(Topic ID: 284342)

The 2022 Pinball Awards: Saturday LIVE - WIN Toppers, Playfields, Backglasses...

By ZMeny

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RandomTask
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a4 (resized).jpg
    a2 (resized).jpg
    a3 (resized).jpg
    a1 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    323358275_623994039530977_8807190044312159772_n (resized).jpg
    The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png
    2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif
    PIA HOF Words (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thunderbird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#237 3 years ago

Well absolutely zero surprise here that JJP a very small company with only one offering takes most all the meaningful awards (GNR is a nice offering from JJP although, but come on, really?). Stern got almost nothing meaningful, another no surprise result. Name of the show should be changed to “The Certain JJP (will get) Pinball Awards Show”. Already predict this same group will award TS most all of the awards next year too. Let’s save some time for everyone and just declare TS winner in most categories now! We don’t even need to play it. Lol

(All you so called pinball media people remember, if Stern wasn’t in the game, there wouldn’t be one. Relying on small companies releasing 1 game every couple of years and this industry would dry up almost overnight.) Shocking how 2 of the best pinball games ever created: TMNT and AIQ were almost shunned in this awards show. (Also as expected: JJP fanboys downvoting this viewpoint, even though I said nothing against GNR. lol)

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

No down vote but which Stern game was a better complete package and execution then GnR? Curious what and why for your vote.

Downvoting or upvoting is nonsense actually. Discussing and respecting how others feel, should be what this forum is about.

Nothing against GNR and don’t want to get into my dog is bigger than your dog. It’s all subjective, but both AIQ and TMNT have excellent merits, just as other companies products, but obviously were not given much credence by this small committee imo. From my point of view both those games are more fun and will last longer in a home setting. But that opinion is also subjective, but thanks for asking.

Quoted from joelbob:

