(Topic ID: 284342)

The 2022 Pinball Awards: Saturday LIVE - WIN Toppers, Playfields, Backglasses...

By ZMeny

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RandomTask
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a4 (resized).jpg
    a2 (resized).jpg
    a3 (resized).jpg
    a1 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    the pinball awards ad giveaways (resized).png
    323358275_623994039530977_8807190044312159772_n (resized).jpg
    The Pinball Awards Logo (resized).png
    2990F161-626B-4E87-A24A-5A022E89657E.gif
    PIA HOF Words (resized).jpg

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 3 years ago

The “pinball media” is a joke in the first place

If you have a mouth and a microphone you are considered “pinball media”. Lol

Anything we can laugh at and make fun of is good with me

The Super Awesome pinball show is delivering some great interviews and real “news”

I am anxious to hear about what you had for breakfast or how your last dump went though. Seriously, some people need a self awareness pill

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Anything we can laugh at and make fun of is good with me
    The Super Awesome pinball show is delivering some great interviews and real “news”
    I am anxious to hear about what you had for breakfast or how your last dump went though. Seriously, some people need a self awareness pill

...I agree...

#53 3 years ago

Where's the poll?

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Golly, thanks so much for asking, Pal! I had a super yummy blueberry bagel with cream cheese and Moppy had eggs and bacon. What did you have for breakfast today?

#56 3 years ago

Why not... Pinball is growing. Let's see some variety from the norm. What the worse that can happen? We have more fun? Let us try and remember this is just pinball and not to take it so seriously all the time.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I too miss the old days when Pinball Colleges blanketed the countryside and we had acredited dorks out there. Fucking 2020 amiright?!!

#58 3 years ago

Just to bubble this up there, I’ve been assertively photographing pinball locally and internationally since March of 2019. I’m still shooting it today and thee are over 200 printed copies in circulation.

I’m editing a book that that I hope will be available March - and that’s just volume one.

Why? The rule of thumb is shoot what you know and I’ve been playing pinball since I was a teen.

Editorial work. No affiliations. No sponsorship. Indie photojournalism.

Instagram group:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkj76snnBO/?igshid=1wb0wkp0encgi

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/335896657587795/?ref=share

I believe the ‘zines are sold out. I have a couple on reserve, but whatever is on Etsy is it.

It’s underground, in-the-trenches, experimental and I don’t think there anything like it.

-XTN

27BF56C2-EE73-42D8-B734-EBDCDCB046F5 (resized).jpeg27BF56C2-EE73-42D8-B734-EBDCDCB046F5 (resized).jpeg
    #59 3 years ago

If only Gryszzz was here...

#60 3 years ago

Don’t need another awards show period. But do what you like but I am won’t be supporting this project Good luck

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Myles32:

Don’t need another awards show period. But do what you like but I am won’t be supporting this project Good luck

Appreciate you letting us know

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

If only Gryszzz was here...

(Gasp) maybe Gryzzz can host?! Haha now THAT would be something, wouldn’t it?

#63 3 years ago

Perhaps you can add a category for Most Cynical Pinball Fan.... That would be a tough competition from what I'm reading on here.

#64 3 years ago

I’m not going to hate. It’s all silly fun. But it is highly amusing

You should probably brand yourself more like The Academy Awards since it’s a small group picking winners. TWIP is more like the People’s Choice Awards.

Anyhow have fun giving yourself a trophy

#65 3 years ago

Anyone give any thought to having an awards show to see who the best award show is?

#66 3 years ago

This is so Hollywood.
    More award shows to stroke egos.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

This is so Hollywood.
    More award shows to stroke egos.

We are celebrating pinball and thanking those that make it possible. We encourage you to do the same this Holiday Season.

#68 3 years ago

Oh no! A bunch of pinball enthusiasts want to show some love to those that create the games... the horror!

Also, I voted. Really hard to pick the first HOF inductee from the 90s... so many seminal games to choose from. At the end it came down to AF or TZ for me, just because they were the most impactful and transformative. I'll be surprised if TZ does not edge it, but I voted for AF since personally I had the most fun with it.

#69 3 years ago

So I think this should be fun, and I'm excited to watch the awards...but I do have one big concern. Even though it's called the "Pinball Industry Awards", people who work directly in the pinball industry are actually banned from voting. Seems a little like a misnomer to call them the Industry Awards then. I think you should still be allowed to vote even if you work for a manufacturer. It's silly to assume that they couldn't be objective. Besides it's not like there's money on the line here or something, these are just for fun and to show appreciation to people who are working hard in the pinball hobby.

Think about this, the Academy Awards doesn't prohibit it's members from voting just because they worked on a film that was nominated that year. The Academy leaves it up to the individual voting members to choose which films or actors they thought were best, regardless of any actual or implicit bias.

I'm just thinking that it's a little strict to prevent people like RayDay or Ken Cromwell from voting. And if you really are gonna prevent them from voting, then you probably need to include the term "Media" somewhere in the title of the awards or something.

But hey, what do I know? Either way I'm looking forward to these awards, and I applaud the efforts behind this.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jecco74:

Why not... Pinball is growing. Let's see some variety from the norm.

I should do the LTG : ) Awards. Like the Raspberries. Funniest game. Funniest repair. Funniest post. Funniest mod. Funniest effect. The topics are endless.

It could be like my Universal Players Yearly Organized Ranking System. That website is still out there. Though hasn't been used in years.

LTG : )

#71 3 years ago

Uncle Pinball is back, and he gets to vote, Baby:

Hello,

I just thought I'd send you a note as a new critic's choice style pinball award is being done this year and looking at the criteria it appears Uncle Pinball's Podcast would qualify as a member of media that can vote on the awards.

The details on the awards and the criteria are here: http://thepinballindustryawards.com/

Just wanted to share in case you were interested in participating. Have a great day!

Look Out!
    https://unclepinball.buzzsprout.com/

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I should do the LTG : ) Awards. Like the Raspberries. Funniest game. Funniest repair. Funniest post. Funniest mod. Funniest effect. The topics are endless.
    It could be like my Universal Players Yearly Organized Ranking System. That website is still out there. Though hasn't been used in years.
    LTG : )

that would be awesome. Entries could be from "Worst Hack" thread and "Craigslist Fun" thread. Fantatastic.

Quoted from ZMeny:

Where's The PollBar?!

Let me fix it, PollBar TM.

#74 3 years ago

What’s the point of one if there isn’t another? In other words, without a second opinion from a qualified award-awarding source, then the taste and diligence of either is pointless. Having the people vote can often tainted by the fallibility of the easily convinced.

Also, podcasts and streaming? I believe that’s a side unique to certain regions of the culture. When this Covid satandemic is over, I’m gonna come looking and get some shots of y’all (I had a Moto road trip idea for the warmer months of 2020 NYC > Portland. Seriously. DM me.

#75 3 years ago

Look forward to checking it out and seeing the Zach and Bone team back on stage. Not sure I understand the complaints though. They or anyone creating Free content to highlight this very underground hobby can’t be that terrible. It’s all for fun which is what pinball was Supposed to be after all.

#76 3 years ago

I hope Karl DeAngelo gets one of these.

#77 3 years ago

Thanks Zach and Dennis for putting this together! Some people would shit on a diamond wrapped in a hundred dollar bill...

#78 3 years ago

As long as The Macho Pinball Show gets this years lifetime achievement award...

#79 3 years ago

looking forward to this as well as the twipys. Zach was highly involved with twipys so if TPN wants to create an award show the more power to them. Its healthy competition and it will probably bring the production value of both up. An award show with SDTM quality production sounds good to me. I also think its cool to have one be "peoples choice" and the other be more critic based. Sounds good to me. More pinball content for me to watch/listen to instead of actually playing my pins!

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

I also think its cool to have one be "peoples choice" and the other be more critic based. Sounds good to me.

Guessing they'll add peoples choice section next year.

#81 3 years ago

I listened to the announcement of this (along with the pinball show with Zach and Dennis bc even though it's loaded with Zach selling I still think the two produce a valuable show) and was happy to hear Dennis say this is not a direct competitor to TWIP. We all know now that's not accurate but god bless Dennis for seeing it the way it should be - a partnership to help the industry vs the competitor killer that TPN wants to be. Wish TPN would show him a little more respect though - obviously that message wasn't delivered to him. He's the main reason why I listen.

Speaking of, I know it burns Zach so much that kaneda is more popular. Zach SO much wants the respect vs being known as the shill (which was so evident when he continued to plug LZ yet was so bitter about alien..... Wonder why.... Oh it's bc he was denied as a distributor, can't sell it so of course he's negative)..... Well the way to start earning respect is to put yourself out there and speak to those who don't drink the distributor kool aid. Love the guests who are in the industry where Zach says he would say this and say that but then when an opposing views comes in, he's MIA.... Won't talk to kaneda live that's for sure.

He'll say he doesn't need that, doesn't want it but that's actually all he wants. Drives him nuts that he's not #1 but the majority know the game that is being played. Too bad bc the kid can be entertaining (latest song gag was funny and he ultimately wants to continue the building of this hobby.). When I find time, I'll continue to listen. Def not supporting this inside awards nonsense though.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Guessing they'll add peoples choice section next year.

People’s Choice =Twipy’s

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

People’s Choice =Twipy’s

Right but that isn't a TPN thing is it? I assume if it isn't they will try to add some similar element.

#84 3 years ago

I think one award show is enough.
    You have the Oscars and the next week you get another chance for a Oscar.
    That sounds silly.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

You have the Oscar's and the next week you get another chance for a Oscar.
    That sounds silly.

