Scoop with Tom Graf

Hosts: Joel Engelberth, Tom Graf, & Travis Murie

This episode we talk about Tom's experience playing Godzilla and using Stern Insider Connected.

We also discuss:

- Stern's New Home Pin
    - Tournament Talk
    - Triple Combo: Deadpool
    - Tom Talks!

Facebook: facebook.com/tripledrain
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tripledrainpodcast/
    Email: [email protected]
    Merch: https://silverballswag.com/.../triple-drain-pinball-podcast

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-jbii5-1102fd9

Triple Drain Alternate Logo (resized).PNGTriple Drain Alternate Logo (resized).PNG
    #2654 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 7: The Stern Inside(r) Scoop with Tom Graf
    Hosts: Joel Engelberth, Tom Graf, & Travis Murie
    This episode we talk about Tom's experience playing Godzilla and using Stern Insider Connected.
    We also discuss:
    - Stern's New Home Pin
    - Tournament Talk
    - Triple Combo: Deadpool
    - Tom Talks!
    Facebook: facebook.com/tripledrain
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tripledrainpodcast/
    Email: [email protected]
    Merch: https://silverballswag.com/.../triple-drain-pinball-podcast
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-jbii5-1102fd9
    [quoted image]

Triple Drain Fans Say “Label Your Intro Show Pic” - we are trying to figure out who’s who so we know where to direct our anger accordingly. I’m guessing left to right is Travis - Joel - Tom ??

#2655 2 years ago

Triple Drain Fans Say “Label Your Intro Show Pic” - we are trying to figure out who’s who so we know where to direct our anger accordingly. I’m guessing left to right is Travis - Joel - Tom ??

In the photo above from L-R it’s Travis, Tom, Joel.

#2656 2 years ago

If it is only to address anger then direct it all towards David Dennis with Silverball Chronicles.

But yeah it is Travis (left), Tom (center), and I’m Joel on the right.

#2657 2 years ago

Help us welcome Brian to TPN with his channel twitch.tv/seirif

Go follow, like, and subscribe to the channel now! He brings a lot to the network and we are thankful for his pinball passion.

Have a great weekend everybody!

seirif promo thumbnail announcement (resized).pngseirif promo thumbnail announcement (resized).png
    #2658 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Episode 79: The Middle Class Man's Pinball Podcast

Host: Zach Meny
    Special Guest Cohost: Drew Boisvert, Host Of The Poor Man's Pinball Podcast

- A Trip Down Memory Lane
    - Godzilla Impressions
    - NEW CODE: Godzilla V.0.79.0
    - Elwin Plays Second Fiddle On The Loserkid Pinball Podcast
    - Stern Pinball Announces A New President
    - Stern Pinball Releases Jurassic Park: The Pin
    - Subscription-Based Media
    - Short N' Curlies
    - Jersey Jack Online Connectivity Additions & New Code
    - Haggis Update
    - INDISC Returns
    - District 82 Reigns Supreme
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Saturday Nights
    - Flip N Out Pinball Chicago Pinball Expo Escalera SHOW DEAL
    - TPN Last Week
    - TPN This Week

Order Official The Pinball Show & Other Brand Merch TODAY At flipnoutpinball.com #buybuybuy

email: [email protected]
    facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-yydxc-11090c8

ThePinballShow_GoatLogo (resized).pngThePinballShow_GoatLogo (resized).png
    #2659 2 years ago

Rollergames is a masterpiece. Boo this man.

#2660 2 years ago
    Quoted from Insanity_Falls:

Rollergames is a masterpiece. Boo this man.

meh, that's what they want you to think

#2661 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

meh, that's what they want you to think
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"196682a78809d26d7859e92d0390154b9bf990c8-1634668471-1800"};
    //]]>

“They” being.... Pepsi and Fanta?

#2662 2 years ago

Plus you literally quoted Black Knight while trash-talking a playfield magnet. Irony, thy name is ZMeny.

Come and get it, Mr. Badass.

#2663 2 years ago

Plus you literally quoted Black Knight while trash-talking a playfield magnet. Irony, thy name is ZMeny.
    Come and get it, Mr. Badass.

Just Say NO to magnet-handicaps in pinball. Just Say YES to magnets being used for the good of pinballkind. This is a movement...

#2664 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Just Say NO to magnet-handicaps in pinball. Just Say YES to magnets being used for the good of pinballkind. This is a movement...

IT’S LITERALLY CALLED MAGNA-SAVE ZACH IF THAT’S NOT A MAGNET THAT EXISTS TO COMPENSATE FOR YOUR FUCKUPS THEN MAYBE INSANE CLOWN POSSE WAS RIGHT AND NOBODY KNOWS SHIT ABOUT MAGNETS

#2665 2 years ago

IT’S LITERALLY CALLED MAGNA-SAVE ZACH IF THAT’S NOT A MAGNET THAT EXISTS TO COMPENSATE FOR YOUR FUCKUPS THEN MAYBE INSANE CLOWN POSSE WAS RIGHT AND NOBODY KNOWS SHIT ABOUT MAGNETS

Substantial difference between skill-based magnetry VS computer-programmed handicaps.

Hell, why stop there, the programmers should have Phantom Flipped the shot too to pull off the ultimate pindicap!

#2666 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Show Episode 79: The Middle Class Man's Pinball Podcast
    Host: Zach Meny
    Special Guest Cohost: Drew Boisvert, Host Of The Poor Man's Pinball Podcast
    - A Trip Down Memory Lane
    - Godzilla Impressions
    - NEW CODE: Godzilla V.0.79.0
    - Elwin Plays Second Fiddle On The Loserkid Pinball Podcast
    - Stern Pinball Announces A New President
    - Stern Pinball Releases Jurassic Park: The Pin
    - Subscription-Based Media
    - Short N' Curlies
    - Jersey Jack Online Connectivity Additions & New Code
    - Haggis Update
    - INDISC Returns
    - District 82 Reigns Supreme
    - Pinball Market Trends
    - Saturday Nights
    - Flip N Out Pinball Chicago Pinball Expo Escalera SHOW DEAL
    - TPN Last Week
    - TPN This Week
    Order Official The Pinball Show & Other Brand Merch TODAY At flipnoutpinball.com #buybuybuy
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-yydxc-11090c8
    [quoted image]

Awesome to have Drew as a guest this week. Really fun. Does this mean that we'll have Zach co-host a Poor Man's episode sometime soon?

As far as the new JP homepin goes, the big improvement I see over the SW Pin is the code. I watched an old VOD of Jack playing the SW Pin, and he literally beat the entire game in 5 minutes on ball 1! There is just no code to that game.

However, with JP Pin, in the span of an hour only one of 3 really good players managed to get to the Nublar wizard mode. And no-one got to the second wizard mode. So that bodes well for better lastability. In fact, I'm worried it might be a bit too hard to progress. I do wish that completing the Dino modes involved more than just hitting the same shot over and over, but I understand the limitations they face, and scope they're going for.

Honestly, I wish Stern would release a slightly more expensive version with coin mechs. I would totally buy one to put on-route if they did.

#2667 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Substantial difference between skill-based magnetry VS computer-programmed handicaps.
    Hell, why stop there, the programmers should have Phantom Flipped the shot too to pull off the ultimate pindicap!

So by your own logic you also hate outlane kickbacks and the saucer thingy on World Cup Soccer.

Also, ball saves.

Besides, if that theme song doesn’t get your blood pumping every single time then you’re already dead inside before you even plunge ball 1, so the magnet is largely irrelevant.

#2668 2 years ago

[quoted image]
    Not featured is the broken Rollergames immediately to my right which made me sad until I remembered how much I love the shirt I was wearing.
    Don’t tell Zach though, if he asks then I think it’s crap and I only bought it so I could inevitably ruin it with pit stains.

Just remembered I took a pic of the one I mentioned in this post. I turned it on when they weren’t looking and started a game just to listen to the music, hahaha.
    CEA9A14F-AEF5-496E-BCFD-0FBB4D7CA51A (resized).jpegCEA9A14F-AEF5-496E-BCFD-0FBB4D7CA51A (resized).jpeg

#2669 2 years ago

So by your own logic you also hate outlane kickbacks and the saucer thingy on World Cup Soccer.
    Also, ball saves.
    Besides, if that theme song doesn’t get your blood pumping every single time then you’re already dead inside before you even plunge ball 1, so the magnet is largely irrelevant.

Nah, apples and oranges still. You use a flipper to hit the ball based on skill. An auto kickback doesnt require skill. The player-controlled saucer on WCS is weak as well, but it's more gimmick-based without being the central feature/mech. Just my take.

Take away the saucer-assist and WCS is still fantastic. Take away the magnet on RG and youve got, well, a shit theme, shit art, nothing special on rules, but yes, the music is great, the layout is nice (if youve never played High Speed ), the little coded flick of the ball from the dugout is phenomenal, and the start of Multiball is a great Pinball Moment.

It's not a bad game, but it gets too much love

#2670 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Nah, apples and oranges still. You use a flipper to hit the ball based on skill. An auto kickback doesnt require skill. The player-controlled saucer on WCS is weak as well, but it's more gimmick-based without being the central feature/mech. Just my take.
    Take away the saucer-assist and WCS is still fantastic. Take away the magnet on RG and youve got, well, a shit theme, shit art, nothing special on rules, but yes, the music is great, the layout is nice (if youve never played High Speed ), the little coded flick of the ball from the dugout is phenomenal, and the start of Multiball is a great Pinball Moment.
    It's not a bad game, but it gets too much love

lol I’m just being a little shit about the magnet, I actually agree with you about it except for one thing: it’s a FANTASTIC way to show a new player that shot and how it works. It tutorializes a gameplay feature that might not be immediately clear to a new player. And, lest we all forget, Rollergames was supposed to be a pretty massive license in a time when licensed pins were scarce so they were probably expecting a lot of earnings to be from the casual crowd. Combine that with the fact that upper flippers were still pretty uncommon at the time so it probably wasn’t unreasonable to expect a casual player to not even notice that shot was up there, and the magnet actually starts to make a heck of a lot of sense for a game made in 1990.

Meanwhile, the hardcore crowd could just unplug it and move on.

Product of its time, that game. But that’s what makes it so damn special.

#2671 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Interviews Episode 5: Mike Vinikour

Host: Matt Morrison
    Special Guest: Mike Vinikour, Stern Pinball

TPSI host Matt Morrison chats with Stern Pinball's Mike Vinikour and they discuss MXV's work in the pinball industry. Mr. Vinikour also deep-dives with Matt Morrison his increased role with the Stranger Things pinball machine.

The Pinball Show would like to express great appreciation and thanks to Mike Vinikour for joining us, as well as a special thanks to Stern Pinball. Mike is a great ambassador for the industry and is always everyone's pin-pal at the conventions.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-n9mzh-110ca30

#2672 2 years ago

Can't watch the NFL games due to your limited streaming package/no cable TV service? All the games are here, including the Red Zone channel.

https://vipleague.me/american-football-schedule-streaming-links

#2673 2 years ago

God Matt Morrison is such a good interviewer and I get the sense that he doesn’t even realize just how good he is sometimes.

I could listen to him interview the toilet from Junkyard and probably still hang on every word.

#2674 2 years ago

No TPS today?

Quoted from PoMC:

Can't watch the NFL games due to your limited streaming package/no cable TV service? All the games are here, including the Red Zone channel.
    https://vipleague.me/american-football-schedule-streaming-links

looks like somebody needs a robin-assisted password reset

#2675 2 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

No TPS today?

looks like somebody needs a robin-assisted password reset

Yeah NEW TPS Monday as always

God Matt Morrison is such a good interviewer and I get the sense that he doesn’t even realize just how good he is sometimes.
    I could listen to him interview the toilet from Junkyard and probably still hang on every word.

He's one of my favorite interviewers ever because he is very knowledgable and just a truly great guy.

#2676 2 years ago

Starting The Week Off Great With Another NEW TPN Streaming Affiliate Channel

Welcome to the team Brian! Follow, like, and subscribe to Flipstream today and see Bryan flex his streaming skills and expertise

twitch.tv/flipstream

Flipstream TPN Welcome (resized).pngFlipstream TPN Welcome (resized).png
    #2677 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

He's one of my favorite interviewers ever because he is very knowledgable and just a truly great guy.

If I had to attempt to describe it, I would say that instead of working down his list of questions, he actively listens to what his interview subject is saying and follows up with whatever is clearly the next most logical question.

Just an absolute pleasure to listen to, with the gentlemanly southern drawl on top.

#2678 2 years ago

PS - Explain to me in excruciating detail how the Godzilla magnet dribbling the ball down to the upper flipper for an easy layup is a work of genius without sounding like a complete hypocrite about Rollergames, go.

#2679 2 years ago

PS - Explain to me in excruciating detail how the Godzilla magnet dribbling the ball down to the upper flipper for an easy layup is a work of genius without sounding like a complete hypocrite about Rollergames, go.

Well, again, while I see where you’re coming from, it’s still very different. One requires zero skill whereas the other requires timing, thus…skill

#2680 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Well, again, while I see where you’re coming from, it’s still very different. One requires zero skill whereas the other requires timing, thus…skill

I mean paying close enough attention to the game to see that a magnet grabbed your ball is a skill too, so is it just a matter of skill dick size?

#2681 2 years ago

I actually can’t remember, is the flipper dead on RG while the magnet gets set up? If you can fuck up the ball coming to rest on the magnet then avoiding doing so also requires game knowledge and impulse control.

Note to self: double check the exact rules mechanics of the upper Rollergames flipper instead of whatever other important shit I had planned to do for the next 15 minutes.

#2682 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Similar timing in rollergames. You wait to flip until the ball comes to a complete stop or else risk missing the shot.

Timing the release of the Zilla magnet at the right time so as you don’t miss the subsequent shot there either.

#2683 2 years ago

ayyyy chuckwurt dropping the answers and helping me get my kids to soccer on time instead of poring over rule sheets lol

#2684 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Similar timing in rollergames. You wait to flip until the ball comes to a complete stop or else risk missing the shot.
    Timing the release of the Zilla magnet at the right time so as you don’t miss the subsequent shot there either.

Does it not stop the ball completely, then even call out “Don’t Flip”, then call out “Flip”?

In other words, are there tons of skill if every flipper had multiple magnets in front of it to stop the ball and tell you when to flip?

#2685 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Does it not stop the ball completely, then even call out “Don’t Flip”, then call out “Flip”?

Nope. It makes that call out before the ball comes to a complete stop. Lots of times if you’re flip when they say it’s too early.

#2686 2 years ago

I know this is just friendly banter (and I've never even played a Rollergames so I probably shouldn't even offer an opinion) but the magnet integration with Godzilla seems a lot more dynamic than magnets I've seen in games to date.

It's pretty sweet when you make a shot to the building and it comes back around that mini loop, passes the magnet without fully sticking, and flicks up the left outer orbit briefly before it drops back down towards the upper flipper. That "feels" totally different than the "normal" scenario where the magnet is grabbed and held for a few seconds and dropped.

I guess by virtue of the magnet being off of the ball path (under a plastic, between shots) it allows the magnet to influence the ball more often without fully grabbing it.. and the "swinging" motion is a lot more interesting than the ball just freezing directly over a magnet that might be out in the open somewhere.

#2687 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

I know this is just friendly banter (and I've never even played a Rollergames so I probably shouldn't even offer an opinion) but the magnet integration with Godzilla seems a lot more dynamic than magnets I've seen in games to date.
    It's pretty sweet when you make a shot to the building and it comes back around that mini loop, passes the magnet without fully sticking, and flicks up the left outer orbit briefly before it drops back down towards the upper flipper. That "feels" totally different than the "normal" scenario where the magnet is grabbed and held for a few seconds and dropped.
    I guess by virtue of the magnet being off of the ball path (under a plastic, between shots) it allows the magnet to influence the ball more often without fully grabbing it.. and the "swinging" motion is a lot more interesting than the ball just freezing directly over a magnet that might be out in the open somewhere.

I mean yeah the magnet has five(?) different things it can do with the ball, it’s just that one of those things is setting up a “free” shot to the upper flipper. That’s the particular behavior I’m referencing.

#2688 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Correspondents - October 25, 2021

Pinball Manufacturer Updates From The Pinball Show Correspondents Craig Bobbie (Stern Pinball), Ken Rudberg (Jersey Jack Pinball), Dr. John Cosson (Spooky Pinball & Haggis Pinball), & Brian Cosner (American Pinball)

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-zt6zf-1113fca

ThePinballShow_VectorLogo (resized).pngThePinballShow_VectorLogo (resized).png
    #2689 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah NEW TPS (Correspondents) Monday as always

There ya go, I fixed it for ya

Now is the delay for the show proper above ground pool related, or code update related?

#2690 2 years ago

Call the fire department, this one’s out of control!

#2691 2 years ago

Boo hiss. Every Monday without aural Meny Merriment decreases the chances I'll ever go bi, bi, bi!

#2692 2 years ago

No full show....?

#2693 2 years ago

Hey Zach
    Went to Maccas the other day and they said to move forward when possible .
    It must be a worldwide thing .
    Some dumb cunt must have gone forward when the operator said go forward , and had an accident

#2694 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

No full show....?

No sadly I had something industry-related pop up this weekend that I had to prioritize. The good news is that everyone will be happy with the result

#2695 2 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Hey Zach
    Went to Maccas the other day and they said to move forward when possible .
    It must be a worldwide thing .
    Some dumb cunt must have gone forward when the operator said go forward , and had an accident

Not sure on following. Remember, I’m a bit sloooooow haha

#2696 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Not sure on following. Remember, I’m a bit sloooooow haha

While i laughed at this-I think he is talking about the drive thru people telling you to pull the van up-only when there isn’t a friggin stationary vehicle in your way…

#2697 2 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

While i laughed at this-I think he is talking about the drive thru people telling you to pull the van up-only when there isn’t a friggin stationary vehicle in your way…

Yep , Macca's is McDonald's over here .

IMG_20211027_074228 (resized).jpgIMG_20211027_074228 (resized).jpg
    #2698 2 years ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 8: The Three Stooges Meet The Wizard

Episode 8 with Joel, Travis, Tom and Extra Ball Karl DeAngelo!

We discuss:

- Legends of Valhalla release
    - More Halloween thoughts
    - Surviving Super Series
    - Expo Expectations
    - TOM TALKS
    - And a bunch of other topics along the way

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-immi9-1115935

Triple Drain Alternate Logo (resized).PNGTriple Drain Alternate Logo (resized).PNG
    #2699 2 years ago
    F1859A01-2F36-4DB1-B163-D9DE9D977853 (resized).pngF1859A01-2F36-4DB1-B163-D9DE9D977853 (resized).png
    There are 4,812 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/54?hl=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.