5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Erik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 75 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_2533.jpg
    DSC_2531.jpg
    DSC_2529.jpg
    DSC_2527.jpg
    DSC_2528.jpg
    DSC_2525.jpg
    DSC_2526.jpg
    DSC_2524.jpg
    DSC_2523.jpg
    DSC_2522.jpg
    DSC_2520.jpg
    DSC_2521.jpg
    DSC_2519.jpg
    DSC_2518.jpg
    DSC_2517.jpg
    DSC_2515.jpg

#1 5 years ago

So in case you missed the original thread in the events section here it is.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-north-texas-pinball-limo-tour-2k13

The basic synopsis is that I personally believe that events drive interest, excitement and growth in our hobby. Big or small, near or far, public or private when people gather to play pinball this is a good thing. While many of us are blessed to own several machines, the greatest joy of ownership comes when you shares them with others. Certainly, having people over to play is a common theme of most pinball owners with a collection.

I thought to myself, what could I come up with that was different to create an exciting event for pinball players in my area? So the idea for the Pinball Limo Tour was born.

Its simple really, just rent a limo for 12 hours, divide the cost of the rental by the amount of seats, and then setup "hosts" to allow you and the people on the limo to come by and play for a few hours.

A few potential hosts were not so keen to have strangers over, which I totally understand. Some others didn't have the space to host several people, and some others didn't feel like enough of their machines were up and running. Still, I was able to find 3 willing hosts here in our area. Each of these 3 private home collections is unique in its own way, awesome, and amazing to experience. As a collector, I love to see how other collectors integrate their collection into their lives, how their spouse deals with it, and how deep in they are to the hobby.

14 of us, including myself signed up for the tour. Several pinsiders joined us.

We met at 11am, dropped off our cars, and hopped into a luxury stretch navigator SUV limo. It was... cozy... since a few of us are cheeseburger lovers, but it was just fine. Oh... and I brought along a professional magician as a surprise to the other guests... and the tour stop hosts.

STOP 1:

Stop one was at home in a normal suburban neighborhood. The owner Louis and his wife welcomed us in and we quickly found his amazing game room up stairs. In addition to the pins in his game-room, he had 4 vids in his office directly next to it. His Attack from Mars had just arrived, and were the first people to play it.

-Bally / Midway Baby Pac Man
    -Bally Doctor Who
    -Bally Scared Stiff
    -Bally Star Trek
    -Data East Star Wars
    -Stern Lord of the Rings
    -Stern Shrek
    -Stern Terminator 3
    -Williams Cyclone
    -Williams High Speed II: The Getaway
    -Williams Pinball 2000 Star Wars Episode One
    -Williams Pinbot
    -Williams Space Shuttle
    -Williams Taxi (Marilyn)
    -Williams Terminator 2

*ARCADE COLLECTION*
    -60 in 1 Multicade Arcadeshop.com multi
    -Williams Cloak and Dagger
    -MAME Machine NFL Blitz 2000
    -Gold Spy Hunter
    -Star Wars
    -Tron

DSC_2437.jpgDSC_2438.jpgDSC_2439.jpgDSC_2441.jpgDSC_2442.jpgDSC_2443.jpgDSC_2445.jpgDSC_2446.jpgDSC_2447.jpgDSC_2448.jpgDSC_2449.jpgDSC_2451.jpgDSC_2452.jpg

Back in the limo it was nice and friendly!

DSC_2454.jpgDSC_2457.jpg

On the way to stop 2, we pulled over for lunch. I was able to get a donation from a fellow pinball enthusiast and business owner for lunch! Special thanks to More Fun Comics and Games in Denton!!!

DSC_2460.jpgDSC_2463.jpgDSC_2466.jpgDSC_2468.jpgDSC_2469.jpgDSC_2470.jpg

Walking into stop 2 I was shocked. Once again, we are in a seemingly normal neighborhood... but at this house the games had taken over. Games in the front room. Games in the side room. Games in the hallway. Games in the kitchen. Games in the living room. Pins and games upstairs. This is a home that is totally consumed by the love of games, pins, and arcade culture. How amazing! The hosts here, Rusty and Shelley were so nice and accommodating.

