3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150906_140506.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20130922_144233_zpscc6f805e.jpg
    kids2.jpg

#1 3 years ago

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a parent. This is going to need some revising. Just something I whipped up after years of observations).

Thou shall have clean hands before playing pinball
    Thou shall not wipe thine hands/eyes/mouth/nose/ass crack before or during playing
    Thou shall not cymbal monkey(rapidly tap) the flipper buttons
    Thou shall finish the game that is thus started
    Thou shall hit the start button for the correct number of players playing, no more, no less
    Thou shall not pull the plunger out like it’s the sword of Exclaibur
    Thou shall not stand in front of a pin unless they are playing it
    Thou shall not stand near the outlanes with your head hovering over the playfield while someone else is playing
    Thou shall not place thine beverage or food on the playfield glass.

#2 3 years ago

Easily applicable to adults as well

#3 3 years ago

The first one should be

Thou shall have fun.

#4 3 years ago

I am a parent and I don't worry about any except for the last one. I want them to want to play and not think it's something they have to be careful around.

But that's my call in my house, I do get what you are saying....

#5 3 years ago

Thou shalt not hang like a gymnast from the plunger.

#6 3 years ago

As a parent I find myself saying "please keep your face off the glass" more than I thought I would.

#7 3 years ago

Rules were made to be broken...

#8 3 years ago

obviously not a parent
    'don't run close to the machine' eyes and plungers , not a good mix

but the only real rule is 'have fun'

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

The first one should be

Thou shall have fun.

The only rule should be, Thou shall have fun.

#10 3 years ago

We had a party one time and I actually caught a kid on top of my Tron LE. I politely told him not to do that, but I really wanted to beat him and his parents. So no treating a machine like a playground jungle gym. He was also an expert cymbal monkey player.

#11 3 years ago

What about keeping paws out of the insides....

#12 3 years ago

You could probably achieve everything except for the no "chimp flipping". That one is mission impossible.

#13 3 years ago

I kinda fixed the 'chimp flipping' using the older Gottliebs, they had metal flipper buttons. Years ago I attached wires from the transformer to each button, and if you hit both at the same time, you got shocked. Then everyone learned to use just one, and I removed them. More of a fun gag for the night, but everyone kept playing to my surprise, and we still laugh about it at parties.

#14 3 years ago

Thou shalt have fun
    Thou shalt make thy father feel young again
    Thou shalt give thy father an excuse to buy more pinball machines
    Thou shalt make thy mother say, "Don't all the kids look sweet having fun down in your game room"
    Thou shalt invite thy friends around
    Thou shalt play in groups so that more than one pinball machine is playing at the same time
    Thou shalt squeal with delight
    Thou shalt say thy father is an awesome player

#15 3 years ago

^^^^^^ What TimeBandit says ^^^^^^^!

Why are so many people uptight about kids playing their games?
    These are commercial machines. They are designed to be hammered on.
    My nieces and nephews, my son's and daughter's friends love coming over to our house to play the machines.
    Nothing makes me or my wife happier than watching them play pinball!
    kids2.jpg

I agree that they need to be instructed on the basic rules of play and proper treatment of the machines, but from personal experience, I have never had a problem.

Enjoy! E

#16 3 years ago

Let them play. They will never learn to stop banging the flippers if you don't teach them. Hell, I see adults doing that. Teach them and remind them of the rules, but let them have fun. Some guys take their "games" way too seriously.

20130922_144233_zpscc6f805e.jpg

#17 3 years ago

Thou shall NOT LICK THE GLASS!!!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Thou shall have clean hands before playing pinball
    Thou shall not wipe thine hands/eyes/mouth/nose/ass crack before or during playing

If some kid can wipe his/her ass while playing I'd be pretty impressed

I fully agree though... although that may be somewhat hypocritical because I would lean over into other players (back 8 years ago), I still agree. For the most part. I still like to see the new generation, but yeah.

#19 3 years ago

image.jpg

#20 3 years ago

image_1.jpg

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a parent.

That's your problem, right there. Kids are a real trip. Their messed up little people that do crazy things. It's good to give them guidelines but they're likely to do something you've never thought of before....and when that happens, you'll laugh or be disturbed. Sometimes both at once.

These machines are designed to stand up to drunk adults in bar settings. (Who often do weirder things than most kids)

My only rule is play safe.

#22 3 years ago

Yep-

I do tell new kids that its like baseball and you have to time your "swing"... once they hear that the arrhythmic slapping of the flipper buttons usually goes way down.

The only real rule I have, e.g. break this rule and the power goes off and everyone goes up stairs.... NO THROWING STUFF (balls, toys, etc)-

Who cares how many players they load up- 4 player game with 2 people, great... more balls for everyone. Who cares if the shut the game off after 2 balls (happens ALL the time, oh... so thats what that switch does... wonder what would happen if I throw it while my buddy is playing, how about when dad is playing....). I actually buy games with my kids in mind, at least I don't buy games I know they would not play (games given to me are accepted regardless).

#23 3 years ago

I like the "thou shall" better than "thou shall not". Timebandit has the right idea. Let 'em have fun and yell at the machines.

One of the big reasons I got into pinball is that it's something everyone can enjoy. I love it when friends of my kids play because that is probably the only time they have seen a pinball machine. Adults get excited because they have not seen one in decades. Little kids go nuts with all the lights, sound, and mechanical action. Smudges are easy to clean and the machines were built for abuse.

#24 3 years ago

"cymbal monkey"

and Sealclubbers "gymnast"

made the Pepsi come out my nose.

#25 3 years ago

Thou shall not drool on the pin!

20150906_140506.jpg

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Thou shall not drool on the pin!

I dunno. That LED lightshow in your MM looks droolworthy to me!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I dunno. That LED lightshow in your MM looks droolworthy to me!

lol! I was playing nascar with her sitting on it watching the ball the other day. She started to melt down and went for a nap. I came back to a massive pile of drool on the bottom of the glass I never noticed, ha

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

lol! I was playing Nascar with her sitting on it watching the ball the other day. She started to melt down and went for a nap. I came back to a massive pile of drool on the bottom of the glass I never noticed, ha

Yeah. They do that at that age. (Drool)

That picture is priceless, though!

E

#29 3 years ago

I think that the OP was partially talking about routed games. I run tournaments in my local arcade (Another Castle in Edmonds, WA if you guys want to come!) and it can be pretty annoying if your little 5 year old opponent is leaning over the outlanes trying to see what you are doing and blocking your view. Also, the player count issue happens more often with them than it does adults in my experience. To be fair, not all of the kids do this, and the ones who have have been told once to stop what they are doing and they have stopped.

That being said, man, I love seeing kids come in and play competitively. It's amazing how quickly these kids pick the games up. I really hope that this recent resurgence of pinball in my area is something that continues through younger generations. Just look at Escher Lefkoff. What a killer he is!

#30 3 years ago

Love it when we have friends over, and the kids hit the machines.....it's awesome to see their faces and reactions when things start " lighting up".......only 2 rules in my house w the pins ( goes for Adults too)......

Try to not touch the glass ( everything else fair game)
    Make sure to have fun!!!

It's all I've ever had to say, and generally the machines are fine afterwards, and the kids always tell their parents they don't want to leave.....

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Thou shall not cymbal monkey(rapidly tap) the flipper buttons

I do tell my kid something similar to this; not out of fear of damage/unnecessary wear to my machine, but rather so that she becomes a better player. She doesn't always go cymbal monkey on it, but at first was always flipping both flippers every time regardless of which flipper the ball was on. "Remember honey, one flipper at a time..."

I do totally understand though: sometimes when playing on location at an all-ages/non-bar place (e.g. bowling alley), a curious youngster gets a little too close while you go for a slap-save.. I always politely tell them to watch out so that I don't accidentally smack 'em. Though, I do try to let them watch; gotta start them early, get the next generation hooked when their young!

#32 3 years ago

Ask 20 adults a question. You get 20 different answers. 20 kids in a room, 20 different behaviors. Many times in life, what appears to be "undisciplined" behavior is just normal kid behavior.

I understand if you don't like kid behavior around your games. I recommend that you don't allow kids to play your games. Playing pinball with my kids is one of the best parts of the hobby for me.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from joe2012:

Thou shall NOT LICK THE GLASS!!!

Yeah, can not believe my 3 year old (at the time) thought it would taste good. But on a positive note, they usually figure that one out after two or three times, apparently it tastes pretty bad...

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atreyu:

I think that the OP was partially talking about routed games. I run tournaments in my local arcade (Another Castle in Edmonds, WA if you guys want to come!) and it can be pretty annoying if your little 5 year old opponent is leaning over the outlanes trying to see what you are doing and blocking your view. Also, the player count issue happens more often with them than it does adults in my experience. To be fair, not all of the kids do this, and the ones who have have been told once to stop what they are doing and they have stopped.

I was. It was from observations at some larger private parties, but mostly on route. I wasn't trying to out-grump anyone in the childfree department. Several months ago, girlfriend's birthday party(at Blainbrook) involved us playing lotsa pinball machines, that were near redemption machines. She got pinkeye shortly after. Then memories of kids wiping various parts of them when ball 2 or 3 came up during a game. Yuck. I'm a bit of a germophobe, and definitely wash my hands after using the gas pump, and yet I still play pinball.

But yes, have fun.

But it seems like the ones roughest on the machines are not kids, but top 50 IFPA-ranked players.

#35 3 years ago

1) Though shall not heavily breathe on player's fingers while simultaneously blocking their view of the flippers and draining a waterfall of boogers onto your hands.

2) Though shalt not expel pungent, earth-melting flatulence while performing the sins of crime #1

#36 3 years ago

Kids can remember 1,2 or maybe 3 rules. Adults can remember 7 items, max. I'd consider shortening your list (a lot).

If you want to teach a kid (or adult) what to do, always frame it in the positive.

Here's my simple rule list I go over with parent and child (since they usually observe and monitor the youngest ones
    ---
    1. You must eat all your food upstairs and wash your hands before entering the game rooms
    2. You can put your drink with your name on it on the counter (and I show them in pairs where drinks go -- kids like to police each other)
    3. Be NICE to the ball plunger rods (as I show them), they will bend, and I can't un-bend them.
    ---
    Then I just go wild emphasizing what great shots they are making, and I ask them if they've made the "SECRET" shot yet -- did you ever want to get a kid's attention??? (WHAT SECRET SHOT???)

Hell, I showed a 6-year old the secret shot on nine ball, and he makes it on his FIRST flip. LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL... true story.

-mof

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Several months ago, girlfriend's birthday party(at Blainbrook) involved us playing lotsa pinball machines, that were near redemption machines. She got pinkeye shortly after. Then memories of kids wiping various parts of them when ball 2 or 3 came up during a game. Yuck. I'm a bit of a germophobe, and definitely wash my hands after using the gas pump, and yet I still play pinball.

Could have picked it up just as easy on the door handle coming into the place....I promise the handles get touched much more than the machines ever do......public places....whew!!! ( I'm not a germophobe, but think I'll go wash my hands right now, after reading this)....

#38 3 years ago

For my son: Thou shall not spit on playfield glass while talking and playing!

#39 3 years ago

this is an adult pinball household. there will be drinking, cussing, arm wrastlin, and depending on how much has been drank some titty flashin.

thou shalt leave the kids at home if you are not comfortable with them witnessing this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MONSTERFISH MODS
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside