(Topic ID: 284342)

The 2022 Pinball Awards: Saturday LIVE - WIN Toppers, Playfields, Backglasses...

By ZMeny

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RandomTask
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a4 (resized).jpg
    a2 (resized).jpg
    a3 (resized).jpg
    a1 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    323358275_623994039530977_8807190044312159772_n (resized).jpg
    The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png
    2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif
    PIA HOF Words (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#125 3 years ago

My criticism of the PIA awards and a consideration for next year, is to increase the pool of those voting. Criticism of the major awards shows in the past have revolved over the pool of electors not being representative. In response, the better shows expanded their voters and public ire was tamped down.

For instance in 2014, the Academy awards was composed of 99% white males at the average age of 65. This year it is expected to be 50% women and 30% minorities. So they have worked hard each year to increase representation and today they have overcome perceived biases. I don’t think PIA has the same kind of biases, but it does have a perception problem to conquer.

With a base of 40 judges, the pool of judges is too damn small. Figure out a way to expand it to 100 and you will have made excellent progress. This is commonly achieved by creating subgroups of judges within the pool and extending invitations to vote. The funny thing is nobody questions the qualifications of the judges for the major awards shows, but what qualification do these people really need? If they have a pulse and belong to a subgroup, they are invited to vote. Same should apply to PIA awards by inviting pinball media to fill 50% of voters and use other subgroups to comprise the balance that are non TPN members. There is plenty of room for improvement after reaching this milestone too, but diversity prevents any possibility of collusion.

Otherwise, I am following this years show with enthusiasm. I applaud the organizers of this year’s event and think they have created something that is entertaining, significant and worthwhile.

1 year later
    #313 2 years ago

I oughta be home from dinner soon and will be sitting down on the sofa and tuning in for the live performance.

#316 2 years ago

LTG can’t be stopped

2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-industry-awards?tu=jeffspinballpalace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.