-Simpsons Pinball Party
    -Family Guy
    -Doctor Who
    -Twilight Zone
    -Funhouse
    -Black Knight 2000
    -The Getaway
    -Ripley's Believe It Or Not
    -Spider-Man
    -AC/DC premium
    -Joker Poker
    -Terminator 2
    -Terminator 3
    *ARCADE COLLECTION*
    -Battlezone
    -Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back
    -Tempest
    -Gravita
    -A.P.B.
    -Paperboy
    -Foodfight
    -Tron
    -Rush 2049 Special Edition x2
    -Donkey Kong w/D2
    -Pac-Man w/Mike Doyle's 96-in-1 kit
    -Omega Race
    -Warlords cock-tail
    -Space Duel cocktail
    -Speed Bugg
    -Centipede
    -Atari 720
    -Elevator Action, vertical multi-game
    -Williams multi-game
    -JVL Retro bartop touchscreen

DSC_2471.jpg
    DSC_2472.jpgDSC_2474.jpgDSC_2475.jpgDSC_2476.jpgDSC_2477.jpgDSC_2478.jpgDSC_2479.jpgDSC_2480.jpgDSC_2482.jpgDSC_2484.jpgDSC_2485.jpgDSC_2486.jpgDSC_2487.jpgDSC_2488.jpgDSC_2489.jpgDSC_2490.jpgDSC_2491.jpgDSC_2492.jpgDSC_2493.jpgDSC_2494.jpgDSC_2495.jpgDSC_2497.jpgDSC_2498.jpgDSC_2501.jpgDSC_2502.jpg

I am on the far right, with the 2 hosts, and the magician Diamond Jim Tyler.

DSC_2503.jpgDSC_2504.jpg

Heading up to stop 3, the sun was starting to go down. This place was way out in the country in a tiny town. The game room was a stand alone building that was made for this specific purpose. This collection was the oldest of the 3, with the owner Ken being in this for more than a decade. You knows might know Ken as the Pinball Rebel! This place had nearly all of the A-List games, a mini bowling alley, and a coke machine that only gave out real sugar drinks in glass bottles! Tied together with a juke box blasting the tunes away as the matching music videos played on adjacent monitors, this place was just over the top!!

-Tron LE
    -Pirate of the Caribbean
    -Lord of the Rings
    -The Dark Knight
    -Spider Man
    -Scared Stiff
    -Twilight Zone
    -Creature from the Black Lagoon
    -Monster Bash
    -Theater of Magic
    -White Water
    -Cirqus Voltaire
    -No Good Gofers
    -Medieval Madness
    -Champion Pub
    -Family Guy
    -AC/DC Premium
    -Revenge from Mars

DSC_2506.jpgDSC_2507.jpgDSC_2508.jpgDSC_2509.jpgDSC_2510.jpgDSC_2511.jpgDSC_2512.jpgDSC_2513.jpgDSC_2514.jpgDSC_2515.jpgDSC_2516.jpgDSC_2517.jpgDSC_2518.jpgDSC_2519.jpgDSC_2520.jpgDSC_2521.jpgDSC_2522.jpgDSC_2523.jpgDSC_2524.jpgDSC_2525.jpgDSC_2526.jpgDSC_2527.jpgDSC_2528.jpgDSC_2529.jpgDSC_2531.jpg

Here is a group photo, 2 of the people not shown.

DSC_2533.jpg

In conclusion this was just an amazing day I will never forget. Meeting new friends, being invited into the homes of fellow collectors and playing so many games was an experience I will never forget. Riding around in a limo was fun, not having to worry about driving or having some drinks. It was so intriguing to see how collectors deeper in have arranged their machines, curated their collection, and incorporated it into their homes.

To all 3 host families, thank you so much for opening up your homes and private collections to us. It was because of you that this was even possible to begin with.

