Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by Mathazar
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3898 (resized).jpg
    Recording Rig (resized).jpg
    grid mount.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7244.jpg
    IMG_7243.jpg
    IMG_7242.JPG
    IMG_7241.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7240.JPG
    20150219_191630.jpg
    image-149.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMAG1736.jpg
    IMAG1740.jpg
    IMAG1741.jpg
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago

The video camera for my rig came in the mail today. I sent a pm to swampfire about his very cool track set up.

Does anyone have tips on the software they use and about difference files formats and uploading to youtube?

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Here's my rig, just built it yesterday. I used the C-clamp that vid recommended. I used a long bar at the bottom so I could experiment with different perspectives. So far I like recording from behind the player's head the best.

Wow, that's a rig!

Is it all 80/20?

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Wow, that's a rig!
    Is it all 80/20?

Yep, all 80/20. I love this stuff - it cuts like butter on my miter saw, and it's like an adult erector set. Wood is cheaper, but 80/20 is more fun.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

The video camera for my rig came in the mail today. I sent a pm to swampfire about his very cool track set up.
    Does anyone have tips on the software they use and about difference files formats and uploading to youtube?

For PC, Sony Vegas is very cheap and powerful at about $100. However, you absolutely must spend about three hours doing the basic tutorials. It's not a pick-up-and-go video editor at all.

#55 10 years ago

Here's my Amazon order, if you want to duplicate my rig. boo32, I use CyberLink PowerDirector 9.

8020-order.jpg8020-order.jpg

#56 10 years ago

I'd like to feed my camcorder's microphone input from my PinPAC headphone output. Has anybody figured out how to match impedances so the sound level is right?

#57 10 years ago

You could hook a "direct box" directly from the speaker to the camcorder.

If your camcorder lets you turn off "automatic gain", you could probably find a happy medium between the headphone jack and the cam.

#58 10 years ago

Swampfire - thanks for posting the list of materials. I had never heard of 80/20 - it looks very cool. I've got my order placed.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I'd like to feed my camcorder's microphone input from my PinPAC headphone output. Has anybody figured out how to match impedances so the sound level is right?

Will it mix both the direct audio and microphone? Pins without the physical sounds of flippers sound weird.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Will it mix both the direct audio and microphone? Pins without the physical sounds of flippers sound weird.

If the camcorder is stereo, then you could put direct audio in one input and miked sounds in the other.

1 month later
    #61 10 years ago

Ive got my rig up and running. One thing I have noticed is that the top of the playfield looks a little fuzzy in the live video and on the recordings. I am not using any additional light on the playfield. I am wondering if the lights at the top wall of the playfield are causing a glare that I need to counteract with some additional lighting?

#62 10 years ago

Duh - it is the reflection from the backglass.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Most consumer camcorders use powered electret external mics -- you need a Pad with a DC blocking cap design (look for one here)
    http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/line_to_mic.html

Or check Beachtek (or similar) for mic adapters.

Turning off the camera's AGC helps a lot, then fiddle with the pin's volume. Depending on your camera's audio controls you might have to fiddle a lot to balance ambient pin sounds with direct audio input.

1 week later
    #64 10 years ago

what is a good model camcorder for doing this. one that does 1080p 60fps and does not display the camera HUD on the screen and that streams HDMI

3 weeks later
    #66 10 years ago
    Quoted from magnoliarichj:

what is a good model camcorder for doing this. one that does 1080p 60fps and does not display the camera HUD on the screen and that streams HDMI

Did you ever find a good one?

Looks perfect! Let us know how it works out.

2 weeks later
    #67 10 years ago

More rig footage

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

More rig footage
    » YouTube video

Looks good! What camera is used? This playfield is tough to video without lighting. Looks like you have a light on the left? Don't see any glare, which is hard to do.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

Looks good! What camera is used? This playfield is tough to video without lighting. Looks like you have a light on the left? Don't see any glare, which is hard to do.

Its the T3i still. Its in my garage and theres a shop light hanging from the ceiling. I was thinking of checking out the panasonic hc-v110k after your panasonic recommendation. CHEAP at around 150 and the qualify and low light shooting seems great for the price. Not sure if it can do DVI out while its recording though.

Also, I think Hank needs to build a PB rig and record it with something like this.

http://www.totalrewind.org/cameras/photos/cam_gv01.jpg

1 month later
    #70 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Looks perfect! Let us know how it works out.

The damn item is stucked in customs nearly 2 months now... grrrrrrr
    Will get it anytime soon

#71 10 years ago

Latest rig footage

1 week later
    #72 10 years ago

The stand just arrived, after two damn months stuccoed in customs
    Works perfectly. Quality is crap from China but it does the job well. 30 euros is a very nice price for something like this.
    Video is uploading and I will post here when it's done.
    2014-02-27 20.49.48.jpg2014-02-27 20.49.48.jpg

1 week later
    #73 10 years ago

Rig works very well. My camera sucks though.
    Here is the vid made with it:

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

Rig works very well. My camera sucks though.
    Here is the vid made with it:

Skillz! Looking good Hassan! What kind of camera are you using?

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Skillz! Looking good Hassan! What kind of camera are you using?

It's a Sony Legria 406. It sucks for this kind of shooting. It catches the light very badly. Iphone's quality is way better that Legria's to film a pinball lol
    I got to get a nice camera

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

It's a Sony Legria 406. It sucks for this kind of shooting. It catches the light very badly. Iphone's quality is way better that Legria's to film a pinball lol
    I got to get a nice camera

Great play in your vid Loving the right orbit/spinner live catch! Im still looking for a used HC-V110 to test. From all of the reviews I've seen, it has good low light shooting which should be perfect for pin vids. I missed a few ebay auctions at around $50!!!

By the way, does anyone know what the feature is called that allows you to watch footage as its being recorded on another monitor through hdmi? I can't seem to find camera that claim to have that feature or what its called.

4 months later
    #77 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You could hook a "direct box" directly from the speaker to the camcorder.
    If your camcorder lets you turn off "automatic gain", you could probably find a happy medium between the headphone jack and the cam.

you can also tap line level right off the board in the back box before the speaker amp, that's what I do...

williams machines even have an unpopulated "line out" connector on the WPC89/DCS/95 boards

1 week later
    #78 9 years ago

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced hand held camera to use for this....I want to set up a TV to mine so others can watch current gameplay going on.

#79 9 years ago

I did end up buying a HC-V110 from ebay for $75 shipped and its a great little camera. Does fairly well in low light and its insanely small and light weight. I haven't had a chance to see if it will record video and output a picture but I doubt it. The one thing I didn't anticipate and something you might want to take into account depending on your rig is the lens. I'm not sure what the minimum focal length is on the HC-V110 but, when I have it up on my rig it can't get wide enough to include the score displays on non-dmd games. The SLR kit lens I was using was able to back out to 15mm if I remember correctly. These are so cheap you can just buy another one for your score displays though

#80 9 years ago

With the 80/20 (or any of the equivalent T-slot aluminum extrusions like Bosch or Item), you can also tap the ends and drill holes through it so as to avoid using brackets and having visible fasteners. I've never used additional brackets in anything I've built. Here is just an example. Anywhere the pieces come together there is a hidden button-head cap screw tapped into the end. Takes a little more time to build this way, but it is very strong and gives a cleaner appearance.

I may have to throw together a camera rig of my own, just to do it.

Monitor Stand Before.jpgMonitor Stand Before.jpg

#81 9 years ago

Really like the ceiling clamps and the mic stands that have room next to the machine, so that it's not hovering above and behind the player.

With all this light weight equipment, couldn't someone come up with some kind of adjustable padded clamp system to attach to the top of the backbox? Snap off and snap on quickly to another machine. Get rid of the bulky stands.

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

Really like the ceiling clamps and the mic stands that have room next to the machine, so that it's not hovering above and behind the player.
    With all this light weight equipment, couldn't someone come up with some kind of adjustable padded clamp system to attach to the top of the backbox? Snap off and snap on quickly to another machine. Get rid of the bulky stands.

A friend of mine tried this and it works well. Its a simple clamp that attaches to the front lip of the back box and has a flexible arm that comes off of the clamp. He found it on amazon I think. The only problem with this setup is the camera isn't detached from the movement of the machine. Anytime the machine is nudged it shakes the camera which isn't terrible but, can be distracting. Another problem is that the arm that comes off of the clamp isn't long enough for the camera to capture the whole playfield and scores. I definitely wouldn't advise building a monstrosity of a stand like mine though after seeing what other people in the thread have come up with.

#83 9 years ago

With all this light weight equipment, couldn't someone come up with some kind of adjustable padded clamp system to attach to the top of the backbox?

Tried this a few years ago -- making the arm longer gets everything in frame but jiggles more. Worked ok until the clamp's pads unglued and the whole rig tomahawked the glass. No damage but never used the rig again after that!