Hey Thunderbird, I'm a fellow TMNT owner and I've had AIQ in my possession for a few months now and I'm really struggling with some of your statements. I was one of the 40 people that voted on the game awards and we were told to be as objective as possible when deciding these votes. That was NOT easy. I was constantly asking myself is this "my" favorite or I have removed my personal preferences from my vote. This turned out to be quite a battle in my head.
    Out of 14 awards Stern took home 5, JJP 6, Spooky 2, and Multimorphic 1. I absolutely respect Stern for what they have done for this hobby but I feel 5/14 is far from being shunned.
    -Best Art BG/Cab - TMNT - This was super easy for me to vote for with AIQ being my #2
    -Best Art Playfield - TMNT - Once again that was my votes with AIQ being my #2
    -Best Playfield Layout - AIQ - This was also my vote. Anyone that has shot AIQ knows Keith is brilliant.
    -Best Rules - AIQ - Also my vote. The rules are unbelievably complex but they are incredibly well balanced and a ton of fun.
    -Best Accessory - ST - The UV light kit is incredible. I wish it would have been stock but there isn't an accessory that adds more to a game last year than that.
    These 5 categories were a lock in my book and it looks like the rest of the group agreed.
    -Best Toys - Heist - The crane on this game is unbelievable. I think you could argue the Portal Lock/Avengers Tower are great but personally I don't think they are better that the interaction the crane in Heist has. TMNT is really neat but once again personally I find the crane offers more. (tough vote I would say)
    -Best Sound Effects - R&M - I'm sorry but neither TMNT nor AIQ are in the running here. I'm not saying they are bad but R&M is in a different league with all the different dimension sounds.
    -Best Call Outs - R&M - I would agree that TMNT has great call outs and if they used original actors maybe they would have won, but R&M did use the actual actor and recorded a ton of custom call outs for this game. AIQ is not in the running.
    -Best Lighting Effects - TMNT and AIQ have good lights, but R&M and G&R are on an entirely different level. Until Stern moves all their lights to fully RGB I think it would be very hard to vote for them in this category.
    -Best Theme Integration - This one I would actually consider TMNT in the running. Personally I voted G&R because you actually feel like you are at the concert when playing that game. Personally I think this is one of AIQ weaknesses.
    -Best Innovation - G&R won this for their new switches and hotrails. I'm sorry but TMNT uses mechs that have been used before. AIQ does have the raising portal lock which is neat but the "switchless" switches in G&R are much more innovative. Personally I would have Heist being in 2nd place before AIQ or TMNT.
    -Best Music - This is between G&R and R&M. This vote I struggled with A TON. Personally I like R&M music more but how do you ignore G&R's music being loved by millions of people all over the world. I actually don't remember which one I picked because I went back and forth so many times. I did not consider TMNT or AIQ in the running here. I do like TMNT's music but it isn't on the same level as those other two games.
    -Best Animations - This was another vote I struggles with. Personally I was between G&R and R&M. G&R has all the concert assets and graphics they use during their live show as well as some amazing 3D renderings JJP created. R&M is an animated show loved by millions of people and it is full of clips from the show. Once again I don't remember which one I voted because I was so back and forth. I like TMNT's animations but they aren't at the same level as the other two. AIQ could use some help with their animations.
    -Best in Show - G&R - THIS WAS NOT EASY TO VOTE ON. I know I can't vote what is my personal favorite game or what would be a keeper in my collection because that is not how we are supposed to judge (that would have been TMNT). I was between G&R, AIQ, and R&M. R&M is fun but brutal. Amazing music and immersion. AIQ has amazing shots and rules with countless ways to play it. It is a competition players dream. G&R is playing a concert in a box. The rules are great. The music and immersion is insane. I ended up voting for G&R because I personally think it will do more for the pinball hobby in the long run than AIQ will. This pin is being loved by high end players as well as their friends/family that just dabble in pinball. If AIQ had better sound/animations then maybe but with the rules it currently has it will never be accessible to the "beginner" crowd like G&R is. I ended up picking what I thought was the more well rounded pin. I'd consider TMNT a more complete package compared to AIQ but besides Art I think G&R does almost everything else better.
    Well if you made it this far please consider that 40 people tried their hardest to make this as objective and fair as possible. There was no hidden agenda here. It was just a group of people (that happen to be pinball media) that all took this very seriously trying to give every single one of the 8 games a chance in every category. I know I voted different in a few of the categories for the Twippy's because that was me voting for what is my favorite and not what I feel is the best in each specific category.

Thanks for your excellent explanation on how you voted. Much appreciated!

#259 3 years ago

Judging an unfinished AIQ game was almost not fair, imo. Will be interesting to compare how the Twipys turn out.

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

GNR is unfinished too.

Come on again really? JJP games are never finished, they continue working on them forever, because of so few releases. Which is not a bad thing for consumers, but AIQ did not have some major features when the judging took place.

#287 3 years ago

Zach a big thanks to you and Greg for all the work you put into the awards show, in all seriousness.

But I also want to thank you both for the pinball laugh of the year when you said, “it is like these two titans: JJP and Stern battling it out, we can’t wait to see the results”. Looooooool Two titans??? JJP can barely manufacture 45 games a week, of one title in nearly 3 years and you call them a titan? JJP is a tiny company. No knock for that at all, but let’s look at reality. Six titles in nearly 12 years of being in business is not anywhere close to being even a tiny titan. Spooky has done that in much less time, so by your definition, Spooky a 19 man crew is a titan too (Your extreme JJP bias is showing)? Stern puts out 75 games a day, of many sku’s each year. They are the only ones that can be classified as a titan in the world of pinball.

I do hope some day in the future, JJP will challenge Stern, but that seems nearly impossible at their very high retail price points. Even though they do put a little more into their machines. But they certainly don’t put $3,000 to $5,000.00 more over what Stern charges into their BOM, not even remotely close.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thunderbird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-industry-awards?tu=thunderbird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.