(Topic ID: 13709)

Farsight's The Pinball Arcade on PS3 and PC (plus iOS & Android)

By Jeffy777

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2632D6C6-4AF3-4855-9761-6D5071FA1BD8 (resized).png
Screenshot (resized).png
4D01DE17-493F-46CA-9A9D-FC3FDA4F1A55 (resized).png
8AABEF9D-148F-44C1-A86A-7F329509ED5A.png
89567DC4-AFA2-4E85-BDE1-C4772FB3D63B.png
Screenshot_20171027-192147.png
IMG_0179.PNG
IMG_2317 (resized).PNG
IMG_2318 (resized).PNG
IMG_3900_(resized).JPG
july_hint_2016_(resized).jpg
IIlJrJG_(resized).jpg
zacc_(resized).png
JANUARYHINT_2015.jpg
dirty_hariy.jpg
Table_Hint45.png
There are 2,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 50.
#1351 10 years ago
Quoted from FoghornLeghorn:

I've installed Steam and Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2 on my laptop as a trial run. Easy to do. But is it going to be a lot more involved when I try it on my virtuapin? For instance, will it be obvious how to map the flipper buttons and plunger? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Mapping the buttons is done inside both apps. Hopefully they are set up as arrow keys. You'll need arrow keys to select games in both.

The hyperpin / VP crap that you'll probably never use after the new stuff is installed can also be set up using arrow keys.

#1352 10 years ago

Yea.. mapping keys should be easy... I have a cab and build them, but haven't put it on one yet. Under the config just go to the key you want to set then press the button you want to use and you're good to go. Like Mark said.. I never really thought about the navigation that much, but being that best I know it does not have a tilt input on cabinets like mine where I install 2 extra buttons on the right and left of the cabinet and 4 extra buttons on the front of the machine I'd have basically 6 extra navigation buttons for left, right, up, down, enter and escape if needed.

#1353 10 years ago

Just use xpadder to map the keys. Depending on what controller you have it should show up. My pinballwizard wasn't natively mapped to keypresses and PA wouldn't let me configure those buttons. Xpadder let me assign the keys right to the controller buttons and voila!!

#1354 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The hyperpin / VP crap that you'll probably never use after the new stuff is installed can also be set up using arrow keys.

That's pretty bold.

I'm very happy with many of the tables on my VirtuaPin with visual pinball (once i tweaked them).

Im tempted to dive back in and install pinball fx2 now....

#1355 10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. Look forward to getting it all installed and running.

#1356 10 years ago

Do I get the Pro versions or just the normal ones? Sorry..probably already been answered, but didn't have time to go through this entire thread.

#1357 10 years ago

the pro version lets you open the coin door and adjust settings, and explore the playfield. not that big a deal in my opinion.

#1358 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the pro version lets you open the coin door and adjust settings, and explore the playfield. not that big a deal in my opinion.

but the default settings suck
EB for replay
family mode on

also the lack of home rom's

#1359 10 years ago

I got the pro version of season 1 and I've never done anything other than just wonder why I bought the pro version. I mean typically in any pin I've played the couple of things I may do to make them not so brutal is bump up the ball save an extra 5 or so seconds and adjust the outlane posts and maybe make an award of an extra ball at around 13-15 million. In a virtual one I haven't really thought about it so much..... yet... Seeing how good these are looking when it comes time to buy for my cab and not just for the iPad I might get the pros.

1 week later
#1360 10 years ago

Video mode started in the middle of multiball during a game of Fishtales, has anyone else experienced this?

#1361 10 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Video mode started in the middle of multiball during a game of Fishtales, has anyone else experienced this?

I have never seen anything like that in the other Emulator system what they doing to rom's with there hooks?

1 week later
#1362 10 years ago

Guys, I am having trouble with mapping the keys within Pinball Arcade without messing up the key mapping for my Visual Pinball, which also seems to be mapped with XPadder. Do I add the Pinball Arcade key mapping to the same "Pinball Wizard" file in XPadder or do I create a separate file for XPadder? Creating a separate one didn't seem to work (when I tried to go back and play Visual Pinball my flipper buttons were no longer working). Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry to be such a computer ditz.

#1363 10 years ago

It's such a bummer still no cab support....I know their latest blog entry said "coming in 2014"....but this still sucks to have to do these workarounds.

I'm DYING to give them my money for this!!.....

#1364 10 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

It's such a bummer still no cab support....I know their latest blog entry said "coming in 2014"....but this still sucks to have to do these workarounds.
I'm DYING to give them my money for this!!.....

they need more then just cab view they need to map all keys in the cab to the games keys all the time so it can work like a real game in some games you can't buy in with start button as it's not mapped all the time.

