Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MacroMegas
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 5 years ago

The opportunity for creating a national chain pinmuseum approach is certainly there. Margins are tight but it can probably work. I don’t have the ambition to go there, but somebody should. I don’t know whether Nic will succeed or not. But I admire the vision and ambition to at least try. And yes as poster above says, pinsiders are NOT the intended audience. While I am fortunate to have a very supportive pinball league, the reality is that the vast majority of our income is from those who haven’t played a machine in years if ever. That’s the audience that will be served by this . Good luck.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You sold other machines? Like....ever? What are the names of them? I'm totally serious. Never heard of you guys until Jetsons. *edit* Unless you meant selling games from other manufacturer...er..wait...you're not really a manufacturer...um....other DESIGNERS.

You know I love pinside for what it can provide. A support community to help others solve their problems.

I absolutely HATE pinside for what it often devolves into. A total pissing match. I don’t even have a horse in this race, but damn why don’t you go design a pinball machine, arrange the financing to get it produced, arrange the distribution channels, get it sold, get vendors paid, and then make crappy comments like this. But no, you have an opinion and it must be heard, informed or not.

We get it pinside members, you think this isn’t worth investing in, you think that someone is invading your territory, you want to know what said person can do to make you life better, you want to comments when you decide it’s more important to take down anyone else’s achievement.

Walk away, troll another thread. But damn just leave the poor guy alone, go invest in whatever you think is worth putting your money into.

It is so damn easy to be a naysayer, take others down. If that energy was actually invested into doing something useful we might all be better off as a forum, as a pinball industry, as a hobby, as a country.

And yeah I can be sure this starting dumpster fire will now aim it’s rhetoric at me as it is often want to do. Go right ahead. If it makes you all feel better just crap all over me too.

I can guarantee that probably the worst place to go looking for support from anyone for anything outside the box is on this forum

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

While I agree with much of the spirit of your post (people need to be nicer), this portion of your post is simply not correct. Sadly, the Pinside population base has been targeted over the years by people that simply couldn’t or wouldn’t do what they said they could do after they hit us for every penny they could liberate from our pockets (either through their own malfeasance like Skit-B or their incompetence and dishonesty like J-Pop).
    The Pinside population has been mined repeatedly by people like Andrew, Dutch Pinball, and the 30 year memorial book by Stern...etc etc etc.
    A little bit of doubt is a healthy thing and is the result of negative expierences. Anyone asking this community for money is going to be met with initial skepticism and questioned. Don’t confuse caution and asking questions for a community that lacks the ability or desire to be helpful.

There is no question many have been taken down by people who were earnest but very poor businessmen. And I agree it is on Nic to make more transparent the risk profile here. To the degree he doesn’t or it is perceived he doesn’t then he is open to criticism.

The one big difference here is that Nic didn’t go asking the forum for money. Someone found his posting and then the crapfest began.

Platforms like WeFunder do run the risk of having uninformed investors who can little afford the risk involved. I am sure given they are one of the first of their kind they are under quite a bit of scrutiny because of that (or I would hope so).

To the degree we can minimize the middleman (which is all a hedge fund is for the most part in many instances) here while protecting the investor, avoiding this nanny state is a good direction. Whether we can avoid the abuses typified by several Kickstarter failures and our own pinside hat in hand pinball companies, I fully agree remains to be seen.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Any potential investor should read the risks page on the TPC WeFunder page very carefully. Promissory notes are NOT stock, or vice versa. Rules governing such options are not protected. Investors cannot redirect company policies or management. Success can be entirely dependent on external factors in pinball such as ability to acquire examples of titles of games that in most cases have not be made for over 25-30 years. This essentially is free disposeable capital to TPC with crossed fingers to individuals, despite supposed limitations of non-secured investors, which is specifically designed to protect a parent company, not an investor themselves.
    People have a right to be skeptical when offers are asked to invest in a luxury, non essential commodity (pinball) or a company that offers this commodity as primary part of their sales model that historically has been determined to be questionable during poor economic periods. That also comes with experience. Many long time distributors had to further diversify their equipment sales significantly for this exact reason to survive in the past for the same above reasons.
    I don't have any issues with TPC or their sales, I only dislike investment pitches that make it sound like it a dream come true when the reality of the numbers of pinball game distributors dwindle to a handful during fluctuations of economy. Most resalers have not even been around since the last game sales depression.

All points spot on. No control, high risk, they give up a little equity but not much. It’s a fine line to tow running a business that you have to promote and at the same time appropriately representing all possible risks. In my mind one would only do this with highly disposable income, if you believed in the vision and the leader, not if you thought you would make a boatload of money here. Personally if given the option I’d just go with the loan from the bank. Less hassle, as long as the debt load isn’t massive you control all levers. If this is going to be some massive $100M company then why give up the equity if you don’t have to.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I was fine with your response. It's the arse-headgear quoting me like I was the one trolling, when the people above me did a far better job of fitting that description. I didn't say a damn word about the financial thing. Ridiculous.

If you didn’t intend this as some trolling comment and we’re just asking a question, then yeah my bad. Sorry, it didn’t read this way to me and given the tone of the other thread it seemed a continuation of the same bashing he was taking left and right here.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-company-wefunder-comments?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.