To the enthusiasts of DFW and beyond, I will continue to create, arrange, promote and host events related to pinball. When not messing with my own events, I want to assist others with theirs in any way I can.This is what I want to do . I really feel as if doing little things to change it up and keep it fresh can have a long term beneficial impact on our hobby as a whole. Thank you all for your support. Long live pinball.

-Jared

#2 5 years ago

looks amazing, great and clever idea. jelous im so far away, looks like you guys had a blast.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

looks amazing, great and clever idea. jelous im so far away, looks like you guys had a blast.

Thanks so much for checking it out! Maybe you could organize something like this in your own neck of the woods?

#4 5 years ago

This was an excellent adventure! It was very exciting visiting three different but equally awesome collections in one day.

My favorite pinball of the night was the modded Creature a From The Black Lagoon.

It had an LCD display instead of the hologram.

Made me want to get one for myself. The LCD mod has breathed new life into CFTBL for me.

Marcus

#5 5 years ago

ballin'
    thumbs up!

#6 5 years ago

Moved to Pinball Parties Sub Forum. Sure wish I could have made it. Looks like an amazing time. See you all in Houston this weekend though.

#7 5 years ago

Epic! *green w/ envy*

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#8 5 years ago

so cool you put this together. you are doing some amazing things for the hobby sir.

great interview on Gameroom Junkies, also.

http://gameroomjunkies.com/index.php/2013/10/31/podcast-episode-32-gameroom-evangelists-with-jared-guynes/

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from joelreeves:

so cool you put this together. you are doing some amazing things for the hobby sir.
    great interview on Gameroom Junkies, also.
    http://gameroomjunkies.com/index.php/2013/10/31/podcast-episode-32-gameroom-evangelists-with-jared-guynes/

Thanks for checking that out man.

I was looking around here on pinside to see if someone made a thread of it we have any listeners... cool to see someone heard it.

You will be hearing much more about my efforts and events as time goes on. This is just the beginning.

#10 5 years ago

We should visit Texas nice gamerooms there

#11 5 years ago

Wow! Coolest thing on pinside this year for sure Jared. Were there any challenges you would care to share?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Wow! Coolest thing on pinside this year for sure Jared. Were there any challenges you would care to share?

As a participant in this tour, here are some of my observations about the travel portion of the tour.

#1. When a limo company says a limo can fit 14 people, they mean 14 people squeezed in tightly. If the price is the same, I would rather take this tour on a tour bus (ala Greyhound style bus) over a limo.

#2. Always, and I mean always, bring a professional magician on the tour. Diamond Jim Tyler was the super secret special guest. His magic tricks were fantastic and he almost stole the tour!

#3. Start the tour earlier in the morning to account for travel time to the first location.

#4. Jared deserves every prop and hearty slap on the back he gets for this tour. It exceeded my expectations. Well done.

Marcus

#13 5 years ago

Man, those 12 hours really flew by. Thanks for posting up all of the pics and for all of the work you put in to make this a success. I finally got to spend some quality time on BK2000 and I finally got to play the lower level on AC/DC among other things.

#14 5 years ago

This needs to be done in SoCal, but it would take a week here.

#15 5 years ago

Very cool and some crazy collections out there!

Hm, may have to do a pinball bar crawl tournament - since there are a ton of bars within walking distance we can stumble around my neighborhood and do something similar

#16 5 years ago

Man I have only seen a Foodfight ONCE in my life and that was at Six Flags Great America WAY back in the day!! Would love to get another crack at one, not to mention another play at Omega Race.

Great collections and super nice of the hosts to share them! Looks like it was a blast!

#17 5 years ago

This looks like crazy fun. Great idea!

#18 5 years ago

Along with our usual pin parties hosted by a variety of hosts, we have a little something we call the Ball Crawl. Appetizers at one house for three hours, dinner at my house for three hours, then after dinner drinks and desert at the last house until the wee hours.