If some day they get TSPP not maping start all the time will make unable to do
player-abort feature for Alien Invasion.

or what about jack-bot with all it's stuff with hitting EB / buyin in some modes.

#1365 10 years ago

it needs to be as simple to set up as PinFX. They got it right. It was SUPER easy to set up.

#1366 10 years ago

Honestly with the key mapping thing as long as the flipper buttons work the rest isn't a big deal. . I keep my keyboard on top of the backbox on my mid-sized virtual pin all the time and if I have to hit a key on the keyboard or use the mouse every now and again to navigate it isn't that big of a deal. It would be a plus to be "right" though.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1367 10 years ago

I can't even get my flipper buttons to work without messing up the flipper buttons for when I go back to playing Visual Pinball tables.

#1368 10 years ago

The easiest way is to just move all the flipper buttons in hyperpin, VP, FP over to using left / right arrow for primary flippers and up/down arrow for secondary buttons. Its easy to do and solves a lot of problems. It also enables flipper button for game selection. Its a matter of loading VP and FP and editing the keys then saving and exiting. Then editing thr hyperpin config file and changing the left / right buttons. That's it. The rest (if there is anything else) can be handled by fplaunch script modifications. People (including myself) have written several script examples over at vpforums for this.

#1369 10 years ago

Markmon, do you have a link on vpforums for those script modifications? I still am not clear, so maybe the thread on vpforums will add some clarity.

#1370 10 years ago

The next TPA conversion is Black Rose!

#1371 10 years ago
Quoted from FoghornLeghorn:

Markmon, do you have a link on vpforums for those script modifications? I still am not clear, so maybe the thread on vpforums will add some clarity.

Poke around the "other emulation" forum. There aren't many threads in it so you'll be sure to see discussions of this. You were asking something about xpadder. So you'll have to explain now your set up is configured. The majority of is use keyboard emulators like ipaq not joystick. If it were me, I would probably dump xpadder for joytokey then set up a single, global configuration not anything that changes per app.

2 weeks later
#1373 10 years ago

Anybody else finding the new build on iOS to be a buggy mess. I can't even get Black Rose to play without it crashing before you even shoot the ball. Disappointing.

#1374 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Anybody else finding the new build on iOS to be a buggy mess. I can't even get Black Rose to play without it crashing before you even shoot the ball. Disappointing.

Not having any problems at all personally ... loving Black Rose!

#1375 10 years ago

Black Rose has some of the best lighting effects of any table on IOS. it's bizarre how wildly inconsistent the tables look on this platform....

#1376 10 years ago

Ok, I had to reset all of the settings on my iPad and now it is working fine. Weird, it was the only app having issues.

#1377 10 years ago

Black Knight 2000 has just now been confirmed to be the next table for February.

STAND UP AND FIGHT!

#1378 10 years ago

This season is shaping up quite nicely.

1 week later
#1379 10 years ago

Can't wait for Black Knight 2000 this month. I'll be streaming on Twitch.tv tomorrow (and will eventually make a video of it on Youtube).

http://www.youtube.com/user/pinballwiz45b

http://www.twitch.tv/pinballwiz45b

EDIT: Got a question. Am I allowed to post TPA videos into the Pinside Archive?

#1380 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballwiz45b:

Can't wait for Black Knight 2000 this month. I'll be streaming on Twitch.tv tomorrow (and will eventually make a video of it on Youtube).
http://www.youtube.com/user/pinballwiz45b
http://www.twitch.tv/pinballwiz45b
EDIT: Got a question. Am I allowed to post TPA videos into the Pinside Archive?

Damn kid, you're pretty good at that video game. Ever get to play any real tables? If so did the skills transfer to the real deal?

#1381 10 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Damn kid, you're pretty good at that video game. Ever get to play any real tables? If so did the skills transfer to the real deal?

some skills translate and some don't. nudging, other than sorta when to do it, doesn't translate. there's a physical nuance to it that a console or tablet can't teach.

a few real world pinball skills that can be learned from TPA:

- multiball skills: the presence of mind needed to deal with multiball modes in a strategic and orderly way. both the ability to keep track of multiple objects on different trajectories at the same time, as well as how to buy yourself time by throwing a ball into the pops or a saucer or whatever. also learning to catch and hold 2 balls and just play with one or whatever.