Ha, Oscars.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I listened to the announcement of this (along with the pinball show with Zach and Dennis bc even though it's loaded with Zach selling I still think the two produce a valuable show) and was happy to hear Dennis say this is not a direct competitor to TWIP. We all know now that's not accurate but god bless Dennis for seeing it the way it should be - a partnership to help the industry vs the competitor killer that TPN wants to be. Wish TPN would show him a little more respect though - obviously that message wasn't delivered to him. He's the main reason why I listen.
    Speaking of, I know it burns Zach so much that kaneda is more popular. Zach SO much wants the respect vs being known as the shill (which was so evident when he continued to plug LZ yet was so bitter about alien..... Wonder why.... Oh it's bc he was denied as a distributor, can't sell it so of course he's negative)..... Well the way to start earning respect is to put yourself out there and speak to those who don't drink the distributor kool aid. Love the guests who are in the industry where Zach says he would say this and say that but then when an opposing views comes in, he's MIA.... Won't talk to kaneda live that's for sure.
    He'll say he doesn't need that, doesn't want it but that's actually all he wants. Drives him nuts that he's not #1 but the majority know the game that is being played. Too bad bc the kid can be entertaining (latest song gag was funny and he ultimately wants to continue the building of this hobby.). When I find time, I'll continue to listen. Def not supporting this inside awards nonsense though.

Love ya #Delt31 really do as you Are a great guy but just never understand your personal opinion baggage on Zach or TPN?? Yes he promotes products, he's a Distributor!!! We are buyers, what is wrong with that??? Now if you or anyone said as a Distributor he didn't Do that job well fine but I have yet to see that. Every transaction for me was done so to my every expectation better then most anyone. As for what he is "thinking" or "his agenda" what do you know? Are you a Psychologist now? Oh I forgot Zach Actually is! Regardless, he isn't Kanada nor do I suspect he Cares to be but even if he did Who cares????? They each entertain us with different views for Free and all because they have a CRAZY love for this hobby. Do you hate that they love what they do? I find it Inspiring that they are doing something (both Kanada and Zach) that they Love and are 100% NOT doing it to get rich or become celebrities. There is NO such thing in pinball and never will be. Just adult dorks sharing a passion as we all do.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I think you read way to into this. Do you really think kaneda garners respect around the community that zach wants? I think thats kinda laughable. I enjoy kanedas podcast too but I dont think Zach has any jealousy or anything there at all

#88 3 years ago

so basically you need to have a podcast that’s run for two and a half months with 12 viewers, own two pinball machines from decades ago and you are the “pinball industry”? Who would want to win such an award?

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so basically you need to have a podcast that’s run for two and a half months with 12 viewers, own two pinball machines from decades ago and you are the “pinball industry”? Who would want to win such an award?

Not true... their criteria doesn't require ownership of any pinball machines.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

False claims, but appreciate the never ending comments and support Neil.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

"Pinball Hobbyist Media" actually... And there isn't a requirement to own any machines... It's on at https://www.thepinballindustryawards.com/

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

You're a ray of sunshine...

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Not true... their criteria doesn't require ownership of any pinball machines.

yikes.

Quoted from ZMeny:

False claims, but appreciate the never ending comments and support Neil.

I'll leave you to argue the perception all day Zach! I'm actually trying to help you. You need to make the awards "worthy". The other awards don't have to worry about that because they are voted by the public. but the TPN awards do otherwise they become the valueless awards.

Regards,
    Neil.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

"Pinball Hobbyist Media" actually... And there isn't a requirement to own any machines... It's on at https://www.thepinballindustryawards.com/

OK phew, it's not the industry awards, it's the TPN awards? The TiPNeys?

Good luck with your event!

Regards,
    Neil.

#95 3 years ago

Homebrewers are the future of pinball.
    No homebrew category??????
    Not for me I am 59 this year.
    This year's winners Avengers and Gnr are made by ex homebrewers.
    Get the f**k out off here.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Homebrewers are the future of pinball.
    No homebrew category??????

I can see a very good reason to exclude those as no one has really played them to form a educated opinion.

Now if there were places they could have been played then include them. AKA Shows - Events, etc..

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yikes.

I'll leave you to argue the perception all day Zach! I'm actually trying to help you. You need to make the awards "worthy". The other awards don't have to worry about that because they are voted by the public. but the TPN awards do otherwise they become the valueless awards.
    Regards,
    Neil.

I’d like some clarification and you to elaborate on what makes the other awards not have to worry about being worthy simply because they are voted on by the public, people’s family’s, work college's, friends, as Kaneda says your mail man? Or are you saying they don’t have to worry about it because they are not worthy because they are voted on by the public?

#98 3 years ago

No one ever says thank you for all you do for pinball.
    So thank you Zach.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

No one ever says thank you for all you do for pinball.
    So thank you Zach.

That's 100% true.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Right but that isn't a TPN thing is it? I assume if it isn't they will try to add some similar element.

Nope. Not in the plans at all. Hall of Fame has people’s choice, that’s it.

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-industry-awards/page/2?hl=hypercoaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.