Last year we had close to fifty people involved. It's now become the "don't miss" party for most of us.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

This looks like crazy fun. Great idea!

I'm thinking a Michigan tour! Maybe somewhere where there's some large collections in close proximity, maybe? But where would that be?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

I'm thinking a Michigan tour! Maybe somewhere where there's some large collections in close proximity, maybe? But where would that be?

LostLumberJack's place in Evart.

#21 5 years ago

WOW

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

As a participant in this tour, here are some of my observations about the travel portion of the tour.
    #1. When a limo company says a limo can fit 14 people, they mean 14 people squeezed in tightly. If the price is the same, I would rather take this tour on a tour bus (ala Greyhound style bus) over a limo.
    #2. Always, and I mean always, bring a professional magician on the tour. Diamond Jim Tyler was the super secret special guest. His magic tricks were fantastic and he almost stole the tour!
    #3. Start the tour earlier in the morning to account for travel time to the first location.
    #4. Jared deserves every prop and hearty slap on the back he gets for this tour. It exceeded my expectations. Well done.
    Marcus

thanks so much!

Always going to improve!!!

#23 5 years ago

Nicely done plus great pics and writeup. You got it a lot but didn't try too much.

Were you secretly lugging an ACDC around with you in the limo? Seems it was everywhere.

#24 5 years ago

Allright Jared...please accomodate your fellow pinheads wishes with the following:

1) Rename the event to something markety and catchy pinball related.
    2) Offer high rez professional (by you) photos of whatever the host wants as a benefit to opening their gameroom.
    3) Offer hosts a small plaque with the date and name of event as a commemoration, something to hang on the wall
    4) Include professional highrez photos of the event and at least one group shot for the host. The group shot could be hung with the plaque.
    5) Plan an event in Los Angeles.
    6) Plan New York.
    7) Plan Seattle.
    8) Chi town.

You get the picture. I think your proof of concept is done, now let's get exotic.

Finally - overseas baby! I know some argentinian pinheads who get real animated....

ps-price point - stay low and then as it gets down to the wire offer the BIG upgrade to the tour bus. plan is for the bus from the beginning, but we want to avoid sticker shock.

pps-I am curious Jared - should you start with the guests? or the hosts? which did you do for this tour?

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Allright Jared...please accomodate your fellow pinheads wishes with the following:
    1) Rename the event to something markety and catchy pinball related.
    2) Offer high rez professional (by you) photos of whatever the host wants as a benefit to opening their gameroom.
    3) Offer hosts a small plaque with the date and name of event as a commemoration, something to hang on the wall
    4) Include professional highrez photos of the event and at least one group shot for the host. The group shot could be hung with the plaque.
    5) Plan an event in Los Angeles.
    6) Plan New York.
    7) Plan Seattle.
    Chi town.
    You get the picture. I think your proof of concept is done, now let's get exotic.
    Finally - overseas baby! I know some argentinian pinheads who get real animated....
    ps-price point - stay low and then as it gets down to the wire offer the BIG upgrade to the tour bus. plan is for the bus from the beginning, but we want to avoid sticker shock.
    pps-I am curious Jared - should you start with the guests? or the hosts? which did you do for this tour?

Haha. So much info!!!!!

Ok, we'll to your last question. I lined up the hosts first. Without hosts, there is no tour. So I made sure they were all setup in advance before marketing the event.

The event is non profit, it was all covered by the participants and one sponsor. It's not cheap, but it's a ton of fun.

I don't care to make money on events (yet) but I'd rather not lose any. I take a lot of pleasure in creating and organizing events, so my reward is seeing people say they liked it.

Other cities is possible, but honestly it's so easy there is no reason why someone can't copy my idea and just do it in their own city. That's part of why I shared this all in such detail, to inspire others to promote pinball in their own way.

I thought the event DID have a catchy name. Lol. I do marketing professionally... I could do better.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

Excellent job with this

Thanks!!

When's its gonna happen in Tennessee?

#28 5 years ago

Move here and make it happen!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 254.99
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside