• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

El_Doradr_(resized).jpg
Tables_(resized).png

#1 5 years ago

Not sure how many of us EM folks play The Pinball Arcade on a gaming device or mobile, but I thought I would mention that Farsight Studios has release a new purchasable table pack for $4.99 US that includes Gottlieb's El Dorado wedgehead and Bally's EM like Fireball.

My review is that it is pretty good. Definitely worth the price for just El Dorado alone.

http://www.pinballarcade.com

Here is the press release:

January 30, 2016
Fireball™ and El Dorado™ have just been released for iOS, Steam (Mac/Windows), Mac App Store, Google Play, Amazon and Ouya Some iOS users are receiving an internet connection error when downloading the tables.
We are working to get this fixed as soon as possible. Fireball™ (1972): is a highly collectable, fantasy themed pinball table that was designed by Ted Zale.
This innovative game included ball saving features such as the Flipper-Zipper and a Kickback Kicker in the Left Outlane.
The Flipper-Zipper moves the Flippers to block the center drain and the Kickback Kicker prevents balls from draining down the left Outlane.
The middle of the playfield features a Whirlwind Spinner, which sends the ball flying in random directions.
Locked ball bonuses and 2 and 3-Ball Multi-Ball put this game way ahead of its time.
Fireball™ is a lightning storm of scoring action! 3,815 units of this table were produced. El Dorado™ (1975): features a playfield that was used for multiple tables including El Dorado City of Gold™, released in 1984.
This playfield was also used for an Add-A-Ball version called Gold Strike™, an Add-A-Ball version released in Italy called Lucky Strike™, a 4-player replay version called Target Alpha™, a 4-player replay version released in France called Canada Dry™ and a 2-player replay version called Solar City™.
Designed by Ed Krynski, the game features classic electro-mechanical gameplay with four flippers, two sets of Drop Targets and 10 Rollovers that can be lit for big points! 2,875 units of this table were produced

#2 5 years ago

Yup, just came out last night!

FYI, Fireball isn't just "EM-like," it IS an EM!

#3 5 years ago

Not to be an old fuddy-duddy or "purist" but I think some of their tables look terrible.

The table graphics on the vast majority of PC and cell phone games are too cluttered for a 2D application. Here's a side by side comparison of the two El Dorado's. One is pinball Arcade and the original:
Tables_(resized).png
I personally find the ball is sometimes hard to track as it travels over an overly complicated artwork among flashing indicators. It's not a problem on a real game but is problematic in 2D. Much better to keep it simple.

There is more to a classic EM than only device placement (bumpers, flippers etc) but it's the artwork that forms a good part of the game's personality. Some of the best 2D EM tables I've played are user-created such as Future Pinball. MS Pinball arcade remains my all-time favorite despite the limited tables because they look reasonably original.

With that said, I have purchased a couple Pinball Arcade's tables (Gorgar etc) and other author's work simply because I support the projects.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Not to be an old fuddy-duddy or "purist" but I think some of their tables look terrible.
The table graphics on the vast majority of PC and cell phone games are too cluttered for a 2D application. Here's a side by side comparison of the two El Dorado's. One is pinball Arcade and the original:
Tables_(resized).png
I personally find the ball is sometimes hard to track as it travels over an overly complicated artwork among flashing indicators. It's not a problem on a real game but is problematic in 2D. Much better to keep it simple.
There is more to a classic EM than only device placement (bumpers, flippers etc) but it's the artwork that forms a good part of the game's personality. Some of the best 2D EM tables I've played are user-created such as Future Pinball. MS Pinball arcade remains my all-time favorite despite the limited tables because they look reasonably original.
With that said, I have purchased a couple Pinball Arcade's tables (Gorgar etc) and other author's work simply because I support the projects.

FYI: Your "actual" pinball is the "El Dorado - City of Gold". The original "El Dorado" actually looks very much like Pinball Arcades version.

El_Doradr_(resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Tables_(resized).png

Both El Dorado (the EM) and El Dorado City of Gold (an actual, different game) are on Pinball Arcade. Apples and oranges.

#6 5 years ago

Ooh! Two of my three EMs! My two favorite EMs, in fact!

Hopefully for me (and Collin, too) this helps popularize these amazing games!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside