(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Ep 50: TPF, MGC, & Travis Is Old Now?

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,825 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 hours ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg
    final round ep 79 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1802 (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    final round 78 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 11.20.10 AM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,825 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 97.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:It's been a 101 course on how to fail at marketing

The FIRST thing you do is buy a .COM website, way before you go public.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

The FIRST thing you do is buy a .COM website, way before you go public.

Haha I know. The guy who they don’t want anything to do with comes in and takes it further rubbing the salt in. Oh and btw the guy does marketing for a living. What an FU. Hilarious.

#53 4 years ago

Lordy, this thread is already competing with the last one for being a mess.

Regardless of the rollout, and initial critiques and such, which are never a bad thing, I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out. No reason to be anything other than optimistic! Even with the last Star Wars flick, I went in HOPING it would be good!

Keep on keepin' on, and such shit!

#54 4 years ago

Glad to see things are coming together. In spite of a rocky start, I think this will be a good thing! It's certainly an interesting experiment to say the least.

As far as this thread goes, I love how people that don't listen to podcasts feel the need to let everyone know that they won't be listening to TPN. If you don't listen to podcasts or watch pinball media, then clearly TPN isn't for you. Why not move along and comment on something that is in your wheelhouse? Instead of clogging up a perfectly good thread with negativity. While we're on the subject, for a lot of us podcasts have replaced traditional radio. I love pinball, so why not listen to some people talk about pinball while we're working or driving? I take it o-din and his ilk (no offense) prefer music or talk-radio, or perhaps cold, cold silence.

Also, a lot of people really can't get over the fact that Zach and Nicole own a distro now. Good for him for pursuing his dreams! How awesome is it that he can be so connected to something that he loves. Sounds like a lot of people are jealous. Now that you mention it, I do wonder if K-man is a little jealous himself. I mean Zach has made himself into a major presence in pinball, and he makes a living off of it. And he's done it in far less time, with far less trolling. These days the Meny probably gets as much attention (and sometimes hate) as K-man himself.

Lastly, where's Greg Bone on the list? Did I miss his name? I didn't see him listed under any shows.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Haha I know. The guy who they don’t want anything to do with comes in and takes it further rubbing the salt in. Oh and btw the guy does marketing for a living. What an FU. Hilarious.

Doesn’t seem like anybody owns this one. Maybe they should register it and make a trade!

http://kanedapinballpodcast.com/

#56 4 years ago

Couple quick things. My name is Ken Cromwell and I'm one of the founders of The Pinball Network. For those of you that are familiar with the podcast scene I am one of the hosts of Special When Lit Pinball Podcast.

Nobody is "working under Zach" or his distributorship. The goal of TPN is to have some fun working with different content providers in a team atmosphere to do something we all enjoy. Helping shows/personalities with additional exposure for their content is a good thing in my opinion. We aren't monetizing off of podcasts and all twitch streamers broadcast under their own stream keys so they keep 100 percent of their earnings (donations, subs, bits, etc). It's certainly not a money grab and is more a "labor of love" for pinball and the people that would like another form to get their content out there. Some of us will also offer new content working with new hosts as it's something we've enjoyed doing for some time now.

Regarding making rookie mistakes of running this as a business? Those comments are actually understandable because we were never formed as a business to make money from the community or it's content providers. If we were profit driven this would have been approached completely differently. It's really as simple as that.

If anyone would like to be a part of this content hub please email us at [email protected]. We are looking forward to new ideas and fresh faces!

Finally, if pinball content isn't your thing (I get it) it's just as easy to not pay attention as we won't be asking you to "BUY, BUY, BUY!" Looking forward to having some fun.

#57 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out! I’m sure we’ll get some great things from this collaboration.

As for Dr. Phil, you STAY out of this!!!

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Couple quick things. My name is Ken Cromwell and I'm one of the founders of The Pinball Network. For those of you that are familiar with the podcast scene I am one of the hosts of Special When Lit Pinball Podcast.
    Nobody is "working under Zach" or his distributorship. The goal of TPN is to have some fun working with different content providers in a team atmosphere to do something we all enjoy. Helping shows/personalities with additional exposure for their content is a good thing in my opinion. We aren't monetizing off of podcasts and all twitch streamers broadcast under their own stream keys so they keep 100 percent of their earnings (donations, subs, bits, etc). It's certainly not a money grab and is more a "labor of love" for pinball and the people that would like another form to get their content out there. Some of us will also offer new content working with new hosts as it's something we've enjoyed doing for some time now.
    Regarding making rookie mistakes of running this as a business? Those comments are actually understandable because we were never formed as a business to make money from the community or it's content providers. If we were profit driven this would have been approached completely differently. It's really as simple as that.
    If anyone would like to be a part of this content hub please email us at [email protected]. We are looking forward to new ideas and fresh faces!
    Finally, if pinball content isn't your thing (I get it) it's just as easy to not pay attention as we won't be asking you to "BUY, BUY, BUY!" Looking forward to having some fun.

Glad to hear and even better - we won’t be saturated with flippin out reminders to buy NIB pinball machines. Win win.

#59 4 years ago

Listen, I’m just excited we’re all gonna get together over some fine wine and soft jazz flute and talk about ping-pong.

73D52A8B-029F-47A9-91B5-9A5E87333ED9 (resized).jpeg73D52A8B-029F-47A9-91B5-9A5E87333ED9 (resized).jpeg
    #60 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Well said Ken! Everyone who provides pinball content for the pinball community should be commended, not crucified. I guess I’m not shocked at some of the comments from fellow Pinsiders, but it’s a shame. Keep up the hard work and everything you do for the hobby.

#61 4 years ago

I'm looking forward to the TPN starting up. I drive for 1 hour most days too and from work. Some days I listen to streamed music, others I listen to podcasts. I have my favorites, and ones I ignore. The main thing with podcasting is the personalities involved. As with friends, not everyone "floats my boat" the same way as it does with others, so it's great that there is so much variety to choose from.

I have noticed there has been a lot of repetition in the podcasts between different providers - understandable because news is not always forthcoming from manufacturers. Some podcasters go the rout of making up "games" or novelty segments to fill the space, some just make up their own news - again, these folk do this their own way and sometimes it's funny, sometimes not. They are not paid, and I appreciate their effort to entertain me on my boring drives talking about a hobby I enjoy.

Perhaps the TPN is a way of sharing content rather than competing and repeating? From what I've read, each provider gets to do what they want, and there is no payment, no overarching sponsorship, no restrictions, just a method of communication within the group to try and "tidy up" the podcast/streaming schedules. Some may have commercial interests like Zach, some may have agreements with manufacturers, but most seem to be independent and don't have any need to "schill" or play favorites - each to their own. I take every opinion on a game with a grain for salt anyway. Personal taste dictates what is a good game, not what someone else thinks. I've owned over 50 games from nearly every manufacturer and still don't really have a favorite.

Pinsiders are entitled to voice their mistrust and biases as we all are, but give the TPN a chance or ignore it, the world will not be affected by any of this, except in your own microcosm. No need to be rude to anyone making an effort, and that effort turns out to be rubbish, who's really affected by it expect the person the "gave it a go"? Now, back to waiting for my uploads when they start so I can decide for myself.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Good to know Ken, and that is what I was getting at. The diversity and independence of the podcasters are what I am sure make some podcasters more popular over others. I would hate to see that lost, or have people thinking it was.

#63 4 years ago

Anyone going to have a 'Market Trends' segment?

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Way ahead of ya, Johnnie...

Seriously though, I probably won’t be listening, unless there’s droning technical information presented in a borish factual litany of consistent monotone. Helps me sleep better while behind the wheel.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

While we're on the subject, for a lot of us podcasts have replaced traditional radio.

But not all of us. Listening to UC-SMU on the big one right now...

radio (resized).jpgradio (resized).jpg
    #66 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I mean....

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

NIB machines are trending upward. Used games are trending downward.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

NIB machines are trending upward. Used games are trending downward.

Uhhh, have you seen the second hand market on JJP Pirates?

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Uhhh, have you seen the second hand market on JJP Pirates?

FFS it was a joke because he sells NIB machines. Just busting his balls since everyone else decided to take a shit on TPN.

#70 4 years ago

remember when pinball wasn't a popularity contest?

#71 4 years ago

I commend all of the podcasters and content providers in their effort to expand this hobby. I listen to many pinball related podcasts, follow youtube channels, and watch Twitch streams and I'm always amazed at the commitment that is given by all.

Creating TPN is an evolutionary step that is needed if we wish to see this hobby grow.... and it must grow if we expect manufacturers to continue to build new machines. I believe the fundamental goal of TPN is to expand the audience of pinball enthusiasts by making it easy for them to consume the latest pinball info. If this experiment goes well, then everyone wins (including Jack Danger and Kaneda) as that means there are more overall people interested in the hobby and more people who will listen to both TPN and the other providers.

And... try not to stress out about the start-up hiccups. Grass-root efforts as well as Major Mfg. efforts rarely start out with out issues. Keep plugging away and things will hit their stride soon.

Good luck to all of you!

#72 4 years ago

I'm excited about the network. I listened to each podcaster individually and really enjoyed their shows. I can't wait for the collaborative effort!

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

remember when pinball wasn't a popularity contest?

How is this a popularity contest when Zach has offered an open invitation for people to submit their interest multiple times?

#74 4 years ago

Best wishes Zach and TPN staffers...! Enjoy you all, together you will all be great! Bazzy34

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bazzy34:

Best wishes Zach and TPN staffers...!

Agreed. I hope it adds a lot to the pinball we enjoy.

LTG : )

#76 4 years ago

Thought I would weigh in as well. I'm Jason. I'm one part of the team that has taken this on. As Ken said, we will not be under an umbrella of anyone. This is an equal partnership and each of us are not only free to speak our minds, we are being encouraged to do so by everyone involved. That goes for content providers as well.

This is simply a way to consolidate, not only our efforts, but to shine a light on providers who we feel are talented and perhaps just haven't had the chance to have their ideas or talents in front of enough people. We are also very fortunate that we have some existing well established content creators who have agreed to team up just because its pinball, and we all love it.

There will be detractors. A lot of the folks on here who have been outspoken about not listening, hating this sort of thing etc. I respect a ton, and I will continue to do so. The bottom line is we are doing this to encourage the hobby and celebrate it. Our motivations are not quasi-fame, monetary, revenge or any such nonsense. You have the right to listen, ignore it, or even question our sanity, but we have our hearts in the right place. That's a promise. We have made, and will continue to make mistakes. That is part of taking risks and trying to get better.

I have printed out, next to my desk, a lot of colorful quotes from emails, facebook comments, messages and yes...even pinside. It is great motivation and when you are blessed with thick skin, and a desire to get better, it only helps.

I hope some of you will enjoy it, and for those of you dead set you will hate it, I hope that we are at least afforded the opportunity to change your mind at some point. If not, carry on. We certainly will.

#77 4 years ago

Kaneda didn't buy thepinballnetwork.com... it currently takes you to Macho's Soundcloud.

Hilarious, whoever's responsible. Much respect!

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Kaneda didn't buy thepinballnetwork.com... it currently takes you to Macho's Soundcloud.

It did take you to kaneda's soundcloud for a bit.

It is funny though.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

As Ken said, we will not be under an umbrella of anyone.

Is this accurate?

Won't your podcasts be released on the TPN feed? Isn't that pretty much what an umbrella-type arrangement is?

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Is this accurate?
    Won't your podcasts be released on the TPN feed? Isn't that pretty much what an umbrella-type arrangement is?

Under the umbrella of the network, but not under the umbrella of any one person. They're all in the same feed so that listeners can subscribe to one feed, and get all the content, rather than many multiple feeds, and so it will be easier to coordinate release dates, ect. This kinda thing has been done many times before by different groups of podcasts; usually when they share related or connected content/interests. Its nothing new for podcasting in general, but it is new for pinball podcasting.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

This kinda thing has been done many times before by different groups of podcasts

I'm aware of lots of podcast networks. It's very unusual for different shows in the network to be put out under the same feed. I hope people can understand the benefit of doing things the traditional way without me needing to spell it out.

#82 4 years ago

Best of luck with this endeavor!! Anyone with the courage to try something new deserves success!!

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

still hits kaneda soundcloud when I go there

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I'm aware of lots of podcast networks. It's very unusual for different shows in the network to be put out under the same feed. I hope people can understand the benefit of doing things the traditional way without me needing to spell it out.

I don't think it's as unusual as you seem to think. I have personally listened to several podcast networks that have multiple different shows on the same feed. I'm not saying its the most common way to do it or anything, but its definitely been done before, and been done successfully. For instance, I used to listen to a lot of miniature wargaming podcasts. And there was a network of shows under the What Would Patton Do (WWPD) umbrella. WWPD had 5 or 6 different shows that were all under the same feed. Some of the shows shared hosts with other shows, while some of the shows only had their own unique hosts. Across the shows several different game systems were covered. I personally would listen to the shows that focused on the 15mm scale game "Flames of War," and would skip shows that I knew focused on other games like the 28mm scaled "Bolt Action." I've also seen this type of thing on youtube, where a single channel will have many content providers, with many different types of shows. Often with hosts/creators from completely different parts of the world.

So again, the way Zach and co. are doing this is not a new idea by any stretch. The initial scale of this endeavor might be somewhat unique, but everyone involved has some experience doing this kind of thing. So it will be interesting to see how things pan out!

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I take it o-din and his ilk (no offense) prefer music or talk-radio, or perhaps cold, cold silence.

I am of that Ilk. Go to Kenada just to hear him rant about Pinside and gather scuttlebutt, don't care what his opinions are of pinball machines. Tried to listen to a few of you but it gets nerve racking, something about annoying cacophony of voices trying to go in depth on such a mundane subject. 90 percent of what is said I already know about or don't care to know about.
    Everyone wants to be an authority on the subject, the real ones on Pinside get little fanfare.
    The larger a consortium grows with all encompassing players and features the faster I run away from. Want to hear Independent, Intellectual opinions free from financial influence and subtle lobbying.
    Won't bring anymore "negativity" to your thread, Out.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Are you sure about that? The two big podcast networks I listen to both have shows under the same feed. Both the YMH network and the ATC network do this.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

As Ken said, we will not be under an umbrella of anyone. This is an equal partnership and each of us are not only free to speak our minds, we are being encouraged to do so by everyone involved. That goes for content providers as well.

If this is actually true, than why no Kaneda?

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

still hits kaneda soundcloud when I go there

that's really weird. it takes me to Macho.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Are you sure about that? The two big podcast networks I listen to both have shows under the same feed. Both the YMH network and the ATC network do this.

Here are some of the podcast networks that have shows that I listen to:

https://www.earwolf.com/
    https://gimletmedia.com/
    https://www.radiotopia.fm/
    https://www.theringer.com/pages/podcasts
    https://www.wnycstudios.org/
    https://wondery.com/

In every case, I listen to one or two shows out of a handful or dozens of shows. I would not subscribe to any feed that contained every show for any of the above networks.

I'm actually surprised that there are examples of feeds with multiple shows. Maybe it's more common with very small and niche topics.

YMH appears to consider itself a single podcast and not a network.
    If this is ATC, it appears to be a network with multiple feeds (apparently under the Wondery umbrella, it turns out): https://allthingscomedy.com/podcasts

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

There is no correlation betwixt those 2 things.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Kaneda has been very clear on his podcast that he would never consider joining something like this and that he has no interest. I think he is doing just fine with the exposure that he has generated on his own. I don't see how TPN could help him or how he could help TPN. No reason to force a partnership between two parties that don't have interest in forming one. We appreciate his good luck wishes for the network.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Kaneda has been very clear on his podcast that he would never consider joining something like this and that he has no interest. I think he is doing just fine with the exposure that he has generated on his own. I don't see how TPN could help him or how he could help TPN. No reason to force a partnership between two parties that don't have interest in forming one. We appreciate his good luck wishes for the network.

If he joined a club, he'd lose a foil. That's part of the schtick. This is all for the sake of entertainment, and that aspect is part of his brand, being critical, among other things.

I don't think it would work for either party, to merge. Not in the least.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Speaking of which, I was with my wife shopping over the weekend at Costco....saw something that had a sale price on it....and my mind is instantly triggered, " BUY BUY BUY." I'm like gdamnt….it's etched in my mind now.....

#94 4 years ago

thepinballnetwork.com now redirects to Macho's podcast. This is hilarious. TPN getting trolled so hard rn.

456eb1282b4ad2167e051fa082399c65 (resized).jpg456eb1282b4ad2167e051fa082399c65 (resized).jpg
    #95 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

that's really weird. it takes me to Macho.

Likely DNS caching for him seeing Kaneda, it might take 24 hours to propagate.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

Likely DNS caching for him seeing Kaneda, it might take 24 hours to propagate.

Just because it is pointing to Macho doesn't mean Kaneda didn't buy the domain.... Solid trolling effort going on right now

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

Just because it is pointing to Macho doesn't mean Kaneda didn't buy the domain.... Solid trolling effort going on right now

he says he didn't. and i don't see how lying would benefit him. (not saying you suggested that)

#98 4 years ago

What a weirdass series of events.

First an announcement is made, Kaneda gets irked, then a female caster.

Now an improved formalized announcement is made, and it's getting even more thrashed due to viewed ineptitude and website trolling.

I don't even really listen to any of these folks all that often, in the past anyway, yet I still feel bad for their efforts being goofed on, devalued, judged before even one piece of free, fareeeeeeeee content is pushed out into the ether.

Man, the pinball world is tough.

#99 4 years ago

Always easier to tear down instead of building up. IMO, whoever is doing the domain thing is being a dbag. You'd think the TPN guys ran over someone's dog or something.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Always easier to tear down instead of building up. IMO, whoever is doing the domain thing is being a dbag. You'd think the TPN guys ran over someone's dog or something.

It's actually awesome. I only wish I could take responsibility for it. Well done whoever you are.

There are 4,825 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.