(Topic ID: 13709)

Farsight's The Pinball Arcade on PS3 and PC (plus iOS & Android)

By Jeffy777

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,473 posts
  • 395 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by LynnInDenver
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 88 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2632D6C6-4AF3-4855-9761-6D5071FA1BD8 (resized).png
Screenshot (resized).png
4D01DE17-493F-46CA-9A9D-FC3FDA4F1A55 (resized).png
8AABEF9D-148F-44C1-A86A-7F329509ED5A.png
89567DC4-AFA2-4E85-BDE1-C4772FB3D63B.png
Screenshot_20171027-192147.png
IMG_0179.PNG
IMG_2317 (resized).PNG
IMG_2318 (resized).PNG
IMG_3900_(resized).JPG
july_hint_2016_(resized).jpg
IIlJrJG_(resized).jpg
zacc_(resized).png
JANUARYHINT_2015.jpg
dirty_hariy.jpg
Table_Hint45.png

There are 2473 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 50.
#1201 5 years ago

More than likely the next pack will be the pooper, El Dorado and the City of Gold along with the awesome EBD. CBW is possible since it did place in the top ten Gottlieb poll that was done on the fan site but EBD was promised as coming by the lead developer a couple months ago when he spoke on a podcast.

Some good news for B/W DMD lovers. The Pinball Arcade recently answered someone's question on Facebook about Fish Tales and they said that it would be here "sooner than you think." No other promises than that. So I guess we can expect FT in an upcoming pack. The really good news is the hall of fame rereleases are almost done. Next year should be nothing but two never before released tables. At least on ios and android until the consoles catch up.

#1202 5 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Can I give up any hope of updates on the xbox 360?

i am gonna say yes since they are showing off the PS4 version. We will most likley have to wait for a xbox one version.

#1203 5 years ago

I for one actually like this pack better than the last one. HH is cool and all, but I get bored of it quickly and I really do not like Tee'd Off, and I am a Sys 3 fan. Sadly all of the best Gottlieb's are either licensed or are EM's which they do not like doing.

#1204 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I for one actually like this pack better than the last one. HH is cool and all, but I get bored of it quickly and I really do not like Tee'd Off, and I am a Sys 3 fan. Sadly all of the best Gottlieb's are either licensed or are EM's which they do not like doing.

Which only goes to show that the last 4 tables released pretty much suck.

#1205 5 years ago

New interview with Bobby King from Farsight:

#1206 5 years ago

So tomorrow is the long-awaited PC release. It'll be available on Steam at 10 AM PDT.

#1207 5 years ago

Yep plan on getting it on steam add me dementedwarlok

#1208 5 years ago

New post in pin arcade group. Titled steams not happening.

#1210 5 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

New post in pin arcade group. Titled steams not happening.

not accurate.

#1211 5 years ago

Yeah I just seen that my bad all!

#1212 5 years ago

UPDATE (again)
NOVEMBER 1 - PINBALLWIZ45B
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/6313-Important?p=111318#post111318

"I got the pricing fixed, but our Steam rep is in Europe (I still don't understand why), so they stopped responding to my emails about 4 hours ago. I don't have a new date or time from them yet.

Sorry about the delays. I'm quite angry myself."

#1213 5 years ago

Pinball Arcade Launches
NOV 4 @ 12:00PM - PINBALLWIZ45B
Finally! Nuff said.

#1214 5 years ago

its out in Steam!!!!

#1215 5 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

its out in Steam!!!!

Yep, and TOTAN is free!

#1216 5 years ago

Tales of the Arabian nights was free for me (unlimited plays/scores)
Thought the graphics could be better

(Steam)

#1217 5 years ago

I bought all the tables. Totan is ugly but twlight zone and some of the other look great. Totan dont do the game justice.

#1218 5 years ago

If you have an AMD/ATI video card, try disabling Post Processing in the config utility. The textures will look sharper.

#1219 5 years ago

Plays just fine on my Sony Vaio laptop. Bought season 2 pack.

#1220 5 years ago

Does anyone else notice a slight delay when using the keyboard? When I hit the left or right Shift key the flipper fires a fraction of a second after the key is fully depressed. It's enough to be noticeable and affect aiming. I'm using a wired USB keyboard and don't have any problems in other programs (including Visual Pinball). I've only tried a few tables but the delay seems to be more prominent in games like NGG vs. simpler games like Genie.

