(Topic ID: 13709)

Farsight's The Pinball Arcade on PS3 and PC (plus iOS & Android)

By Jeffy777

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2632D6C6-4AF3-4855-9761-6D5071FA1BD8 (resized).png
Screenshot (resized).png
4D01DE17-493F-46CA-9A9D-FC3FDA4F1A55 (resized).png
8AABEF9D-148F-44C1-A86A-7F329509ED5A.png
89567DC4-AFA2-4E85-BDE1-C4772FB3D63B.png
Screenshot_20171027-192147.png
IMG_0179.PNG
IMG_2317 (resized).PNG
IMG_2318 (resized).PNG
IMG_3900_(resized).JPG
july_hint_2016_(resized).jpg
IIlJrJG_(resized).jpg
zacc_(resized).png
JANUARYHINT_2015.jpg
dirty_hariy.jpg
Table_Hint45.png
There are 2,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 50.
#2301 6 years ago

I forever get strange things happen whenever I buy a new table after they update the app. After several weird errors and a reboot, finally got to buy Fathom. Never played one in real life, the ball has a funny dead feel when it is at the top of the playfield bouncing between bumpers.

#2302 6 years ago

Fathom was a disappointment to me as well. Some of the games they do a good job with and others feel rushed out. Falthom feels rushed to me. The art was poorly done, the drops act more like walls and the game play is pretty poor. It has the look and feel of a Visual Pinball 8 (or earlier version) game.

1 week later
#2303 6 years ago

I purchased AC/DC and Star Trek for Stern Pinball Arcade yesterday. AC/DC seems to run stable in my new win10 PC, but Star Trek has a bug that crashes at the same place each time.

It crashes at the end of Prime Directive II, and searching online took me to several threads on the Steam forums. It seems to be a known bug since February for several of the later modes when the timer runs out, it says Sternpinballarcade.exe has stopped working and crashes to the desktop. UGHHHHH.

Come on FarSight, wasn't this pin released last winter? I am not enjoying crashing to the desktop each time I am about to set a high score!!!

#2304 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I purchased AC/DC and Star Trek for Stern Pinball Arcade yesterday. AC/DC seems to run stable in my new win10 PC, but Star Trek has a bug that crashes at the same place each time.
It crashes at the end of Prime Directive II, and searching online took me to several threads on the Steam forums. It seems to be a known bug since February for several of the later modes when the timer runs out, it says Sternpinballarcade.exe has stopped working and crashes to the desktop. UGHHHHH.
Come on FarSight, wasn't this pin released last winter? I am not enjoying crashing to the desktop each time I am about to set a high score!!!

what hooks are they doing the emulation to make it fail like that?

#2305 6 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

what hooks are they doing the emulation to make it fail like that?

The app has a couple failure modes like that, poor error handling I'm assuming. Probably tied to the graphics and not the actual emulation. When I tried SPA it would immediately error and quit, turns out that even though I have a DX11 system, their app doesn't support Intel's DX11 driver - why not detect this instead of just crashing?

#2306 6 years ago

I just wish I'd realized that my PS3 tables I paid for don't migrate to my PS4 *before* I gave my PS3 away to my sister's family. Because of that they don't get any more of my money. Otherwise a pretty fun program, though flipper lag messes with me. Based on playing the virtual version I've decided a real Haunted House will be mine someday. Also wonder why some tables are in some platforms and not in others, guess they don't have the manpower to code them all for release at the same time, or ever. Zen pinball on the other hand while making no pretenses to reality based physics is still a ton of fun and their tables transferred from PS3 to PS4 without me having to fork over more cash.

#2307 6 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

The app has a couple failure modes like that, poor error handling I'm assuming. Probably tied to the graphics and not the actual emulation. When I tried SPA it would immediately error and quit, turns out that even though I have a DX11 system, their app doesn't support Intel's DX11 driver - why not detect this instead of just crashing?

they don't have to due refund as much. If you buy it and then it crashes right away or errors out like that steam makes a refund very easy.

#2308 6 years ago
Quoted from bkbirge:

I just wish I'd realized that my PS3 tables I paid for don't migrate to my PS4 *before* I gave my PS3 away to my sister's family. Because of that they don't get any more of my money. Otherwise a pretty fun program, though flipper lag messes with me. Based on playing the virtual version I've decided a real Haunted House will be mine someday. Also wonder why some tables are in some platforms and not in others, guess they don't have the manpower to code them all for release at the same time, or ever. Zen pinball on the other hand while making no pretenses to reality based physics is still a ton of fun and their tables transferred from PS3 to PS4 without me having to fork over more cash.

That's just sad. It's still play station so it seems it should transfer over.

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

they don't have to due refund as much. If you buy it and then it crashes right away or errors out like that steam makes a refund very easy.

Same issue is happening on I-PAD. It's so frustrating to have as much $$$ in this as I do and after they make an update it prevents me from using tables that I've played for months/years. Some tables crash immediately when you select them and now when you select on challenges it crashes the app. I'm giving them till the next update to make the game playable again otherwise I'm going to start the fight of getting a refund on all purchases made.

#2309 6 years ago

I ended up buying ghostbusters on Xbox one and there' some buyer's remorse. I wish they gave us access to all the settings like the older TPA with the williams games (Granted it was an upgrade).

#2310 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

I ended up buying ghostbusters on Xbox one and there' some buyer's remorse. I wish they gave us access to all the settings like the older TPA with the williams games (Granted it was an upgrade).

I bought StarTrek on the Android Stern Pinball Arcade and it doesn't allow "operator controls" either, unfortunately...

#2311 6 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

I bought StarTrek on the Android Stern Pinball Arcade and it doesn't allow "operator controls" either, unfortunately...

I think that is an DLC add on.

#2312 6 years ago

It was in the old TPA but I dont even know if its an option on Stern PA

#2313 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

It was in the old TPA but I dont even know if its an option on Stern PA

Right, in TPA, you could pay extra to get the PRO, which gave you operators controls. No option to buy them in SPA.

#2314 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Right, in TPA, you could pay extra to get the PRO, which gave you operators controls. No option to buy them in SPA.

wow they found away to make it suck more.

#2315 6 years ago

They treat console owners like garbage. The new kickstarter is a joke!! It is all downhill from here. I will spend my money on ring kits and mods for my real games.

#2316 6 years ago

Hey now. They don't treat console customers like garbage. They treat all their customers like garbage in unique, fun ways!

#2317 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Hey now. They don't treat console customers like garbage. They treat all their customers like garbage in unique, fun ways!

and the pc ver is just a port from console

#2318 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

So true... Just tried to play again on my iphone but after forcing me to watch the stupid commercial for their other games three times i quit frustrated... and that despite the fact i paid for 20plus tables....

1 week later
#2319 6 years ago

Just noticed that Stern Ghostbusters in now on Pinball Arcade for iOS. First issue - The red DMD is so dim that it is unreadable.

#2320 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Just noticed that Stern Ghostbusters in now on Pinball Arcade for iOS. First issue - The red DMD is so dim that it is unreadable.

And the mode arrow inserts don't work. Makes completing the modes near impossible, unless you know the game backwards and forwards. So ridiculous.

#2321 6 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

And the mode arrow inserts don't work. Makes completing the modes near impossible, unless you know the game backwards and forwards. So ridiculous.

I’ve always backed Farsight but i just can’t hardly back them anymore because of how slow they are to get games out and their lack of communication with their customers and not fixing problems etc. The new Ghostbusters table is pur sh*t, worst table that they have ever done IMO. If you watch their Twitch channel and you see the two immature kids that works for them, its easy to understand why their games aren’t very good anymore.

#2322 6 years ago

Why isn't this on the Stern app? Jesus. Also, I couldn't even play the trial version because it crashes. Great job?

#2323 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I’ve always backed Farsight but i just can’t hardly back them anymore because of how slow they are to get games out and their lack of communication with their customers and not fixing problems etc. The new Ghostbusters table is pur sh*t, worst table that they have ever done IMO. If you watch their Twitch channel and you see the two immature kids that works for them, its easy to understand why their games aren’t very good anymore.

I have to agree this is by far their worst release. I'm hoping it's just hiccups with the new stern implementation and they'll have it sorted. Currently ghostbusters is 100% unplayable. I should have tried playing it before buying it but I have been dying to try my hands at a ghostbusters premium. Local arcade has a pro which i haven't played yet but I guess i'll have to go play that now.

Current list of problems I encountered in my less than 5 minutes of play:
1) DMD is so dim it is unreadable
2) Flippers are seem to have lag occasionally if not all the time.
3) Flippers seem weak. I couldn't get any shots up the left ramp but I didn't play all that long.
4) Left scoop throws the ball straight down the middle with no chance of saving it. If the ball goes in there you just lost your ball.
5) Physics are way off. I tried to back hand a low bounce off the left flipper and the ball went hard right.

