(Topic ID: 284342)

The 2022 Pinball Awards: Saturday LIVE - WIN Toppers, Playfields, Backglasses...

By ZMeny

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RandomTask
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a4 (resized).jpg
    a2 (resized).jpg
    a3 (resized).jpg
    a1 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    323358275_623994039530977_8807190044312159772_n (resized).jpg
    The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png
    2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif
    PIA HOF Words (resized).jpg
    There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 3 years ago

Great show! Found some new stuff that I somehow didn’t know about. New podcasts to listen to and YouTube channels to watch. Thanks for putting this together. It’s a ton of work just for the love of pinball. Cheers! What The Vuk Podcast PIA winner 2021. I can feel it!

#152 3 years ago

Good show.
    You did great.

A somewhat overlooked innovation is the new jjp ball sensing system. There´s a lot of future applications for that.

#153 3 years ago

I will always put more stock in an award won by popular vote, but I like Zach and Greg and the show was very slick.

#154 3 years ago

Imagine if your local car dealership started an awards show. "And now the award for the best new car we have on the lot."

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dogford_Studios:

Imagine if your local car dealership started an awards show. "And now the award for the best new car we have on the lot."

You must sell cars.

#156 3 years ago

Twenty years in the publishing market seeing the wall between editorial and sales.

There are just too many conflicts of interest. There is no independent editorial review - car industry has independent magazines like Car and Driver. Even model railroading has Model Railroader Magazine and the National Model Railroad Association. Ad sales and editorial parts of the publications kept separate.

At some publications sales guys aren't even allowed on the editorial floor.

#157 3 years ago

Twenty years in the publishing market seeing the wall between editorial and sales.
    There are just too many conflicts of interest. There is no independent editorial review - car industry has independent magazines like Car and Driver. Even model railroading has Model Railroader Magazine and the National Model Railroad Association. Ad sales and editorial parts of the publications kept separate.

I think you are misinformed about how winners were selected...

#158 3 years ago

Where’s the list of all the people that voted as “media”?

#159 3 years ago

Jack Danger got snubbed

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Where’s the list of all the people that voted as “media”?

Will be on the website shortly. I believe one of our committee members just posted the lists on social media as well. Our goal is always full transparency which we feel awards need to gain full support

Thepinballindustryawards.com

#161 3 years ago

The production value was really well done. I was puzzled by some of the choices for nominees and winners but I guess that's subjective.

Ended up watching it twice. First the "alternative feed" and later the actual show.

Congrats on the first show. Best of luck in the future.

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Jack Danger got snubbed

Why?

#163 3 years ago

I think it as all in fun... some of you people need to relax about shit and life in general.

Maybe broaden the categories a bit so its not the same 2 or 3 machines in every category somehow?

More talk about everones outfits like a real awards show?

#164 3 years ago

I like Karl at IE and he does a good job, but Jack has thousands of videos where IE has hundreds...

Jack has 8k subscribers on youtube and IE has 2k

I liked the show, and I disagreed with some of the picks...

#165 3 years ago

Because he's by far the best/most entertaining streamer

edit: To be clear, I still enjoyed the awards show

#166 3 years ago

I do like the British accent announcer girl, it sounded especially good when she said “Guns & F’in Roses”

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:Because he's by far the best/most entertaining streamer
    edit: To be clear, I still enjoyed the awards show

When you say “snub,” you’re implying that there’s some sort of purposeful neglect.

I don’t see it.

His form of entertainment is purely subjective. Frankly, I don’t enjoy watching pinball streams. If I have any time to give to pinball, I’d rather play. And the few times I’ve seen Jack... my reaction is: “this guy needs to go home to be with his wife and kids.”

I say that loosely, of course. But, I guess I don’t get the appeal.

On a rare occasion, I’ve watched bits of an old IE pinball at the suggest of friend. I appreciate his style. His skill level is the entertainment.

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jecco74:

I like Karl at IE and he does a good job, but Jack has thousands of videos where IE has hundreds...

Are they voting Quantity or Quality? If that was the case wouldn't Stern unanimously win Every category?

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jecco74:

Even if Karl only did pinclash this year, I would have voted him best streamer.

Jack is right behind him though. Those zoom battles he set up were very impressive.

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jecco74:

Sounds like a popularity contest.

Jack is a great streamer. I have no doubt in mind he will win a Twipy.

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Even if Karl only did pinclash this year, I would have voted him best streamer.
    Jack is right behind him though. Those zoom battles he set up were very impressive.

Completely agree. While in general I don't love watching play streams over reveals watching Karl play and his information sharing style is rather impressive. No clue how many hours per day he practices but Wow this guy has it down. The way he explains the rules just makes sense for me.

#172 3 years ago

Post removed

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I enjoyed the show guys, thanks for all the work!
    Here's a direct link to the show:
    Putting up a sticky for the weekend, so no one misses this

Thank you Robin! Greatly appreciated!

#174 3 years ago
    1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg1a (resized).jpg1a (resized).jpg1c (resized).jpg1c (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg7 (2) (resized).jpg7 (2) (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg9b (resized).jpg9b (resized).jpg
    #175 3 years ago

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg
    #176 3 years ago

I’m a member of the pinball media.
    I was asked to be a voting member.
    I host a podcast.
    Not a good one, but it’s free.
    I don’t do any advertising, save Facebook page.
    I don’t have any sponsors. I don’t have a patreon account.
    I spend my own money and time doing this.
    Like many others.

To constantly attack Zach and others is counter productive.
    Zach sells games. He also gives us all amazing content. As do many others.
    So to all the critics, put up or shut up.
    Grab a mic, do a podcast, grab a camera, do a stream.
    Grab a pen, write an article or review.

Or grab your ass cheeks and pull your head out of your ass! It’s pinball people.

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

When you say “snub,” you’re implying that there’s some sort of purposeful neglect.
    I don’t see it.
    His form of entertainment is purely subjective. Frankly, I don’t enjoy watching pinball streams. If I have any time to give to pinball, I’d rather play. And the few times I’ve seen Jack... my reaction is: “this guy needs to go home to be with his wife and kids.”
    I say that loosely, of course. But, I guess I don’t get the appeal.
    On a rare occasion, I’ve watched bits of an old IE pinball at the suggest of friend. I appreciate his style. His skill level is the entertainment.

Well there is the Zach vs Jack beef, so I mean if you want to make a conspiracy out of it, it wouldn't be hard to do. I'm not suggesting that this is the case...but it does make you wonder.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Well there is the Zach vs Jack beef, so I mean if you want to make a conspiracy out of it, it wouldn't be hard to do. I'm not suggesting that this is the case...but it does make you wonder.

Doesn't make me wonder. It's just an awards show. No need to make a huge deal out of it. I think it is a good idea to have a critics awards show to go along with the popular vote awards show. Just like the Oscars, sometimes the more popular winner is not the critics choice.

#179 3 years ago

Any Marisa Tomei moment?

#180 3 years ago

One suggestion is the Hall of Fame go by era of pinball (EM, SS, DMD, LCD) rather than decade. Like you said in the show, not a whole lot of awesome happening in the 2000’s.

#181 3 years ago

When they opened envelope for best pinball podcast and it went to Loserkid I was thinking oh shit Kenadas freaking out!And then I realized this wasn’t the Twippys.
    Anyway great show GnR’s ruled!

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Doesn't make me wonder. It's just an awards show. No need to make a huge deal out of it. I think it is a good idea to have a critics awards show to go along with the popular vote awards show. Just like the Oscars, sometimes the more popular winner is not the critics choice.

I agree. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm making a huge deal out of it, just expressing my opinion on that particular pick.

Quoted from romulusx:

When they opened envelope for best pinball podcast and it went to Loserkid I was thinking oh shit Kenadas freaking out!And then I realized this wasn’t the Twippys.
    Anyway great show GnR’s ruled!

Shoulda been in his FB live, it got wild.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Pretty sure Zach didn’t give himself an award last night?

#184 3 years ago

Car and Driver are, and have been for over 20 years, consistently lambasted by readers for being in the car companies' pockets. For the longest time it was Toyota only but now it varies a bit year to year. Poor cargument.

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Pretty sure Zach didn’t give himself an award last night?

He should have. It would have been funny asf, but Zach is a smart guy and knows that probably would have seemed fishy. Would have made for a great gag though.

Also Silverball Chronicles got snubbed. Not even a nomination. Come on guys. This is the best thing on TPN!

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

He should have. It would have been funny asf, but Zach is a smart guy and knows that probably would have seemed fishy. Would have made for a great gag though.
    Also Silverball Chronicles got snubbed. Not even a nomination. Come on guys. This is the best thing on TPN!

Watch the show you may be surprised about me giving myself an award

And while I agree Chronicles got snubbed, the minute we do that and then we get shit on for giving ourselves awards. Our attempt at celebration and promoting pinball will always result in a lose-lose situation.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Watch the show you may be surprised about me giving myself an award
    And while I agree Chronicles got snubbed, the minute we do that and then we get shit on for giving ourselves awards. Our attempt at celebration and promoting pinball will always result in a lose-lose situation.

I was watching, but I was also prepping food so maybe I missed it? Like I said, I really enjoyed the show, even though you guys made some choices that I didn't like!

#188 3 years ago

All the pinball scholars here holding a pinball award show to biblical levels. Did you guys even notice Zach’s avatar is a football player wearing a pink tutu? Lighten up, it’s pinball

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I was watching, but I was also prepping food so maybe I missed it? Like I said, I really enjoyed the show, even though you guys made some choices that I didn't like!

Thanks for watching! Yeah I made fun of myself by having an award made for me as Best Shill. I agree with ya and disagreed with some of the choices, but that’s the beauty of a panel of voters. Everyone has an equal voice. I also did not vote for the games categories considering the optics surrounding my affiliation as a dealer

#190 3 years ago

Just let the show play as I was working this morning, and I think it was pretty well done. In the future I would be cool to see winners linked in live to give more of an award show feel. I thought everything was pretty fair and balance in terms of the winners, but a few categories had some nominees overlooked.

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Thanks for watching! Yeah I made fun of myself by having an award made for me as Best Shill. I agree with ya and disagreed with some of the choices, but that’s the beauty of a panel of voters. Everyone has an equal voice. I also did not vote for the games categories considering the optics surrounding my affiliation as a dealer

You cant have an opinion because you are a dealer? thats pretty funny.

Lighten up people.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

You making fun of yourself for being the biggest shill is the best way to approach all the comments. It was pretty funny. BUY BUY BUY!

#193 3 years ago

Zach, why not give yourself an award for best singer?

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

lol ok thats a good bit and I'm sad I missed it

#195 3 years ago

Great job Zach and Greg and Dennis! I need to catch up on the show, because last night I had a hot date with a beautiful woman, so I couldn't watch the entire show live. It a value decision, LOL.

Can't wait to see the show VOD.

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Sounds like a popularity contest.
    Jack is a great streamer. I have no doubt in mind he will win a Twipy.

Karl's stream is superior for many reasons. Quality over quantity in my mind. Jack Danger used to be entertaining, but after he hosted a riot live stream on his Twitch channel, I tuned out. Plus his BLM advocacy is super divisive, and that sort of advocacy doesn't belong on a Pinball Stream, especially knowing how the topic is super divisive and political. If he wants to prosecute that agenda, that's fine, but it probably doesn't belong on a pinball stream where we are looking for good ole fun pinball content, not political topics or advocacy.

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

Karl's stream is superior for many reasons. Quality over quantity in my mind. Jack Danger used to be entertaining, but after he hosted a riot live stream on his Twitch channel, I tuned out. Plus his BLM advocacy is super divisive, and that sort of advocacy doesn't belong on a Pinball Stream, especially knowing how the topic is super divisive and political. If he wants to prosecute that agenda, that's fine, but it probably doesn't belong on a pinball stream where we are looking for good ole fun pinball content, not political topics or advocacy.

Why would you downvote this?
    He’s right I we don’t want to mix pinball with political stands!
    There’s plenty of BLM stuff everywhere.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

There’s plenty of BLM stuff everywhere.

Almost like it's catching on!

#199 3 years ago

Aka The Country Club Circle Jerk Awards

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

Aka The Country Club Circle Jerk Awards

Where? I want to participate

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-industry-awards/page/4?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.