(Topic ID: 284342)

The 2022 Pinball Awards: Saturday LIVE - WIN Toppers, Playfields, Backglasses...

By ZMeny

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RandomTask
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a4 (resized).jpg
    a2 (resized).jpg
    a3 (resized).jpg
    a1 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    323358275_623994039530977_8807190044312159772_n (resized).jpg
    The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png
    2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif
    PIA HOF Words (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZMeny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

The Pinball Awards (formerly The Pinball Industry Awards)

We are creating an additional awards show for the pinball industry. The Pinball Awards is multifaceted and it’s aim is to celebrate all the exceptional work being done each and every year for what we all love most, pinball.

The Pinball Awards is primarily a critics-choice awards with a public vote now added into the mix. A pre-vetted panel of media judges and the public will help honor the best of pinball. The Pinball Awards is a transparent, objective, and respectful celebration of the industry.

We also need YOUR vote! The general public will help induct our favorite machines into what will be known as The Pinball Machine Hall Of Fame. One machine from each era (EMs, 70s SS, 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s) will be inducted into the 2022 Class. The general public can now vote one machine from each era into The Pinball Machine Hall Of Fame.

The Pinball Awards will be broadcasted on January 28th 2023 9/8c at youtube.com/thepinballnetwork

CHECK IT OUT NOW!

youtube.com/thepinballnetwork

PinballAwards.com

- The Pinball Industry Awards Committee

The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).pngThe Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

The Pinball Show: A Special Announcement

Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Zach Meny

Dennis and Zach are excited to share with you, a special project that they and many at TPN have been working on.

email: [email protected]
    facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/
    thepinballindustryawards.com

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-qs6kt-f5c7bc

4263792C-B11F-4FC0-918C-FBC0D70FF5D5 (resized).jpeg4263792C-B11F-4FC0-918C-FBC0D70FF5D5 (resized).jpeg
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Looking forward to this!

Hey thanks Gambit! We think the community will have fun watching all of the awards this winter

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from zenbone:

put in my votes, looking forward to this. I do 2 - 3 hour long podcasts a week, time to start up a Pinball one so i can be in on the judging next year!

Thanks and heck yeah, we’d love that!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

AKA award a podcaster who’s not Kaneda awards

I believe Kaneda will qualify as part of the Media Judging Panel, so he’s included and likely will be voting on the main game awards

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Does the tiny pinball industry really need another award show?

We hope people will enjoy the entertainment and if not, we have no intention of forcing people to watch it. But, maybe you’ll have fun participating?

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

So, the P.I.A.s?

Fitting right? To manufacturers, media are often just that, a PIA hahaha

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

Interesting, the guy that was in four categories for Twipy awards last year includeing pinball rookie of the year, and won nothing started his own awards show.

I was honored to be associated with all of those categories in the first place! Felt great to receive that amount of positive feedback.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

But how do we reward the award show that host the best award show?

There are no winners there Rez

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

So I’m just a loser : (

No, Im saying those that are trying to create an awards show honoring the hard work of industry creators are the real losers.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not bad. I would say "Pinball Media Awards" makes the most sense but too late now.
    Pinball Industry is just confusing as you can't be employed by the Pinball Industry to be a judge even though Sales are part of The Pinball Industry....Zach

now I'm confused haha

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Join the club!
    I'm just here to vote for Dennis, but I didn't see a Dennis category.

He is greatness we agree on that.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The “pinball media” is a joke in the first place
    If you have a mouth and a microphone you are considered “pinball media”. Lol
    Anything we can laugh at and make fun of is good with me
    The Super Awesome pinball show is delivering some great interviews and real “news”
    I am anxious to hear about what you had for breakfast or how your last dump went though. Seriously, some people need a self awareness pill

...I agree...

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Myles32:

Don’t need another awards show period. But do what you like but I am won’t be supporting this project Good luck

Appreciate you letting us know

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

If only Gryszzz was here...

(Gasp) maybe Gryzzz can host?! Haha now THAT would be something, wouldn’t it?

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

This is so Hollywood.
    More award shows to stroke egos.

We are celebrating pinball and thanking those that make it possible. We encourage you to do the same this Holiday Season.

1 week later
    #90 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so basically you need to have a podcast that’s run for two and a half months with 12 viewers, own two pinball machines from decades ago and you are the “pinball industry”? Who would want to win such an award?

False claims, but appreciate the never ending comments and support Neil.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Perhaps this is a test and if you make this selection your ballot is shredded, but I noticed that Thunderbirds is listed as American Pinball instead of Homepin.

Damn! You caught our internal validity detection system! Nicely done hahaha

1 week later
    #127 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

My criticism of the PIA awards and a consideration for next year, is to increase the pool of those voting. Criticism of the major awards shows in the past have revolved over the pool of electors not being representative. In response, the better shows expanded their voters and public ire was tamped down.
    For instance in 2014, the Academy awards was composed of 99% white males at the average age of 65. This year it is expected to be 50% women and 30% minorities. So they have worked hard each year to increase representation and today they have overcome perceived biases. I don’t think PIA has the same kind of biases, but it does have a perception problem to conquer.
    With a base of 40 judges, the pool of judges is too damn small. Figure out a way to expand it to 100 and you will have made excellent progress. This is commonly achieved by creating subgroups of judges within the pool and extending invitations to vote. The funny thing is nobody questions the qualifications of the judges for the major awards shows, but what qualification do these people really need? If they have a pulse and belong to a subgroup, they are invited to vote. Same should apply to PIA awards by inviting pinball media to fill 50% of voters and use other subgroups to comprise the balance that are non TPN members. There is plenty of room for improvement after reaching this milestone too, but diversity prevents any possibility of collusion.
    Otherwise, I am following this years show with enthusiasm. I applaud the organizers of this year’s event and think they have created something that is entertaining, significant and worthwhile.

It’s tough to include more voters when some eligible media didn’t sign up to vote. We agree and that’s why we had the criteria well defined and opened to tons of media to participate. We can only control what we can control. It’s up to media to share value in it as well and sign up. So I think we did our job expanding the voting.

1 week later
    #129 3 years ago

LIVE TONIGHT! Jan 28th 8pm cst

#131 3 years ago

We’re LIVE! Come by and hang out during The Pinball Industry Awards.

Who’s gonna win a Crystal?!?!

YouTube.com/thepinballnetwork

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dogford_Studios:

Twenty years in the publishing market seeing the wall between editorial and sales.
    There are just too many conflicts of interest. There is no independent editorial review - car industry has independent magazines like Car and Driver. Even model railroading has Model Railroader Magazine and the National Model Railroad Association. Ad sales and editorial parts of the publications kept separate.
    At some publications sales guys aren't even allowed on the editorial floor.

I think you are misinformed about how winners were selected...

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Where’s the list of all the people that voted as “media”?

Will be on the website shortly. I believe one of our committee members just posted the lists on social media as well. Our goal is always full transparency which we feel awards need to gain full support

Thepinballindustryawards.com

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

He should have. It would have been funny asf, but Zach is a smart guy and knows that probably would have seemed fishy. Would have made for a great gag though.
    Also Silverball Chronicles got snubbed. Not even a nomination. Come on guys. This is the best thing on TPN!

Watch the show you may be surprised about me giving myself an award

And while I agree Chronicles got snubbed, the minute we do that and then we get shit on for giving ourselves awards. Our attempt at celebration and promoting pinball will always result in a lose-lose situation.

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I was watching, but I was also prepping food so maybe I missed it? Like I said, I really enjoyed the show, even though you guys made some choices that I didn't like!

Thanks for watching! Yeah I made fun of myself by having an award made for me as Best Shill. I agree with ya and disagreed with some of the choices, but that’s the beauty of a panel of voters. Everyone has an equal voice. I also did not vote for the games categories considering the optics surrounding my affiliation as a dealer

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

So I'm caught up.
    yelobird - just to address your point, it's just the hypocrisy that people are calling out. I'm all for free content and giving back to the community - I 100% agree with you on that. In fact, I do the same by making custom firmware and never charging anyone or accepting donations for it.
    But this is different.
    First self appointing yourself an expert and than judging others is just a D move. Period. The industry is super small - from games, to podcasters, etc. Majority, if not everyone has heard of these games before. Let the people decide! It just comes off as a prick move. Also - anyone who thinks Houdini is better than ToM shouldn’t be allowed to judge anything ; )
    Then they go after TWIPYS, putting it down. Again a D move. Yet they cry innocence and wanting to help everyone. It's just so poorly communicated but what’s new.
    So that's all - it's pinball. Stupid stuff, move on....but I will call out BS when I see it. Others have as well.
    If they want to help their image, be genuine, don't come off as being better than others and if you're going to talk smack, man up and talk to those who disagree with you. Don't run away scared and hide with only those that agree with you. We're not all going to agree with each other (and that's fine!) but others will respect you for at least stepping up. Cheers.

This is/was a team effort so it’s unfortunate to see you take your personal issues with me and generalize the unfounded and ignorant criticisms to them as well. They are great and hard-working pinball peers.

Myself personally “judging” these games and calling it a “D move” and calling me a prick, please dig a bigger hole and confirm for everyone that I actually voted on the game categories...

I would also appreciate throughout this slander for you to cite some examples of The Pinball Industry Awards ‘going after the TWIPYs’. We continue to celebrate and encourage people to watch, vote, etc. We even on numerous occasions voiced full support of those awards and made every effort to separate the PIAs to offer something different. Would love some citations, maybe from both awards parties.

Also, if you could, provide examples of the PIAs trying to be better than everyone else. And provide examples of who I am smack-talking and not speaking directly to them. I’d love some evidence of this as well.

No issues with you creating an agenda-filled post, but I do have issues with you creating a false narrative with no evidence. As a result, you are merely saying incorrect things to harm others, which is significantly disrupting the community as it is and has no place here or anywhere else.

- The Prick

#244 3 years ago
    Quoted from LordHumungus:

U bunch of dorks. Its a hobby. There shouldn't even be awards. Zach does it for views on his channel and why not? all award shows are exactly that, a show to make money. GnR is a better game than than this and I prefer that, who gives a shit. At least the grammies (which stink) and the Oscars (also lots of stink) when u win an award it will help u in ur career and make u feel really important, for a while anyway. Furthermore if ur game wins GOTY and that makes u feel important or really good in any way then please walk urself right into oncoming traffic. Point is pinball awards achieve nothing other than to let certain fuckfaces bring up how their pin whether it be Stern or JJP etc. is GOTY. And maybe when they sell said game they can throw that into the ad. Fuckfaces that they are.

Appreciate the feedback and perspective, albeit misguided. You’re assuming I made all the decisions, however I’m merely one vote among the committee to conduct these awards. In addition, if I wanted the clicks I would have pushed for the Crystals to be on the SDTM YouTube page and not the TPN channel. That would have likely doubled or tripled the views. And if I was trying to make some cold hard cash on this show then I wouldn’t have bought all of those beautiful trophies and production equipment and editing assets and voiceover work and the countless hours away from distribution to put it all together. So that theory doesn’t work.

Maybe, just maybe, my weird ass actually likes pinball and creating content with my friends. (cue gasp)

#277 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Well he did give himself an award for being a shill so I think that's a good connection, besides which the whole thing was sponsored by FnO - clever marketing - BUY BUY BUY

Ultimately ZPin I think everyone understands where you are coming from. And yes, I placed my business' logo at the beginning and end of the ceremony because the business truly sponsored this event. I'm sure Trophy Depot would not mind if someone buying a trophy for their next event was like, hey, I liked that Pinball Award show thingy, I'll give them a try. If you scroll up to the top of this Pinside website youll see the same thing, sponsors. Click on the tv, sponsors.

I can say that placing Flip N Out Pinball at the beginning and end wasn't some genius ploy to brainwash people into buying a pinball machine though. I dont need to defend this either because it's rather silly, but as my buddy Dennis Kriesel always reminds me, its about the data and the numbers. The data does not suggest, or has not yet, that anyone has called me since the event to place an order and said The Industry Awards sold me on this purchase. The other data indicates that Greg and I started producing and creating Awards prior to my ownership of Flip N Out Pinball, thus conflicting with the original suggestion of creation merely to make money. The last data point I'd ask you to consider is the cost of this event. Where does that money come from? I'd be more than happy to send you the bills if youd like to reimburse me and will gladly edit out the Flip N Out Pinball logo, hell I'll put a picture of you up in it's place.

The point is, that it's actually conceivable that less than 100% (as you are claiming) intention on the creation of The Pinball Industry Awards was done so without an attempt to make money. No evidence supports your claim. The TPN Team created this as a way to acknowledge the people we as media respect in the industry for their efforts in 2020....and yeah, maybe even have a little feeling of fun, teamwork, and accomplishment in the process. I'm not always the smartest businessperson, but at least I know that the time and money spent on this would have been much better allotted to actual sponsorship/advertising efforts for my business.

That's the last I will comment on the sponsors of The Pinball Industry Awards and I do very much appreciate your concern, although objectively proven false.

*Disclaimer: My mentioning of Flip N Out Pinball, LLC above was not an attempt to subliminally make you want to purchase a pinball product from us, but....BUY BUY BUY!!!!

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

You tricked everyone by sponsoring your own award show
    [quoted image]

I actually heard that skit in my mind watching that gif haha

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Zach a big thanks to you and Greg for all the work you put into the awards show, in all seriousness.
    But I also want to thank you both for the pinball laugh of the year when you said, “it is like these two titans: JJP and Stern battling it out, we can’t wait to see the results”. Looooooool Two titans??? JJP can barely manufacture 45 games a week, of one title in nearly 3 years and you call them a titan? JJP is a tiny company. No knock for that at all, but let’s look at reality. Six titles in nearly 12 years of being in business is not anywhere close to being even a tiny titan. Spooky has done that in much less time, so by your definition, Spooky a 19 man crew is a titan too (Your extreme JJP bias is showing)? Stern puts out 75 games a day, of many sku’s each year. They are the only ones that can be classified as a titan in the world of pinball.
    I do hope some day in the future, JJP will challenge Stern, but that seems nearly impossible at their very high retail price points. Even though they do put a little more into their machines. But they certainly don’t put $3,000 to $5,000.00 more over what Stern charges into their BOM, not even remotely close.

Now that’s a good discussion topic. I wouldn’t argue with your stance that Stern is in a league of their own regarding manufacturing and quantity production. If there was an award for best overall manufacturing process, Stern would take home crystal every year. But....now this is a significant But....if we as a group here (including yourself) are recognizing aspects such as art, design, geometry, coding, sound, etc., then the end products both stand tall for one hell of a Showdown, titans if you will.

Now I do think a recognition of manufacturing is interesting to think about, and worthy. I think we can both agree on that maybe being overlooked in any pinball awards.

This is fun chat thank you Thunderbird

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

If I had to add one thing I’d like to see in this (or any) Pinball award show is a lifetime achievement award. We are now hitting the era where these few pinball icons might not be around. Giving accolades posthumously is just not the right way. I was thinking specifically of somebody like Chris Granner who for me is the John Williams of Pinball. The first machine I heard him create music for was Pinbot. It brought that game to life and wouldn’t have been half the game without it. He went on to do the funky keys in Funhouse, TZ, Whitewater, etc - you know the rest. Incredible body of work - not a single lifetime achievement award. This is like the Grammys missing Jimmy Hendrix. So can we make this happen zmeny ?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Granner
    There are a select set of others I’m sure that are worthy. These guys made the industry possible. This is my 2 cents, worth half a penny

It was our full intention to have a Lifetime Achievement Award and an award to celebrate Homebrew as well as a few others but we decided that time would not allow us to create these with the quality and focus they deserved for year 1. Very likely will happen next year.

11 months later
    #311 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

IT'S A 7PM ET SURPRISE! The Pinball Industry Awards will be dropping tonight on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePinballNetwork

I believe we have it set for 7PM Central

#312 2 years ago

LIVE TONIGHT

The Second Annual Pinball Industry Awards

The 2021 Crystals

Who will be bringing home the glass this year?!

#315 2 years ago

I oughta be home from dinner soon and will be sitting down on the sofa and tuning in for the live performance.

Quoted from LTG:

I'm ready. Acceptance speech and everything.
    LTG : )

Hell Yeah! Thanks guys! Cya there

#317 2 years ago

LTG can’t be stopped[quoted image]

Hahaha hopefully everyone has comfy sweatpants on and is staying warm

11 months later
    #331 1 year ago

OKAY Y'ALL

It's time for The 2022 Pinball Awards and TODAY is the LAST DAY for YOU to sign-up to become a judge for this year's program

Fast, Easy, & Fun

If you're a fan of pinball and have paid attention to the new games of the year and the media covering them, sign up as a PUBLIC MEMBER.

If you create media for pinball or if you are a high-level competition player, sign up as a JUDGE.

Public ballot request form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GZ976JB
    Judges ballot request form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8M63VZV

ALSO, tune in LIVE on January 28th at youtube.com/thepinballnetwork to watch The Pinball Awards! AND WIN FREE PRIZES AND GIVEAWAYS!!!

#332 1 year ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

Agree here - 10% isn’t enough but I’m glad it was implemented. I get having tournament players and top 100 but I question that pinball media and streamers… they aren’t necessarily any more “experts” than the public just because they talk about pinball.
    I think it be cool to get people who play in local pinball leagues to vote there is a good mix of people.

I'm pretty confident that pinball streamers and media creators have more knowledge about 2022 pinball than the countless toddlers and pets and paid bots that vote in some awards contests. But yes, calling anyone an "Expert" is a stretch.

We do what we can to create an awards show that best attempts to give everyone that loves pinball a chance to let their voice be heard while also preventing someone from abusing a system in efforts to fuel their own need for recognition and insecurities.

2 weeks later
    #335 1 year ago

THIS SATURDAY - CELEBRATE - WIN STUFF - LIVE

Playfields, Toppers, Backglasses, Limited Edition Collectibles, Banners, Shooter Rods, Art Blades, Accessories, AND MORE!

...maybe a few surprises as well

the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).pngthe pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    #338 1 year ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

I'm so proud of all my fellow members of The Pinball Awards committee! The 2022 awards blew me away! George should be proud of the live stream because not only did it come to get well live, the presentation was stunning! Zachary and Greg hosting was once again wonderful and they brought some serious wit (at least half of it). Amanda and at the prize table made me laugh a bunch of times! Guys, I'm so thrilled at what you put together and you should be too!

Couldn’t have had the physical show without all of your work in voting processes and preparation etc

#340 1 year ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

I couldn’t help notice the one name you left out…

hahahahahaha

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZMeny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-industry-awards?tu=ZMeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.