(Topic ID: 284342)

The 2022 Pinball Awards: Saturday LIVE - WIN Toppers, Playfields, Backglasses...

By ZMeny

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RandomTask
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a4 (resized).jpg
    a2 (resized).jpg
    a3 (resized).jpg
    a1 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    323358275_623994039530977_8807190044312159772_n (resized).jpg
    The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png
    2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif
    PIA HOF Words (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 3 years ago

so basically you need to have a podcast that’s run for two and a half months with 12 viewers, own two pinball machines from decades ago and you are the “pinball industry”? Who would want to win such an award?

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Not true... their criteria doesn't require ownership of any pinball machines.

yikes.

Quoted from ZMeny:

False claims, but appreciate the never ending comments and support Neil.

I'll leave you to argue the perception all day Zach! I'm actually trying to help you. You need to make the awards "worthy". The other awards don't have to worry about that because they are voted by the public. but the TPN awards do otherwise they become the valueless awards.

Regards,
    Neil.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

"Pinball Hobbyist Media" actually... And there isn't a requirement to own any machines... It's on at https://www.thepinballindustryawards.com/

OK phew, it's not the industry awards, it's the TPN awards? The TiPNeys?

Good luck with your event!

Regards,
    Neil.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

I’d like some clarification and you to elaborate on what makes the other awards not have to worry about being worthy simply because they are voted on by the public, people’s family’s, work college's, friends, as Kaneda says your mail man? Or are you saying they don’t have to worry about it because they are not worthy because they are voted on by the public?

Greg, a people's vote is what you make it, i.e. "self worthiness";

The first twipy awards, I was driving home from work late listening to you guys, and you gave me a mention as part of the streamers award and I was over the moon just to get a mention and that some of the folks who watched my stream took the time to nominate me; but if I'd won it I'd simply have refused to accept it because there were many more people worthy and Jack rightly won it and I was very happy for him knowing how much effort he puts in, I could easily have got thousands of people I know to vote for me and win it, but could I look myself in the mirror? hell no.

Let your pinball base vote and look yourself in the mirror that the people who know what you did voted for you, if you won then you won on what you do in pinball.

Get your family, work buddies, movie club or mail man to vote for you, look in the mirror knowing that it was nothing to do with your pinball work but your ability to be friendly. Everyone will be shocked and you've won notoriety rather than recognition. No thanks. Worse than that you are getting feedback for what you do? no. Feedback is a gift and in my view a gift to treasure.

In my industry I've turned down many awards because I believed the process/org/people involved in handing them out didn't do enough of a good job to make them worthy (they no longer ask thankfully). I've asked a bunch of people vote for me in "peoples awards" more to avoid being last lol and in a previous life I was forced to take an award and I wrote a speech on acceptance that dismantled how piss poor the process was that allowed me to win the award. (the PR people didn't speak to me for a week). However, the organisation listened to what I said and completely re-did how they do awards and I was pleased to accept the award later on and discuss how it made me feel given the effort they put in to nomination, qualification and selection; now it's one of the most honoured awards to win in my industry.

Last week and earlier in the year people in my team were given Queen's honours for their work during covid, two years ago my team won an Emmy award, for the past eight years we've won the best in the country award; all of those have a process and methodology that make one proud. Thats what awards need to do - make you feel proud that the people you work or the community you serve judged you and found you to be what they themselves aim to be.

If I had been in an industry for my whole career/life any recognition has to come from those qualified to give it. No disrespect but the panel that was advertised on the website simply doesn't make the mark in my view, as someone who participates in this hobby, frankly, to me it was insulting.

The people making games, mods, accessories, the people who run tournaments, events and create content, i.e. the people who make our fantastic hobby what it is, and why we love it so much, deserve the best recognition we can give them; because this is something we choose to do because we all love it and ALL of the people in the pinball industry are talented enough that they could most likely all work in other industries and probably earn a hell of a lot more.

I've since spoken to Dennis who has said alot more folks are involved, my hope is that in any awards process, all stops are pulled to ensure that those who make this hobby/industry what it is are recognised for that and that they themselves are elevated to new levels creativity because of the recognition shared with them.

I've spoken to Jeff about the TWIP awards and I know thats what he aims for also.

The best part about awards is not receiving them; it's being the one that gives them.

Regards,
    Neil.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-industry-awards?tu=NeilMcRae and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.