#84 9 years ago

I am using a light boom on casters (piece of camera gear I had laying around)
    works great. with my high ceilings I can get 3 games covered with 1 camera. I am trying to find a network camera that I can run directly to my PC so I can do some live streaming.

2014-08-11 20.08.44.jpg2014-08-11 20.08.44.jpg

#85 9 years ago

^^^^That is one sweet set up

1 week later
    #86 9 years ago

River City Flippers has our first night of league play tonight after our August break. I am going to attempt to livestream it from my rig at twitch.tv/rivercityflippers starting at 7 EST.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

River City Flippers has our first night of league play tonight after our August break. I am going to attempt to livestream it from my rig at twitch.tv/rivercityflippers starting at 7 EST.

Awesome! What sort of equipment is involved to livestream? I guess some big upload speeds for starters right?

#88 9 years ago

I just used the fios connection at home and it seemed to go pretty well. The FSPA has some smart guys who have figured out that you can do it with webcams and with software called xsplit. I could not get xsplit to recognize my videocam so I used a webcam. I have solved the problem and will use the videocam next time.

#89 9 years ago

I hear that https://obsproject.com/ and http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/ are worthy of checking out, as well.

#90 9 years ago

Last time I tried Open Broadcaster there wasn't a way to rotate video streams which killed that option.

#91 9 years ago

First mockup of my own rig. Knocked this together in an hour. Still needs a little tweaking, but it's pretty close already.

CameraRig_1.jpgCameraRig_1.jpg
    #92 9 years ago

neurokinetik that looks sweet, what do you think the total parts aprox. price is?

Axl

#93 9 years ago

Revision 2. Made the base sturdier and heavier, because I wanted to make the boom adjustable and extendable.

Cost in parts is probably more than $100, but I already had the stuff, so it's just my time. It is all 80/20 metric 4040 series. Vertical piece is about 6'8", base is just narrow enough to fit between the legs of a non-widebody pin. The base section that runs front-to back is about a foot shorter than the length of a pin. The boom can extend out far enough to get the camera where a (tall) players head is. The way the bottom is mounted is temporary, as I am going to change that out for some nice gusset brackets once they arrive.

IMG_1362.JPGIMG_1362.JPG

2 weeks later
    #94 9 years ago

Testing the camera with live TV output. Ready for the upcoming tournaments. We needed it to be taller, so I've got a longer vertical piece than what I'm showing here. It won't work in my house due to ceiling height, but it will work on location for the Walking Dead launch party and this weekend's tourney.

CameraTest3.jpgCameraTest3.jpg

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

Testing the camera with live TV output. Ready for the upcoming tournaments. We needed it to be taller, so I've got a longer vertical piece than what I'm showing here. It won't work in my house due to ceiling height, but it will work on location for the Walking Dead launch party and this weekend's tourney.

Wow looking great!! What camera is that and assuming its the HDMI out to the monitor, are you able to record and view at the same time? I've heard some cameras have different issues when you try to record and view at the same time. Some don't display full HD when recording. Some have icons that show up on screen when recording etc.

#96 9 years ago

Camera is a Sony HDR CX190. It is HDMI out to the monitor. The screen is 720P, but it looks fine for viewing. We did not test recording, only live viewing. On that particular screen, there are no icons that show up when used for live monitoring. However, on my TV, I get "STBY" on the screen.

Also worth noting is that in this pic, the field of view is too small to get the entire playfield and the DMD into the display. However, that turned out to be a steadyshot adjustment on the camera. It has three levels, and the more aggressive the setting, the smaller the field of view gets. I turned it down one notch and was able to easily get the DMD into the view for the tourney.

#97 9 years ago

neurokinetik's camera rig worked great during its first battle test at our Buffalo POP Tournament over the weekend. Next Friday we should be able to get some good top-down footage of The Walking Dead at our launch party tournament.

Photo Oct 04, 3 28 44 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 04, 3 28 44 PM.jpg

BzH4iqzIMAAYGZG.jpgBzH4iqzIMAAYGZG.jpg

10339728_1583441791878879_5971582322568020549_n.jpg10339728_1583441791878879_5971582322568020549_n.jpg

Photo Oct 04, 2 28 06 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 04, 2 28 06 PM.jpg

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

Camera is a Sony HDR CX190. It is HDMI out to the monitor. The screen is 720P, but it looks fine for viewing. We did not test recording, only live viewing. On that particular screen, there are no icons that show up when used for live monitoring. However, on my TV, I get "STBY" on the screen.
    Also worth noting is that in this pic, the field of view is too small to get the entire playfield and the DMD into the display. However, that turned out to be a steadyshot adjustment on the camera. It has three levels, and the more aggressive the setting, the smaller the field of view gets. I turned it down one notch and was able to easily get the DMD into the view for the tourney.

Interesting. I haven't tried my HC-V110 on a DMD game but, I think it will get wide enough to see the PF and the DMD. On Barracora you can not see the score displays but, I haven't looked for a steadshot adjustment or whatever panasonic equivalent feature either. I'll have to do some more research and see if theres a similar option. I CANT WAIT to see your TWD footage! Post in here if you get a chance.

2 months later
    #99 9 years ago

I wanted to build the black pipe playfield rotisserie and had an inkling that I could convert it into a camera rig with all the junk I have acquired.

overviewoverview

This uses the Raspberry Pi with the camera module to shoot the video. I have it attached to a power-line ethernet adapter and can stream the feed to Twitch (or youtube) or attach a USB external drive to record video to disk.
    If you are familiar with the black pipe rotisserie, you know that it is pretty sturdy, and I arranged the pipes so that the only direction that each piece could move would result in the pipe threads tightening.

Here's the thread about the rotisserie: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-quick-and-dirty-rotisserie-guide
    I opted to get 18"x3/4' instead of 12"x3/4", 48" x 3/4" instead of 36" x 3/4" for my build, which helped to get the rig tall enough that it would even tower over a topper.

IMAG1725.jpgIMAG1725.jpg
    I got a 2 foot long camera cable for the Raspberry Pi, which makes it long enough to twist around the overhead pipe when the camera mount is screwed on. The RPi case is attached to one of the rotisserie tees via a thumb screw that goes through the tee and the mounting block.

IMAG1735.jpgIMAG1735.jpg
    Here is one of the 18" pipes that has a tee to link it to another 18" pipe.

IMAG1726.jpgIMAG1726.jpg
    IMAG1729.jpgIMAG1729.jpg
    Here's the power-line ethernet adapter. The other adapter is plugged into my router.
    Below this tee is the 48" pipe and to the left (from the back) is another 18" pipe.

IMAG1733.jpgIMAG1733.jpg
    This is how the overhead pipe is kept sturdy vertically. The second 48" pipe attaches to a 18" pipe on the floor which helps keep it horizontally stable.

IMAG1734.jpgIMAG1734.jpg
    Below the overhead pipe is the 60"x1/2" pipe that keeps it from falling forward. The pipe slides into the 3/4" tee. This pipe does not jut out below the game, but a player could kick it if they put their foot under there.

IMAG1719.jpgIMAG1719.jpg
    I had a camera tripod mount that nearly fit around the 1/2" nipple pipe but the plastic broke and I had to duct tape it to test it out. The camera board is extremely light and I used bushings around the 45 degree elbow because I thought I needed to get more distance on the camera, but the viewing angle that the camera can record exceeded my initial expectations.
    I was considering using the floor flange attached to the nipple pipe as a way to mount the camera, but the tripod had plenty of easy ways to adjust the camera angle.

The downside is that the RPi doesn't have onboard audio input. I can live with this.

#100 9 years ago

It might be possible to rotate the overhead pipe such that it can film an adjacent pin but a longer pipe, longer than 72" may be necessary, and this depends if you can angle the camera to cover the playfield and score as well. When you screw all the pipes together, you'll notice some wiggle room but not enough that it feels like it's going to start falling apart on you.

So here's how the order of how I assembled it or rather disassembled in reverse because it's taken apart now to go into the rotisserie duty mode:

first 48 inch pipe w/tee, 60 inch pipe already beneath itfirst 48 inch pipe w/tee, 60 inch pipe already beneath it
    IMAG1749.jpgIMAG1749.jpg
    IMAG1747.jpgIMAG1747.jpg
    IMAG1745.jpgIMAG1745.jpg
    two 18 inch pipes on top of the 48 inch pipetwo 18 inch pipes on top of the 48 inch pipe
    which are topped off by the tee with the faucet handlewhich are topped off by the tee with the faucet handle
    60 inch x 1/2 inch pipe slides thru the 3/4 inch tee from the front, tighten the faucet handle60 inch x 1/2 inch pipe slides thru the 3/4 inch tee from the front, tighten the faucet handle
    RaspberryPi mounted on to teeRaspberryPi mounted on to tee
    slides onto the pipeslides onto the pipe

now it's just a matter of adding the camera mount and plugging in all the cables.

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-camera-rig-club-tips-on-building-and-shooting-pinball-videos/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.