(Topic ID: 229747)

The Pinball Company - Scooby-Doo! (speculation)

By Only_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_o56yb2vmlc1s2wio8o1_1280.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    bed71178-0376-11e7-835d-f161d4a3060c (resized).jpg
    downloadfile-3 (resized).png
    scoobydoo02 (resized).jpg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Nic has mentioned that they have the license and is investigating building this. I think this could be an AWESOME theme. What would you want to see put in this game?

#2 5 years ago

I would just hope the art is handled skillfully. I think it's too easy to make very monochromatic choice of color and end up with sort of a big green mess. Dominoes to a lesser extent but Jetsons for sure

#3 5 years ago

I'm sure it'll just be a straightforward game of spell out character names to start scoring modes. Maybe a Jinkies multiball, a scooby-treat frenzy mode, collect a few random lit "clues" to solve a case, etc.

I think they could do some interesting things with the license, but I think this will be a fairly simple game like the Jetsons.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think they could do some interesting things with the license, but I think this will be a fairly simple game like the Jetsons.

Right, and then we'll be told "They didn't make the game for us". "Us" being pinheads that like a deeper game beyond what the Jetsons ended up as. Then we'll be told "The Pinball Company knows their customers so we shouldn't complain". Sounds like a recipe for a waste of the Scooby Doo license if so.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Right, and then we'll be told "They didn't make the game for us". "Us" being pinheads that like a deeper game beyond what the Jetsons ended up as. Then we'll be told "The Pinball Company knows their customers so we shouldn't complain". Sounds like a recipe for a waste of the Scooby Doo license if so.

I don't think it's a waste per say. I think there is value in a simple, straightforward game. As long as it shoots well and the rules make use of all the shots, then the game will be fine.

I do think that the theme has potential for a lot of interesting mechs and a deep ruleset (make a modern Who Dunnit), but that's not what this product will aim to be.

#6 5 years ago

I want it to be cartoon Scooby Doo, not people Scooby Doo please!

and yes, it MUST have a Scooby Snack Jackpot...

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Nic has mentioned that they have the license and is investigating building this. I think this could be an AWESOME theme. What would you want to see put in this game?

Where can I invest?!?

#8 5 years ago

Tilt call out says " I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids"

#9 5 years ago

Would have to have the mystery machine for sure.

#10 5 years ago

Scooby Doo is deserving of a proper pinball machine. If they're going to do it they should commission a real pinball designer.

#11 5 years ago

I'd like to see correct spelling

#12 5 years ago

Early Scooby only please.

#13 5 years ago
    scoobydoo02 (resized).jpgscoobydoo02 (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago

I need some phantoms for sure, preferably strawberry.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Scooby Doo is deserving of a proper pinball machine. If they're going to do it they should commission a real pinball designer.

And and of course this would be #1

#15 5 years ago

I bought that for a nephew a few years ago. I'm going to take them back and sell for $100 a pop as modz

#16 5 years ago

Do it right or not at all.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Tilt call out says " I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids"

Meddling kids......and their dog.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Couldn't agree more! Go all the way back to '69 -- fantastic artwork, great callouts and all of those ghosts/monsters.

#19 5 years ago

Can someone mark this as a speculation thread please?

#20 5 years ago

It would have to be markedly better than Jetsons for me to pull the trigger.

#21 5 years ago

A Scooby Snack dispenser.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

Can someone mark this as a speculation thread please?

Done.

#23 5 years ago

Based on their track record producing machines, I'd say let's have a real company design in. Jetson's was a disaster to say the least.

#24 5 years ago

What I think happened with the Jetsons is not that it was a miss, but more of a direct hit on a target that missed the secondary (some would say primary) market. Jetsons is simply a generic pinball game applied over top a recognizable and family friendly theme. It is a “professional” grade piece of equiptment, that is, it is not a cheap plastic Crackerjack toy on stilts. It is a serious, expensive, game room device designed to make the kids of your arch enemy drool with envy and jealousy. This is a “I spent a fortune on a professional grade piece of equiptment for my children’s amusement...” statement all balled up and delivered, white gloves and all.

This was not a pinball machine conceived for the pinhead masses, or for those in the know, but more for the rich and wealthy who don't have clue one, could care less, and just told their personal assitant “Oh, and get my son a pinball machine for his birthday, I think they tried selling me one when I bought the pool table...”

I heard this was not exactly what they TPC were looking for, but it is what they got, and so it is what they sold. On their second attempt, maybe Scooby Doo will get a nicer treatment? Time will tell.

#25 5 years ago

Thanks! My hopes go up when I see this thread.

#26 5 years ago

It will be really cool if they use all the original sounds of the original monsters from the 69 cartoon, Otherwise it will be a Yawner!

#27 5 years ago

Given this companies "crowdfunding" bs... I have zero faith.
    I would even waste time on this speculation.

#28 5 years ago

I hope this theme gets made. I'm working on my own EM retheme of Scooby Doo right now. Can you guess what the spinner in the playfield is going to be?
    downloadfile-3 (resized).pngdownloadfile-3 (resized).png

bed71178-0376-11e7-835d-f161d4a3060c (resized).jpgbed71178-0376-11e7-835d-f161d4a3060c (resized).jpg
    #29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Given this companies "crowdfunding" bs... I have zero faith.
    I would even waste time on this speculation.

They did pull off the Jetsons. Granted it wasn't geared for the diehard pin players / collectors but seemed to hit the target they were shooting for. There was one at the Florida Free Play show a few weeks ago and it was constantly being played. Nic said in the investment thread that he would only make this if they could do it right. This thread is to give ideas and encourage him to make a really fun game. Done right this could be a huge hit.

#30 5 years ago

think of the $$ that could be saved by having spooky simply reskin ACNC. keep the backlot facade of the castle, replace franky with the mystery machine and the guillotine with a scooby snack dispenser. done. spooky could build them for TPC along side AC in 2019 since the parts/layout would be identical.

on second thought, perhpas that is not a good idea after all.

Quoted from benheck:

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

If they're going to do it they should commission a real pinball designer.

#31 5 years ago

The 10,000 volt ghost. An alternative take on the ol' shocker... Zoinks!

#32 5 years ago

So if you had to limit yourself to only five villains, what villains would you choose? Mine would be The Creeper (episode 21), Black Knight (1), Witch Doctor (23), Phantom Shadows (16), and Ghost Clown (10). I think they are among the most iconic.

PS: Plus they fit better on an insert then: "Ghost of Captain Cutler" or "Ghost of Elias Kingston".

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

on second thought, perhpas that is not a good idea after all.

Lol... nice. Wasn't our layout, wasn't our license, wasn't up to us what content we could or couldn't use. We did have control of the art (to an extent).

We were told from day 1 it was a simple game with simpler rules for families. When Nic got push-back from the pinball crowd, we stepped up and helped make it the best we possibly could by adding more toys & a custom interactive topper, and stayed in budget.

Still proud of the game and our association with it. I hope Scooby can be far better. Any dog that got to work with the Addams Family & Vincent Price is a rock star!!!

1 week later
    #34 5 years ago

What do you want to see in a potential Scooby Doo machine?

CASE - There need to be modes themed after different cases. Once started, all of the major shots have a CLUE insert. Some will be lit. Collect enough clues to solve the mystery. UNMASK the villain for a jackpot. I think it makes the most sense to have all of the villains in a single location like the Mystery Mansion. That would allow you to have better toys (trapdoor, secret passage, falling chandelier, etc.). The final wizard mode could be Escape the Mansion. Start the wizard mode by (at least) starting all of the cases, but have it be easier to complete if you’ve unmasked some of the villains.

CHASE - Many of my memories from Scooby Doo are The Gang, especially Shaggy and Scooby, running from the villains. I would especially like to see the classic "hallway chase" where our characters are running across a hallway through a series of doors. If it's a flowing machine, that might be a fun way to display combos. Maybe have a dead end shot also lit for combo. Ending a combo with that shot will be worth bonus points and display our characters hiding from one of our villains.

SCOOBY SNACKS - I enjoy machines that have a simple collection mechanism: fish on Fish Tales, diamonds on Congo, etc. I think the Scooby Snacks would work well for that. I would have a Scooby Snack insert on most of the main shots. Collect so many Scooby Snacks to light a timed shot for extra points...something like that. Perhaps also have a Scooby Snacks multiball.

MYSTERY MACHINE - I would probably use the Mystery Machine as the ball lock. While I prefer less balls in play, it might make sense to have the potential of a five ball mutiball, each ball representing each member of The Gang: Fred (Blue), Daphne (Purple), Velma (Orange), Shaggy (Green), and Scooby. I also like how each of the characters has a color associated with them. This should be incorporated into the inserts.

#35 5 years ago

If they do it they should base it off of scooby doo and the boo bros. Let’s face it no one really gives a crap about Fred daffney or Velma. Scooby,Scrappy, Shaggy throw in some boo bros and some of the villains from the movie and you got yourself a pretty good start.

#36 5 years ago

Wow! A cartoon from the 1960s I watched when I was a child.

I can hardly think of anything better now that I am in my 50s.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

If they do it they should base it off of scooby doo and the boo bros. Let’s face it no one really gives a crap about Fred daffney or Velma. Scooby,Scrappy, Shaggy throw in some boo bros and some of the villains from the movie and you got yourself a pretty good start.

I'm more of a fan of the original cartoon. I agree that Scooby and Shaggy are the main stars, but would love it if they could include catchphrases from the others:

Daphne - "Jeepers!"
    Fred - "Looks like we've got another mystery" or "We're on the case" or "Hold the phone" or "Let's split up gang"
    Velma - "Jinkies!" or "My glasses, I can't see without my glasses"

Quoted from o-din:

I know, I know another old theme. I'm 36, but I'd still much rather have themes like this, then have companies trying to jump on the most recent fads. I think 24 is a good example. It was my favorite show for awhile, but how has that theme aged? I'd much rather have machines based on, what I consider timeless themes.

#38 5 years ago

No matter what, no Scrappy please. Ugh.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I know, I know another old theme. I'm 36,

I get it. When I was in my 30s I had a nostalgic period. But I got over it and decided the present was good enough for me.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child..... when I became a man, the only way I found to to stay young was to let the past go."

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

No matter what, no Scrappy please. Ugh.

How daare you sir. You sound like Scooby Dumb saying that shit.
    Pu pu puppy power bitch

#41 5 years ago

I suppose this could lead us to finally getting that Johnny Quest pinball machine.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

How daare you sir. You sound like Scooby Dumb saying that shit.
    Pu pu puppy power bitch

I clearly didn't eat enough lead laden paint chips as a child to make Scrappy Doo, or Scooby Dumb for that matter, entertaining. I thought they were just the annoying result of the Scooby Doo cartoon having a Cousin Oliver moment.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I thought they were just the annoying result of the Scooby Doo cartoon having a Cousin Oliver moment.

Back in the 60s we called that having a Gazoo moment.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #44 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Oh o-din, remember...?Oh o-din, remember...?

#45 5 years ago

At least they got that one out before he died.

#46 5 years ago

Few more ideas...

FIREPLACE (SECRET PASSAGE) - Assuming it's a Mystery Mansion, perhaps play homage to the bookcase shot in Addams Family with a fireplace secret passage. I think this could be used to start modes or lock a ball behind the fireplace wall. Basically the classic horror trope, where a member of The Gang vanishes behind a secret passage in a wall. You then have to shoot certain shots open the secret passage to free that trapped member. Doing so would start a two ball multiball.

PORTRAIT - Above the fireplace there should be a small, vertical LED screen framed to look like a portrait painting of the mansion's owner. Most of the time just have the eyes slowly moving (perhaps following the ball), but it could be also use to display information such as the number of times a shot has been hit. Also, when in a MYSTERY mode the screen could change to display a portrait of the current villain. Obviously, as the only other person in the game, the mansion owner is going to end up being the main villain.

#47 5 years ago

+1 on the -1 on Scrappy-do. It think I have actually ripped the knob off our TV once when I was young because I was lurching to turn the channel before he even spoke one word on screen. I didn’t mind a semi anthropomorphic great dane, but a full on nasal voiced anthropomorphic puppy with a Napoleon Complex was where I drew the line.

#48 5 years ago

There was a recent video on Youtube regarding how Scrappy both saved and ruined Scooby Doo. Basically he started out super popular, but then became one of the most hated characters on TV.

1 year later
    #49 3 years ago

Hopefully there will be original character call outs along with modes. Not just collecting letters for names like in Jetsons. Also a Mystery Machine vuk that gives out mystery awards. How cool would that be with a mini mystery machine van behind it.

#50 3 years ago

Just saw trailer for new kids movie called scoob. Origins of scooby doo.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-company-scooby-doo?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.