Honestly I might see if I can get a refund on my steam DLC until the problems are sorted out completely. Any single one of these issues is a complete deal breaker.

#2324 6 years ago

Ghostbusters is very resource intensive. Try rebooting your phone and closing background apps, etc. Tried it on my old iPad2, with old iOS so pinball arcade still works, but get an error - not enough memory to play Ghostbusters while all the other PA tables work fine.

GB is now on the Steam version too:

The Bad first-
Very resource intensive! My old gaming PC could not even handle the attract mode.

The good -
Works fine on my new win10 gaming PC with GTX1070, etc.
The inserts and DMD look OK.
The score limit on the DEMO is 820mil+ so you get to try a lot of the game.

#2325 6 years ago

Resources be damned haha. I have the 2017 model iPad pro 9.7 updated running 11.0.3.

I stupidly purchased the game thinking perhaps it was a glitch with the trial version. Crash crash crash. Other games work fine. Hope they fix it soon.

#2326 6 years ago

OK I fixed it by deleting the table and re-downloading. Yay me haha.

#2327 6 years ago

Haha oh man all the mode inserts are out. Good stuff farsight.

#2328 6 years ago

Cool. Is it smooth?? Just got in to a 6-ball multiball and could detect a little stutter with the balls on my fancy pants gaming PC.

#2329 6 years ago

Smooth for me. There's some weird physics issues where the ball speeds up and drops straight down (not from the magna slings) and Slimer moves like he ate a bunch of bath salts. But still fun. The skill shot is borked presently.

#2330 6 years ago

Seems to work OK on a regular PC running Windows 10 & Direct X 11. I totally suck at this game in the arcade so it's good to be able to play it for free at home. Maybe I will finally figure out exactly what I should be shooting for!

#2331 6 years ago

You guys are talking about Stern Pinball Arcade.

The Pinball Arcade does not have the tables or the issues you're discussing.

#2332 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Nope sorry it is definitely the regular Pinball Arcade. It is in season 7 table pack.

I'm going to try DX11 mode since someone said that worked for them but I don't have high hopes. Will report back in a minute if it's still broken.

#2333 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Nope sorry it is definitely the regular Pinball Arcade. It is in season 7 table pack.

It's in Stern Pinball Arcade. The most recent table in The Pinball Arcade Season 7 is Fathom.

Screenshot_20171027-192147.pngScreenshot_20171027-192147.png

#2334 6 years ago

Table seems like a hog in TPA even under DX9 mode, but hey, at least it finally came out.

Tried to update the app on my phone but google play is now saying my S7 can't run it? Weird.

#2335 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Oh it’s got the tables. And it’s definitely got the issues.

89567DC4-AFA2-4E85-BDE1-C4772FB3D63B.png89567DC4-AFA2-4E85-BDE1-C4772FB3D63B.png
8AABEF9D-148F-44C1-A86A-7F329509ED5A.png8AABEF9D-148F-44C1-A86A-7F329509ED5A.png

#2336 6 years ago

So DX11 fixes the DMD but everything else is still a problem.

#2337 6 years ago

They never figured out text formatting. It looks weird across different devices.

#2338 6 years ago

Pinball Arcade is dead to me - they need to stop making tables for it and create a modern ‘OS’ — the whole thing is a mess and the ‘physics’ are predetermined paths. I’ve stopped buying new releases (but otherwise own all but the last 3 or 4). I’ve reached the end. Time shock and Zen are both much better.

#2339 6 years ago

Jesus, this Ghostbusters release is awful even by FarSight standards. I'm on iPhone 7+ by the way.

- app crashed when i bought Ghostbusters. had to manually close it and reload.
- DMD is too dim, can barely read it.
- When you load the game, the DMD displays a bunch of errors. "UPDATING NODE BOARD RUNTIME. UPDATE FAILED. POWER CYCLE THE GAME" haha.
- You cannot select a skill shot! for a game where the skillshot is half the game, this makes it absurdly unplayable.
- The arrow inserts that tell you what to shoot for during modes don't work at all. are you f***ing kidding me? this makes the skillshot bug look insignificant. this is *ridiculous*.
- Slimer moves about five times faster than he does in real life. the arm is constantly yanking him side to side at warp speed.
- the left scoop sends the ball STDM most of the time. no ball saver on it either.
- the sound is BADLY distorted. lots of static and jitter in all the sound effects and callouts.
- tons of cosmetic bugs with text overlapping other text, not fitting on buttons, appearing in the wrong place, etc, but that's been the case for a long time.

seriously there is no way anyone playtested this thing for even a minute. this is disgraceful.

i only played the game for 5 minutes and couldn't wait for it to be over. it's beyond unplayable even at the slightest glance.

#2340 6 years ago

Yeah, the iOS version is unplayable for me in its current state just a mess.
As for the eject from the left scoop. Leave both flippers down and just let the ball hit them.

#2341 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

seriously there is no way anyone playtested this thing for even a minute.

Apparently they just wanted it out for Halloween. Warts and all.

#2342 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Apparently they just wanted it out for Halloween. Warts and all.

that is a DEEPLY stupid decision. did any of you buy it just because it was f***ing halloween? choosing to destroy customer good will and your own reputation on the off-chance you might somehow get a couple extra sales from people connecting Ghostbusters Pinball with Halloween is supremely moronic.

#2343 6 years ago

What gets me is that the clear ramps are NOT CLEAR!

4D01DE17-493F-46CA-9A9D-FC3FDA4F1A55 (resized).png4D01DE17-493F-46CA-9A9D-FC3FDA4F1A55 (resized).png

#2344 6 years ago

Why is this table not in the Stern Pinball Arcade? Either way, I have not bought shit from Farsight for a while because the quality just isn't there anymore. Sounds familiar.

#2345 6 years ago

I watched the twitch stream, and they claim that IOS 9 won't work, and that its ram intensive.

Not sure why that's not made more clear. If your running 9, guess you ask for your money back.

I'm on Steam and it appears to work on my PC without any problems.

#2346 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I watched the twitch stream, and they claim that IOS 9 won't work, and that its ram intensive.
Not sure why that's not made more clear.

Running it on my old iPad, it does give a ram warning and that table is not available. This is more like when Stern Pinball Arcade was released for Xmas on iOS - mostly broken until they patched it later.

#2347 6 years ago
Quoted from bkbirge:

I emailed Farsight about this when the PS4 tables were starting to come out. They claimed that they revisited every table and improved graphics and physics. They also upgraded each table with realistic lighting effects that the PS4 was now capable of (similar to the DX11 on PC).

It's a great improvement over the PS3 version. Is it worth the money? Not sure. I only bought my favorite tables. I still play mostly on IOS, but will occasionally go to the PS4 it for the better graphics.

Hopefully, I'll be able to upgrade to the actual pinball machines in the future.

#2348 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Jesus, this Ghostbusters release is awful even by FarSight standards. I'm on iPhone 7+ by the way.
- app crashed when i bought Ghostbusters. had to manually close it and reload.
- DMD is too dim, can barely read it.
- When you load the game, the DMD displays a bunch of errors. "UPDATING NODE BOARD RUNTIME. UPDATE FAILED. POWER CYCLE THE GAME" haha.
- You cannot select a skill shot! for a game where the skillshot is half the game, this makes it absurdly unplayable.
- The arrow inserts that tell you what to shoot for during modes don't work at all. are you f***ing kidding me? this makes the skillshot bug look insignificant. this is *ridiculous*.
- Slimer moves about five times faster than he does in real life. the arm is constantly yanking him side to side at warp speed.
- the left scoop sends the ball STDM most of the time. no ball saver on it either.
- the sound is BADLY distorted. lots of static and jitter in all the sound effects and callouts.
- tons of cosmetic bugs with text overlapping other text, not fitting on buttons, appearing in the wrong place, etc, but that's been the case for a long time.
seriously there is no way anyone playtested this thing for even a minute. this is disgraceful.
i only played the game for 5 minutes and couldn't wait for it to be over. it's beyond unplayable even at the slightest glance.

they really need dump there quick start sub save states and remove the emulation hooks they have as well.

#2349 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Not sure why that's not made more clear. If your running 9, guess you ask for your money back.
I'm on Steam and it appears to work on my PC without any problems.

Definitely not iOS 9. I have the 11.0.2 on an iPad Pro.

#2350 6 years ago

I’ve been told you need to be running iOS 10 or newer and have 1g of ram.
I can play it, but I’m just waiting for fixes. Can’t pick skill shots and the arrow inserts that tell you what shots to hit aren’t working. Pretty hard to play that way, unless you just want to smack the ball around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-arcade-by-farsight-releases-tomorrow-on-xbox-live-march-28th/page/47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.