Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just my impressions of the differences between the Pinball Arcade's Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball table and my real one. I think that they did a good job, but it is nothing like playing the real thing.

#2 11 years ago

Not a bad video comparing the two STTNGs.

But a few points: if you are going to complain about a pop bumper not being lit, maybe change all the burnt out bulbs on your machine. Pinball arcade is missing one light, you are missing many

Sounds must be your phone, I have the app and my sound is not scratchy like yours in the video.

The game was telling you to insert coin, so it is not on free play. Check your settings or make sure your batteries are not dead.

Your machine might also be one of the slowest playing ST:TNGs ever. Raise those back leg levelers!

Also, editing is your friend

#3 11 years ago

Does seem to play slow. My suggestions for video... Remove playfield glass, turn off ground efx lighting

#4 11 years ago

I found the Pinball Arcade version to be way to easy vs the real version. Also, one thing these apps miss on is the flashers. Obviously, its going to be hard to reproduce the flashers and bright illuminations like the Borg ship but, those are some of the things that really stand out on the real games. SS is one that the flashers add a ton to during the game, but again, the app just turns them into dim red dots. Also, I miss the shaker motor on STTNG. I'm so used to feeling the hits from the Borg, Cardassians, and asteroids that the app just feels so ehh during those modes to me.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm so used to feeling the hits from the... Kardashians, and asteroids that the app just feels so ehh during those modes to me.

#6 11 years ago

I was thinking of the shaker a bit more. I wonder if the Pinball Arcade could incorporate the vibration feature on the phones to be used in place of a shaker for pins that incorporate them? Seems like it could be feasible.

#7 11 years ago

It's the same story with TZ. They did a great job translating it to a digital table, but the feel is very different. It seems that, even The Pinball Arcade, all the digital pinball games have some magic physics to them to make them a bit easier. The ball isn't quite as well, I guess I should say.

But still, I'm grateful for all the tables we're getting. I think Farsight is doing a great job building these tables. I just wish the experience was a little less buggy with the updates and front end system. I still can't get leaderboards to work properly.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

Not a bad video comparing the two STTNGs.
But a few points: if you are going to complain about a pop bumper not being lit, maybe change all the burnt out bulbs on your machine. Pinball arcade is missing one light, you are missing many
Sounds must be your phone, I have the app and my sound is not scratchy like yours in the video.
The game was telling you to insert coin, so it is not on free play. Check your settings or make sure your batteries are not dead.
Your machine might also be one of the slowest playing ST:TNGs ever. Raise those back leg levelers!
Also, editing is your friend

My table is 6.5 degrees, what the manual suggests.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

As I said, slowest playing STTNG I have ever seen. Manual be damned!

#10 11 years ago

I wish I could download these new games on pinball arcade. I'm playing on PS3 and Vita and I'm still waiting for Twilight Zone nevermind STTNG. At least I have both of those real games to keep me busy.

#11 11 years ago

It's funny...I had a STTNG and got rid of it. It didn't do much for me. When it came out on Farside, I grabbed it. Still doesn't do it for me.

That said, there is definitely something lacking in the conversion. You can't get the real feel of a game. You get a 'reasonable representation' of the experience. Graphically they do a great job. But there is no feedback.

Granted, especially with STTNG, you never have to worry about diverter or opto issues with the pinball arcade!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

Manuals have errors. I have mine jacked up with additional 2x4's. Sittin pretty at 45 degrees. Fastest STTNG ever.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I was thinking of the shaker a bit more. I wonder if the Pinball Arcade could incorporate the vibration feature on the phones to be used in place of a shaker for pins that incorporate them? Seems like it could be feasible.

They can only put in features that are stock on a pinball table, i.e. no mods. The shaker in STTNG is not programed in to the code and is not a factory design. It was a modification, so it definitely will not be translated into pinball arcade.

http://www.iobium.com/shaker_motor_project.htm

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

I'm playing on PS3 and Vita and I'm still waiting for Twilight Zone nevermind STTNG.

Same here, and I haven't seen any of those two for sale near me recently.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Manuals have errors. I have mine jacked up with additional 2x4's. Sittin pretty at 45 degrees. Fastest STTNG ever.

did you have to put in super chargers for your flipper coils so that you can still make the ramp shots?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

They can only put in features that are stock on a pinball table, i.e. no mods. The shaker in STTNG is not programed in to the code and is not a factory design. It was a modification, so it definitely will not be translated into pinball arcade.
http://www.iobium.com/shaker_motor_project.htm

Am I the only person that things that this would shorten the life of components on the machine? At least the bulbs!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

Am I the only person that things that this would shorten the life of components on the machine? At least the bulbs!

Yes, you are. I don't think Road Shows, Jurassic Parks, Earthshakers, or any other game with a shaker has ever had any effect on the components. Each game is probably shaken more during its trip from Chicago to its destination.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, you are. I don't think Road Shows, Jurassic Parks, Earthshakers, or any other game with a shaker has ever had any effect on the components. Each game is probably shaken more during its trip from Chicago to its destination.

I dislike shakers in games, but I doubt they shorted the lives of any of the electronics.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

did you have to put in super chargers for your flipper coils so that you can still make the ramp shots?

No I just ran 120V directly to the coils.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

I have the table, a friend of mine showed me the game on his iPad and I was totally surprised how fast the ball was as well. It is definitely much faster than the game is designed to be played. However, as a personal preference, I never liked the Pinball Arcade games as the ball 'simulation' simply does not feel as good as other pinball simulations on the iPad.

#21 11 years ago

The Pinball Arcade version is very fast

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

I'm playing on PS3 and Vita and I'm still waiting for Twilight Zone nevermind STTNG.

if you think that is bad come over and join me on the Xbox. i think the last update we got was Monster bash and Gorgar.

#23 11 years ago

I'm defense I keep my tables around 6-7 degrees prefer it that way. Also good for the family and friends who aren't hardcore

#24 11 years ago

Tighe, it really does appear that the ball speed is slow on your machine. I dont question your ability to read the level, , its just that it looks so much slower than any STTNG I have ever played. Mine is set at 6.5 and I can barely keep up with it.

#25 11 years ago

well for me the pinball arcade one plays , evrey time i got a sttng ( had 3) and i have had them shopped they always break not a month down the line after about 20 plays

1 week later
#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Tighe, it really does appear that the ball speed is slow on your machine. I dont question your ability to read the level, , its just that it looks so much slower than any STTNG I have ever played. Mine is set at 6.5 and I can barely keep up with it.

Well, I will check it again, I have since gotten a mechanical inclinometer, previously I used the app on my android phone. I set the table to 6.5 degrees with the phone on the playfield. I tested the app with my on a level surface and a 90 degree surface and they read true. It is possible it is set wrong.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.xclinometer

#27 11 years ago

Your real table looks REALLY slow to me too...my buddy has one and it's FAST...I didn't watch the whole video though, I think that ship is supposed to face down not sideways according to pics I've seen..

They did an awesome job on the arcade version of it, it's not exact of course, but plays amazing on the ipad or iphone...

Also a cleaned and waxed playfield plays ALOT faster as well, could be another problem...

#28 11 years ago

i have every table farsight has released. I have BOP, TAXI, pin bot and Firepower in real life. Those tables are all faithfully re-created. I had a STTNG at my old work and I played it daily. I don't have it here to make a direct comparison, but to me. the general FEEL is the same. Now, I agree that these re-creations are easier (more consistent/predictable ball travel) but I still like them and eagerly await each release.

1 week later
#29 11 years ago

I actually don't like the pinball arcade version of TNG at all.

I find the ball is WAYYY too fast. Hitting the ball on a ramp and then having it loop around or hit a kicker, the ball doubles or triples in speed. I almost literally cannot see it. I often find the ball "bouncing" around the flippers really weird or getting grabbed and pulled down the middle. The physics seems very buggy to me in a bunch of situations.

I'm not very good at pinball but I find my actual TNG way easier to play. Not to mention I'm not restricted by a small screen on my phone. I don't like touchscreens much anyways in terms of speed and accuracy, never have and never will.

They do a good job recreating most of the machines but i find the colors(on the phone anyways) and the lights are bland. All of the stuff seems to blend together and doesn't seem very sharp. I've seen most of these machines and they are much much sharper.

Just my opinion after all and it may simply be the screen not doing well with my eyes, but TNG, i probably won't ever play a digital version again.

#30 11 years ago

The latest update to the table improves the gameplay, still not the same. The Delta Quadrant ramp is almost impossible to not get. Way too easy.

#31 11 years ago

Yeah the update ironed it out a little bit....it was crazy fast before but now seems decent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-arcade-sttng-vs-the-real-thing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.