Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MacroMegas
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Notwithstanding the fuzzy math here, how would that investor get his $2 million if he wanted out today?

The pinball community has been burned far too many times in recent years. I am not saying this company will be among those ranks, but people need to be asking a lot more questions before “investing.”

Obviously, there is no liquidity and they ain't paying you $2mm for your stock.

I'm more curious about the fuzzy math, which I assume is in reference to the statement that the person would have received 25% of $2mm taken out by the principles. The 25% would only come into play if funds were a distribution of earnings as a dividend paid to shareholders as opposed to salary. While there can be tax advantages to paying a dividend in lieu of salary, I suspect the numbers don't work out if you you only get 75 cents on the dollar due to the need to pay the dividend to this investor. Specifically, if the principles needed $2mm over those dozen years, the company would have had to pay out $2.67mm since the other investor gets $670k (25%). If the $2mm was a distribution/dividend paid over and above salary, that raises other questions. If the principles believed in the story, you would assume they would insist the $ be reinvested in the company and not distributed. (By the way, any reasonable investor would expect the principles to get paid a fair salary.)

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCompany:

Not sure how the math is fuzzy. The business would have paid out much of the cash flows in the form of dividends either way. We also collect salaries for the work we do. Our salaries are far below where they would be if we had similar positions in other companies. I was just giving rough numbers of what this person would have received if he didn't listen to his naysayer (the wife). Or if I had listened to the naysayers 12 years ago, where would I be? We keep a very low debt to asset ratio. There is no reason to keep a lot of cash in the business. We will continue to pay out most of the cash flow to equity holders. I think the big issue is that is a WeFunder campaign do to the size of the offering and to allow small investors to get involved. Our next round will be larger and underwritten by a bank, but for now it is what it is.
    Once again, I am not interested in any Pinsiders investing unless they are supports of me and our company. If the campaign does not reach $500k, I'm off the hook and it will not make one difference to the company's growth story.

I was speculating on what the previous poster called fuzzy math.

So, if I understand your post correctly, it sounds like you took a salary, albeit below market, and then augmented with an additional $2mm in dividends. My question was based on the fact that you would have had to pay out an additional $667k for you to get that $2mm. This resulted in the second musing that small companies looking to grow would not typically draw out an additional $2.7mm. They would reinvest earnings into the company since they believe they can get a better return investing in themselves than something else. This is why, in my experience, the BDC's, VC's, etc. look for complete commitment by the principles. Basically, if the principles don't believe enough in the story as evidenced by taking as little money as possible out of the firm, why should they (the VC/BDC's)? Now all that being said, I wish you success and I will take a quick gander at the financials. Heck it might be something I'd toss a couple of dollars at as a flyer. Unfortunately, that would be terrible news for you as I have an amazing ability to pick losers and buy high/sell low.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-company-wefunder-comments?tu=oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.