- obviously, the table rules. how to light lock / jackpot / multiball. what modes scale over time or with repetition, what modes stack nicely, which features aren't worth going for.

- shot risk factors for particular machines. in general, (say 80% of the time?) a shot that's risky in TPA is also risky in real life. (TPA does tend to have more safe shots, mostly due to the kickouts and bounces being more consistent than real life tables.)

- basic flipper skills. dead pass, cradle.

- intermediate/advanced flipper skills are a mixed bag. post passes work, cradle separation works. (drop catch and live catch aren't possible in TPA to my knowledge. attempts at a flick pass usually sends the ball off at full speed up a ramp, wat?).

also, lots of intangibles can be learned from TPA - stuff like patience, strategic approach, learning to spot early in a ball's path that you're about to get into trouble. i mean it's not THAT different from real life. the main difference is the TPA pins are so consistent that the highest scores are earned by developing a very strict script and sticking to it. after you figure out the perfect "script", it's just a matter of muscle memory hitting the ball at exactly the right frame after releasing from a cradle, and count on getting an identical ricochet every time. real pins are a lot more dynamic than that. but there is a decent set of skills that does translate.

#1382 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

- basic flipper skills. dead pass, cradle.

I find the dead pass is incredibly squirrelly on TPA's MB (iOS version). It doesn't really work. Instead of deadening the ball, the ball sort of weirdly flies off over the opposite out lane into the orbit.

Also... the ball feels like it's made of helium or something... needs better ball weight.

Guess you can't have everything in a simulation; it's like you said about game rules... that's really the thing that translates the best on TPA.... that and the sounds of course.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1383 10 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Actually, yes. I wrote a story here, based on how far I am in my journey. Currently I'm playing TSPP at the bowling alley, and TPA definitely helped me perform really well. Once I almost beat Alien Invasion!

#1384 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I find the dead pass is incredibly squirrelly on TPA's MB (iOS version). It doesn't really work. Instead of deadening the ball, the ball sort of weirdly flies off over the opposite out lane into the orbit.

the MB kickout does do that and it's weird. many tables give reasonably natural dead passes though.

2 weeks later
#1385 10 years ago

The free table of the month of March is Taxi. Just don't tell Farsight WHO dunnit. Whoops

(NOTE: Image is from TPA's Facebook and not an actual gameplay screenshot.)

WHO dunnit Screenshot.jpgWHO dunnit Screenshot.jpg

Post edited by Pinballwiz45b: IMG code doesn't work.

#1386 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

some skills translate and some don't...

I second everything you wrote there. The rules are the biggest one for me. Its nice to walk up to a real table for the first time and feel like you know every aspect of its rules before plunging the first ball.

#1387 10 years ago

So is Who dunnit the next table on TPA?

#1388 10 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So is WHO dunnit the next table on TPA?

Yes, they said so on their FB page...

#1389 10 years ago

Junkyard is rumored to be after Who dunnit....

#1390 10 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

junkyard is rumored to be after WHO dunnit....

That would be great. Two machines that were high on my list of "hope they add them" games!

#1391 10 years ago

The app has been mostly unplayable for me since the last update.

Bah

#1392 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The app has been mostly unplayable for me since the last update.
Bah

Is it speeding up and slowing down during gameplay? That's what mine has been doing.

#1394 10 years ago

yeah right now the app is broken on ipad2 / ipad mini. the sim keeps speeding up and slowing down, making the ball jerk around. it's unplayable. FarSight is aware and says it has a fix ready for the next update.

#1395 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

yeah right now the app is broken on ipad2 / ipad mini. the sim keeps speeding up and slowing down, making the ball jerk around. it's unplayable. FarSight is aware and says it has a fix ready for the next update.

Cool... Thanks.

Wish I would have checked before deleting and reinstalling the app..... I lost all of my scores.

#1396 10 years ago

aww, bummer. the app also has a feature built-in to back up your scores either locally or remotely on their servers. if you'd done that you wouldn't have lost your scores

#1397 10 years ago

I use the backup feature to sync my scores between several devices.

#1398 10 years ago

That's funny. I reported the speed up/slow down issue months ago on the new Whirlwind table for iPad2 and was ignored.

#1399 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

That's funny. I reported the speed up/slow down issue months ago on the new Whirlwind table for iPad2 and was ignored.

different issue.

#1400 10 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Is it speeding up and slowing down during gameplay? That's what mine has been doing.

Yeah, that's it exactly.

It's really disappointing right now waiting on the next patch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-arcade-by-farsight-releases-tomorrow-on-xbox-live-march-28th/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.