Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Mathazar
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3898 (resized).jpg
    Recording Rig (resized).jpg
    grid mount.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7244.jpg
    IMG_7243.jpg
    IMG_7242.JPG
    IMG_7241.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7240.JPG
    20150219_191630.jpg
    image-149.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMAG1736.jpg
    IMAG1740.jpg
    IMAG1741.jpg
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago

The RaspberryPi seems to record video good enough for pinball.

I compiled a version of ffmpeg with non-free AAC libraries in order for it to connect to twitch, since twitch needs an audio feed, even if it is empty.
    It however seems CPU bound at higher bit rates. I found that 1500000 bps and 25 fps was the most the Pi could handle without skipping frames.

So, here's the result, a shot of me backhanding off of the upper flipper into the gem shot for a quorra super jackpot. no big deal.
    http://www.twitch.tv/bdols/c/5696192

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from bitCurrier:

I wanted to build the black pipe playfield rotisserie and had an inkling that I could convert it into a camera rig with all the junk I have acquired.
    overview
    This uses the Raspberry Pi with the camera module to shoot the video. I have it attached to a power-line ethernet adapter and can stream the feed to Twitch (or youtube) or attach a USB external drive to record video to disk.
    If you are familiar with the black pipe rotisserie, you know that it is pretty sturdy, and I arranged the pipes so that the only direction that each piece could move would result in the pipe threads tightening.
    Here's the thread about the rotisserie: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide

[snip]

Looks really good. I like the blue color.

I played with plumbing pipe a bit but it was a bit too heavy and expensive for me. Still, if you have it laying around it works great.

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I played with plumbing pipe a bit but it was a bit too heavy and expensive for me. Still, if you have it laying around it works great.

Yeah, in my mind, I had to justify how many playfield swaps or possible repairs that I would actually do but the possibility of using it as a camera rig when it wasn't being used as a rotisserie led me to pursue building it.

1 month later
    #104 9 years ago

Made thisimage.jpgimage.jpg

It attaches to my ceiling gridimage-149.jpgimage-149.jpg

My iPhone sits on it and can be controlled from an iPad using the Airbeam app

1 month later
    #105 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Made this
    It attaches to my ceiling grid
    My iPhone sits on it and can be controlled from an iPad using the Airbeam app

image.jpg 171 KB

image-149.jpg 168 KB

What parts did you use to make that? Are those black tiles?

We're looking to make something where we can mount a Go Pro above machines in our league and this looks like a good solution.

The stands won't work in this situation. Any other suggestions?

20150219_191630.jpg20150219_191630.jpg
    #106 9 years ago

I painted the ceiling tiles flat black to kill reflection.

I used 1" aluminum channel and 3/4" aluminum angle. I bought the material from Lowes or Home depot. My ceilings are 8' and I was able to make 4 rigs with what I bought.
    I use 1/4-20 all thread for the bolts. I could have just used bolts but I had all thread in my shop.

Here are some pics.

IMG_7239.JPGIMG_7239.JPG IMG_7240.JPGIMG_7240.JPG IMG_7241.JPGIMG_7241.JPG IMG_7242.JPGIMG_7242.JPG IMG_7243.jpgIMG_7243.jpg IMG_7244.jpgIMG_7244.jpg IMG_7245.jpgIMG_7245.jpg
    #107 9 years ago

Thank you for the photos, that's a big help.

#108 9 years ago

These "grid mount" ceiling camera mounts are $3 at your local Spy Shop.

grid mount.jpggrid mount.jpg
    #109 9 years ago

If anyone local (Smithtown Long Island) wants to practice on my machines I.M me and let's talk, I have plenty of games that you can practice on, maybe we can work something out.

1 year later
    #110 7 years ago

Just made a video with an iphone 5s.
    I think it looks pretty good. Way better than the crappy Sony Legria I used to use.

1 year later
    #111 6 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

Just made a video with an iphone 5s.
    I think it looks pretty good.

It looks surprisingly good!

5 years later
    #112 11 months ago
    Quoted from myork82:

Nice rig!
    This is how I roll. Glass off and GoPro Hero 2 suction cupped to the lock bar.

yeah this is much simpler looking. what did that run you and how has it been long term?

#113 11 months ago

This past weekend I built my own rig in less than 40 minutes using furniture grade 1" PVC I bought from Home Depot. Cost: $62. I was previously using mic stands and a rat's nest of cables.

I went from this:
    Recording Rig (resized).jpgRecording Rig (resized).jpg

To this:
    IMG_3898 (resized).jpgIMG_3898 (resized).jpg

It's just a proof-of-concept right now - a few changes to make:
    - I accidently got a Tee-Slide PVC to join the two vertical pipes together instead of a real PVC coupler. Had to use gaffer's tape so that the PVC would slide on and stay. Easy change out.
    - I'm going to strap on USB hubs and a 3-prong outlet extender to the bottom right vertical PVC.
    - I plan on getting shorter/specific length USB extensions and power extensions so that the cables terminate at that hub and outlet on the right vertical PVC. That way, I need to connect only TWO cables (USB extension to laptop and Power extension to outlet) to the rig. This will make the rig portable to each machine in my game room whereas previously I'd have to move each machine to the "recording" area of my game room. With the rig width cut to 33", it will accommodate both standard and widebody pins and still be able to fit between pins in my row.

I thought maybe I'd have to put a couple of sandbags, but it's pretty dang stable on its own....don't think I need them.

First game with the rig:

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-camera-rig-club-tips-on-building-and-shooting-pinball-videos/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.