(Topic ID: 284342)

The 2022 Pinball Awards: Saturday LIVE - WIN Toppers, Playfields, Backglasses...

By ZMeny

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RandomTask
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a4 (resized).jpg
    a2 (resized).jpg
    a3 (resized).jpg
    a1 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    323358275_623994039530977_8807190044312159772_n (resized).jpg
    The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png
    2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif
    PIA HOF Words (resized).jpg

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

Aka The Country Club Circle Jerk Awards

You started one!

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

Great job Zach and Greg and Dennis! I need to catch up on the show, because last night I had a hot date with a beautiful woman, so I couldn't watch the entire show live. It a value decision, LOL.

How much did that cost you? I kid I kid.

#203 3 years ago

Was a requirement that all the panelists had to have played all the nominated games? I know that would be hard to achieve this year but maybe something to consider for future years. I think that would set this awards show apart from the TWIPYs.

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Also Silverball Chronicles got snubbed. Not even a nomination. Come on guys. This is the best thing on TPN!

Thanks for the support! I'm glad people love the podcast as much as I like making it!

We will release the meeting minutes around the Excellence Judge's Panel but to add some context, I chaired the meeting and when podcast came up I removed Chronicles from being nominated to avoid a TPN conflict of interest.

We're hoping to make some changes next year to make the process better. First year means first attempt.

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

He’s right I we don’t want to mix pinball with political stands!
    There’s plenty of BLM stuff everywhere.

Then don't mix those two things when you do a pinball stream. Simple enough.

#206 3 years ago

MODERATING COMMENTS...BEHAVE PINBALL PEOPLE...

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Was a requirement that all the panelists had to have played all the nominated games? I know that would be hard to achieve this year but maybe something to consider for future years. I think that would set this awards show apart from the TWIPYs.

Why stop there.. lets get to the meat of the matter. How about having people QUALIFIED or with EXPERIENCE be the ones doing "industry awards"

The whole thing is a big circle jerk hiding under the guise of "celebrating others" and "promoting the good..."

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

How much did that cost you? I kid I kid.

LOL. I was lucky enough that she brought over and made a killer dinner! I'm just grateful she is still with me after finding out I love pinball so much. Also, when she found out how much money I am willing to spend on a game, she barely blinked!

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Why stop there.. lets get to the meat of the matter. How about having people QUALIFIED or with EXPERIENCE be the ones doing "industry awards"
    The whole thing is a big circle jerk hiding under the guise of "celebrating others" and "promoting the good..."

What do you determine as "Qualified" in this toy hobby? Has touched a plunger 50 times, has used 2 full bottles of Novus, can post pass? lol Seriously, its a simple and fun recognition of many peoples hard work. Last I checked there is no Profession of pinball player its just simple fun. Why can't anyone just appreciate someone is doing something to support a Hobby we all enjoy???

333 (resized).jpg333 (resized).jpg
    #210 3 years ago

One pinball award show is enough.
    Twippy was first so no need for a second one, it's confusing.

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Apparently the Twippys is for common scum. This is for the establishment elite who know better and can also control the narrative.

It’s a bit like Reddit vs Wall St.

#212 3 years ago

For fuck's sake, this is almost as bad as the PHOF thread. Lighten up pinball playahs!

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Not my cup of tea but; Confusing?!

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

For fuck's sake, this is almost as bad as the PHOF thread. Lighten up pinball playahs!

It’s a joke. Couldn’t give two sh*t’s about it. But it is an easy target.

#215 3 years ago

I don't know Zach & Greg, not part of any pinball scene (although I love pinball), don't really care who or what won, but I watched and I was entertained and I found out about some streamers & podcasts I wasn't aware of.

Great job!

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

What do you determine as "Qualified" in this toy hobby? Has touched a plunger 50 times, has used 2 full bottles of Novus, can post pass? lol Seriously, its a simple and fun recognition of many peoples hard work.

Then there should be no problem with equally dismissing the value or stature of said recognition if there is so little to worry about who/what it comes from.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Last I checked there is no Profession of pinball player its just simple fun. Why can't anyone just appreciate someone is doing something to support a Hobby we all enjoy???

Like I said..."The whole thing is a big circle jerk hiding under the guise of "celebrating others" and "promoting the good..."

I mean... it's not like the very same people behind this weren't already involved in ANOTHER homegrown awards program. At least that guy didn't have the gaul to name his homegrown program one that claims it represents or speaks for others.

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Although I disagree with some of the winners... I think we need more than one awards show. This was the first one and it will just get better from here on out. This hobby is growing and one show should not be the only authority or representation.

#218 3 years ago

These award shows should include categories for “Most Sour Pinsider” and “Most Qualified Pinball Know It All Authority Who Disqualifies Your Award Show” but haters would call it a “big circle jerk”

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Man I know my arm is tired!!!! Should have bought stock in lotion and not GameStop!

#220 3 years ago

Like I said..."The whole thing is a big circle jerk hiding under the guise of "celebrating others" and "promoting the good..."

Yes and as long as you BUY BUY BUY you may get a good jerk and happy ending

#221 3 years ago

Haven’t revisited this thread in while. Yelobird - mutual respect my man.

Edit to my response - thought I would understand what all the drama was before finalizing post. Work has been crazy - catching up on a lot

#222 3 years ago

I'd suggest making it biennial - instead of six machines, there would be the possibility of 10 - 12. Cut out the media/content creator stuff. No one creates it to win awards and it's not part of the industry, it is commenting/reporting/opinionating on the industry. The Oscars don't include media awards. Then you wouldn't have conflicts of interest involved.

BTW - How come no award for Distributors? Distributors and service are a big part of the industry. That and parts suppliers.

#223 3 years ago

I got in late from a trip last night, saw this video on my Youtube feed, and stayed up way too late watching it. Very enjoyable and I think all the award recipients were well-earned and properly awarded. The world is crappy enough out there to be complaining about hours of free entertaining pinball-related content being provided by the many people who put this award show together.

#224 3 years ago

You guys are ridiculous.....

They dont really need any help "selling pinball" these days.. they cant keep games in stock generally and Stern etc have more orders than they can fill.

Does pinball need an awards show?

well no... but who cares.

#225 3 years ago

Personally, I'm in this for the praise of strangers in the internet and the thrill of online discussion... It's working out well!

Thanks for enjoying the show and everyone at TPN loves knowing that we helped people discover new content creators and we entertained you for a while during a tough winter!

#226 3 years ago

Just watched tonight. You guys really did a great job! The show was entertaining and presented very well.

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flyfalcons:

I got in late from a trip last night, saw this video on my Youtube feed, and stayed up way too late watching it. Very enjoyable and I think all the award recipients were well-earned and properly awarded. The world is crappy enough out there to be complaining about hours of free entertaining pinball-related content being provided by the many people who put this award show together.

Silence! The elders have spoken and two awards shows is clearly anti-pinball. It’s obviously a subversive ruse for us to buy games from Zach. And remember, no smiling when you play pinball! Not even a smirk.

#228 3 years ago

Are the winners posted in text anywhere? I haven't had time to watch the video and just want to see who won.

http://thepinballindustryawards.com/ doesn't appear to have the list.

#229 3 years ago

So I'm caught up.

Yelobird - just to address your point, it's just the hypocrisy that people are calling out. I'm all for free content and giving back to the community - I 100% agree with you on that. In fact, I do the same by making custom firmware and never charging anyone or accepting donations for it.

But this is different.

First self appointing yourself an expert and than judging others is just a D move. Period. The industry is super small - from games, to podcasters, etc. Majority, if not everyone has heard of these games before. Let the people decide! It just comes off as a prick move. Also - anyone who thinks Houdini is better than ToM shouldn’t be allowed to judge anything ; )

Then they go after TWIPYS, putting it down. Again a D move. Yet they cry innocence and wanting to help everyone. It's just so poorly communicated but what’s new.

So that's all - it's pinball. Stupid stuff, move on....but I will call out BS when I see it. Others have as well.

If they want to help their image, be genuine, don't come off as being better than others and if you're going to talk smack, man up and talk to those who disagree with you. Don't run away scared and hide with only those that agree with you. We're not all going to agree with each other (and that's fine!) but others will respect you for at least stepping up. Cheers.

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

First self appointing yourself an expert and than judging others is just a D move. Period.

The panel of 40 people that signed up to help pick these winners disagree with you.

Letting the people decide is great. It creates a completely different and good way to look at all these categories. But there’s weakness to that structure too. Are your random Facebook friends or simply anyone with an email address really a good barometer for what the best in pinball is? I don’t think it has been abused enough to have something totally random win just due to gorilla marketing, but the risk is there.

I must have missed when they went after the twipys. That I don’t agree with at all. Can you provide some context on that?

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

So I'm caught up.
    yelobird - just to address your point, it's just the hypocrisy that people are calling out. I'm all for free content and giving back to the community - I 100% agree with you on that. In fact, I do the same by making custom firmware and never charging anyone or accepting donations for it.
    But this is different.
    First self appointing yourself an expert and than judging others is just a D move. Period. The industry is super small - from games, to podcasters, etc. Majority, if not everyone has heard of these games before. Let the people decide! It just comes off as a prick move. Also - anyone who thinks Houdini is better than ToM shouldn’t be allowed to judge anything ; )
    Then they go after TWIPYS, putting it down. Again a D move. Yet they cry innocence and wanting to help everyone. It's just so poorly communicated but what’s new.
    So that's all - it's pinball. Stupid stuff, move on....but I will call out BS when I see it. Others have as well.
    If they want to help their image, be genuine, don't come off as being better than others and if you're going to talk smack, man up and talk to those who disagree with you. Don't run away scared and hide with only those that agree with you. We're not all going to agree with each other (and that's fine!) but others will respect you for at least stepping up. Cheers.

This is/was a team effort so it’s unfortunate to see you take your personal issues with me and generalize the unfounded and ignorant criticisms to them as well. They are great and hard-working pinball peers.

Myself personally “judging” these games and calling it a “D move” and calling me a prick, please dig a bigger hole and confirm for everyone that I actually voted on the game categories...

I would also appreciate throughout this slander for you to cite some examples of The Pinball Industry Awards ‘going after the TWIPYs’. We continue to celebrate and encourage people to watch, vote, etc. We even on numerous occasions voiced full support of those awards and made every effort to separate the PIAs to offer something different. Would love some citations, maybe from both awards parties.

Also, if you could, provide examples of the PIAs trying to be better than everyone else. And provide examples of who I am smack-talking and not speaking directly to them. I’d love some evidence of this as well.

No issues with you creating an agenda-filled post, but I do have issues with you creating a false narrative with no evidence. As a result, you are merely saying incorrect things to harm others, which is significantly disrupting the community as it is and has no place here or anywhere else.

- The Prick

#232 3 years ago

He also left out 'that we created this to give awards to ourselves.'

I felt the need to remind people of that....

#233 3 years ago

Happy Monday!

We've updated the Pinball Industry Awards website late last night to include the Category Winners, Excellence Recipients and Pinball Machine Hall of Fame winners!

Also, we've included the Excellence Awards meeting minutes to add additional context! Have a great week!

www.thepinballindustryawards.com

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

This is/was a team effort so it’s unfortunate to see you take your personal issues with me and generalize the unfounded and ignorant criticisms to them as well. They are great and hard-working pinball peers.
    Myself personally “judging” these games and calling it a “D move” and calling me a prick, please dig a bigger hole and confirm for everyone that I actually voted on the game categories...
    I would also appreciate throughout this slander for you to cite some examples of The Pinball Industry Awards ‘going after the TWIPYs’. We continue to celebrate and encourage people to watch, vote, etc. We even on numerous occasions voiced full support of those awards and made every effort to separate the PIAs to offer something different. Would love some citations, maybe from both awards parties.
    Also, if you could, provide examples of the PIAs trying to be better than everyone else. And provide examples of who I am smack-talking and not speaking directly to them. I’d love some evidence of this as well.
    No issues with you creating an agenda-filled post, but I do have issues with you creating a false narrative with no evidence. As a result, you are merely saying incorrect things to harm others, which is significantly disrupting the community as it is and has no place here or anywhere else.
    - The Prick

What’s unfortunate is your continued use of the innocent card and how you’re the victim. You’ll have your shills support you in this thread as expected, although I love how even in a thread dedicated to support your cause - there are still people who will support what i say. Isn’t that embarrassing?

Take a step back - why do you think so much hate Zach? Why do you think people call you out? It’s very simple - we see the game that’s going on. You’re not fooling anyone besides the other zombies. You don’t have the respect of the people b/c we see what’s going on. Yeah you’ll have the other panelists, the pinside stern army but you don’t have the people and you know it.

As for not speaking to people who don’t kiss your ass - very simple. Go on kaneda’s show or have him come on your show and step up to the plate. That would be a start so lmk when that happens. Hopefully that example was simple enough for you.

#235 3 years ago

Zach is just a stern “shill” but JJP won the majority of the awards on his rigged award show? Too many people seeing conspiracies where there aren’t any these days. It’s just entertainment and free at that. Zach makes money off of pinball and is therefore incentivized to promote the hobby. The only reason to take issue with someone promoting your hobby is if you don’t really want the hobby to grow. The millennials have a term for that, it’s called gatekeeping. It’s bad for the health of any community and more than that it’s just a dick move. If you don’t want the thing you love to almost die like it did 20 years ago, stop gatekeeping and start promoting. Or just shut up and flip.

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The panel of 40 people that signed up to help pick these winners disagree with you.
    Letting the people decide is great. It creates a completely different and good way to look at all these categories. But there’s weakness to that structu

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Letting the people decide is great. It creates a completely different and good way to look at all these categories. But there’s weakness to that structure too. Are you random Facebook friends or simply anyone with an email address really a good barometer for what the best in pinball is?

^^^This. Letting the "people" decide is riddled with potential for fraud. And we have already seen to what extent those who are hungry will go.

#237 3 years ago

Well absolutely zero surprise here that JJP a very small company with only one offering takes most all the meaningful awards (GNR is a nice offering from JJP although, but come on, really?). Stern got almost nothing meaningful, another no surprise result. Name of the show should be changed to “The Certain JJP (will get) Pinball Awards Show”. Already predict this same group will award TS most all of the awards next year too. Let’s save some time for everyone and just declare TS winner in most categories now! We don’t even need to play it. Lol

(All you so called pinball media people remember, if Stern wasn’t in the game, there wouldn’t be one. Relying on small companies releasing 1 game every couple of years and this industry would dry up almost overnight.) Shocking how 2 of the best pinball games ever created: TMNT and AIQ were almost shunned in this awards show. (Also as expected: JJP fanboys downvoting this viewpoint, even though I said nothing against GNR. lol)

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Well absolutely zero surprise here that JJP a very small company with only one offering takes most all the meaningful awards (GNR is a nice offering from JJP although, but come on, really?). Stern got almost nothing meaningful, another no surprise result. Name of the show should be changed to “The Certain JJP (will get) Pinball Awards Show”. Already predict this same group will award TS most all of the awards next year too. Let’s save some time for everyone and just declare TS winner in most categories now! We don’t even need to play it. Lol
    (All you so called pinball media people remember, if Stern wasn’t in the game, there wouldn’t be one. Relying on small companies releasing 1 game every couple of years and this industry would dry up almost overnight.) Shocking how 2 of the best pinball games ever created: TMNT and AIQ were almost shunned in this awards show. (Also as expected: JJP fanboys downvoting this viewpoint, even though I said nothing against GNR. lol)

No down vote but which Stern game was a better complete package and execution then GnR? Curious what and why for your vote.

#239 3 years ago

U bunch of dorks. Its a hobby. There shouldn't even be awards. Zach does it for views on his channel and why not? all award shows are exactly that, a show to make money. GnR is a better game than than this and I prefer that, who gives a shit. At least the grammies (which stink) and the Oscars (also lots of stink) when u win an award it will help u in ur career and make u feel really important, for a while anyway. Furthermore if ur game wins GOTY and that makes u feel important or really good in any way then please walk urself right into oncoming traffic. Point is pinball awards achieve nothing other than to let certain fuckfaces bring up how their pin whether it be Stern or JJP etc. is GOTY. And maybe when they sell said game they can throw that into the ad. Fuckfaces that they are.

#240 3 years ago

Quoted from LordHumungus:U bunch of dorks. Its a hobby. There shouldn't even be awards. Zach does it for views on his channel and why not? all award shows are exactly that, a show to make money. GnR is a better game than than this and I prefer that, who gives a shit. At least the grammies (which stink) and the Oscars (also lots of stink) when u win an award it will help u in ur career and make u feel really important, for a while anyway. Furthermore if ur game wins GOTY and that makes u feel important or really good in any way then please walk urself right into oncoming traffic. Point is pinball awards achieve nothing other than to let certain fuckfaces bring up how their pin whether it be Stern or JJP etc. is GOTY. And maybe when they sell said game they can throw that into the ad. Fuckfaces that they are.

Thanks for putting everything in perspective for us Lord Humongass.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Thanks for putting everything in perspective for us Lord Humongass.

"Humongass"

that's good.

Always happy to straighten out fuckfacitis on this site. I mean ur a lost cause, terminal with the disease but if I can reach just one fuckface and help him? then its all worth it. Please feel free to send money to "The fuckfacitis" fund. Money for fuckfaces. Romulick JJ's balls could I use ur likeness for my website main page? I can't help u, 2 far gone but damn it I might be able to reach some other lost souls. Good day sir.

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31: It’s very simple - we see the game that’s going on. You’re not fooling anyone besides the other zombies.

Quoted from LordHumungus:

U bunch of dorks. Its a hobby. There shouldn't even be awards. Zach does it for views on his channel and why not? all award shows are exactly that, a show to make money.

That's been the game all along since becoming a distributor and making a living off of pinball. As said before many times it's all CLEVER MARKETING THRU SOCIAL MEDIA to advance sales and make $$$$. Nothing wrong with this, but you have to see that for what it is - a $$$ making venture. Don't be a lemming who blindly listens, watch's and follows the hype train of BUY BUY BUY

#243 3 years ago

"Humongass"
    that's good.
    Always happy to straighten out fuckfacitis on this site. I mean ur a lost cause, terminal with the disease but if I can reach just one fuckface and help him? then its all worth it. Please feel free to send money to "The fuckfacitis" fund. Money for fuckfaces. Romulick JJ's balls could I use ur likeness for my website main page? I can't help u, 2 far gone but damn it I might be able to reach some other lost souls. Good day sir.

"Humongass"
    that's good.

Good day sir?Have you been secretly playing Wonka again?Man do you ever read your own post,so busy accusing other people of being fan boys when you constantly are shilling for Stern.I have officially wrote you off so talk all you want fanboy but you'll get no response from me,it's a waste of time!

#244 3 years ago

U bunch of dorks. Its a hobby. There shouldn't even be awards. Zach does it for views on his channel and why not? all award shows are exactly that, a show to make money. GnR is a better game than than this and I prefer that, who gives a shit. At least the grammies (which stink) and the Oscars (also lots of stink) when u win an award it will help u in ur career and make u feel really important, for a while anyway. Furthermore if ur game wins GOTY and that makes u feel important or really good in any way then please walk urself right into oncoming traffic. Point is pinball awards achieve nothing other than to let certain fuckfaces bring up how their pin whether it be Stern or JJP etc. is GOTY. And maybe when they sell said game they can throw that into the ad. Fuckfaces that they are.

Appreciate the feedback and perspective, albeit misguided. You’re assuming I made all the decisions, however I’m merely one vote among the committee to conduct these awards. In addition, if I wanted the clicks I would have pushed for the Crystals to be on the SDTM YouTube page and not the TPN channel. That would have likely doubled or tripled the views. And if I was trying to make some cold hard cash on this show then I wouldn’t have bought all of those beautiful trophies and production equipment and editing assets and voiceover work and the countless hours away from distribution to put it all together. So that theory doesn’t work.

Maybe, just maybe, my weird ass actually likes pinball and creating content with my friends. (cue gasp)

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

my weird ass actually likes pinball

Wait..... People like pinball? Sometimes it's hard to tell on Pinside, LOL.

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Maybe, just maybe, my weird ass actually likes pinball and creating content with my friends. (cue gasp)

This should be your response to every criticism about the show - I 100% support this.

#247 3 years ago

GREAT THREAD FOR TROLL HUNTIN’...KEEP IT UP

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Well absolutely zero surprise here that JJP a very small company with only one offering takes most all the meaningful awards (

Hey Thunderbird, I'm a fellow TMNT owner and I've had AIQ in my possession for a few months now and I'm really struggling with some of your statements. I was one of the 40 people that voted on the game awards and we were told to be as objective as possible when deciding these votes. That was NOT easy. I was constantly asking myself is this "my" favorite or have I removed my personal preferences from my vote. This turned out to be quite a battle in my head.

Out of 14 awards Stern took home 5, JJP 6, Spooky 2, and Multimorphic 1. I absolutely respect Stern for what they have done for this hobby but I feel 5/14 is far from being shunned.

-Best Art BG/Cab - TMNT - This was super easy for me to vote for with AIQ being my #2
    -Best Art Playfield - TMNT - Once again that was my votes with AIQ being my #2
    -Best Playfield Layout - AIQ - This was also my vote. Anyone that has shot AIQ knows Keith is brilliant. TMNT shoots great as well.
    -Best Rules - AIQ - Also my vote. The rules are unbelievably complex but they are incredibly well balanced and a ton of fun.
    -Best Accessory - ST - The UV light kit is incredible. I wish it would have been stock but there isn't an accessory that adds more to a game last year than that.

These 5 categories were a lock in my book and it looks like the rest of the voting group agreed.

-Best Toys - Heist - The crane on this game is unbelievable. I think you could argue the Portal Lock/Avengers Tower are great but personally I don't think they are better that the interaction the crane in Heist has. TMNT is really neat but once again personally I find the crane offers more. (tough vote I would say)

-Best Sound Effects - R&M - I'm sorry but neither TMNT nor AIQ are in the running here. I'm not saying they are bad but R&M is in a different league with all the different dimension sounds.
    -Best Call Outs - R&M - I would agree that TMNT has great call outs and if they used original actors maybe they would have won, but R&M did use the actual actor and recorded a ton of custom call outs for this game. AIQ is not in the running.

-Best Lighting Effects - TMNT and AIQ have good lights, but R&M and G&R are on an entirely different level. Until Stern moves all their lights to fully RGB I think it would be very hard to vote for them in this category.
    -Best Theme Integration - This one I would actually consider TMNT in the running. Personally I voted G&R because you actually feel like you are at the concert when playing that game. Personally I think this is one of AIQ weaknesses.
    -Best Innovation - G&R won this for their new switches and hotrails. I'm sorry but TMNT uses mechs that have been used before. AIQ does have the raising portal lock which is neat but the "switchless" switches in G&R are much more innovative. Personally I would have Heist being in 2nd place before AIQ or TMNT.
    -Best Music - This is between G&R and R&M. This vote I struggled with A TON. Personally I like R&M music more but how do you ignore G&R's music being loved by millions of people all over the world. I ended up voting R&M with the deciding factor being that the music was written specifically for the game. I did not consider TMNT or AIQ in the running here. I do like TMNT's music but it isn't on the same level as those other two games.
    -Best Animations - This was another vote I struggled with. Personally I was between G&R and R&M. G&R has all the concert assets and graphics they use during their live show as well as some amazing 3D renderings JJP created. R&M is an animated show loved by millions of people and it is full of clips from the show. I went back and forth on this a ton but ended up voting G&R because a ton of the animations were made specifically for the game. I like TMNT's animations but they aren't at the same level as the other two. AIQ could use some help with their animations.

-Best in Show - G&R - THIS WAS NOT EASY TO VOTE ON. I know I can't vote what is my personal favorite game or what would be a keeper in my collection because that is not how we are supposed to judge (that would have been TMNT). I was between G&R, AIQ, and R&M. R&M is fun but brutal. Amazing music and immersion. AIQ has amazing shots and rules with countless ways to play it. It is a competition players dream. G&R is playing a concert in a box. The rules are great. The music and immersion is insane. I ended up voting for G&R because I personally think it will do more for the pinball hobby in the long run than AIQ will. This pin is being loved by high end players as well as their friends/family that just dabble in pinball. If AIQ had better sound/animations then maybe but with the rules it currently has it will never be as accessible to the "beginner" crowd like G&R is. I ended up picking what I thought was the more well rounded pin. I'd consider TMNT a more complete package compared to AIQ but besides Art I think G&R does almost everything else better.

Well if you made it this far please consider that 40 people tried their hardest to make this as objective and fair as possible. There was no hidden agenda here. It was just a group of people (that happen to be pinball media) that all took this very seriously trying to give every single one of the 8 games a chance in every category. I know I personally voted differently in a few of the categories for the Twippy's because that was me voting for what is my favorite and not what I feel is the best in each specific category.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

.... and the countless hours away from distribution to put it all ...

Ok let's reign it in a bit

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

Hey Thunderbird, I'm a fellow TMNT owner and I've had AIQ in my possession for a few months now and I'm really struggling with some of your statements. I was one of the 40 people that voted on the game awards and we were told to be as objective as possible when deciding these votes. That was NOT easy. I was constantly asking myself is this "my" favorite or I have removed my personal preferences from my vote. This turned out to be quite a battle in my head.
    Out of 14 awards Stern took home 5, JJP 6, Spooky 2, and Multimorphic 1. I absolutely respect Stern for what they have done for this hobby but I feel 5/14 is far from being shunned.
    -Best Art BG/Cab - TMNT - This was super easy for me to vote for with AIQ being my #2
    -Best Art Playfield - TMNT - Once again that was my votes with AIQ being my #2
    -Best Playfield Layout - AIQ - This was also my vote. Anyone that has shot AIQ knows Keith is brilliant.
    -Best Rules - AIQ - Also my vote. The rules are unbelievably complex but they are incredibly well balanced and a ton of fun.
    -Best Accessory - ST - The UV light kit is incredible. I wish it would have been stock but there isn't an accessory that adds more to a game last year than that.
    These 5 categories were a lock in my book and it looks like the rest of the group agreed.
    -Best Toys - Heist - The crane on this game is unbelievable. I think you could argue the Portal Lock/Avengers Tower are great but personally I don't think they are better that the interaction the crane in Heist has. TMNT is really neat but once again personally I find the crane offers more. (tough vote I would say)
    -Best Sound Effects - R&M - I'm sorry but neither TMNT nor AIQ are in the running here. I'm not saying they are bad but R&M is in a different league with all the different dimension sounds.
    -Best Call Outs - R&M - I would agree that TMNT has great call outs and if they used original actors maybe they would have won, but R&M did use the actual actor and recorded a ton of custom call outs for this game. AIQ is not in the running.
    -Best Lighting Effects - TMNT and AIQ have good lights, but R&M and G&R are on an entirely different level. Until Stern moves all their lights to fully RGB I think it would be very hard to vote for them in this category.
    -Best Theme Integration - This one I would actually consider TMNT in the running. Personally I voted G&R because you actually feel like you are at the concert when playing that game. Personally I think this is one of AIQ weaknesses.
    -Best Innovation - G&R won this for their new switches and hotrails. I'm sorry but TMNT uses mechs that have been used before. AIQ does have the raising portal lock which is neat but the "switchless" switches in G&R are much more innovative. Personally I would have Heist being in 2nd place before AIQ or TMNT.
    -Best Music - This is between G&R and R&M. This vote I struggled with A TON. Personally I like R&M music more but how do you ignore G&R's music being loved by millions of people all over the world. I actually don't remember which one I picked because I went back and forth so many times. I did not consider TMNT or AIQ in the running here. I do like TMNT's music but it isn't on the same level as those other two games.
    -Best Animations - This was another vote I struggles with. Personally I was between G&R and R&M. G&R has all the concert assets and graphics they use during their live show as well as some amazing 3D renderings JJP created. R&M is an animated show loved by millions of people and it is full of clips from the show. Once again I don't remember which one I voted because I was so back and forth. I like TMNT's animations but they aren't at the same level as the other two. AIQ could use some help with their animations.
    -Best in Show - G&R - THIS WAS NOT EASY TO VOTE ON. I know I can't vote what is my personal favorite game or what would be a keeper in my collection because that is not how we are supposed to judge (that would have been TMNT). I was between G&R, AIQ, and R&M. R&M is fun but brutal. Amazing music and immersion. AIQ has amazing shots and rules with countless ways to play it. It is a competition players dream. G&R is playing a concert in a box. The rules are great. The music and immersion is insane. I ended up voting for G&R because I personally think it will do more for the pinball hobby in the long run than AIQ will. This pin is being loved by high end players as well as their friends/family that just dabble in pinball. If AIQ had better sound/animations then maybe but with the rules it currently has it will never be accessible to the "beginner" crowd like G&R is. I ended up picking what I thought was the more well rounded pin. I'd consider TMNT a more complete package compared to AIQ but besides Art I think G&R does almost everything else better.
    Well if you made it this far please consider that 40 people tried their hardest to make this as objective and fair as possible. There was no hidden agenda here. It was just a group of people (that happen to be pinball media) that all took this very seriously trying to give every single one of the 8 games a chance in every category. I know I voted different in a few of the categories for the Twippy's because that was me voting for what is my favorite and not what I feel is the best in each specific category.

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a well reasoned response.
    I actually agreed with most every category winner.There’s people who just don’t want to give other manufacturers any kind of recognition.Oh I still call it Deer Creek!

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-industry-awards/page/5?hl=hollywoodbone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.