#1221 5 years ago
Quoted from Kurisu:

Does anyone else notice a slight delay when using the keyboard? When I hit the left or right Shift key the flipper fires a fraction of a second after the key is fully depressed. It's enough to be noticeable and affect aiming. I'm using a wired USB keyboard and don't have any problems in other programs (including Visual Pinball). I've only tried a few tables but the delay seems to be more prominent in games like NGG vs. simpler games like Genie.

Try turning off the post processing and see if that helps.

#1222 5 years ago

I use my xbox controller to play works great.

#1223 5 years ago
Quoted from Kurisu:

I notice it all the time, no matter what settings. Also sucks it doesn't have portrait mode.

#1224 5 years ago

There is a delay on my wired keyboard too, very noticeable, and on logitech wireless gamepad. It does severely affect playability. Post processing is off too and on a powerful computer.

#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from DareDevyl:

There is a delay on my wired keyboard too, very noticeable, and on logitech wireless gamepad. It does severely affect playability. Post processing is off too and on a powerful computer.

Go to Nvidia control panel.Manage 3d settings.Add a program setting for Pinball Arcade.exe.Set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.And Vertical Sync to ON (smooth).And last Triple Buffering to ON.I have Post processing on running in 2560x1440 16xAA.Then i forced 64xcsaa in Nvidia driver.Smooth as butter.NO LAG!.60 frames.I use 2 GTX 680 in SLI.Runs smooth and great lighting for dx9.Cant wait till they add dx11 next year.

#1226 5 years ago

Thanks for the tip Pinzzz, I will try this when I get home tonight.

#1228 5 years ago

Loving the Steam version the Pinball Aracde. Here is a quick run I did on TZ tonight.

#1229 5 years ago

Pinzzz wicked! Flipper lag is gone and game is great. Thanks so much.

#1230 5 years ago

Downloaded the PC version (haven't paid yet), but boy, it sure has a lot better graphics than on Android. Nice to see the neon light on CV working. Will buy season 1 for sure, but lots of clunkers in season 2.

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from Zappa:

Downloaded the PC version (haven't paid yet), but boy, it sure has a lot better graphics than on Android. Nice to see the neon light on CV working. Will buy season 1 for sure, but lots of clunkers in season 2.

It's really nice on the PC, supposed to get even better with the updates down the road and will be comparable to PS4 looks. Some of the graphics needs updating (Whitewater for one). T2 looks good but it could look better, in particular, the lighting.

#1232 5 years ago

Just saw this thread today, has anyone tried it out in portrait mode on a rotated monitor?

#1233 5 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Just saw this thread today, has anyone tried it out in portrait mode on a rotated monitor?

I just tried it, this was the result...
pinball_arcade.jpg

#1234 5 years ago

Yes, it sucks it doesn't have portrait mode. First thing I tried.

#1235 5 years ago

When and if this is ever 3D it will be killer.

#1236 5 years ago
Quoted from DareDevyl:

Pinzzz wicked! Flipper lag is gone and game is great. Thanks so much.

Glad to hear.The game ran horrible as is.I was so bummed.It took me a couple of hours to figure out the problems.But i am so glad i nailed it!.Farsight needs help in this department.

#1237 5 years ago

I have to download some utility to help with the lag, but once I got that running I was able to set all the video settings to their maximun. It looks good, maybe I'm expecting too much or maybe I'm sticking my nose to close to the screen but I do wish the textures were in extreme detail. The lag is gone thought, oh my gosh was that good to get fixed!

no portrait setting, they know that's what everyone wants!! I wonder if it will be an add on or pay feature in the future? Or will they try to sell a cabinet version of the software separately? Just speculating... still sad but at least I can play in 1920x1080 now instead of just on my phone! So happy

#1238 5 years ago

I still haven't downloaded it yet, but feel that their versions of stuff will be the best once everything is buffed out and setup for full screen use with a rotated monitor. I have one of my virtual pins just waiting for it to be fully functional.

#1239 5 years ago

I've now had time to download and play some of the tables... the verdict is... The Pinball Arcade is friggan awesome!.... and this is with a pretty aged machine. The main core of the machine is 7 years old. My main PC monitor only goes up to 1680x1050 and at that resolution with no options it looks pretty damn good.

I went ahead and upped the Antialiasing to 8x and turned on the post processing and ball reflection to high and it runs at an even 60 FPS solid according to FRAPS. My pc is pretty old too overall. It has had some upgrades over the years, but it is a Q6600 Quad core running at 3.1GHZ, 4 Gig of RAM and a Geforce 8800GT running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have not noticed any flipper lag regardless of those settings. Compared to the iPad I think the graphics look quite a bit better. In BOP and TOTAN the lighting looks very impressive. Just looking at the light bulbs around the brides head in BOP look amazing. Overall the tables have a MUCH better appearance and presence. Some of this I believe is resolution and the other part is the fact that a real gaming video card has a lot to do with how the specular and color effects are applied as opposed to the piddly processing in the ipads.

Like I mentioned before.. as soon as full screen cabinet, backbox, and DMD mode is implemented this setup is going in my VP cab as another tool in the toolbox for it to run. My cab only has 2 screens as I use my backbox monitor for the glass and DMD, but honestly even if it had no backbox support or just static backglass playing these tables full screen with a DMD would be amazing.

I can only imagine when I try this out on my other monitor or my TV that it will look even better. It will also give me a benchmark for how wimpy of a system can perform at an acceptable level.

#1240 5 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

I've now had time to download and play some of the tables... the verdict is... The Pinball Arcade is friggan awesome!.... and this is with a pretty aged machine. The main core of the machine is 7 years old. My main PC monitor only goes up to 1680x1050 and at that resolution with no options it looks pretty damn good.
I went ahead and upped the Antialiasing to 8x and turned on the post processing and ball reflection to high and it runs at an even 60 FPS solid according to FRAPS. My pc is pretty old too overall. It has had some upgrades over the years, but it is a Q6600 Quad core running at 3.1GHZ, 4 Gig of RAM and a Geforce 8800GT running Windows 7 64 bit.
I have not noticed any flipper lag regardless of those settings. Compared to the iPad I think the graphics look quite a bit better. In BOP and TOTAN the lighting looks very impressive. Just looking at the light bulbs around the brides head in BOP look amazing. Overall the tables have a MUCH better appearance and presence. Some of this I believe is resolution and the other part is the fact that a real gaming video card has a lot to do with how the specular and color effects are applied as opposed to the piddly processing in the ipads.
Like I mentioned before.. as soon as full screen cabinet, backbox, and DMD mode is implemented this setup is going in my VP cab as another tool in the toolbox for it to run. My cab only has 2 screens as I use my backbox monitor for the glass and DMD, but honestly even if it had no backbox support or just static backglass playing these tables full screen with a DMD would be amazing.
I can only imagine when I try this out on my other monitor or my TV that it will look even better. It will also give me a benchmark for how wimpy of a system can perform at an acceptable level.

That definitely isn't an under powered machine if I tryed this on my 3 year old laptop it'd fail.

#1241 5 years ago

It certainly isn't new, but Yea... I didn't say it was chumpy, but compared to even an i3, i5, i7 or any AMD that is 3+ GHZ it is wimpy CPU wise. The original CPU was a Core2Duo, but it was running at the same clock speed and the machine had a video card upgrade from when I built it. Still.. the 8800gt is what.. about 3+ years old?

Anyway... I didn't mention it before, but I checked the CPU usage... and it uses VERY LITTLE CPU. It used just 50% of ONE core on this 3.1GHZ original Q6600 Quad Core.... (stock clock is 2.4) so.. as long as you have a video card that is as good or better than an 8800GT regardless of age and processor that is running at 2.5-3GHZ or higher it should be no problem for the CPU to handle.

New Adobe Photoshop Image copy-552.jpg

#1242 5 years ago

Portrait mode for PC is coming in the next update, which has already been submitted to Steam for approval, so we'll probably see it Monday.

#1243 5 years ago

I got that email about portrait mode, I'm really excited about that!

#1244 5 years ago

SWEET... if it does I'll get my first chance to fool with it... Only thing I wonder is that if you have an option with the portrait mode to run the DMD and the backbox on ONE monitor or it it would have to be 3 independent ones. .

#1245 5 years ago

Hopefully one day they'll improve the physics to enable unpredictable ball spin and flipper tricks like live catches. Until then this remains a pale imitation of the real thing.

#1246 5 years ago

The delay in the flippers is a well-known issue and is usually attributable to HD. Playing this on an SD screen on PS3 has no lag, whereas I took it over to a friend's house to try it out in HD and there was some slightly noticeable lag. Other people have reported severe lag, depending on the HDTV. Some say none.

Not sure if you are using HD monitors or if those are affecting the same way an HDTV does, but that is one possibility.

You can say it is a pale imitation of real pinball, true, but at the moment it seems to also be the best imitation available.

EDIT: Also in the PS3 version at least you can do live catches.

The biggest issue is that the physics are much more predictable in comparison to real pinball. On the other hand, this can only go so far--it's still very hard to predict the ball consistently on a table like Whirlwind, for instance, because the table itself makes the ball spin so unpredictably.

#1247 5 years ago

I have been playing in window mode instead of full screen. This has alleviated my flipper lag. Granted, the lag with full screen is only slight, but it's enough to be noticeable and affects game play.

I have to say, playing on the PC with my nice 22" video monitor is 100 times better than the iPad. I'm really enjoying it.

#1248 5 years ago
Quoted from Kurisu:

I have been playing in window mode instead of full screen. This has alleviated my flipper lag. Granted, the lag with full screen is only slight, but it's enough to be noticeable and affects game play.
I have to say, playing on the PC with my nice 22" video monitor is 100 times better than the iPad. I'm really enjoying it.

Flipper lag can be disabled by disabling pre rendered frames in the video card driver.

#1249 5 years ago

On TV's "Flipper Lag" isn't typically flipper lag, but rather TV LAG... The reason most TV's over 32" have a GAME mode... it is because all of the buffering and all sorts of other fancy settings and filters and such that they use for normal TV and movies. If your TV has a GAME mode use it. If it does not turn off all of the post processing things that the TV offers and usually any perceived lag will be gone. The easiest way is if you have a TV that has "lag" hook that computer up to a real computer monitor that is fairly new... (say 3 years or less) and see if you have the issue. Most of the time if you A/B test that way folks will see that the problem is the TV or rather the TV settings. True.. some TV's are just crap and no matter what you do they will be slow... especially anything that is older.

A perfect example is playing an xbox or PS3 on a TV not using the game mode... sometimes you will see odd screen artifacts and lag just because you aren't using the correct video mode. Now.. we all know consoles don't lag... so if you notice lag on a console the problem is the TV or rather it's settings.

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

On TV's "Flipper Lag" isn't typically flipper lag, but rather TV LAG... The reason most TV's over 32" have a GAME mode... it is because all of the buffering and all sorts of other fancy settings and filters and such that they use for normal TV and movies. If your TV has a GAME mode use it. If it does not turn off all of the post processing things that the TV offers and usually any perceived lag will be gone. The easiest way is if you have a TV that has "lag" hook that computer up to a real computer monitor that is fairly new... (say 3 years or less) and see if you have the issue. Most of the time if you A/B test that way folks will see that the problem is the TV or rather the TV settings. True.. some TV's are just crap and no matter what you do they will be slow... especially anything that is older.
A perfect example is playing an xbox or PS3 on a TV not using the game mode... sometimes you will see odd screen artifacts and lag just because you aren't using the correct video mode. Now.. we all know consoles don't lag... so if you notice lag on a console the problem is the TV or rather it's settings.

Most modern tvs (LCDs in particular) are plagued with input lag that you can minimize (but not totally get rid of) by turning off pretty much all video processing options. The problem with the Pinball Arcade (most notably in the PS3 version as the XBOX version doesn't seem to suffer quite as much) is that much of the lag you see is there in the game not the TV. As a test I connected my ps3 to several displays that either have extremely low input lag or for all practical purposes no input lag. I used an HDMI connection in all cases (with the HD CRT in addition to the HDMI I tried component as well). I tried a BENQ and ASUS gaming monitor a plasma TV as well as an HD CRT TV. In all cases I disabled any video processing options that might induce input lag and then also another test simply using the recommended "gaming" setting(s) for the displays. In the end some displays had more or less lag than others but none of them eliminated it. It was still there and noticeable and annoying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
There are 2473 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 50.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside